* Warnings when building svn2137
@ 2009-04-24 13:06 BandiPat
From: BandiPat @ 2009-04-24 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Grub2 Development

Getting these errors when building the package for Zenwalk Linux!

WARNING:  zero length file usr/include/grub/lib/datetime.h
WARNING:  usr/man/man1/grub-mkimage.1.gz is an empty gzipped file
WARNING:  usr/man/man1/grub-mkelfimage.1.gz is an empty gzipped file
WARNING:  usr/man/man1/grub-mkfont.1.gz is an empty gzipped file
WARNING:  usr/man/man1/grub-editenv.1.gz is an empty gzipped file
WARNING:  usr/man/man1/grub-mkrescue.1.gz is an empty gzipped file
WARNING:  usr/man/man8/grub-setup.8.gz is an empty gzipped file
WARNING:  usr/man/man8/grub-mkdevicemap.8.gz is an empty gzipped file
WARNING:  usr/man/man8/grub-probe.8.gz is an empty gzipped file
WARNING:  usr/man/man8/grub-install.8.gz is an empty gzipped file
WARNING:  usr/man/man8/grub-mkconfig.8.gz is an empty gzipped file
WARNING:  usr/man/man8/grub-dumpbios.8.gz is an empty gzipped file

Checking the files does indeed show them empty.  Thanks for you help.
The datetime.h warning has been happening for a while now, yet it is not
an empty file, it's just reported that way at the end of the build and
packaging.

Regards,
Pat

* Re: Warnings when building svn2137
@ 2009-04-24 17:58 ` BandiPat
From: BandiPat @ 2009-04-24 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

BandiPat wrote:
> Getting these errors when building the package for Zenwalk Linux!
>
> WARNING:  zero length file usr/include/grub/lib/datetime.h
> WARNING:  usr/man/man1/grub-mkimage.1.gz is an empty gzipped file
> WARNING:  usr/man/man1/grub-mkelfimage.1.gz is an empty gzipped file
> WARNING:  usr/man/man1/grub-mkfont.1.gz is an empty gzipped file
> WARNING:  usr/man/man1/grub-editenv.1.gz is an empty gzipped file
> WARNING:  usr/man/man1/grub-mkrescue.1.gz is an empty gzipped file
> WARNING:  usr/man/man8/grub-setup.8.gz is an empty gzipped file
> WARNING:  usr/man/man8/grub-mkdevicemap.8.gz is an empty gzipped file
> WARNING:  usr/man/man8/grub-probe.8.gz is an empty gzipped file
> WARNING:  usr/man/man8/grub-install.8.gz is an empty gzipped file
> WARNING:  usr/man/man8/grub-mkconfig.8.gz is an empty gzipped file
> WARNING:  usr/man/man8/grub-dumpbios.8.gz is an empty gzipped file
>
> Checking the files does indeed show them empty.  Thanks for you help.
> The datetime.h warning has been happening for a while now, yet it is not
> an empty file, it's just reported that way at the end of the build and
> packaging.
==========

Answering my own email.  Seems these files have been empty for quite
some time, so this is nothing new.  Don't understand why suddenly one of
my computers started alerting me to them, while another still does not
mention them.  Seems though, someone still needs to fill these manuals
up so they'll have some info for the users later.  :-)

The only real warning at this point is the datetime.h, as it shouldn't
be showing up at all.

Thanks,
Pat

--
        ---Zenwalk v6.0--Linux 2.6.28---
         Registered Linux User #225206

* Re: Warnings when building svn2137
@ 2009-04-24 18:52   ` Pavel Roskin
From: Pavel Roskin @ 2009-04-24 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

On Fri, 2009-04-24 at 13:58 -0400, BandiPat wrote:
> BandiPat wrote:
> > Getting these errors when building the package for Zenwalk Linux!
> >
> > WARNING:  zero length file usr/include/grub/lib/datetime.h
> > WARNING:  usr/man/man1/grub-mkimage.1.gz is an empty gzipped file

I guess it's files installed in a temporary location, and the messages
are from your package manager.

> Answering my own email.  Seems these files have been empty for quite
> some time, so this is nothing new.  Don't understand why suddenly one of
> my computers started alerting me to them, while another still does not
> mention them.  Seems though, someone still needs to fill these manuals
> up so they'll have some info for the users later.  :-)

The manuals are generated from the output of the corresponding commands.
I believe your version of help2man is not working.  I'm going to fix the
makefile to prevent generation of empty manuals in that case.

> The only real warning at this point is the datetime.h, as it shouldn't
> be showing up at all.

Zero length datetime.h and datetime.c were left in the tree erroneously.
They were supposed to be moved to different locations.  I have removed
the empty files.

Pavel Roskin

* Re: Warnings when building svn2137
@ 2009-04-24 21:37     ` BandiPat
From: BandiPat @ 2009-04-24 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

Pavel Roskin wrote:

> The manuals are generated from the output of the corresponding commands.
> I believe your version of help2man is not working.  I'm going to fix the
> makefile to prevent generation of empty manuals in that case.
> -----------
Thanks Pavel.  Turns out I didn't know about help2man, so did not have
it installed.  Also turns out that the Zenwalk mirrors did not have it
available either, so I built a package for that.  After installing it,
then recompiling the package, all is well.  Wish I had known about that
little program before!  I'm guessing there are other programs that use
it when building.

>> The only real warning at this point is the datetime.h, as it shouldn't
>> be showing up at all.
>
> Zero length datetime.h and datetime.c were left in the tree erroneously.
> They were supposed to be moved to different locations.  I have removed
> the empty files.

-------
This one has never been a big problem, but I'll be glad to see the
warning go away at the end of the package build & check.  Thanks for
your help with this.

Regards,
Pat

--

@ 2009-04-24 22:03       ` Pavel Roskin
From: Pavel Roskin @ 2009-04-24 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: grub-devel

Quoting BandiPat <magicpage91@earthlink.net>:

> Pavel Roskin wrote:
>
>> The manuals are generated from the output of the corresponding commands.
>> I believe your version of help2man is not working.  I'm going to fix the
>> makefile to prevent generation of empty manuals in that case.
>> -----------
> Thanks Pavel.  Turns out I didn't know about help2man, so did not have
> it installed.

I didn't realize we would create empty manual pages in that case!
Still, my patch will fix it.

Pavel Roskin

* Re: Warnings when building svn2137
@ 2009-04-25 14:13         ` BandiPat
From: BandiPat @ 2009-04-25 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

Pavel Roskin wrote:
> Quoting BandiPat <magicpage91@earthlink.net>:
>
>> Pavel Roskin wrote:
>>
>>> The manuals are generated from the output of the corresponding commands.
>>> I believe your version of help2man is not working.  I'm going to fix the
>>> makefile to prevent generation of empty manuals in that case.
>>> -----------
>> Thanks Pavel.  Turns out I didn't know about help2man, so did not have
>> it installed.
>
> I didn't realize we would create empty manual pages in that case!
> Still, my patch will fix it.

---------
Yep, creates very nice empty manuals!  ;-)  Anyway, if someone hasn't
already, it might be a good idea to mention the help2man in your Wiki
and/or the Readme within the source.  Maybe something in the Wiki about
the programs needed to compile Grub2 the most efficiently?

It works a treat though and now Zenwalk mirrors have it available!

Thanks again.

Oh, has anyone experienced any problems with grub-mkdevicemap when
installing Grub2 or updating?  I had one user complain about it
segfaulting on his machine, but I've not seen any problems.  This is
with svn2137.

@ 2009-04-25 15:22           ` Andreas
From: Andreas @ 2009-04-25 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

BandiPat schrieb:
> Pavel Roskin wrote:
>> Quoting BandiPat <magicpage91@earthlink.net>:

>>> Thanks Pavel.  Turns out I didn't know about help2man, so did not have
>>> it installed.
>>
>> I didn't realize we would create empty manual pages in that case!
>> Still, my patch will fix it.
>>
> ---------
> Yep, creates very nice empty manuals!  ;-)  Anyway, if someone hasn't
> already, it might be a good idea to mention the help2man in your Wiki
> and/or the Readme within the source.  Maybe something in the Wiki
> about the programs needed to compile Grub2 the most efficiently?
>
> It works a treat though and now Zenwalk mirrors have it available!
>
> Thanks again.
>
> Oh, has anyone experienced any problems with grub-mkdevicemap when
> installing Grub2 or updating?  I had one user complain about it
> segfaulting on his machine, but I've not seen any problems.  This is
> with svn2137.
I'm experiencing also problems using it, but it's not segfaulting. Using
a svn2130 build grub-mkdevicemap --no-floppy create a device.map with
proper content like this:
(hd0) /dev/sda
But a svn2137 build (exactly the same BandiPat uses) creates this
content, which might not be wrong, but at least the most important part
my HDD is missing:
(fd0) (null)

Probably this problem was introduced by revision 2133 and obviously
wasn't fixed in rev 2134 - 2137 and in 2138 - 2140 I can see nothing
which might fix this.
It would be great if somebody could have a look what could cause this
problem. Maybe davem as the author of that revision.
If you need any additional information give me a yell and I'll try my
best to provide it.

Andreas

* Re: Warnings when building svn2137
@ 2009-04-25 17:23             ` BandiPat
From: BandiPat @ 2009-04-25 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

Andreas wrote:

>> Oh, has anyone experienced any problems with grub-mkdevicemap when
>> installing Grub2 or updating?  I had one user complain about it
>> segfaulting on his machine, but I've not seen any problems.  This is
>> with svn2137.
> I'm experiencing also problems using it, but it's not segfaulting. Using
> a svn2130 build grub-mkdevicemap --no-floppy create a device.map with
> proper content like this:
> (hd0) /dev/sda
> But a svn2137 build (exactly the same BandiPat uses) creates this
> content, which might not be wrong, but at least the most important part
> my HDD is missing:
> (fd0) (null)
>
> Probably this problem was introduced by revision 2133 and obviously
> wasn't fixed in rev 2134 - 2137 and in 2138 - 2140 I can see nothing
> which might fix this.
> It would be great if somebody could have a look what could cause this
> problem. Maybe davem as the author of that revision.
> If you need any additional information give me a yell and I'll try my
> best to provide it.
>
> Andreas
========
I just tested on one machine, running grub-mkdevicemap -v from the
shell, which resulted in a segfault and blank device.map file in /boot/grub!

Looks like some bug was introduced after svn2130 in the file.

Thanks devs for your attention to this one.

Pat