* Compling drivers from v4l-dvb hg tree
@ 2009-04-24  7:03 Erik de Castro Lopo
From: Erik de Castro Lopo @ 2009-04-24  7:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: video4linux-list

Hi all,

What's the recommended way for compiling drivers from v4l-dvb hg tree?

Cheers,
Erik
--
=======================
erik de castro lopo

bCODE
level 2, 2a glen street
milsons point
sydney nsw 2061
australia

tel +61 (0)2 9954 4411
fax +61 (0)2 9954 4422
www.bcode.com

* Re: Compling drivers from v4l-dvb hg tree
@ 2009-04-24 13:25 ` Devin Heitmueller
From: Devin Heitmueller @ 2009-04-24 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erik de Castro Lopo; +Cc: video4linux-list

On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 3:03 AM, Erik de Castro Lopo <erik@bcode.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> What's the recommended way for compiling drivers from v4l-dvb hg tree?
>
> Cheers,
> Erik

http://linuxtv.org/repo

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller
http://www.devinheitmueller.com

* Re: Compling drivers from v4l-dvb hg tree
@ 2009-04-24 22:03   ` Erik de Castro Lopo
From: Erik de Castro Lopo @ 2009-04-24 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: video4linux-list

On Fri, 24 Apr 2009 09:25:00 -0400
Devin Heitmueller <devin.heitmueller@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 3:03 AM, Erik de Castro Lopo <erik@bcode.com> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > What's the recommended way for compiling drivers from v4l-dvb hg tree?

> http://linuxtv.org/repo

Ok, but how do I patch the v4l-dvb sources into a linux kernel tree?

Erik
--
=======================

@ 2009-04-24 22:09     ` Devin Heitmueller
From: Devin Heitmueller @ 2009-04-24 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: video4linux-list

On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 6:03 PM, Erik de Castro Lopo <erik@bcode.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Apr 2009 09:25:00 -0400
> Devin Heitmueller <devin.heitmueller@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 3:03 AM, Erik de Castro Lopo <erik@bcode.com> wrote:
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > What's the recommended way for compiling drivers from v4l-dvb hg tree?
>

>> http://linuxtv.org/repo
>
> Ok, but how do I patch the v4l-dvb sources into a linux kernel tree?

You don't.

The v4l-dvb sources are maintained out-of-tree, and override whatever
is in the linux kernel tree.  Periodically, the v4l-dvb maintainer
syncs with the kernel tree and the changes are pushed upstream into
the mainline kernel.  This approach allows for the v4l-dvb project to
be used with kernel releases other than the current bleeding edge
kernel.

Devin

--

@ 2009-04-24 22:16       ` Erik de Castro Lopo
From: Erik de Castro Lopo @ 2009-04-24 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: video4linux-list

On Fri, 24 Apr 2009 18:09:17 -0400
Devin Heitmueller <devin.heitmueller@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Ok, but how do I patch the v4l-dvb sources into a linux kernel tree?
>
> You don't.
>
> The v4l-dvb sources are maintained out-of-tree, and override whatever
> is in the linux kernel tree.  Periodically, the v4l-dvb maintainer
> syncs with the kernel tree and the changes are pushed upstream into
> the mainline kernel.  This approach allows for the v4l-dvb project to
> be used with kernel releases other than the current bleeding edge
> kernel.

Ok,  but the instructions on http://linuxtv.org/repo compiles the
driver for the current running kernel. How do I compile it for
another kernel, ie an x86 embedded device that I normally do not
compile on?

Erik
--
=======================

@ 2009-04-24 22:22         ` Devin Heitmueller
From: Devin Heitmueller @ 2009-04-24 22:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: video4linux-list

On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 6:16 PM, Erik de Castro Lopo <erik@bcode.com> wrote:
> Ok,  but the instructions on http://linuxtv.org/repo compiles the
> driver for the current running kernel. How do I compile it for
> another kernel, ie an x86 embedded device that I normally do not
> compile on?

Yeah, that's a bit harder.  I did it a couple of months ago for ARM.
I had to change the path to ensure the path to the cross-compiler's
version of strip was ahead of the base operating system's version.

Check the linux-media archives for the subject "4vl + usb + arm" for
the discussion in March.

Devin

--

@ 2009-04-24 22:29           ` Erik de Castro Lopo
From: Erik de Castro Lopo @ 2009-04-24 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: video4linux-list

On Fri, 24 Apr 2009 18:22:40 -0400
Devin Heitmueller <devin.heitmueller@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yeah, that's a bit harder.  I did it a couple of months ago for ARM.
> I had to change the path to ensure the path to the cross-compiler's
> version of strip was ahead of the base operating system's version.

Well both my compile machine and my target are running x86 Ubuntu.
The only really relevant difference is that they have different
kernels, 2.6.26 on the compile machine and 2.6.29 on the target.

I've looked at the top level Makefile but there doesn't seem to be
a way os specifying compiling against another kernel.

Erik
--
=======================

@ 2009-04-24 22:33             ` Devin Heitmueller
From: Devin Heitmueller @ 2009-04-24 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: video4linux-list

On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 6:29 PM, Erik de Castro Lopo <erik@bcode.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Apr 2009 18:22:40 -0400
> Devin Heitmueller <devin.heitmueller@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Yeah, that's a bit harder.  I did it a couple of months ago for ARM.
>> I had to change the path to ensure the path to the cross-compiler's
>> version of strip was ahead of the base operating system's version.
>
> Well both my compile machine and my target are running x86 Ubuntu.
> The only really relevant difference is that they have different
> kernels, 2.6.26 on the compile machine and 2.6.29 on the target.
>
> I've looked at the top level Makefile but there doesn't seem to be
> a way os specifying compiling against another kernel.

It's the same basic issue.  To use a different kernel tree for the
headers, add "SRCDIR=" as an argument to make.

Devin

--

@ 2009-04-24 22:39               ` Erik de Castro Lopo
From: Erik de Castro Lopo @ 2009-04-24 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: video4linux-list

On Fri, 24 Apr 2009 18:33:57 -0400
Devin Heitmueller <devin.heitmueller@gmail.com> wrote:

> It's the same basic issue.  To use a different kernel tree for the
> headers, add "SRCDIR=" as an argument to make.

Cool, thanks for your help Devin.

Cheers,
Erik
--
=======================

@ 2009-04-25 17:35         ` Trent Piepho
From: Trent Piepho @ 2009-04-25 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux and Kernel Video; +Cc: Erik de Castro Lopo, linux-media

On Sat, 25 Apr 2009, Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Apr 2009 18:09:17 -0400
> Devin Heitmueller <devin.heitmueller@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > Ok, but how do I patch the v4l-dvb sources into a linux kernel tree?
> >
> > You don't.

You can, make kernel-links

> > The v4l-dvb sources are maintained out-of-tree, and override whatever
> > is in the linux kernel tree.  Periodically, the v4l-dvb maintainer
> > syncs with the kernel tree and the changes are pushed upstream into
> > the mainline kernel.  This approach allows for the v4l-dvb project to
> > be used with kernel releases other than the current bleeding edge
> > kernel.
>
> Ok,  but the instructions on http://linuxtv.org/repo compiles the
> driver for the current running kernel. How do I compile it for
> another kernel, ie an x86 embedded device that I normally do not
> compile on?

See "make help", it explains this.  Use "make release
DIR=/other/kernel/src/dir" to compile for any kernel you want.  I haven't
tried cross-compiling v4l-dvb so I'm not sure how that will work.  I'd just
try the standard ARCH and CROSS_COMPILE settings like a kernel build uses
and see what happens.