* [U-Boot] Compiling for i386
@ 2009-02-22 22:17 Drasko DRASKOVIC
From: Drasko DRASKOVIC @ 2009-02-22 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi all,
can u-boot be copiled for PC (i.e. x86 machine) and run via qemu. I'd like
to use it for educational purposes, so I was wondering what would be the
best way to start it withouth the board.

BR,
Drasko

* [U-Boot] Compiling for i386
@ 2009-02-22 22:43 ` Wolfgang Denk
From: Wolfgang Denk @ 2009-02-22 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Dear Drasko,

In message <5ec3d7930902221417r691b95f1x81707e681c86e8aa@mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> can u-boot be copiled for PC (i.e. x86 machine) and run via qemu. I'd like
> to use it for educational purposes, so I was wondering what would be the
> best way to start it withouth the board.

It is probably *much* easier to use one of the supported non-x86
targets. See for example doc/README.qemu_mips

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Include the success of others in your dreams for your own success.

* [U-Boot] Compiling for i386
@ 2009-02-22 22:47 ` Graeme Russ
From: Graeme Russ @ 2009-02-22 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi Drasko,

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 9:17 AM, Drasko DRASKOVIC
<drasko.draskovic@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
> can u-boot be copiled for PC (i.e. x86 machine) and run via qemu. I'd like

There is an i386 port which I am actively working on, but I have never
tried to run it in qemu - I wouldn't imaging it would be that hard, but
since I have hardware to run it on, I have not had the need.

> to use it for educational purposes, so I was wondering what would be the
> best way to start it withouth the board.

Does it have to be for the i386 platform? I know there are other ports
which are routinely run under qemu and have supporting documentation to
help which is a big plus on i386

If you need the i386 port and do manage to get it working under qemu, some
documentation on your efforts would be greatly appreciated

> BR,
> Drasko

Cheers,

Graeme

* [U-Boot] Compiling for i386
@ 2009-02-22 23:08   ` Drasko DRASKOVIC
From: Drasko DRASKOVIC @ 2009-02-22 23:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Actually, I am interested in ARM platform, but I thought that it would be
the easiest solution to avoid croos-copiling for the moment, and just build
PC version and run it (like someone would run GRUB) in emulator. Than one
would be able to customize commands, debug via GDB connection to qemu, etc.

I took a look at http://thomas.enix.org/Blog-20081002153859-Technologie and
it seems a bit complicated for a start.

What platform would you suggest? Is there any other qemu platform port
except qemu_mips that exist today?
Please, have in mind that I am trying to avoid any use of actual hardware,
but only qemu emulator.

BR,
Drasko

On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 11:47 PM, Graeme Russ <graeme.russ@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Drasko,
>
> On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 9:17 AM, Drasko DRASKOVIC
> <drasko.draskovic@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > can u-boot be copiled for PC (i.e. x86 machine) and run via qemu. I'd
> like
>
> There is an i386 port which I am actively working on, but I have never
> tried to run it in qemu - I wouldn't imaging it would be that hard, but
> since I have hardware to run it on, I have not had the need.
>
> > to use it for educational purposes, so I was wondering what would be the
> > best way to start it withouth the board.
>
> Does it have to be for the i386 platform? I know there are other ports
> which are routinely run under qemu and have supporting documentation to
> help which is a big plus on i386
>
> If you need the i386 port and do manage to get it working under qemu, some
> documentation on your efforts would be greatly appreciated
>

> > BR,
> > Drasko
>
> Cheers,
>
> Graeme

* [U-Boot] Compiling for i386
@ 2009-02-22 23:15     ` Wolfgang Denk
From: Wolfgang Denk @ 2009-02-22 23:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Dear Drasko,

In message <5ec3d7930902221508r2140cb55pe9a00bf5192397d6@mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> Actually, I am interested in ARM platform, but I thought that it would be

Then use one of the supported ARM targets. IIRC, for example the SX1
runs fine under qemu.

Jean-Christophe (on Cc:) should be able to fill in details.

Cross compiling is trivial. Download and install the ELDK, then there
you are.

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"The best index to a person's character is a) how  he  treats  people
who can't do him any good and b) how he treats people who can't fight
back."                                            - Abigail Van Buren