* howto and faq
@ 2008-02-07 16:42 Keld Jørn Simonsen
From: Keld Jørn Simonsen @ 2008-02-07 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-raid

Hi

I am trying to get some order to linux raid info.

I think we should have a faq and a howto for the linux-raid list.

The list description at
http://vger.kernel.org/vger-lists.html#linux-raid
does list af FAQ, http://www.linuxdoc.org/FAQ/
I cannot read it just now - the server
www.linuxdoc.org does not respond.
I then tried the google archive - which had no info, and then the
internet archive, which for the latest entry on this had some notes on
Debian and GFDL - quite irrelevant.

there are other FAQs that claim to be the FAQ for
linux-raid. One is http://www.faqs.org/contrib/linux-raid/
which is quite extensive, but from 2003 (about 5 years old).

So our FAQ info is pretty out of date. I think it would be nice to have
a wiki like we have for the Howto. This would mean that we have much
better means to let new people make their mark, and avoid the problem
that we have today with really outdated info.

So can we put up a wiki somewhere for this, or should we just extend the
wiki howto pages to also include a faq section?

For the howto, I have asked the VGER people to add info to our list
description, that we have a wiki howto at http://linux-raid.osdl.org/

I believe that this is the fact, that this howto is our official howto.
I have added a remark in the top of the text hinting that this wiki
howto is the official howto of the linux-raid list, tho I did not  state
it as such.

Hope this gives some clarity of the situation.

best regards
keld

* Re: howto and faq
@ 2008-02-10 10:05 ` David Greaves
From: David Greaves @ 2008-02-10 10:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keld Jørn Simonsen; +Cc: linux-raid

Keld Jørn Simonsen wrote:
> I am trying to get some order to linux raid info.
Help appreciated :)

> The list description at
> http://vger.kernel.org/vger-lists.html#linux-raid
> does list af FAQ, http://www.linuxdoc.org/FAQ/
Yes, that should be amended. Drop them a line about the FAQ too

> So our FAQ info is pretty out of date. I think it would be nice to have
> a wiki like we have for the Howto. This would mean that we have much
> better means to let new people make their mark, and avoid the problem
> that we have today with really outdated info.

There seems to be no point in having separate wikis for the FAQ and HOWTO
elements of documentation. Especially since a lot of FAQs are "How do I"... by
definition the answer is a HOWTO.

> So can we put up a wiki somewhere for this, or should we just extend the
> wiki howto pages to also include a faq section?
So just extend the existing wiki.

> For the howto, I have asked the VGER people to add info to our list
> description, that we have a wiki howto at http://linux-raid.osdl.org/
ta.

I set the wiki up at osdl to ensure that if a bus hit me then Neil or others
would have a rational and responsive organisation to go to to change ownership.

I've been writing to some of the other FAQ/Doc organisations sporadically for
over a year now and had no response from any of them. It's a very poor aspect of
OSS...

David

-

* Re: howto and faq
@ 2008-02-10 11:14   ` Keld Jørn Simonsen
From: Keld Jørn Simonsen @ 2008-02-10 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Greaves; +Cc: linux-raid

On Sun, Feb 10, 2008 at 10:05:13AM +0000, David Greaves wrote:
> Keld Jørn Simonsen wrote:
>
> > The list description at
> > http://vger.kernel.org/vger-lists.html#linux-raid
> > does list af FAQ, http://www.linuxdoc.org/FAQ/
> Yes, that should be amended. Drop them a line about the FAQ too

I will.

> > So our FAQ info is pretty out of date. I think it would be nice to have
> > a wiki like we have for the Howto. This would mean that we have much
> > better means to let new people make their mark, and avoid the problem
> > that we have today with really outdated info.
>
> There seems to be no point in having separate wikis for the FAQ and HOWTO
> elements of documentation. Especially since a lot of FAQs are "How do I"... by
> definition the answer is a HOWTO.
>
> > So can we put up a wiki somewhere for this, or should we just extend the
> > wiki howto pages to also include a faq section?
> So just extend the existing wiki.

OK, so let's have a combined howto and faq.

I would then like that to be reflected in the main page.
I would rather that this be called "Howto and FAQ - Linux raid"
than "Main Page - Linux Raid". Is that possible?

And then, how do we structure the pages? I think we need a new section
for the FAQ.

And then I would like a clearer statement on the relation between the
linux-raid mailing list and the pages, right in the top of the main page.

> I set the wiki up at osdl to ensure that if a bus hit me then Neil or others
> would have a rational and responsive organisation to go to to change ownership.
>
> I've been writing to some of the other FAQ/Doc organisations sporadically for
> over a year now and had no response from any of them. It's a very poor aspect of
> OSS...

Looks like a good move.

I have had a look at other search engines, yahoo and msn.
Our pages do show up within the 10 first hits for "linux raid".
So that is not that bad. Still, Google has the
http://linux-raid.osdl.org/ page as number 127. That is very bad.
Maybe something about it being referenced from wikipedia?

Best regards
Keld
-

* Re: howto and faq
@ 2008-02-10 18:21     ` David Greaves
From: David Greaves @ 2008-02-10 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keld Jørn Simonsen; +Cc: linux-raid

Keld Jørn Simonsen wrote:
> I would then like that to be reflected in the main page.
> I would rather that this be called "Howto and FAQ - Linux raid"
> than "Main Page - Linux Raid". Is that possible?

Just like C has a main() wiki's have a Main Page :)

I guess it could be changed but I think it involves editing the Mediawiki config
- maybe next time I'm in there...

> And then, how do we structure the pages? I think we need a new section
> for the FAQ.

By all means create an FAQ page and link to answers or other relevant sections
of the wiki. Bear in mind that this is a reference work and whilst it may
contain tutorials the idea is that it contains (reasonably) authoritative
information about the linux raid subsystem (linking to the source, kernel docs
or man pages if that's more appropriate).

> And then I would like a clearer statement on the relation between the
> linux-raid mailing list and the pages, right in the top of the main page.
The relationship is loose - the statement as it stands describes the current
state of affairs. If Neil feels that he could or would like to help the case by
declaring a more official relationship then that's his call. To be fair I work
on these pages on and off as the mood takes me :) if I was Neil I'd be keeping
an eye on it and waiting for the right level of community involvement.

> I have had a look at other search engines, yahoo and msn.
> Our pages do show up within the 10 first hits for "linux raid".
> So that is not that bad. Still, Google has the
> http://linux-raid.osdl.org/ page as number 127. That is very bad.
> Maybe something about it being referenced from wikipedia?

I'm not an expert at gaming the search engines - more than happy to do rational
things like linking from Wikipedia and other reference sites.

I am sad that I've had such a poor response from the other linux documentation
sites... maybe a Slashdot article not so much about doc-rot but about the
difficulty of combating doc-rot would help...

Maybe they'd take more notice if I said "the linux raid subsystem maintainer
says..." - dunno.

David

-

* Re: howto and faq
@ 2008-02-10 18:52       ` Keld Jørn Simonsen
From: Keld Jørn Simonsen @ 2008-02-10 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Greaves; +Cc: linux-raid

On Sun, Feb 10, 2008 at 06:21:08PM +0000, David Greaves wrote:
> Keld Jørn Simonsen wrote:
> > I would then like that to be reflected in the main page.
> > I would rather that this be called "Howto and FAQ - Linux raid"
> > than "Main Page - Linux Raid". Is that possible?
>
> Just like C has a main() wiki's have a Main Page :)
>
> I guess it could be changed but I think it involves editing the Mediawiki config
> - maybe next time I'm in there...

OK, good.

> > And then, how do we structure the pages? I think we need a new section
> > for the FAQ.
>
> By all means create an FAQ page and link to answers or other relevant sections
> of the wiki. Bear in mind that this is a reference work and whilst it may
> contain tutorials the idea is that it contains (reasonably) authoritative
> information about the linux raid subsystem (linking to the source, kernel docs
> or man pages if that's more appropriate).

Yes, I will be conservative and robust in what I write there.

> > And then I would like a clearer statement on the relation between the
> > linux-raid mailing list and the pages, right in the top of the main page.
> The relationship is loose - the statement as it stands describes the current
> state of affairs. If Neil feels that he could or would like to help the case by
> declaring a more official relationship then that's his call. To be fair I work
> on these pages on and off as the mood takes me :) if I was Neil I'd be keeping
> an eye on it and waiting for the right level of community involvement.

OK, I will only state something like the usual FAQ thing: please consult
the FAQ before submitting questions to the list.

> > I have had a look at other search engines, yahoo and msn.
> > Our pages do show up within the 10 first hits for "linux raid".
> > So that is not that bad. Still, Google has the
> > http://linux-raid.osdl.org/ page as number 127. That is very bad.
> > Maybe something about it being referenced from wikipedia?
>
> I'm not an expert at gaming the search engines - more than happy to do rational
> things like linking from Wikipedia and other reference sites.
>
> I am sad that I've had such a poor response from the other linux documentation
> sites... maybe a Slashdot article not so much about doc-rot but about the
> difficulty of combating doc-rot would help...
>
> Maybe they'd take more notice if I said "the linux raid subsystem maintainer
> says..." - dunno.

I think we should just contact some more people...
And then do some linking ourselves.

Best regards
Keld
-

* Re: howto and faq
@ 2008-05-11 10:32       ` Keld Jørn Simonsen
                           ` (2 more replies)
From: Keld Jørn Simonsen @ 2008-05-11 10:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Greaves; +Cc: linux-raid

On Sun, Feb 10, 2008 at 06:21:08PM +0000, David Greaves wrote:
> Keld Jørn Simonsen wrote:
> > I would then like that to be reflected in the main page.
> > I would rather that this be called "Howto and FAQ - Linux raid"
> > than "Main Page - Linux Raid". Is that possible?
>
> Just like C has a main() wiki's have a Main Page :)
>
> I guess it could be changed but I think it involves editing the Mediawiki config
> - maybe next time I'm in there...

I would appreciate if this change be made soon...

> > And then, how do we structure the pages? I think we need a new section
> > for the FAQ.
>
> By all means create an FAQ page and link to answers or other relevant sections
> of the wiki. Bear in mind that this is a reference work and whilst it may
> contain tutorials the idea is that it contains (reasonably) authoritative
> information about the linux raid subsystem (linking to the source, kernel docs
> or man pages if that's more appropriate).

I have now created a FAQ section on the wiki.

> > I have had a look at other search engines, yahoo and msn.
> > Our pages do show up within the 10 first hits for "linux raid".
> > So that is not that bad. Still, Google has the
> > http://linux-raid.osdl.org/ page as number 127. That is very bad.
> > Maybe something about it being referenced from wikipedia?

We are now number 6 on google for "linux raid". Most of the other top pages
are quite old info, say 4 to 8 years old, and not mentioning mdadm nor
raid10. I would like to do some work to get rid of the outdated info, as
it is quite bad guidance to users. I have contacted a number of the
authors for the other top pages, but to no avail.

I have then looked at who is referencing the top pages, via the Google
"link: URL" feature. For our own pages this is a sad story. Almost
nobody but ourselves are referencing it. That is, the links are mostly
our own pages referencing our own pages, or mail archive pages of
linux-raid ML referencing the wiki.

I would really like to have this improved. That is, if people on this ML
could add links to http://linux-raid.osdl.org/ eg from their home pages
- "I am participating in the Linux kernel RAID mailing list with wiki
pages at http://linux-raid.osdl.org/" and/or include a reference to the
URL when discussing RAID issues on other fora.

Best regards
Keld

* Re: howto and faq
@ 2008-05-11 11:33         ` David Greaves
From: David Greaves @ 2008-05-11 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keld Jørn Simonsen; +Cc: linux-raid

Keld Jørn Simonsen wrote:
> I have then looked at who is referencing the top pages, via the Google
> "link: URL" feature. For our own pages this is a sad story. Almost
> nobody but ourselves are referencing it. That is, the links are mostly
> our own pages referencing our own pages, or mail archive pages of
> linux-raid ML referencing the wiki.

About an hour ago I sent this to the tldp (again!). I was going to cc linux-raid
but tldp-discuss is subscribe only. I also contacted the tldp lead directly
since the discuss list had a problem. Lets see...

Hi all
The linux-raid community has moved on considerably from the approach described
in the Software-RAID-HOWTO which primarily focuses on the unsupported raidtools
software. Users would arrive on the mailing list dazed and confused - clearly
something needed to be done!

So some time back I contacted the authors and began the process of updating the
Software-RAID-HOWTO and bringing the license to GFDL (see
http://linux-raid.osdl.org/index.php/Credits)

The updated docs are now managed as a wiki (although still available as a single
document at http://linux-raid.osdl.org/index.php?title=Overview&printable=yes)

Ideally the HOWTO here http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Software-RAID-HOWTO.html should now
be deprecated to http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Software-RAID-HOWTO-2004.html and
replaced with:

As of 2006 the Linux RAID HOWTO is now maintained as a wiki by the linux-raid
community at
   http://linux-raid.osdl.org/

The 2004 HOWTO is available here:
  http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Software-RAID-HOWTO-2004.html

If you feel that this is not appropriate then could we at least amend the header
text along those lines?

The idea of moving the HOWTO is to quickly expire old links - if TLDP has a
better method for preventing the continued referencing of out-of-date info then
I'm happy with whatever you feel is best.

If you feel I should be approaching this in a different manner then please let
me know.

Thanks

David Greaves

* Re: howto and faq
@ 2008-05-11 17:22         ` Bill Davidsen
From: Bill Davidsen @ 2008-05-11 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keld Jørn Simonsen; +Cc: David Greaves, linux-raid

Keld Jørn Simonsen wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 10, 2008 at 06:21:08PM +0000, David Greaves wrote:
>
>> Keld Jørn Simonsen wrote:
>>
>>> I would then like that to be reflected in the main page.
>>> I would rather that this be called "Howto and FAQ - Linux raid"
>>> than "Main Page - Linux Raid". Is that possible?
>>>
>> Just like C has a main() wiki's have a Main Page :)
>>
>> I guess it could be changed but I think it involves editing the Mediawiki config
>> - maybe next time I'm in there...
>>

> I would appreciate if this change be made soon...
>

>>> And then, how do we structure the pages? I think we need a new section
>>> for the FAQ.
>>>
>> By all means create an FAQ page and link to answers or other relevant sections
>> of the wiki. Bear in mind that this is a reference work and whilst it may
>> contain tutorials the idea is that it contains (reasonably) authoritative
>> information about the linux raid subsystem (linking to the source, kernel docs
>> or man pages if that's more appropriate).
>>

> I have now created a FAQ section on the wiki.
>

>>> I have had a look at other search engines, yahoo and msn.
>>> Our pages do show up within the 10 first hits for "linux raid".
>>> So that is not that bad. Still, Google has the
>>> http://linux-raid.osdl.org/ page as number 127. That is very bad.
>>> Maybe something about it being referenced from wikipedia?
>>>

> We are now number 6 on google for "linux raid". Most of the other top pages
> are quite old info, say 4 to 8 years old, and not mentioning mdadm nor
> raid10. I would like to do some work to get rid of the outdated info, as
> it is quite bad guidance to users. I have contacted a number of the
> authors for the other top pages, but to no avail.
>
> I have then looked at who is referencing the top pages, via the Google
> "link: URL" feature. For our own pages this is a sad story. Almost
> nobody but ourselves are referencing it. That is, the links are mostly
> our own pages referencing our own pages, or mail archive pages of
> linux-raid ML referencing the wiki.
>
> I would really like to have this improved. That is, if people on this ML
> could add links to http://linux-raid.osdl.org/ eg from their home pages
> - "I am participating in the Linux kernel RAID mailing list with wiki
> pages at http://linux-raid.osdl.org/" and/or include a reference to the
> URL when discussing RAID issues on other fora.

Just a public thanks and "please do" for this. I will update my
appropriate pages with this on the next update.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
  "Woe unto the statesman who makes war without a reason that will still

* Re: howto and faq
@ 2008-05-11 19:34         ` David Greaves
From: David Greaves @ 2008-05-11 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keld Jørn Simonsen; +Cc: linux-raid

Keld Jørn Simonsen wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 10, 2008 at 06:21:08PM +0000, David Greaves wrote:
>> Keld Jørn Simonsen wrote:
>>> I would then like that to be reflected in the main page.
>>> I would rather that this be called "Howto and FAQ - Linux raid"
>>> than "Main Page - Linux Raid". Is that possible?
>> Just like C has a main() wiki's have a Main Page :)
>>
>> I guess it could be changed but I think it involves editing the Mediawiki config
>> - maybe next time I'm in there...
>
> I would appreciate if this change be made soon...

OK - it's a page title so 'Linux Raid' - shorter + to the point.

The "Main Page" redirects for any links out there...

David

* Re: howto and faq
@ 2008-05-11 20:18           ` David Greaves
From: David Greaves @ 2008-05-11 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Neil Brown; +Cc: Bill Davidsen, Keld Jørn Simonsen, linux-raid

Bill Davidsen wrote:
> Keld Jørn Simonsen wrote:
>> On Sun, Feb 10, 2008 at 06:21:08PM +0000, David Greaves wrote:
>>
>>> Keld Jørn Simonsen wrote:
>> We are now number 6 on google for "linux raid". Most of the other top
>> pages
>> are quite old info, say 4 to 8 years old, and not mentioning mdadm nor
>> raid10. I would like to do some work to get rid of the outdated info, as
>> it is quite bad guidance to users. I have contacted a number of the
>> authors for the other top pages, but to no avail.
>>
>> I have then looked at who is referencing the top pages, via the Google
>> "link: URL" feature. For our own pages this is a sad story. Almost
>> nobody but ourselves are referencing it. That is, the links are mostly
>> our own pages referencing our own pages, or mail archive pages of
>> linux-raid ML referencing the wiki.
>> I would really like to have this improved. That is, if people on this ML
>> could add links to http://linux-raid.osdl.org/ eg from their home pages
>> - "I am participating in the Linux kernel RAID mailing list with wiki
>> pages at http://linux-raid.osdl.org/" and/or include a reference to the
>> URL when discussing RAID issues on other fora.
>
> Just a public thanks and "please do" for this. I will update my
> appropriate pages with this on the next update.

<grin> - doesn't help that the mdadm man page still says (and I checked git too):

SEE ALSO
       For information on the various levels of RAID, check out:

Err, Neil....

David

* Re: howto and faq
@ 2008-05-11 20:28           ` Keld Jørn Simonsen
From: Keld Jørn Simonsen @ 2008-05-11 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Greaves; +Cc: linux-raid

On Sun, May 11, 2008 at 08:34:42PM +0100, David Greaves wrote:
> Keld Jørn Simonsen wrote:
> >> Just like C has a main() wiki's have a Main Page :)
> >>
> >> I guess it could be changed but I think it involves editing the Mediawiki config
> >> - maybe next time I'm in there...
> >
> > I would appreciate if this change be made soon...
>
> OK - it's a page title so 'Linux Raid' - shorter + to the point.
>
> The "Main Page" redirects for any links out there...

OK, looks good!

Best regards
keld

* Re: howto and faq
@ 2008-05-11 23:48             ` Neil Brown
From: Neil Brown @ 2008-05-11 23:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Greaves; +Cc: Bill Davidsen, Keld Jørn Simonsen, linux-raid

On Sunday May 11, david@dgreaves.com wrote:
> Bill Davidsen wrote:
> > Keld Jørn Simonsen wrote:

> >> We are now number 6 on google for "linux raid". Most of the other top
> >> pages
> >> are quite old info, say 4 to 8 years old, and not mentioning mdadm nor
> >> raid10. I would like to do some work to get rid of the outdated info, as
> >> it is quite bad guidance to users. I have contacted a number of the
> >> authors for the other top pages, but to no avail.
> >>
> >> I have then looked at who is referencing the top pages, via the Google
> >> "link: URL" feature. For our own pages this is a sad story. Almost
> >> nobody but ourselves are referencing it. That is, the links are mostly
> >> our own pages referencing our own pages, or mail archive pages of
> >> linux-raid ML referencing the wiki.
> >> I would really like to have this improved. That is, if people on this ML
> >> could add links to http://linux-raid.osdl.org/ eg from their home pages
> >> - "I am participating in the Linux kernel RAID mailing list with wiki
> >> pages at http://linux-raid.osdl.org/" and/or include a reference to the
> >> URL when discussing RAID issues on other fora.
> >
> > Just a public thanks and "please do" for this. I will update my
> > appropriate pages with this on the next update.
> >

> <grin> - doesn't help that the mdadm man page still says (and I checked git too):
>
> SEE ALSO
>        For information on the various levels of RAID, check out:

> Err, Neil....

What exactly did you see when you checking in git?
I saw

 http://neil.brown.name/git?p=mdadm;a=commitdiff;h=3cdfb6a71259759f24f48d4c14b76e056d0bfaf6

NeilBrown

From: Neil Brown <neilb@suse.de>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 06:29:53 +0000 (+1000)
Subject: Updates some URLs in the man page.

Updates some URLs in the man page.

Particularly, add the wiki on osdl.org
---

diff --git a/ChangeLog b/ChangeLog
index d96aa86..df88d29 100644
--- a/ChangeLog
+++ b/ChangeLog
@@ -5,6 +5,7 @@ Changes Prior to this release
 	cause by problems with device-size overflow.
     -   For v0.90 superblocks, print the 'Events' count as a real count,
 	not 2 numbers separated by a dot.
+    -   Updates some URLs in the man page.

 Changes Prior to 2.6.4 release
     -   Make "--create --auto=mdp" work for non-standard device names.
diff --git a/mdadm.8 b/mdadm.8
index 6edc915..0969238 100644
--- a/mdadm.8
+++ b/mdadm.8
@@ -2103,12 +2103,16 @@ package, and does not use the
 configuration file at all.

 .SH SEE ALSO
-For information on the various levels of
-RAID, check out:
+For further information on MD and the various levels of
+RAID, see:

 .IP
-.UR   http://ostenfeld.dk/~jakob/Software\-RAID.HOWTO/
-http://ostenfeld.dk/~jakob/Software\-RAID.HOWTO/
+.UR  http://unthought.net/Software-RAID.HOWTO/
+http://unthought.net/Software\-RAID.HOWTO/
+.UE
+.IP
+.UR http://linux-raid.osdl.org/
+http://linux\-raid.osdl.org/
 .UE
 '''.PP
 '''for new releases of the RAID driver check out:

* Re: howto and faq
@ 2008-05-12  8:46               ` David Greaves
From: David Greaves @ 2008-05-12  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Neil Brown; +Cc: Bill Davidsen, Keld Jørn Simonsen, linux-raid

Neil Brown wrote:
> On Sunday May 11, david@dgreaves.com wrote:
>> Err, Neil....
>
> What exactly did you see when you checking in git?

Oops, my mistake - my nroff reading skills are clearly lacking :)

In my head I was planning on replacing the unthought.net link and when I saw it
 was still there I didn't look further to see the extra URL - thanks for that :)

I wonder if it's time to deprecate the http://unthought.net/Software-RAID.HOWTO/
reference though? Jakob agreed to the inclusion of all the material in the wiki
so we're not losing anything (and we are on a webwide URL cleaning exercise at
the moment.)

So, you may feel that:

For further information on mdadm usage, MD and the various levels of
RAID, see:
  http://linux-raid.osdl.org/
(based upon Jakob Østergaard's Software-RAID.HOWTO)

is now appropriate... if which case, patch below.

David

---

Author: David Greaves <david@dgreaves.com>
Date:   Mon May 12 09:40:39 2008 +0100

    Remove outdated HOWTO link and credit Jakob's contribution.

    Signed-off-by: David Greaves <david@dgreaves.com>

diff --git a/mdadm.8 b/mdadm.8
index d3cecb8..cd3028d 100644
--- a/mdadm.8
+++ b/mdadm.8
@@ -2105,17 +2105,15 @@ package, and does not use the
 configuration file at all.

 .SH SEE ALSO
-For further information on MD and the various levels of
+For further information on mdadm usage, MD and the various levels of
 RAID, see:

 .IP
-.UR  http://unthought.net/Software-RAID.HOWTO/
-http://unthought.net/Software\-RAID.HOWTO/
-.UE
-.IP
 .UR http://linux-raid.osdl.org/
 http://linux\-raid.osdl.org/
 .UE
+.PP
+(based upon Jakob \(/Ostergaard's Software\-RAID.HOWTO)
 .\".PP
 .\"for new releases of the RAID driver check out:
 .\"

* Re: howto and faq
@ 2008-05-19  2:10                 ` Neil Brown
From: Neil Brown @ 2008-05-19  2:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Greaves; +Cc: Bill Davidsen, Keld Jørn Simonsen, linux-raid

On Monday May 12, david@dgreaves.com wrote:
> Neil Brown wrote:
> > On Sunday May 11, david@dgreaves.com wrote:
> >> Err, Neil....
> >
> > What exactly did you see when you checking in git?
>
> Oops, my mistake - my nroff reading skills are clearly lacking :)
>
> In my head I was planning on replacing the unthought.net link and when I saw it
>  was still there I didn't look further to see the extra URL - thanks for that :)
>
> I wonder if it's time to deprecate the http://unthought.net/Software-RAID.HOWTO/
> reference though? Jakob agreed to the inclusion of all the material in the wiki
> so we're not losing anything (and we are on a webwide URL cleaning exercise at
> the moment.)
>
> So, you may feel that:
>
> For further information on mdadm usage, MD and the various levels of
> RAID, see:
>   http://linux-raid.osdl.org/
> (based upon Jakob Østergaard's Software-RAID.HOWTO)
>
> is now appropriate... if which case, patch below.

Thanks.  I forgot about this when preparing 2.6.5, but have since
found an excuse for a 2.6.6.  So it is in.

NeilBrown

> David
>
> ---
>
> Author: David Greaves <david@dgreaves.com>
> Date:   Mon May 12 09:40:39 2008 +0100
>
>     Remove outdated HOWTO link and credit Jakob's contribution.
>
>     Signed-off-by: David Greaves <david@dgreaves.com>
>
> diff --git a/mdadm.8 b/mdadm.8
> index d3cecb8..cd3028d 100644
> --- a/mdadm.8
> +++ b/mdadm.8
> @@ -2105,17 +2105,15 @@ package, and does not use the
>  configuration file at all.
>
>  .SH SEE ALSO
> -For further information on MD and the various levels of
> +For further information on mdadm usage, MD and the various levels of
>  RAID, see:
>
>  .IP
> -.UR  http://unthought.net/Software-RAID.HOWTO/
> -http://unthought.net/Software\-RAID.HOWTO/
> -.UE
> -.IP
>  .UR http://linux-raid.osdl.org/
>  http://linux\-raid.osdl.org/
>  .UE
> +.PP
> +(based upon Jakob \(/Ostergaard's Software\-RAID.HOWTO)
>  .\".PP
>  .\"for new releases of the RAID driver check out:
>  .\"

* Re: howto and faq
@ 2009-01-10 21:12     ` Keld Jørn Simonsen
From: Keld Jørn Simonsen @ 2009-01-10 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Greaves; +Cc: linux-raid

On Sun, Feb 10, 2008 at 12:14:04PM +0100, Keld Jørn Simonsen wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 10, 2008 at 10:05:13AM +0000, David Greaves wrote:
>
> > I set the wiki up at osdl to ensure that if a bus hit me then Neil or others
> > would have a rational and responsive organisation to go to to change ownership.
> >
> > I've been writing to some of the other FAQ/Doc organisations sporadically for
> > over a year now and had no response from any of them. It's a very poor aspect of
> > OSS...
>
> Looks like a good move.
>
> I have had a look at other search engines, yahoo and msn.
> Our pages do show up within the 10 first hits for "linux raid".
> So that is not that bad. Still, Google has the
> http://linux-raid.osdl.org/ page as number 127. That is very bad.
> Maybe something about it being referenced from wikipedia?

Just looked at google today for "linux raid". We are now number 1!
So a little less than a year to go from number 127 to the top spot.
We are also number 1 on yahoo, and number 3 on MSN.
Congratulations to all that helped!

Best regards
keld

* Re: howto and faq
@ 2009-01-12  9:38       ` Keld Jørn Simonsen
From: Keld Jørn Simonsen @ 2009-01-12  9:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Greaves; +Cc: linux-raid

On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 10:12:56PM +0100, Keld Jørn Simonsen wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 10, 2008 at 12:14:04PM +0100, Keld Jørn Simonsen wrote:
> > On Sun, Feb 10, 2008 at 10:05:13AM +0000, David Greaves wrote:
> >
> > > I set the wiki up at osdl to ensure that if a bus hit me then Neil or others
> > > would have a rational and responsive organisation to go to to change ownership.
> > >
> > > I've been writing to some of the other FAQ/Doc organisations sporadically for
> > > over a year now and had no response from any of them. It's a very poor aspect of
> > > OSS...
> >
> > Looks like a good move.
> >
> > I have had a look at other search engines, yahoo and msn.
> > Our pages do show up within the 10 first hits for "linux raid".
> > So that is not that bad. Still, Google has the
> > http://linux-raid.osdl.org/ page as number 127. That is very bad.
> > Maybe something about it being referenced from wikipedia?
>
> Just looked at google today for "linux raid". We are now number 1!
> So a little less than a year to go from number 127 to the top spot.
> We are also number 1 on yahoo, and number 3 on MSN.
> Congratulations to all that helped!

Hmm, looked at google from different browsers, and it is only on
google.dk and with firefox that we are number one. So this is on the
edge. If people on this list could link to the wiki from diferent
places, then maybe we can make it.

best regards
keld

* Re: howto and faq
@ 2009-01-12 11:19         ` David Greaves
From: David Greaves @ 2009-01-12 11:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keld Jørn Simonsen; +Cc: linux-raid

Keld Jørn Simonsen wrote:
>>> I have had a look at other search engines, yahoo and msn.
>>> Our pages do show up within the 10 first hits for "linux raid".
>>> So that is not that bad. Still, Google has the
>>> http://linux-raid.osdl.org/ page as number 127. That is very bad.
>>> Maybe something about it being referenced from wikipedia?
>> Just looked at google today for "linux raid". We are now number 1!
>> So a little less than a year to go from number 127 to the top spot.
>> We are also number 1 on yahoo, and number 3 on MSN.
>> Congratulations to all that helped!
>
> Hmm, looked at google from different browsers, and it is only on
> google.dk and with firefox that we are number one. So this is on the
> edge. If people on this list could link to the wiki from diferent
> places, then maybe we can make it.

I'd like to thank the people on the list who have helped edit the wiki too.

I managed to do a fair bit when I had a glut of time but not much since so the
community support has been invaluable.
The, err, 'good' news is that it looks like I'll have some more spare time
coming up soon thanks to the recession ;)

Oh, I also had the wiki redirected from the kernel wiki farm at:
  http://raid.wiki.kernel.org/

David

--
"Don't worry, you'll be fine; I saw it work in a cartoon once..."