* KVM migration problem on Ubuntu
@ 2008-02-09 12:12 Kay Hayen
From: Kay Hayen @ 2008-02-09 12:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kvm-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

Hello people,

I have a Ubuntu gutsy minimal VM made as a testing environment for our system
software. In the mean time, I upgraded to Hardy, largely driven by the hope
that it will improve certain issues I had.

Well, but it seems, now the virtual machine no longer finds a network device
anymore. I think I saw that Ubuntu recently updated the linux-virtual kernel
in Hardy to include some rtl chip support. My suspect is that kvm changed the
network device it emulates?

Well, now I it seems I am stuck with an inaccessible VM. I tried to convert
with qemu-img to "raw", and then loop back mount as it says in the FAQ, but
it claims not an ext3 there. I would love to chroot into the machine to
update it, but I have no clue if that's possible.

Will I really need to find a Gutsy machine to transfer my VM to, in order to
update it? Or is there something that I am missing.

Yours,
Kay Hayen

* Re: KVM migration problem on Ubuntu
@ 2008-02-10  0:25 ` Uri Lublin
From: Uri Lublin @ 2008-02-10  0:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kay Hayen; +Cc: kvm-devel

[...]

Hi Kay
Just to be clear, are you trying to upgrade you host or your guest (VM) ?
Please specify your Host CPU/OS and your guest OS.
What is the command line you are using to start your VM ?
What are the errors ?
You are correct about the default network adapter emulated, it is now rtl8139, and not ne2000.
If your guest is configured to use ne2000 network adapter, try adding to your command line "-net nic,model=ne2000" (replacing "-net nic").
Hope that helps,
Uri.

* Re: KVM migration problem on Ubuntu
@ 2008-02-10 14:58   ` Rick Clark
From: Rick Clark @ 2008-02-10 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kvm-devel; +Cc: Kay Hayen, Soren Hansen

On Saturday 09 February 2008 19:25:57 Uri Lublin wrote:
> [...]

2.6.24-7-virtual should work if you are using the Ubuntu packaged KVM.  We
updated KVM, but the kernel was delayed for a while.   The virtual flavor of
the kernel contains minimal drivers so it must be updated anytime there is a
change.

If you have the the server kernel flavor installed, that should work so you
can update and get the newer virtual kernel.

If this does not fix your problem, or you have other issues with Ubuntu and
KVM,  please file a bug in Launchpad.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/kvm

Rick
Ubuntu Server project

> Well, now I it seems I am stuck with an inaccessible VM. I tried to convert
> with qemu-img to "raw", and then loop back mount as it says in the FAQ, but
> it claims not an ext3 there. I would love to chroot into the machine to
> update it, but I have no clue if that's possible.
>
> Will I really need to find a Gutsy machine to transfer my VM to, in order
> to update it? Or is there something that I am missing.
>
> Yours,
> Kay Hayen

>--------------------------------------
>
> Hi Kay
> Just to be clear, are you trying to upgrade you host or your guest (VM) ?
> Please specify your Host CPU/OS and your guest OS.
> What is the command line you are using to start your VM ?
> What are the errors ?
> You are correct about the default network adapter emulated, it is now
> rtl8139, and not ne2000. If your guest is configured to use ne2000 network
> adapter, try adding to your command line "-net nic,model=ne2000" (replacing
> "-net nic"). Hope that helps,
> Uri.

[-- Attachment #1.2: This is a digitally signed message part. --]

* Re: KVM migration problem on Ubuntu
@ 2008-02-10 15:59   ` Kay Hayen
From: Kay Hayen @ 2008-02-10 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uri Lublin; +Cc: kvm-devel

Hello Uri,

thanks for the reply, that is going to work for me. I am indeed trying to:

> Just to be clear, are you trying to upgrade you host or your guest (VM) ?

Yes.

> Please specify your Host CPU/OS and your guest OS.

Ubuntu Hardy Development as Host, Ubuntu Gutsy as Minimal,
kernel "linux-virtual".

> What is the command line you are using to start your VM ?
> What are the errors ?
> You are correct about the default network adapter emulated, it is now
> rtl8139, and not ne2000. If your guest is configured to use ne2000 network
> adapter, try adding to your command line "-net nic,model=ne2000" (replacing
> "-net nic"). Hope that helps,

If that's possible to re-activate the old network card, I will be able to
update the virtual machine again. Thanks a lot.

Because the virtual machine is supposed to be small in size, I had removed all
other kernels.

Yours,
Kay

* Re: KVM migration problem on Ubuntu
@ 2008-02-10 19:01     ` Uri Lublin
From: Uri Lublin @ 2008-02-10 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kay Hayen; +Cc: kvm-devel

thanks for the reply, that is going to work for me. I am indeed trying to:
Ubuntu Hardy Development as Host, Ubuntu Gutsy as Minimal,
kernel "linux-virtual".

> You are correct about the default network adapter emulated, it is now
> rtl8139, and not ne2000. If your guest is configured to use ne2000 network
> adapter, try adding to your command line "-net nic,model=ne2000" (replacing
> "-net nic"). Hope that helps,

If that's possible to re-activate the old network card, I will be able to
update the virtual machine again. Thanks a lot.

Yours,
Kay

Hi Kay,

The syntax I suggested before was incorrect. Please use "-net nic,model=ne2k_pci" to enable ne2000 nic emulation.

Regards,

Uri.

* Re: KVM migration problem on Ubuntu
@ 2008-02-10  1:18 duck
From: duck @ 2008-02-10  1:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kvm-devel

>Well, but it seems, now the virtual machine no longer finds
>a network device anymore.

Hmmm. Some version info would have been handy (e.g. using kvm-60, using
Linux kernel 2.8.12).

Kvm-60 emulates the 8139 LAN card by default, not the NE2000 of earlier
versions. Check which card you have by switching to the monitor inside QEMU
(Ctrl-Alt-2). Do this:

 (qemu) info pci

An NE2000 (aka RT8029) will show up as PCI device 10ec:8029. The 8139 will
show up as 10ec:8139. (Other values are possible, depending on what cards
KVM is asked to provide. Try http://www.pcidatabase.com/ for an extensive
cross-reference list of PCI vendor/device IDs.)

You can try forcing KVM to use the RT8029 card on the command line with the
command line option:

  -net nic,model=ne2k_pci

Or you can try forcing Linux to load the needed driver for the 8139 card by
doing:

  # modprobe 8139too

and seeing if this lights up the eth0 interface. For reasons I've never
bothered to investigate, I've found that 8139too doesn't always get
auto-detected-and-loaded, when other cards do. I presume there is a good
reason for this (perhaps that there are different driver flavours which
conflict but which cannot tell the different sorts of 8139 card apart.) If
you don't have a kernel driver for 8139too then you will need to build one.

As for mounting a RAW image loopback, don't forget that you need to mount
the partition _inside_ the image (e.g. /dev/hda1) not the entire image
(which corresponds to /dev/hda under Linux).

Assuming that you created a single partition, or at least that your root
partition is the first one (/dev/hda1 or /dev/sda1), and assuming a default
position for that first partition, it should start 63 sectors along the
physical disk (for historical reasons we don't have time for here :-). At
512 bytes per sector, that's an offset of 32256 bytes. So try this:

# mount -o loop,offset=32256 myrawimage.raw /mnt/mymountpoint

That's the beauty of raw images :-) All my VMWare-hugging colleages go,
"hey, I didn't see you start the VM, how did you do that?"

Sophos Plc, The Pentagon, Abingdon Science Park, Abingdon,
OX14 3YP, United Kingdom.

Company Reg No 2096520. VAT Reg No GB 348 3873 20.