* Integrating v4l2_device/v4l2_subdev into the soc_camera framework
@ 2008-12-15 10:45 Hans Verkuil
From: Hans Verkuil @ 2008-12-15 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guennadi Liakhovetski; +Cc: v4l

Hi Guennadi,

Now that the v4l2_device and v4l2_subdev structs are merged into the
master v4l-dvb repository it is time to look at what needs to be done
to integrate it into the soc-camera framework.

The goal is to make the i2c sub-device drivers independent from how they
are used. That is, whether a sensor is used in an embedded device or in
a USB webcam or something else should not matter for the sensor driver.

I would really appreciate it if you can take a good look at what would
be needed to achieve this. We can then discuss that and make a plan on
how to proceed.

I'll be happy to answer any questions you have or help you in whatever
way you want.

Thank you,

	Hans

* Re: Integrating v4l2_device/v4l2_subdev into the soc_camera framework
@ 2008-12-15 14:57 ` Antonio Ospite
From: Antonio Ospite @ 2008-12-15 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans Verkuil; +Cc: v4l, Guennadi Liakhovetski

On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 11:45:54 +0100
Hans Verkuil <hverkuil@xs4all.nl> wrote:

> Hi Guennadi,
>
> Now that the v4l2_device and v4l2_subdev structs are merged into the
> master v4l-dvb repository it is time to look at what needs to be done
> to integrate it into the soc-camera framework.
>
> The goal is to make the i2c sub-device drivers independent from how they
> are used. That is, whether a sensor is used in an embedded device or in
> a USB webcam or something else should not matter for the sensor driver.

Is something like this planned for gspca as well?

Thanks,
   Antonio

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

  Web site: http://www.studenti.unina.it/~ospite
Public key: http://www.studenti.unina.it/~ospite/aopubkey.asc

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 197 bytes --]

* Re: Integrating v4l2_device/v4l2_subdev into the soc_camera framework
@ 2008-12-16  9:21   ` Hans Verkuil
From: Hans Verkuil @ 2008-12-16  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Antonio Ospite; +Cc: v4l, Guennadi Liakhovetski

On Monday 15 December 2008 15:57:14 Antonio Ospite wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 11:45:54 +0100
>
> Hans Verkuil <hverkuil@xs4all.nl> wrote:
> > Hi Guennadi,
> >
> > Now that the v4l2_device and v4l2_subdev structs are merged into
> > the master v4l-dvb repository it is time to look at what needs to
> > be done to integrate it into the soc-camera framework.
> >
> > The goal is to make the i2c sub-device drivers independent from how
> > they are used. That is, whether a sensor is used in an embedded
> > device or in a USB webcam or something else should not matter for
> > the sensor driver.
>
> Is something like this planned for gspca as well?

My understanding is that most if not all of the 'subdevices' used in
gspca are reversed engineered and as such can by definition only work
within gspca.

So in this case I see no need to move to the new structs. That said,
there is nothing that prevents gspca to start using these structs as
well, in particular since they will be extended over time to take care
of e.g. control processing, etc.

Note that it is easy (although not yet implemented since nobody needs it
right now) to add driver-specific ops to v4l2_subdev. This could be
ideal for gspca. So it is still possible to use the gspca-specific ops
while also being able at the same time to use the standard ops and
other features that the framework will offer in the future.

Regards,

@ 2008-12-16  9:37 ` Guennadi Liakhovetski
From: Guennadi Liakhovetski @ 2008-12-16  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans Verkuil; +Cc: v4l

Hi Hans,

On Mon, 15 Dec 2008, Hans Verkuil wrote:

> Hi Guennadi,
>
> Now that the v4l2_device and v4l2_subdev structs are merged into the
> master v4l-dvb repository it is time to look at what needs to be done
> to integrate it into the soc-camera framework.
>
> The goal is to make the i2c sub-device drivers independent from how they
> are used. That is, whether a sensor is used in an embedded device or in
> a USB webcam or something else should not matter for the sensor driver.
>
> I would really appreciate it if you can take a good look at what would
> be needed to achieve this. We can then discuss that and make a plan on
> how to proceed.
>
> I'll be happy to answer any questions you have or help you in whatever
> way you want.

Wow, that's a generous offer, perhaps, the most generous I've got in my
entire life!:-)

Yes, I'll have a look at it (again) and will think how we can best
integrate the two APIs. Although, I will not have too much time for this
work, so, I'll be looking for the easiest / cheapest acceptible
solution:-)

Thanks
Guennadi
---
Guennadi Liakhovetski, Ph.D.

* Re: Integrating v4l2_device/v4l2_subdev into the soc_camera framework
@ 2008-12-16  9:50   ` Hans Verkuil
From: Hans Verkuil @ 2008-12-16  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guennadi Liakhovetski; +Cc: v4l

On Tuesday 16 December 2008 10:37:02 Guennadi Liakhovetski wrote:
> Hi Hans,
>
> On Mon, 15 Dec 2008, Hans Verkuil wrote:
> > Hi Guennadi,
> >
> > Now that the v4l2_device and v4l2_subdev structs are merged into
> > the master v4l-dvb repository it is time to look at what needs to
> > be done to integrate it into the soc-camera framework.
> >
> > The goal is to make the i2c sub-device drivers independent from how
> > they are used. That is, whether a sensor is used in an embedded
> > device or in a USB webcam or something else should not matter for
> > the sensor driver.
> >
> > I would really appreciate it if you can take a good look at what
> > would be needed to achieve this. We can then discuss that and make
> > a plan on how to proceed.
> >
> > I'll be happy to answer any questions you have or help you in
> > whatever way you want.
>
> Wow, that's a generous offer, perhaps, the most generous I've got in
> my entire life!:-)

Perhaps I should have added: 'as long as it relates to the new
framework' :-)

> Yes, I'll have a look at it (again) and will think how we can best
> integrate the two APIs. Although, I will not have too much time for
> this work, so, I'll be looking for the easiest / cheapest acceptible
> solution:-)

Well, the end result should be a reusable sensor driver, otherwise there
is no point. I can help in converting drivers, but obviously not with
testing.

Regards,

	Hans