* IP35 Origin 300/3000 support?
@ 2009-01-27 17:49 Laurent GUERBY
From: Laurent GUERBY @ 2009-01-27 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux MIPS List, Debian MIPS

Hi,

The wiki page:

http://www.linux-mips.org/wiki/IP35

states "IP35 is not yet supported by Linux. A port initially targeting
only the Origin 300 has been started".

The last edit of the wiki was in 2007, does anyone know if it is now
supported by Linux/Debian?

Would access to hardware help?

Thanks in advance,

Laurent
http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/CompileFarm

* Re: IP35 Origin 300/3000 support?
@ 2009-01-27 18:57 ` Ralf Baechle
From: Ralf Baechle @ 2009-01-27 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laurent GUERBY; +Cc: Linux MIPS List, Debian MIPS

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 06:49:10PM +0100, Laurent GUERBY wrote:

> The wiki page:
>
> http://www.linux-mips.org/wiki/IP35
>
> states "IP35 is not yet supported by Linux. A port initially targeting
> only the Origin 300 has been started".
>
> The last edit of the wiki was in 2007, does anyone know if it is now
> supported by Linux/Debian?

No; the page accurately reflects the status of kernel development where I
stopped.

> Would access to hardware help?

Only to a limited degree - the project has currently not yet reached the
stage where access to more hardware would really be useful.  But before
somebody dumps the hardware I can be convinced to give it a good home :-)
At some point having access to more configurations will be essential -
dealing with different configurations on Origin class hardware is very
complex.  My current hardware is a single module, Origin 300 with
4 R10000 CPUs.

  Ralf

* Re: IP35 Origin 300/3000 support?
@ 2009-01-27 19:44   ` Laurent GUERBY
From: Laurent GUERBY @ 2009-01-27 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ralf Baechle; +Cc: Linux MIPS List, Debian MIPS

On Tue, 2009-01-27 at 18:57 +0000, Ralf Baechle wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 06:49:10PM +0100, Laurent GUERBY wrote:
>
> > The wiki page:
> >
> > http://www.linux-mips.org/wiki/IP35
> >
> > states "IP35 is not yet supported by Linux. A port initially targeting
> > only the Origin 300 has been started".
> >
> > The last edit of the wiki was in 2007, does anyone know if it is now
> > supported by Linux/Debian?
>
> No; the page accurately reflects the status of kernel development where I
> stopped.
>
> > Would access to hardware help?
>
> Only to a limited degree - the project has currently not yet reached the
> stage where access to more hardware would really be useful.  But before
> somebody dumps the hardware I can be convinced to give it a good home :-)
> At some point having access to more configurations will be essential -
> dealing with different configurations on Origin class hardware is very
> complex.  My current hardware is a single module, Origin 300 with
> 4 R10000 CPUs.

For the compile farm project I manage I was proposed a donation of the
exact same hardware (Origin 300 with 4 cpus and 2GB RAM). I'll let
you know when I have more information.

BTW, in the SGI/MIPS family, do you know what is the most powerful
hardware currently supported (hardware not weighting near a ton, more
like a workstation or a few U)? Bootstraping GCC takes a while these
days :).

Thanks for your help,

@ 2009-01-27 22:10     ` Ralf Baechle
From: Ralf Baechle @ 2009-01-27 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laurent GUERBY; +Cc: Linux MIPS List, Debian MIPS

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 08:44:30PM +0100, Laurent GUERBY wrote:

> For the compile farm project I manage I was proposed a donation of the
> exact same hardware (Origin 300 with 4 cpus and 2GB RAM). I'll let
> you know when I have more information.
>
> BTW, in the SGI/MIPS family, do you know what is the most powerful
> hardware currently supported (hardware not weighting near a ton, more
> like a workstation or a few U)? Bootstraping GCC takes a while these
> days :).

Some R10000-family based workstation that would be then.  That leaves the
choice between the Indigo 2 R10000 (supported in tree), O2 (R10000
version not supported in-tree and external patches not stable afaik) and
the Octane which is only supported by external patches.

If you're just after raw computing power for bootstrapping GCC then maybe
what you want is something like a Broadcom Swarm or Big Sur evaluation
board which have 2 rsp. 4 pretty beefy cores with FPU.  Maybe there is
also something Cavium-based that works reasonably well - my Cavium system
unfortunately has no PATA or SATA controller and no PCI slots thus no
local storage.

My personal wish to eval board developers - design those things to be
usable like workstations or headless servers, with the option of local
storage and a system controller along the lines of an Origins that
allows remote reset etc.  Costs one microcontroller extra, adds alots of
usability.  Malta got that one right (send a break on the serial console
for reset) and Cavium has an extra serial port for that sort of use.

  Ralf