* Re: uuid/blkid performance problem with large number of mounts - was: Re:  stale nfs file handle with exported loopback mounts
@ 2007-11-15  7:54 devzero
From: devzero @ 2007-11-15  7:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Neil Brown; +Cc: J. Bruce Fields, NFS

> No one (that I know of) looks at the issue tracker on sourceforge at all.
ah -ok, sorry - i didn`t know. since there were recent  entries  from octob=
er, i thought it was an official way to report bugs.

> I have it on my personal "list of things to look at one day", so maybe
> it won't get forgotten.
thanks. =

if i`m allowed to add a comment:
a public bugtracker has one advantage: others can easily see that this or a=
nother bug exists and maybe they can provide (parts of) a solution or don`t=
 need to ask for such.
i`m just too used to open source having open bugtrackers, so i thought it w=
as the right way to go.  =

if bugs not being tracked there and and you explicitly discourage using it =
- what about disabling the bugtracker entirely ?

roland

> -----Urspr=FCngliche Nachricht-----

for the second problem i have opened a ticket at =

> > =

> > http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=3Ddetail&aid=3D1831403&gr=
oup_id=3D14&atid=3D100014  =

@ 2007-11-15 16:53 ` J. Bruce Fields
From: J. Bruce Fields @ 2007-11-15 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: devzero; +Cc: Neil Brown, NFS

On Thu, Nov 15, 2007 at 08:54:24AM +0100, devzero@web.de wrote:
> > No one (that I know of) looks at the issue tracker on sourceforge at
> > all.
> ah -ok, sorry - i didn`t know. since there were recent  entries  from
> october, i thought it was an official way to report bugs.
>
> > I have it on my personal "list of things to look at one day", so
> > maybe it won't get forgotten.
> thanks.  if i`m allowed to add a comment: a public bugtracker has one
> advantage: others can easily see that this or another bug exists and
> maybe they can provide (parts of) a solution or don`t need to ask for
> such.  i`m just too used to open source having open bugtrackers, so i
> thought it was the right way to go.

The bug tracker at http://bugzilla.kernel.org/ is actually used, at
least by some people.

There's also http://bugzilla.linux-nfs.org/.  I think the kernel.org one
is probably be preferred at this point, especially for anything in a
mainstream kernel.

> if bugs not being tracked there and and you explicitly discourage
> using it - what about disabling the bugtracker entirely ?

That would make sense to me if there's an easy way to do it.

--b.

@ 2007-11-16  3:24         ` Neil Brown
From: Neil Brown @ 2007-11-16  3:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: J. Bruce Fields; +Cc: devzero, NFS, Steve Dickson, Trond Myklebust

On Thursday November 15, bfields@fieldses.org wrote:

> I probably won't do anything with it anytime soon either, but if you
> could add me too (I seem to have an account under "jbfields") if you
> think it might help.

No idea if it will help, but it is unlikely to hurt, so you are now on
the list of project members.

NeilBrown

@ 2007-11-16  3:18       ` J. Bruce Fields
From: J. Bruce Fields @ 2007-11-16  3:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Trond Myklebust; +Cc: Neil Brown, devzero, NFS, Steve Dickson

@ 2007-11-16  1:58       ` Trond Myklebust
From: Trond Myklebust @ 2007-11-16  1:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Neil Brown; +Cc: bfields, devzero, NFS, Steve Dickson

On Thu, 2007-11-15 at 20:57 -0500, Trond Myklebust wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-11-16 at 12:10 +1100, Neil Brown wrote:
>
> > If anyone would like to dig through it and post the things that still
> > seem relevant, I'd be happy to make you a member of the group (if you
> > aren't already).
>
> I was one of the original members when that group was founded, but
> appear to have fallen out of grace over the years :-)
>
> I don't know that I'll have time to do anything about it over the next
> few days, but if you make me a member, I'll try to scan through the
> stuff some time in the non-too-distant future.

Oh... My sourceforge username is still 'trondmy'

@ 2007-11-16  1:57     ` Trond Myklebust
From: Trond Myklebust @ 2007-11-16  1:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Neil Brown; +Cc: bfields, devzero, NFS, Steve Dickson

On Fri, 2007-11-16 at 12:10 +1100, Neil Brown wrote:

> If anyone would like to dig through it and post the things that still
> seem relevant, I'd be happy to make you a member of the group (if you
> aren't already).

I was one of the original members when that group was founded, but
appear to have fallen out of grace over the years :-)

I don't know that I'll have time to do anything about it over the next
few days, but if you make me a member, I'll try to scan through the
stuff some time in the non-too-distant future.

Cheers
  Trond

@ 2007-11-16  1:10   ` Neil Brown
From: Neil Brown @ 2007-11-16  1:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Trond Myklebust; +Cc: bfields, devzero, NFS, Steve Dickson

On Thursday November 15, trond.myklebust@fys.uio.no wrote:

> On Thu, 2007-11-15 at 21:07 +0100, devzero@web.de wrote:
> > > Is it possible to turn this feature off on sourceforge? I
> >
> > yes - iirc, i have seen projects without  a tracker or without other
> > option, being on by default.
> >
> > if you want to disable it, maybe this one helps:
> >
> > https://sourceforge.net/docs/G03/en/#tracker
>
> That would have to be up to Neil since he is the only one with
> administrator rights on that list.

Actually there are several people with admin rights, some of which I
haven't heard from for ages.
  Chip Salzenberg
  H.J. Lu
  Jay Weber
  Marc Merlin
  Neil Brown
  steved

Anyway, I have made the 4 trackers (bugs, patches, support requests,
feature requests) visible to group members only.  I suspect it would
be good for someone to go through at least the more recent ones.
There is one with patches for man page typos, one with a patch to use
netlink instead of ioctl to get list of local interfaces, one
reporting that nfsstat doesn't match the man page (--mounts or
--mounted)  etc.

@ 2007-11-15 20:12 ` Trond Myklebust
From: Trond Myklebust @ 2007-11-15 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: devzero; +Cc: Neil Brown, bfields, NFS

@ 2007-11-15 20:07 devzero
From: devzero @ 2007-11-15 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Neil Brown, Trond Myklebust; +Cc: bfields, NFS

> Is it possible to turn this feature off on sourceforge? I

yes - iirc, i have seen projects without  a tracker or without other option=
, being on by default.

if you want to disable it, maybe this one helps:

https://sourceforge.net/docs/G03/en/#tracker

Tracker

Trackers may be flagged as hidden by project administrators. No means is pr=
ovided to completely remove a Tracker. All data will be preserved within hi=
dden Trackers, but it will not be accessible by site users.

To hide a Tracker as a project administrator:

   1. Click on the "Tracker" link for the project.
   2. Click on the "Admin" link.
   3. Click on the name of the desired Tracker.
   4. Click on the "Update Preferences" link.
   5. Change the "Visibility of this Tracker" pulldown menu value as desire=
d. Default is "Visible to all site users". A change to "Visible to project =
members only" will restrict view of the Tracker to members of your project =
team. A change to "Not visible (hidden)" will prevent view of the Tracker b=
y any site user, including members of your project team; only Tracker admin=
s and project admins will then be able to see this Tracker when in the admi=
n view.
   6. Click on the "SUBMIT" button to complete the change.

Tracker items may be removed by SourceForge.net staff, if given suitable re=
ason. The "Deleted" Tracker item "Status" value does not actually delete Tr=
acker items or remove them from view; this status option is provided for so=
rting purposes. No means is provided for project administrators and site us=
ers to remove Tracker items on their own. If you need a Tracker item remove=
d, please contact the SourceForge.net team. Similar is true of comments on =
Tracker items.

regards
roland

> -----Urspr=FCngliche Nachricht-----

___________________________________________________________________________=
___
Jetzt neu! Im riesigen WEB.DE Club SmartDrive Dateien freigeben und mit =

Freunden teilen! http://www.freemail.web.de/club/smartdrive_ttc.htm/?mc=3D0=
21134

@ 2007-11-15 17:23   ` Trond Myklebust
From: Trond Myklebust @ 2007-11-15 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Neil Brown; +Cc: J. Bruce Fields, devzero, NFS

@ 2007-11-15  5:26 ` Neil Brown
From: Neil Brown @ 2007-11-15  5:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: devzero; +Cc: J. Bruce Fields, NFS

@ 2007-11-13 22:44 devzero
From: devzero @ 2007-11-13 22:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Neil Brown; +Cc: J. Bruce Fields, NFS

since i posted 2 problems in one mail - and one problem is solved now, for =
the second problem i have opened a ticket at =

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=3Ddetail&aid=3D1831403&group_=
id=3D14&atid=3D100014  =

( uuid/blkid performance problem with large number of mounts )

so this won`t get lost.

regards
roland

> -----Urspr=FCngliche Nachricht-----

bmailer - at least two followups with attachments seem to be lost on sendin=
g and are not in my sent folder anymore....
> =

> anyway - here is a second try, but probably worse than what i have writte=
n before :)
> =

> =

> first off, thanks for the patch Neil, things look _much_ better now and e=
xporting loopback mounts now basiscally works again.
> nice to see that my posting helped finding bugs.
> =

> maybe i have two more bugs for you :)
> =

> i have loopback mounts on the server and exported the parent dir with cro=
ssmnt option.
> =

> after mounting for the first time on the client, i`m getting "Invalid arg=
ument" for each loopback-mounted dir, if i do an ls -la on /mnt.
> this only happens _once_ and seems to be a server problem, because i can =
reboot the client and remount , i never see that errors again.
> =

> besides that, all seems to work fine.
> =

> as neil suggested, i have made a tcpdump of this available at:
> http://82.141.46.148/bugs/nfs/tcpdump.out.bz2
> =

> =

> furthermore, there is a very strange performance issue i was able to trac=
k down to uuid/blkid support.
> =

> i recognized this issue when i exported a directory containing a very lar=
ge number of loopback mounts via crossmnt export option.
> ls -la on the clients mountpoint seemed to hung and i could see mountd be=
ing busy, eating 100% cpu for quite a while.
> =

> the time needed for ls to finish seems to grow exponentially with the num=
ber of loopback-mounts inside the exported directory - i also tried with 10=
00 loopback mounts and mountd being busy for several minutes with this.
> =

> i have made a strace of mountd available at:
> http://82.141.46.148/bugs/nfs/mountd.strace.txt.bz2
> =

> you can see that mountd seems to be busy doing the same things over and o=
ver again, looks that it does stat64() for all devices in /etc/blkid.tab fo=
r each loopback mount, weird.
> =

> here is some "strace -c -p $PID_OF_MOUNTD" for comparison -  without uuid=
/blkid support compiled in it looks like this: