* OE dev meeting
@ 2009-01-04 15:47 Michael 'Mickey' Lauer
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Michael 'Mickey' Lauer @ 2009-01-04 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

What are the odds that we can hold an OE meeting shortly after or before
FOSDEM?

Please vote.

--
:M:

* Re: OE dev meeting
@ 2009-01-04 16:27 ` Koen Kooi
From: Koen Kooi @ 2009-01-04 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

On 04-01-09 16:47, Michael 'Mickey' Lauer wrote:
> What are the odds that we can hold an OE meeting shortly after or before
> FOSDEM?

What's the purpose of the meeting, what is the intended audience, etc?
And what's the point in voting on what the odds are?

Apart from that, there's little chance I will be able to make it to
FOSDEM this year :(

regards,

Koen

* Re: OE dev meeting
@ 2009-01-04 22:12 ` Philip Balister
From: Philip Balister @ 2009-01-04 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

Michael 'Mickey' Lauer wrote:
> What are the odds that we can hold an OE meeting shortly after or before
> FOSDEM?
>
> Please vote.

How long would this meeting last? Before would be better for me. I need
to work this out ASAP so I can buy a plane ticket.

Philip

[-- Type: application/x-pkcs7-signature, Size: 3303 bytes --]

* Re: OE dev meeting
@ 2009-01-04 22:39   ` Michael 'Mickey' Lauer
From: Michael 'Mickey' Lauer @ 2009-01-04 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

Am Sunday 04 January 2009 23:12:15 schrieb Philip Balister:
> How long would this meeting last? Before would be better for me. I need
> to work this out ASAP so I can buy a plane ticket.

One day would be fine. There's a number of issues that need some consensus
before we can move forward. Things that come to mind include:

* The future of BitBake -- where to continue to develop it, in which style,
and which features to concentrate on.

* Splitting the recipe tree.

* Evaluating our feedback of the first months w/ git.

* Streamlining Poky merges.

* OE and the distro situation

* Documentation, Website, and Hosting.

IIRC Richard had some additional points. RP?

--
:M:

* Re: OE dev meeting
@ 2009-01-05  6:23 ` Marcin Juszkiewicz
From: Marcin Juszkiewicz @ 2009-01-05  6:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

On Sunday 04 of January 2009 16:47:42 Michael 'Mickey' Lauer wrote:
> What are the odds that we can hold an OE meeting shortly after or
> before FOSDEM?

By "before/after FOSDEM" you mean Thursday/Friday (5-6.02.09) or
Monday/Tuesday (09-10.02.09)? Or other dates?

JID:      hrw@jabber.org
Website:  http://marcin.juszkiewicz.com.pl/
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/marcinjuszkiewicz

* Re: OE dev meeting
@ 2009-01-05 12:30     ` Richard Purdie
From: Richard Purdie @ 2009-01-05 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

On Sun, 2009-01-04 at 23:39 +0100, Michael 'Mickey' Lauer wrote:
> Am Sunday 04 January 2009 23:12:15 schrieb Philip Balister:
> > How long would this meeting last? Before would be better for me. I need
> > to work this out ASAP so I can buy a plane ticket.
>
> One day would be fine. There's a number of issues that need some consensus
> before we can move forward. Things that come to mind include:

Agreed, one day would be fine. The question is who could be there?

Koen - most likely not
Mickey - quite likely?
Crofton - quite likely?
RP - if we're going to meet I will aim to be there
Marcin - ?
Zecke - ?
XorA - ?
pb_ - ?

> * The future of BitBake -- where to continue to develop it, in which style,
> and which features to concentrate on.

My view on this is:

 * Switch SCM to git
 * Keep as a separate project
 * Develop and accept features as people have need for them
 * 1.8 continues as "stable"
 * Trunk is the next gen branch with client/server split with UI
   capability.
 * Trunk replaces 1.8 when people feel its ready/usable.

> * Splitting the recipe tree.
>
> * Evaluating our feedback of the first months w/ git.
>
> * Streamlining Poky merges.
>
> * OE and the distro situation
>
> * Documentation, Website, and Hosting.
>
> IIRC Richard had some additional points. RP?

Most of it fits into the above categories. I also wanted to talk to
people and find out what people are now all doing, which directions
people are moving in (and its implications for OE) and also perhaps try
and convey the direction Poky is going. I've lost touch with what some
people are doing a bit and the reverse is also problem true and probably
others are in a similar position?

Perhaps the alternative is to try and have a meeting on IRC where at
least as many of the above people are available online without other
commitments? We could probably get through things fairly quickly?

Cheers,

Richard

--
Richard Purdie
Intel Open Source Technology Centre

* Re: OE dev meeting
@ 2009-01-05 12:41       ` Graeme Gregory
From: Graeme Gregory @ 2009-01-05 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

Richard Purdie wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-01-04 at 23:39 +0100, Michael 'Mickey' Lauer wrote:
>
>> Am Sunday 04 January 2009 23:12:15 schrieb Philip Balister:
>>
>>> How long would this meeting last? Before would be better for me. I need
>>> to work this out ASAP so I can buy a plane ticket.
>>>
>> One day would be fine. There's a number of issues that need some consensus
>> before we can move forward. Things that come to mind include:
>>

> Agreed, one day would be fine. The question is who could be there?
>
> Koen - most likely not
> Mickey - quite likely?
> Crofton - quite likely?
> RP - if we're going to meet I will aim to be there
> Marcin - ?
> Zecke - ?
> XorA - ?
> pb_ - ?

I hadn't made the decision whether I could afford FOSDEM yet!

Graeme

* Re: OE dev meeting
@ 2009-01-05 12:59         ` Koen Kooi
From: Koen Kooi @ 2009-01-05 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

On 05-01-09 13:41, Graeme Gregory wrote:
> Richard Purdie wrote:

>>> One day would be fine. There's a number of issues that need some consensus
>>> before we can move forward. Things that come to mind include:
>>>
>> Agreed, one day would be fine. The question is who could be there?
>>
>> Koen - most likely not
>> Mickey - quite likely?
>> Crofton - quite likely?
>> RP - if we're going to meet I will aim to be there
>> Marcin - ?
>> Zecke - ?
>> XorA - ?
>> pb_ - ?
>>
> I hadn't made the decision whether I could afford FOSDEM yet!

I'm pretty much in the same boat.

regards,

Koen, who is still waiting on previous OEDEM reimbursements

* Re: OE dev meeting
@ 2009-01-08  0:29           ` Michael 'Mickey' Lauer
From: Michael 'Mickey' Lauer @ 2009-01-08  0:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

It looks like there's a slight majority in favour of _before_ FOSDEM, so lets
check who could be there on Friday.

This year, I want to depart on Sunday, so Friday will work for me.

Cheers,

:M:

NB: With regards to the imbursements, Stelios, do you still have our invoices?
We need them sent to Cornelius. If you can't do that, please forward 'em to
me.

* Re: OE dev meeting
@ 2009-01-08 15:15     ` Ken Gilmer
From: Ken Gilmer @ 2009-01-08 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

Maybe you also can decide on Mateo's OE logo proposal.

cheers
ken

@ 2009-01-09  1:26             ` Philip Balister
From: Philip Balister @ 2009-01-09  1:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

Michael 'Mickey' Lauer wrote:
> It looks like there's a slight majority in favour of _before_ FOSDEM, so lets
> check who could be there on Friday.
>
> This year, I want to depart on Sunday, so Friday will work for me.

I'll be there Friday. How long should we block off for Friday? Who will
be able to attend? I'm assuming anyone with OE interest who will be in
Brussels is welcome.

I'm arriving a few days early and will impersonate a tourist until
Friday AM.

Philip

> Cheers,
>
> :M:
>
> NB: With regards to the imbursements, Stelios, do you still have our invoices?
> We need them sent to Cornelius. If you can't do that, please forward 'em to
> me.

[-- Type: application/x-pkcs7-signature, Size: 3303 bytes --]

* Re: OE dev meeting
@ 2009-01-09  8:40             ` Phil Blundell
                                 ` (2 more replies)
From: Phil Blundell @ 2009-01-09  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

Friday would be OK for me.

p.

On Thu, 2009-01-08 at 01:29 +0100, Michael 'Mickey' Lauer wrote:
> It looks like there's a slight majority in favour of _before_ FOSDEM, so lets
> check who could be there on Friday.
>
> This year, I want to depart on Sunday, so Friday will work for me.
>
> Cheers,
>
> :M:
>
> NB: With regards to the imbursements, Stelios, do you still have our invoices?
> We need them sent to Cornelius. If you can't do that, please forward 'em to
> me.

* Re: OE dev meeting
@ 2009-01-13 10:47               ` Graeme Gregory
From: Graeme Gregory @ 2009-01-13 10:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

As there are no flights on the thursday, earliest I can arrive is about
4pm at Astrid :-(

Graeme

* Re: OE dev meeting
@ 2009-01-13 10:58               ` Alessandro GARDICH
From: Alessandro GARDICH @ 2009-01-13 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

Also if I wasn't active in in OE in the last year I'll like to partecipate,
but I'll be in Brussels for friday ad 12:00 about ...
maybe I can join later if you start on morning

--
 /-------------------------------------------------------------\
|           Alessandro Gardich : gremlin#gremlin!it             |
 >-------------------------------------------------------------<
|  I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself.                   |
|  A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough              |
|  without ever having felt sorry for itself.                   |
 \-------------------------------------------------------------/

* Re: OE dev meeting
@ 2009-01-13 13:16               ` Marcin Juszkiewicz
From: Marcin Juszkiewicz @ 2009-01-13 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

On Friday 09 of January 2009 09:40:12 Phil Blundell wrote:
> Friday would be OK for me.

I will arrive on Thursday evening to Astrid hotel. Planned to be a
tourist during Friday but OE meeting on Friday is ok for me.

The question is where it will take place...

@ 2009-01-13 13:34                 ` Philip Balister
From: Philip Balister @ 2009-01-13 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

Graeme Gregory wrote:
> As there are no flights on the thursday, earliest I can arrive is about
> 4pm at Astrid :-(

Well, at least you can make the beer event :)

@ 2009-01-21 21:29                   ` Leon Woestenberg
From: Leon Woestenberg @ 2009-01-21 21:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

Hello all,

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 2:34 PM, Philip Balister <philip@balister.org> wrote:
> Graeme Gregory wrote:
>>
>> As there are no flights on the thursday, earliest I can arrive is about
>> 4pm at Astrid :-(
>
> Well, at least you can make the beer event :)

Did someone try to arrange group discount as Astrid, or do we just book as-is?

I was at the beer event last year but missed most key OE ppl because
they decided to be next-doors or so.
So I just got drunk with the other geeks.

Can we exchange phone numbers ahead so that we can text message each
other on this?

Leon

* Re: OE dev meeting
@ 2009-01-21 21:34                     ` Philip Balister
From: Philip Balister @ 2009-01-21 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

Leon Woestenberg wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 2:34 PM, Philip Balister <philip@balister.org> wrote:
>> Graeme Gregory wrote:
>>> As there are no flights on the thursday, earliest I can arrive is about
>>> 4pm at Astrid :-(
>> Well, at least you can make the beer event :)
>>
> Did someone try to arrange group discount as Astrid, or do we just book as-is?

We've been booking. The Astrid website showed no vacancy, but I got a
room via Expedia, and they did reply to an email saying they had rooms.

> I was at the beer event last year but missed most key OE ppl because
> they decided to be next-doors or so.
> So I just got drunk with the other geeks.
>
> Can we exchange phone numbers ahead so that we can text message each
> other on this?

I need to look into using my Blackberry in .eu without going broke on
data charges ...

@ 2009-01-21 22:14                       ` Ulf Samuelsson
From: Ulf Samuelsson @ 2009-01-21 22:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

ons 2009-01-21 klockan 14:34 -0700 skrev Philip Balister:
> Leon Woestenberg wrote:
> > Hello all,

> >> Well, at least you can make the beer event :)
> >>
> > Did someone try to arrange group discount as Astrid, or do we just book as-is?
>
> We've been booking. The Astrid website showed no vacancy, but I got a
> room via Expedia, and they did reply to an email saying they had rooms.
>

> > I was at the beer event last year but missed most key OE ppl because
> > they decided to be next-doors or so.
> > So I just got drunk with the other geeks.
> >
> > Can we exchange phone numbers ahead so that we can text message each
> > other on this?
>
> I need to look into using my Blackberry in .eu without going broke on
> data charges ...

Get a hotel with free Wifi.

I was hoping for Scandic, which is ~ 150 meters from the beer event,
but that was fully booked, so I got SAS-Radisson (300 m from beer event)
~99 Euro/night (unless you got SAS miles).

Astrid, if not fully booked is 69 Euros/night.

BR
Ulf Samuelsson

> Philip

* Re: OE dev meeting
@ 2009-01-21 22:25                         ` Philip Balister
From: Philip Balister @ 2009-01-21 22:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

Ulf Samuelsson wrote:
> ons 2009-01-21 klockan 14:34 -0700 skrev Philip Balister:
>> Leon Woestenberg wrote:

>>> Did someone try to arrange group discount as Astrid, or do we just book as-is?
>> We've been booking. The Astrid website showed no vacancy, but I got a
>> room via Expedia, and they did reply to an email saying they had rooms.
>>
>>> I was at the beer event last year but missed most key OE ppl because
>>> they decided to be next-doors or so.
>>> So I just got drunk with the other geeks.
>>>
>>> Can we exchange phone numbers ahead so that we can text message each
>>> other on this?
>> I need to look into using my Blackberry in .eu without going broke on
>> data charges ...
>>

> Get a hotel with free Wifi.

Linksys provides wifi for the Astrid (well, if you get the right room).
It's not like we spend much time in the Hotel. The bigger problem is the
wifi at FOSDEM. Building a network for several thousand nerds is tough.

Philip

@ 2009-01-22  7:16                     ` Alessandro GARDICH
From: Alessandro GARDICH @ 2009-01-22  7:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

Leon Woestenberg wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 2:34 PM, Philip Balister <philip@balister.org> wrote:
>
>> Graeme Gregory wrote:
>>
>>> As there are no flights on the thursday, earliest I can arrive is about
>>> 4pm at Astrid :-(
>>>
>> Well, at least you can make the beer event :)
>>

> Did someone try to arrange group discount as Astrid, or do we just book as-is?
>
> I was at the beer event last year but missed most key OE ppl because
> they decided to be next-doors or so.
> So I just got drunk with the other geeks.
>
> Can we exchange phone numbers ahead so that we can text message each
> other on this?
>
> Regards,

I agree ...
or we can meet at Astrid hall and then go all at the Delirium Caffe

I already book the room at Astrid and i think some other already did ...

--