* Packet per Second
@ 2007-12-14 15:34 ` Flávio Pires
From: Flávio Pires @ 2007-12-14 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netdev; +Cc: bridge

Hi all,

It's my first time using usenet...

Well, I work on an ISP and we have a linux box acting as a
bridge+firewall. With this bridge+firewall we control the packet rate
per second from each client and from our repeaters. But I can`t
measure the packet rate per IP. Is there any tool for this?

Actually, what I want is to measure the packet rate per IP and
generate graphics with mrtg or rrdtool, but for this I must have the
number of packets per second of each client :)

Thank you all
--
Flávio

--

I'm trying a new usenet client for Mac, Nemo OS X.
You can download it at http://www.malcom-mac.com/nemo

* [Bridge] Packet per Second
@ 2007-12-14 15:34 ` Flávio Pires
From: Flávio Pires @ 2007-12-14 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bridge; +Cc: netdev

Hi all,

It's my first time using usenet...

Well, I work on an ISP and we have a linux box acting as a
bridge+firewall. With this bridge+firewall we control the packet rate
per second from each client and from our repeaters. But I can`t
measure the packet rate per IP. Is there any tool for this?

Actually, what I want is to measure the packet rate per IP and
generate graphics with mrtg or rrdtool, but for this I must have the
number of packets per second of each client :)

Thank you all
--
Flávio

--

I'm trying a new usenet client for Mac, Nemo OS X.
You can download it at http://www.malcom-mac.com/nemo

* Re: [Bridge] Packet per Second
@ 2007-12-14 16:56   ` Stephen Hemminger
From: Stephen Hemminger @ 2007-12-14 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Flávio Pires; +Cc: bridge, netdev

On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 15:34:10 +0000 (UTC)
Flávio Pires <flavio.defreitas@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> It's my first time using usenet...
>
> Well, I work on an ISP and we have a linux box acting as a
> bridge+firewall. With this bridge+firewall we control the packet rate
> per second from each client and from our repeaters. But I can`t
> measure the packet rate per IP. Is there any tool for this?
>
> Actually, what I want is to measure the packet rate per IP and
> generate graphics with mrtg or rrdtool, but for this I must have the
> number of packets per second of each client :)
>
> Thank you all
> --
> Flávio

Not that I know of, but you might look at:
http://www.bandwidtharbitrator.com/
--
Stephen Hemminger <shemminger@linux-foundation.org>

From: Stephen Hemminger @ 2007-12-14 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Flávio Pires; +Cc: netdev, bridge

@ 2007-12-14 17:30     ` Flávio Pires
From: Flávio Pires @ 2007-12-14 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netdev; +Cc: bridge

In article <20071214085602.11a09070@deepthought> Stephen
Hemminger<shemminger@linux-foundation.org> wrote:
>  On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 15:34:10 +0000 (UTC)
>  Fl‡vio Pires <flavio.defreitas@gmail.com> wrote:
>>   Hi all,
>>
>>   It's my first time using usenet...
>>
>>   Well, I work on an ISP and we have a linux box acting as a
>> bridge+firewall. With this bridge+firewall we control the packet
>> rate per second from each client and from our repeaters. But I can`t
>> measure the packet rate per IP. Is there any tool for this?
>>
>>   Actually, what I want is to measure the packet rate per IP and
>> generate graphics with mrtg or rrdtool, but for this I must have the
>> number of packets per second of each client :)
>>
>>   Thank you all
>>   --
>>   Fl‡vio
>>

>  Not that I know of, but you might look at:
>  http://www.bandwidtharbitrator.com/

Yeah, we have a proprietary solution from etinc it does bandwidth
control and firewall... but using his firewall let this machine too
slow, so we created a box just for firewall... Then we need a way to
measure pps per host so we can determine which limits fits better to
our clients and our own needs.

From: Flávio Pires @ 2007-12-14 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bridge; +Cc: netdev

In article <20071214085602.11a09070@deepthought> Stephen
Hemminger<shemminger@linux-foundation.org> wrote:
>  On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 15:34:10 +0000 (UTC)
>  Fl‡vio Pires <flavio.defreitas@gmail.com> wrote:
>>   Hi all,
>>
>>   It's my first time using usenet...
>>
>>   Well, I work on an ISP and we have a linux box acting as a
>> bridge+firewall. With this bridge+firewall we control the packet
>> rate per second from each client and from our repeaters. But I can`t
>> measure the packet rate per IP. Is there any tool for this?
>>
>>   Actually, what I want is to measure the packet rate per IP and
>> generate graphics with mrtg or rrdtool, but for this I must have the
>> number of packets per second of each client :)
>>
>>   Thank you all
>>   --
>>   Fl‡vio
>>

>  Not that I know of, but you might look at:
>  http://www.bandwidtharbitrator.com/

Yeah, we have a proprietary solution from etinc it does bandwidth
control and firewall... but using his firewall let this machine too
slow, so we created a box just for firewall... Then we need a way to
measure pps per host so we can determine which limits fits better to
our clients and our own needs.

--

I'm trying a new usenet client for Mac, Nemo OS X.
You can download it at http://www.malcom-mac.com/nemo

* Re: Packet per Second
  (?)
  (?)
@ 2007-12-14 22:31 ` Glen Turner
From: Glen Turner @ 2007-12-14 22:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Flávio Pires; +Cc: netdev, bridge

On Fri, 2007-12-14 at 15:34 +0000, Flávio Pires wrote:

> Well, I work on an ISP and we have a linux box acting as a
> bridge+firewall. With this bridge+firewall we control the packet rate
> per second from each client and from our repeaters. But I can`t
> measure the packet rate per IP. Is there any tool for this?

The usual approach is to generate NetFlow records -- there are
a number of Linux tools for this. Collect them with a collector
(flow-tools being a common choice). Then have a Perl script
which reads the flow records, processes them whichever way you
desire, and drops the result into a rrdtool file (there are modules
for both reading the flow-tools data and outputing in the rrdtool
format). The rrdtool utilities have a limited range of graphs,
but there is a huge selection of graphing packages from other
authors for rrdtool-stored data (Drraw, etc).  Flow-tools also
has some third-party analysis tools, some of those have good
"top talker" statistics.

This is a lot of work, since you are really putting a complete
measurement infrastructure in place to get the one statistic
you desire.  But I'd encourage you to do that, since knowing
one statistic usually leads to further questions of the data.

--
Glen Turner, Senior Network Engineer
Australia's Academic & Research Network    www.aarnet.edu.au

* Re: Packet per Second
@ 2007-12-17 11:18   ` Flávio Pires
From: Flávio Pires @ 2007-12-17 11:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netdev

In article <1197671513.5973.10.camel@andromache> Glen
Turner<gdt@gdt.id.au> wrote:
>  On Fri, 2007-12-14 at 15:34 +0000, Fl‡vio Pires wrote:
>>   Well, I work on an ISP and we have a linux box acting as a
>> bridge+firewall. With this bridge+firewall we control the packet
>> rate per second from each client and from our repeaters. But I can`t
>> measure the packet rate per IP. Is there any tool for this?

>  The usual approach is to generate NetFlow records -- there are
>  a number of Linux tools for this. Collect them with a
> collector(flow-tools being a common choice). Then have a Perl script
> which reads the flow records, processes them whichever way you
> desire, and drops the result into a rrdtool file (there are modules
> for both reading the flow-tools data and outputing in the
> rrdtoolformat). The rrdtool utilities have a limited range of graphs,
> but there is a huge selection of graphing packages from other authors
> for rrdtool-stored data (Drraw, etc).  Flow-tools also
>  has some third-party analysis tools, some of those have good
>  "top talker" statistics.

>  This is a lot of work, since you are really putting a
> completemeasurement infrastructure in place to get the one statistic
> you desire.  But I'd encourage you to do that, since knowing
>  one statistic usually leads to further questions of the data

Thx for the answer Glen,

I alread though about something like this. But, isn`t NetFlow just for
Cisco IOS ?

--

@ 2007-12-17 12:22     ` Matti Aarnio
From: Matti Aarnio @ 2007-12-17 12:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Flávio Pires; +Cc: netdev

On Mon, Dec 17, 2007 at 11:18:57AM +0000, Flávio Pires wrote:
> In article <1197671513.5973.10.camel@andromache> Glen
> Turner<gdt@gdt.id.au> wrote:
> >  On Fri, 2007-12-14 at 15:34 +0000, Fl‡vio Pires wrote:
> >>   Well, I work on an ISP and we have a linux box acting as a
> >> bridge+firewall. With this bridge+firewall we control the packet
> >> rate per second from each client and from our repeaters. But I can`t
> >> measure the packet rate per IP. Is there any tool for this?
>
> Thx for the answer Glen,
>
> I alread though about something like this. But, isn`t NetFlow just for
> Cisco IOS ?

You probably want this, or at least its sources:

   http://packages.debian.org/stable/net/fprobe-ng

the "non-ng" version is probably called:   fprobe-ulog

Then you want also NetFlow collector/accounter..

/Matti Aarnio

* Re: Packet per Second
@ 2007-12-18  0:26     ` Glen Turner
From: Glen Turner @ 2007-12-18  0:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Flávio Pires; +Cc: netdev

[Apologies for off-topic]

On Mon, 2007-12-17 at 11:18 +0000, Flávio Pires wrote:
> I alread though about something like this. But, isn`t NetFlow just for
> Cisco IOS ?

NetFlow is a trade mark of Cisco Systems Inc (USA).

Packets in the identical format used by NetFlow are produced by
a wide range of networking equipment, including a number of
Linux tools.  I've seen the Linux tools used in customer
networks but I've never evaluated them myself, which is why
I'm didn't make a recommendation of a particular tool for the
sampler.

Because of the trade mark you'll often find NetFlow traffic
samplers under names other than NetFlow (eg, Juniper uses
"cflowd" as a synonym for NetFlow).  There is one exception:
sFlow is *not* identical to the NetFlow format.

If you want more information on ISP accounting tools, the NANOG
list is a more suitable forum.  The Cisco-NSP and Juniper-NSP
lists often host useful discussions too.  The archives of all
these lists are online.

Best wishes, Glen

--
Glen Turner   <http://www.gdt.id.au/~gdt/>