* [lm-sensors] Aspire One Intel Atom's Motherboard support
@ 2008-07-16 12:53 Simon Depiets
                   ` (5 more replies)
From: Simon Depiets @ 2008-07-16 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lm-sensors

Hi,
 I've been recently offered an Acer Aspire One netbook and I wish to
control the fanspeed manualy
 I installed the lastest version of lm-sensors (3.0.2), when typing
  $ sensors
     i get
  No sensors found!

This could be normal, so I did a
  $ sudo ./sensors-detect
      and the program wants to load the module
  `i2c-i801`
   I don't have such a module, but i have i2c-dev loaded, is i2c-i801
different, mandatory ? How do I add it (I'm not a kernel building
"fan"-boy yet sorry :p)

 My /proc/acpi/fan folder is empty, so it seems acpi support by my
kernel is just partial (acpi_listen detects battery status io)

Here are my
 - lsmod :  http://www.mmo-tools.com/acpi/lsmod.txt
 - lspci : http://www.mmo-tools.com/acpi/lspci.txt
 - modinfo i2c-dev : http://www.mmo-tools.com/acpi/modinfo_i2c-dev.txt
 - modprobe coretemp (is this a mandatory module ?) :
http://www.mmo-tools.com/acpi/modprobe_coretemp.txt
 - sudo ./sensors-detect-stat.pl
http://www.mmo-tools.com/acpi/sensors-detect-stat.txt

I'm looking forward for you help
Thanks a lot and sorry for my poor frenglish
--
Lliane aka Simon Depiets
Epita Promo 2011,42

* Re: [lm-sensors] Aspire One Intel Atom's Motherboard support
@ 2009-01-06 16:00 ` Andreas Radke
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Andreas Radke @ 2009-01-06 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lm-sensors

Am Wed, 16 Jul 2008 14:53:20 +0200
schrieb "Simon Depiets" <sdepiets@gmail.com>:

> Hi,
>  I've been recently offered an Acer Aspire One netbook and I wish to
> control the fanspeed manualy
>  I installed the lastest version of lm-sensors (3.0.2), when typing
>   $ sensors
>      i get
>   No sensors found!
>
> This could be normal, so I did a
>   $ sudo ./sensors-detect
>       and the program wants to load the module
>   `i2c-i801`
>    I don't have such a module, but i have i2c-dev loaded, is i2c-i801
> different, mandatory ? How do I add it (I'm not a kernel building
> "fan"-boy yet sorry :p)
>
>  My /proc/acpi/fan folder is empty, so it seems acpi support by my
> kernel is just partial (acpi_listen detects battery status io)
>
> Here are my
>  - lsmod :  http://www.mmo-tools.com/acpi/lsmod.txt
>  - lspci : http://www.mmo-tools.com/acpi/lspci.txt
>  - modinfo i2c-dev : http://www.mmo-tools.com/acpi/modinfo_i2c-dev.txt
>  - modprobe coretemp (is this a mandatory module ?) :
> http://www.mmo-tools.com/acpi/modprobe_coretemp.txt
>  - sudo ./sensors-detect-stat.pl
> http://www.mmo-tools.com/acpi/sensors-detect-stat.txt
>
> I'm looking forward for you help
> Thanks a lot and sorry for my poor frenglish

What's the state? Can we see full lm_sensor support in the near future?

-Andy

* Re: [lm-sensors] Aspire One Intel Atom's Motherboard support
@ 2009-01-07 22:00 ` Jean Delvare
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Jean Delvare @ 2009-01-07 22:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lm-sensors

On Tue, 6 Jan 2009 17:00:53 +0100, Andreas Radke wrote:
> Am Wed, 16 Jul 2008 14:53:20 +0200
> schrieb "Simon Depiets" <sdepiets@gmail.com>:
>
> > Hi,
> >  I've been recently offered an Acer Aspire One netbook and I wish to
> > control the fanspeed manualy
> >  I installed the lastest version of lm-sensors (3.0.2), when typing
> >   $ sensors
> >      i get
> >   No sensors found!
> >
> > This could be normal, so I did a
> >   $ sudo ./sensors-detect
> >       and the program wants to load the module
> >   `i2c-i801`
> >    I don't have such a module, but i have i2c-dev loaded, is i2c-i801
> > different, mandatory ? How do I add it (I'm not a kernel building
> > "fan"-boy yet sorry :p)
> >
> >  My /proc/acpi/fan folder is empty, so it seems acpi support by my
> > kernel is just partial (acpi_listen detects battery status io)
> >
> > Here are my
> >  - lsmod :  http://www.mmo-tools.com/acpi/lsmod.txt
> >  - lspci : http://www.mmo-tools.com/acpi/lspci.txt
> >  - modinfo i2c-dev : http://www.mmo-tools.com/acpi/modinfo_i2c-dev.txt
> >  - modprobe coretemp (is this a mandatory module ?) :
> > http://www.mmo-tools.com/acpi/modprobe_coretemp.txt
> >  - sudo ./sensors-detect-stat.pl
> > http://www.mmo-tools.com/acpi/sensors-detect-stat.txt
> >
> > I'm looking forward for you help
> > Thanks a lot and sorry for my poor frenglish
>

> What's the state? Can we see full lm_sensor support in the near future?

Full support for what exactly, please?

--
Jean Delvare

* Re: [lm-sensors] Aspire One Intel Atom's Motherboard support
@ 2009-01-09 21:57 ` Andreas Radke
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Andreas Radke @ 2009-01-09 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lm-sensors

Am Wed, 7 Jan 2009 23:00:52 +0100
schrieb Jean Delvare <khali@linux-fr.org>:

> Full support for what exactly, please?

It would be nice if lm_sensors could find a sensor chip and report
something at all. I haven't heard of any success so far.

So does the netbook have a sensor chip and is there any progress going
on to read its sensors?

-Andy

* Re: [lm-sensors] Aspire One Intel Atom's Motherboard support
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-01-10  8:34 ` Jean Delvare
From: Jean Delvare @ 2009-01-10  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lm-sensors

On Fri, 9 Jan 2009 22:57:59 +0100, Andreas Radke wrote:
> Am Wed, 7 Jan 2009 23:00:52 +0100
> schrieb Jean Delvare <khali@linux-fr.org>:
>
> > Full support for what exactly, please?
> >

> It would be nice if lm_sensors could find a sensor chip and report
> something at all. I haven't heard of any success so far.
>
> So does the netbook have a sensor chip and is there any progress going
> on to read its sensors?

I still have to see the output of a recent version of sensors-detect
[1] on this laptop. Without that, I can't tell anything.

[1] http://www.lm-sensors.org/svn/lm-sensors/branches/lm-sensors-3.0.0/prog/detect/sensors-detect

--
Jean Delvare

* Re: [lm-sensors] Aspire One Intel Atom's Motherboard support
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-01-10 10:01 ` Dieter Jurzitza
From: Dieter Jurzitza @ 2009-01-10 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lm-sensors

Dear listmembers,
please see contents of the file "out" attached - this stems from my Acer
Aspire One.
Thank you for looking into this,
take care

Dieter Jurzitza

                                \
                 /\_/\           |
                | ~x~ |/-----\   /
                 \   /-       \_/
  ^^__   _        /  _  ____   /
 <°°__ \- \_/     |  |/    |  |
  ||  ||         _| _|    _| _|

if you really want to see the pictures above - use some font
with constant spacing like courier! :-)
-----------------------------------------------------------Am Samstag, 10.
Januar 2009 09:34:35 schrieb Jean Delvare:
> On Fri, 9 Jan 2009 22:57:59 +0100, Andreas Radke wrote:
****

[-- Attachment #2: out --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 3676 bytes --]

# sensors-detect revision 5337 (2008-09-19 17:05:28 +0200)

This program will help you determine which kernel modules you need
to load to use lm_sensors most effectively. It is generally safe
and recommended to accept the default answers to all questions,
unless you know what you're doing.

We can start with probing for (PCI) I2C or SMBus adapters.
Do you want to probe now? (YES/no): Probing for PCI bus adapters...
Use driver `i2c-i801' for device 0000:00:1f.3: Intel 82801G ICH7

We will now try to load each adapter module in turn.
Module `i2c-i801' already loaded.
If you have undetectable or unsupported I2C/SMBus adapters, you can have
them scanned by manually loading the modules before running this script.

We are now going to do the I2C/SMBus adapter probings. Some chips may
be double detected; we choose the one with the highest confidence
value in that case.
If you found that the adapter hung after probing a certain address,
you can specify that address to remain unprobed.

Next adapter: SMBus I801 adapter at 6000 (i2c-0)
Do you want to scan it? (YES/no/selectively): Client found at address 0x51
Probing for `Analog Devices ADM1033'...                     No
Probing for `Analog Devices ADM1034'...                     No
Probing for `SPD EEPROM'...                                 Yes
    (confidence 8, not a hardware monitoring chip)
Probing for `EDID EEPROM'...                                No

Some chips are also accessible through the ISA I/O ports. We have to
write to arbitrary I/O ports to probe them. This is usually safe though.
Yes, you do have ISA I/O ports even if you do not have any ISA slots!
Do you want to scan the ISA I/O ports? (YES/no): Probing for `National Semiconductor LM78' at 0x290...       No
Probing for `National Semiconductor LM78-J' at 0x290...     No
Probing for `National Semiconductor LM79' at 0x290...       No
Probing for `Winbond W83781D' at 0x290...                   No
Probing for `Winbond W83782D' at 0x290...                   No
Probing for `IPMI BMC KCS' at 0xca0...                      No
Probing for `IPMI BMC SMIC' at 0xca8...                     No

Some Super I/O chips may also contain sensors. We have to write to
standard I/O ports to probe them. This is usually safe.
Do you want to scan for Super I/O sensors? (YES/no): Probing for Super-I/O at 0x2e/0x2f
Trying family `National Semiconductor'...                   Yes
Found unknown chip with ID 0xfc11
Probing for Super-I/O at 0x4e/0x4f
Trying family `National Semiconductor'...                   No
Trying family `SMSC'...                                     No
Trying family `VIA/Winbond/Fintek'...                       No
Trying family `ITE'...                                      No

Some south bridges, CPUs or memory controllers may also contain
embedded sensors. Do you want to scan for them? (YES/no): Silicon Integrated Systems SIS5595...                       No
VIA VT82C686 Integrated Sensors...                          No
VIA VT8231 Integrated Sensors...                            No
AMD K8 thermal sensors...                                   No
AMD K10 thermal sensors...                                  No
Intel Core family thermal sensor...                         No
Intel AMB FB-DIMM thermal sensor...                         No
VIA C7 thermal and voltage sensors...                       No

Sorry, no sensors were detected.
Either your sensors are not supported, or they are connected to an
I2C or SMBus adapter that is not supported. See
http://www.lm-sensors.org/wiki/FAQ/Chapter3 for further information.
If you find out what chips are on your board, check
http://www.lm-sensors.org/wiki/Devices for driver status.

* Re: [lm-sensors] Aspire One Intel Atom's Motherboard support
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-01-10 10:30 ` Jean Delvare
From: Jean Delvare @ 2009-01-10 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lm-sensors

On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 11:01:36 +0100, Dieter Jurzitza wrote:
> Dear listmembers,
> please see contents of the file "out" attached - this stems from my Acer
> Aspire One.
> Thank you for looking into this,

Nothing relevant on the SMBus, and unknown Super-I/O chip. I'd say
you're out of luck and there is no hardware monitoring chip on this
motherboard. That's rather frequent on laptops, usually thermal
management is taken care of by ACPI and that's it.

--
Jean Delvare