* [B.A.T.M.A.N.] vis server - global or local map?
@ 2009-04-21  3:25 Gargi Purohit
From: Gargi Purohit @ 2009-04-21  3:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The list for a Better Approach To Mobile Ad-hoc Networking

Hi

I have a 3 node network setup with Routerboards 433.  Each of these
boards have 2 wifi cards running. I run layer 2 batman kernel module
on these routers.

I have enabled vis server by:
 echo "server" > /proc/net/batman-adv/vis

and I can see the contents of the vis file now.

I wanted to know if the entire network map is made available to each
and every node OR the node has information only about its local
connectivity to its neighbors and max the neighbors immediate
connectivity.

For instance I have a set up

A----B----C----D-----E----F

Now wheter Node A will know if E is connected to P  and the link
quality of the same?
Or it would just know that A is connected to B and since B is its
immediate neighbor it would also know B is connected to C?

Regards

Gargi

* Re: [B.A.T.M.A.N.] vis server - global or local map?
@ 2009-04-27  9:01 ` Marek Lindner
From: Marek Lindner @ 2009-04-27  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The list for a Better Approach To Mobile Ad-hoc Networking

Hi,

> I wanted to know if the entire network map is made available to each
> and every node OR the node has information only about its local
> connectivity to its neighbors and max the neighbors immediate
> connectivity.

I'm not entirely sure about your question but I'll do my best to answer it.
Once you enable the vis server the node will activate a flag in his originator
messages indicating that you can send vis information. All nodes receiving
this OGM will send their vis client data to this node.
If you have several vis servers (due to out fo range problems) the nodes will
send their information to the nearest vis server whereas the vis server
themselves will sync with each other.

Hope it helps clarifying the situation,
Marek

* Re: [B.A.T.M.A.N.] vis server - global or local map?
@ 2009-04-29 18:19   ` Gargi Purohit
From: Gargi Purohit @ 2009-04-29 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The list for a Better Approach To Mobile Ad-hoc Networking

Ok so once VIS Servers synchronize - do they get updated with each
other's information. i.e. do they collate all information it got from
other vis servers to get some kind of mega information?

Basically assuming i have all nodes in a network working as vis
servers - can querying one vis server at a given point in time
give me a map of the entire network?

@ 2009-04-30  2:51     ` Marek Lindner
From: Marek Lindner @ 2009-04-30  2:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The list for a Better Approach To Mobile Ad-hoc Networking

On Thursday 30 April 2009 02:19:54 Gargi Purohit wrote:
> Ok so once VIS Servers synchronize - do they get updated with each
> other's information. i.e. do they collate all information it got from
> other vis servers to get some kind of mega information?
>
> Basically assuming i have all nodes in a network working as vis
> servers - can querying one vis server at a given point in time
> give me a map of the entire network?

Yes, correct. Although I strongly recommend to not make every node a vis
server.  ;-)

Regards,
Marek