* Git with Hudson
@ 2008-12-18 19:23 Indy Nagpal
From: Indy Nagpal @ 2008-12-18 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

Hi

Currently we use Subversion as our VCS. This ties into our CI process
that uses Hudson.

I've been using git svn with great success over the last few months
and a few our developers have also started using it. We now almost
ready to switch our repository from SVN to Git.

However, before we do that I wanted to check if anyone has had any
experience/feedback in integrating Git with Hudson CI server?

Thanks

Indy

PS: Apologies if this is posted a couple of times to the list. Gmail
is refusing to send the email to the mailing list address, so trying
to send it in a couple of different ways

--
Indiver Nagpal
Straker Interactive

* Re: Git with Hudson
@ 2008-12-18 22:07 ` Stephen Haberman
From: Stephen Haberman @ 2008-12-18 22:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Indy Nagpal; +Cc: git

> However, before we do that I wanted to check if anyone has had any
> experience/feedback in integrating Git with Hudson CI server?

We tried using the Hudson git plugin that you can download from the
Hudson site and ended up with problems--whether we had too many branches
or something, the plugin has some funny "figure out what needs to be
built" logic that issued near-constant git rev-list commands. To the
point where our own "git fetch" calls would get starved for 20-30
seconds.

We eventually wrote our own Hudson git plugin that is simpler and
doesn't do any funny rev-listing/walking. It just stores last hash
built and rebuilds once that doesn't match the branch tip. Once that
was in place, it worked great.

I've got permission to publish it if you're interested--just haven't
yet.

- Stephen

* Re: Git with Hudson
@ 2008-12-19  1:58   ` Tim Visher
From: Tim Visher @ 2008-12-19  1:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Haberman; +Cc: Indy Nagpal, git

On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 5:07 PM, Stephen Haberman
<stephen@exigencecorp.com> wrote:

> I've got permission to publish it if you're interested--just haven't
> yet.

I'm interested!  Please publish away!

--

In Christ,

Timmy V.

http://burningones.com/
http://five.sentenc.es/ - Spend less time on e-mail

* Re: Git with Hudson
@ 2008-12-19  4:58 ` Dilip M
From: Dilip M @ 2008-12-19  4:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 12:53 AM, <indy@strakersoftware.com> wrote:
On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 3:37 AM, <stephen@exigencecorp.com> wrote:

indy> However, before we do that I wanted to check if anyone has had any
indy> experience/feedback in integrating Git with Hudson CI server?

We want to try it in futrure when GIT will be used for some projects. It
will be nice to share the knowledge on hudson tool. :)

B.W, what version of hudson you are using? Java version? TOMCAT
version?

It is stable?  Have you seen something like "(appears to be stuck)
entries"...

stephen> We eventually wrote our own Hudson git plugin that is simpler and
stephen> doesn't do any funny rev-listing/walking. It just stores last hash
stephen> built and rebuilds once that doesn't match the branch tip. Once that
stephen> was in place, it worked great.

I am eager to have it..please publish.

-dm

* Re: Git with Hudson
@ 2008-12-22  9:34   ` Jean-Baptiste Quenot
From: Jean-Baptiste Quenot @ 2008-12-22  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

2008/12/18 Stephen Haberman <stephen@exigencecorp.com>:

> We tried using the Hudson git plugin that you can download from the
> Hudson site and ended up with problems--whether we had too many branches
> or something, the plugin has some funny "figure out what needs to be
> built" logic that issued near-constant git rev-list commands. To the
> point where our own "git fetch" calls would get starved for 20-30
> seconds.
>
> We eventually wrote our own Hudson git plugin that is simpler and
> doesn't do any funny rev-listing/walking. It just stores last hash
> built and rebuilds once that doesn't match the branch tip. Once that
> was in place, it worked great.
>
> I've got permission to publish it if you're interested--just haven't
> yet.

Good idea!  I'm also affected by this problem, although the
git-rev-list is not an issue anymore since version 0.5.  Simplifying
the checkout() is still in my plans though, so your contribution comes
at the right moment.  Once the code will be made available we'll be
able to take the best of the two Git plugins and merge them into one.

WDYT?
--
Jean-Baptiste Quenot
http://jbq.caraldi.com/

* Re: Git with Hudson
@ 2008-12-23  3:00     ` Stephen Haberman
From: Stephen Haberman @ 2008-12-23  3:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Visher; +Cc: Indy Nagpal, git

> I'm interested!  Please publish away!

Here's the "git2" Hudson plugin that worked well for us:

http://github.com/stephenh/hudson-git2

There is a git.hpi file checked into the target directory so that you
don't have to build it yourself.

- Stephen

* Re: Git with Hudson
@ 2008-12-24 20:59       ` R. Tyler Ballance
From: R. Tyler Ballance @ 2008-12-24 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Haberman; +Cc: Tim Visher, Indy Nagpal, git

On Mon, 2008-12-22 at 21:00 -0600, Stephen Haberman wrote:
> > I'm interested!  Please publish away!
>
> Here's the "git2" Hudson plugin that worked well for us:
>
> http://github.com/stephenh/hudson-git2
>
> There is a git.hpi file checked into the target directory so that you
> don't have to build it yourself.

I decided that I'd check this out, as the existing Git plugin chokes on
our git-rev-list(1) on our enormous Git repository.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but did you actually upload or check in the
target/ directory? Your .markdown references target/git.hpi as well, but
I can't seem to find it :-/

Cheers
--
-R. Tyler Ballance
Slide, Inc.

* Re: Git with Hudson
@ 2008-12-24 21:04         ` Stephen Haberman
From: Stephen Haberman @ 2008-12-24 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: R. Tyler Ballance; +Cc: Tim Visher, Indy Nagpal, git

> > Here's the "git2" Hudson plugin that worked well for us:
> >
> > http://github.com/stephenh/hudson-git2
> >
> > There is a git.hpi file checked into the target directory so that you
> > don't have to build it yourself.
>
> I decided that I'd check this out, as the existing Git plugin chokes on
> our git-rev-list(1) on our enormous Git repository.
>
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but did you actually upload or check in the
> target/ directory? Your .markdown references target/git.hpi as well, but
> I can't seem to find it :-/

Ack, sorry, just added it.

- Stephen