* Addition of "xmlto" to install documentation
@ 2007-10-13 20:42 Markus Elfring
From: Markus Elfring @ 2007-10-13 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

Hello,

I have cloned the current Git release to my computer. I resolved all
dependencies that were mentioned in the file "INSTALL". But when I've
tried "make install install-doc" I got the message that "xmlto" was not
found on my openSUSE 10.3 system. (I have installed it now.)
Would you like to add this tool to the system requirements in the
documentation?

Regards,
Markus

* Re: Addition of "xmlto" to install documentation
@ 2007-10-13 22:29 ` Alex Riesen
From: Alex Riesen @ 2007-10-13 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Markus Elfring; +Cc: git

Markus Elfring, Sat, Oct 13, 2007 22:42:18 +0200:

> I have cloned the current Git release to my computer. I resolved all
> dependencies that were mentioned in the file "INSTALL". But when I've
> tried "make install install-doc" I got the message that "xmlto" was not
> found on my openSUSE 10.3 system. (I have installed it now.)
> Would you like to add this tool to the system requirements in the
> documentation?

It is already there, in the same INSTALL file:

 - To build and install documentation suite, you need to have
   the asciidoc/xmlto toolchain.  Because not many people are
   inclined to install the tools, the default build target
   ("make all") does _not_ build them.

* Re: Addition of "xmlto" to install documentation
@ 2007-10-14  0:43 ` Johannes Schindelin
From: Johannes Schindelin @ 2007-10-14  0:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Markus Elfring; +Cc: git

Hi,

On Sat, 13 Oct 2007, Markus Elfring wrote:

> I have cloned the current Git release to my computer. I resolved all
> dependencies that were mentioned in the file "INSTALL". But when I've
> tried "make install install-doc" I got the message that "xmlto" was not
> found on my openSUSE 10.3 system. (I have installed it now.) Would you
> like to add this tool to the system requirements in the documentation?

Well, it is not strictly necessary to build git, and not even to install
it, if you have the "man" branch.

Ciao,
Dscho

* Re: Addition of "xmlto" to install documentation
@ 2007-10-14 19:38 Markus Elfring
From: Markus Elfring @ 2007-10-14 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johannes Schindelin; +Cc: git