* Kconfig changes in /hg/v4l-dvb caused dvb_usb_cxusb to stop building
@ 2009-03-08  9:08 Peter Baartz
From: Peter Baartz @ 2009-03-08  9:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-media

HI,

I have Dvico dual 4 DVB-T card (rev. 2), which  wants to use the
module dvb_usb_cxusb.

When i attempt  build http://linuxtv.org/hg/v4l-dvb, make no longer
builds cxusb...

The  Kconfig: commits appear to have caused this... i.e. cxusb build
fine when using  "changeset 10834	277d533e87cd"  (it's just prior  to
Kconfig: commits )  from hg/v4l-dvb.

Thanks,
Peter

..

* Re: Kconfig changes in /hg/v4l-dvb caused dvb_usb_cxusb to stop building
@ 2009-03-08 17:03 ` Mauro Carvalho Chehab
From: Mauro Carvalho Chehab @ 2009-03-08 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Baartz; +Cc: linux-media

On Sun, 8 Mar 2009 19:08:43 +1000
Peter Baartz <baartzy@gmail.com> wrote:

> HI,
>
> I have Dvico dual 4 DVB-T card (rev. 2), which  wants to use the
> module dvb_usb_cxusb.
>
> When i attempt  build http://linuxtv.org/hg/v4l-dvb, make no longer
> builds cxusb...
>
> The  Kconfig: commits appear to have caused this... i.e. cxusb build
> fine when using  "changeset 10834	277d533e87cd"  (it's just prior  to
> Kconfig: commits )  from hg/v4l-dvb.

Peter,

This seems to be caused by a bug at the out-of-tree building system. I'm
currently checking what's going wrong.

Cheers,
Mauro

* Re: Kconfig changes in /hg/v4l-dvb caused dvb_usb_cxusb to stop building
@ 2009-03-08 18:38   ` VDR User
From: VDR User @ 2009-03-08 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mauro Carvalho Chehab; +Cc: Peter Baartz, linux-media

On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 10:03 AM, Mauro Carvalho Chehab
<mchehab@infradead.org> wrote:
> This seems to be caused by a bug at the out-of-tree building system. I'm
> currently checking what's going wrong.

Yesterday I grabbed a fresh clone of v4l and compiled drivers for my
nexus-s.  Only that none of the required frontend modules were enabled
automatically as they should be when I selected AV7110.  I had to
manually go enable them by hand.  Luckily I knew which ones were
needed but I'm sure a ton of users have no clue.

* Re: Kconfig changes in /hg/v4l-dvb caused dvb_usb_cxusb to stop building
@ 2009-03-08 18:51     ` Mauro Carvalho Chehab
From: Mauro Carvalho Chehab @ 2009-03-08 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: VDR User; +Cc: Peter Baartz, linux-media

On Sun, 8 Mar 2009 11:38:06 -0700
VDR User <user.vdr@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 10:03 AM, Mauro Carvalho Chehab
> <mchehab@infradead.org> wrote:
> > This seems to be caused by a bug at the out-of-tree building system. I'm
> > currently checking what's going wrong.
>
> Yesterday I grabbed a fresh clone of v4l and compiled drivers for my
> nexus-s.  Only that none of the required frontend modules were enabled
> automatically as they should be when I selected AV7110.  I had to
> manually go enable them by hand.  Luckily I knew which ones were
> needed but I'm sure a ton of users have no clue.

Hopefully, it should be fixed right now. I did a one-line change at the scripts
that does the .config initialization. At least, on my tests, everything seems
to be fine right now with -hg.

Cheers,
Mauro

* Re: Kconfig changes in /hg/v4l-dvb caused dvb_usb_cxusb to stop building
@ 2009-03-08 23:54       ` VDR User
From: VDR User @ 2009-03-08 23:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mauro Carvalho Chehab; +Cc: Peter Baartz, linux-media

On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 11:51 AM, Mauro Carvalho Chehab
<mchehab@infradead.org> wrote:
>> Yesterday I grabbed a fresh clone of v4l and compiled drivers for my
>> nexus-s.  Only that none of the required frontend modules were enabled
>> automatically as they should be when I selected AV7110.  I had to
>> manually go enable them by hand.  Luckily I knew which ones were
>> needed but I'm sure a ton of users have no clue.
>
> Hopefully, it should be fixed right now. I did a one-line change at the scripts
> that does the .config initialization. At least, on my tests, everything seems
> to be fine right now with -hg.

I just grabbed a fresh clone (7cfb5386b66f tip) to see and it's still
broken.  Everything was enabled in menuconfig by default but
deselecting everything and then enabling AV7110 back still isn't
-M-'ing the required frontends.

* Re: Kconfig changes in /hg/v4l-dvb caused dvb_usb_cxusb to stop building
@ 2009-03-09  1:07         ` Mauro Carvalho Chehab
From: Mauro Carvalho Chehab @ 2009-03-09  1:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: VDR User; +Cc: Mauro Carvalho Chehab, Peter Baartz, linux-media

On Sun, 8 Mar 2009, VDR User wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 11:51 AM, Mauro Carvalho Chehab
> <mchehab@infradead.org> wrote:
>>> Yesterday I grabbed a fresh clone of v4l and compiled drivers for my
>>> nexus-s.  Only that none of the required frontend modules were enabled
>>> automatically as they should be when I selected AV7110.  I had to
>>> manually go enable them by hand.  Luckily I knew which ones were
>>> needed but I'm sure a ton of users have no clue.
>>
>> Hopefully, it should be fixed right now. I did a one-line change at the scripts
>> that does the .config initialization. At least, on my tests, everything seems
>> to be fine right now with -hg.
>
> I just grabbed a fresh clone (7cfb5386b66f tip) to see and it's still
> broken.  Everything was enabled in menuconfig by default but
> deselecting everything and then enabling AV7110 back still isn't
> -M-'ing the required frontends.

It won't mark they with M, if you keep enabling DVB_FE_CUSTOMISE, since
this Kconfig var allows manual override over the frontend modules.

In order to just select what av7110 modules need, you should disable it.
By disabling, the building system will auto-select the frontends that are
needed by a full av7110 support.

This is what I get here if I disable all video devices but av7110:

$ cat linux/drivers/media/dvb/frontends/Makefile | perl -ne 'if
(m/CONFIG_([A-Z_\d]+)/) { print "$1\n" }' >/tmp/fe; grep -f /tmp/fe
v4l/.config
CONFIG_DVB_STV0299=m
CONFIG_DVB_TDA8083=m
CONFIG_DVB_VES1X93=m
CONFIG_DVB_SP8870=m
CONFIG_DVB_L64781=m
CONFIG_DVB_VES1820=m
CONFIG_DVB_STV0297=m
CONFIG_DVB_LNBP21=m

Cheers,
Mauro

---
As reference, this is the complete .config, where I've disabled all
V4L/Radio/DVB adapters, keeping just av7110 and letting the building
system to auto-select the tuners and the frontends:

#
# Automatically generated make config: don't edit
# Linux kernel version:
# Sun Mar  8 22:04:08 2009
#
CONFIG_INPUT=y
CONFIG_USB=y
# CONFIG_SPARC64 is not set
# CONFIG_of is not set
# CONFIG_M is not set
# CONFIG_PLAT_M32700UT is not set
# CONFIG_GENERIC_GPIO is not set
# CONFIG_dependencies is not set
CONFIG_FB_CFB_IMAGEBLIT=y
# CONFIG_GPIO_PCA953X is not set
# CONFIG_HAVE_CLK is not set
CONFIG_SND_MPU401_UART=m
CONFIG_SND=m
# CONFIG_ARCH_OMAP2 is not set
# CONFIG_SPARC32 is not set
CONFIG_I2C_ALGOBIT=m
# CONFIG_IR is not set
CONFIG_INET=y
CONFIG_CRC32=m
CONFIG_SYSFS=y
# CONFIG_ISA is not set
CONFIG_PCI=y
CONFIG_PARPORT_1284=y
CONFIG_FB_CFB_FILLRECT=y
CONFIG_VIRT_TO_BUS=y
CONFIG_PARPORT=m
# CONFIG_Avoids is not set
# CONFIG_due is not set
CONFIG_NET=y
CONFIG_FB_CFB_COPYAREA=y
CONFIG_SND_AC97_CODEC=m
# CONFIG_PXA27x is not set
# CONFIG_SGI_IP22 is not set
CONFIG_I2C=m
CONFIG_STANDALONE=y
# CONFIG_Y is not set
CONFIG_MODULES=y
CONFIG_HAS_IOMEM=y
CONFIG_SND_OPL3_LIB=m
CONFIG_PROC_FS=y
# CONFIG_to is not set
# CONFIG_MEDIA_TUNER_CUSTOMISE is not set
CONFIG_HAS_DMA=y
# CONFIG_pvrusb is not set
CONFIG_FB=y
# CONFIG_DVB is not set
# CONFIG_SONY_LAPTOP is not set
# CONFIG_MX3_IPU is not set
CONFIG_SND_PCM=m
CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL=y
# CONFIG_M32R is not set
# CONFIG_I2C_ALGO_SGI is not set
# CONFIG_IEEE1394 is not set
# CONFIG_VIDEO_KERNEL_VERSION is not set

#
# Multimedia devices
#

#
# Multimedia core support
#
CONFIG_VIDEO_DEV=m
CONFIG_VIDEO_V4L2_COMMON=m
CONFIG_VIDEO_ALLOW_V4L1=y
CONFIG_VIDEO_V4L1_COMPAT=y
CONFIG_DVB_CORE=m
CONFIG_VIDEO_MEDIA=m

#
# Multimedia drivers
#
CONFIG_VIDEO_SAA7146=m
CONFIG_VIDEO_SAA7146_VV=m
CONFIG_MEDIA_ATTACH=y
CONFIG_MEDIA_TUNER=m
# CONFIG_MEDIA_TUNER_CUSTOMIZE is not set
CONFIG_MEDIA_TUNER_SIMPLE=m
CONFIG_MEDIA_TUNER_TDA8290=m
CONFIG_MEDIA_TUNER_TDA9887=m
CONFIG_MEDIA_TUNER_TEA5761=m
CONFIG_MEDIA_TUNER_TEA5767=m
CONFIG_MEDIA_TUNER_MT20XX=m
CONFIG_MEDIA_TUNER_XC2028=m
CONFIG_MEDIA_TUNER_XC5000=m
CONFIG_MEDIA_TUNER_MC44S803=m
CONFIG_VIDEO_V4L2=m
CONFIG_VIDEO_V4L1=m
CONFIG_VIDEOBUF_GEN=m
CONFIG_VIDEOBUF_DMA_SG=m
# CONFIG_VIDEO_CAPTURE_DRIVERS is not set
# CONFIG_RADIO_ADAPTERS is not set
CONFIG_DVB_DYNAMIC_MINORS=y
CONFIG_DVB_CAPTURE_DRIVERS=y

#
# Supported SAA7146 based PCI Adapters
#
CONFIG_TTPCI_EEPROM=m
CONFIG_DVB_AV7110=m
CONFIG_DVB_AV7110_OSD=y
# CONFIG_DVB_BUDGET_CORE is not set

#
# Supported USB Adapters
#
# CONFIG_DVB_USB is not set
# CONFIG_DVB_TTUSB_BUDGET is not set
# CONFIG_DVB_TTUSB_DEC is not set
# CONFIG_DVB_SIANO_SMS1XXX is not set

#
# Supported FlexCopII (B2C2) Adapters
#
# CONFIG_DVB_B2C2_FLEXCOP is not set

#
# Supported BT878 Adapters
#

#
# Supported Pluto2 Adapters
#
# CONFIG_DVB_PLUTO2 is not set

#
# Supported SDMC DM1105 Adapters
#

#
# Supported DVB Frontends
#
# CONFIG_DVB_FE_CUSTOMISE is not set
CONFIG_DVB_STV0299=m
CONFIG_DVB_TDA8083=m
CONFIG_DVB_VES1X93=m
CONFIG_DVB_SP8870=m
CONFIG_DVB_L64781=m
CONFIG_DVB_VES1820=m
CONFIG_DVB_STV0297=m
CONFIG_DVB_LNBP21=m
# CONFIG_DAB is not set

#
# Audio devices for multimedia
#

#
# ALSA sound
#
CONFIG_SND_BT87X=m
CONFIG_SND_BT87X_OVERCLOCK=y

* Re: Kconfig changes in /hg/v4l-dvb caused dvb_usb_cxusb to stop building
@ 2009-03-09  6:37           ` VDR User
From: VDR User @ 2009-03-09  6:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mauro Carvalho Chehab; +Cc: Peter Baartz, linux-media

On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 6:07 PM, Mauro Carvalho Chehab
<mchehab@infradead.org> wrote:
> It won't mark they with M, if you keep enabling DVB_FE_CUSTOMISE, since this
> Kconfig var allows manual override over the frontend modules.

Ok, tried again and it's as you said.  I assumed the behavior of
DVB_FE_CUSTOMISE hadn't changed but it appears it has.  Although, I
think the previous behavior is still better having the required
modules as locked -M-.  At least then the user has some kind of
control over what modules are built without risk of disabling
something he needs.  What was the logic behind making this change?

That's one thing I don't understand... Why an os that prides itself on
user-customization seems to always be introducing ways to limit the
user.

Anyways, here's what I get:

$ grep "^CONFIG" .config
CONFIG_INPUT=y