* usbutils 0.82 release
@ 2009-05-06 22:24 Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2009-05-06 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-usb; +Cc: linux-kernel

Here's the 0.82 release of usbutils.

Many bugs with autoconf were resolved to hopefully make it easier for
distros to find where the usb.ids file is dynamically.  Wireless USB
device support was added, as well as other bugfixes.  The full shortlog
is below.

The tarballs can be downloaded from sf.net at:
	https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=3581

We've switched over to using git for development now, which makes things
much easier than the old cvs tree.  The tree can be found on both
kernel.org and github.com if you want to fork it and send us changes
easier:
	http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/gregkh/usbutils.git
	http://github.com/gregkh/usbutils/tree/master

thanks,

greg k-h

-----------

Shortlog of changes since last release (0.81):

Aurelien Jarno (3):
      lsusb: fix parsing of /proc/bus/usb/devices
      lsusb(8): also suggests usbview(8)
      lsusb(8): explain that -t option overrides -v

Greg Kroah-Hartman (1):
      fix merge error that I missed.

Kay Sievers (5):
      configure: default to /usr
      substitute usb.id location in man page and update script
      use DISTCLEANFILES and 'g' for 'sed'
      add usbutils.pc file to point to database file
      add usbutils.pc to .gitignore

Mike Frysinger (3):
      configure: use AC_MSG_RESULT() rather than echo
      fix handling of usb.ids.gz in the Makefile.am
      add update-usbids.sh to EXTRA_DIST

王神 (1):
      lsusb: add WUSB definitions and descriptor dumping

* Re: usbutils 0.82 release
@ 2009-05-07 11:51 ` Xiaofan Chen
From: Xiaofan Chen @ 2009-05-07 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg KH; +Cc: linux-usb, linux-kernel

On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 6:24 AM, Greg KH <greg@kroah.com> wrote:
> Here's the 0.82 release of usbutils.
>
> Many bugs with autoconf were resolved to hopefully make it easier for
> distros to find where the usb.ids file is dynamically.  Wireless USB
> device support was added, as well as other bugfixes.  The full shortlog
> is below.
>
> The tarballs can be downloaded from sf.net at:
>        https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=3581

Not sure if this is a real problem or not. There is a compiler warning
for gcc 4.4.0.

gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I.   -DDATADIR=\"/usr/share\"   -g -O2 -MT
lsusb-names.o -MD -MP -MF .deps/lsusb-names.Tpo -c -o lsusb-names.o
`test -f 'names.c' || echo './'`names.c
names.c: In function ‘names_init’:
names.c:803: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast

--
Xiaofan http://mcuee.blogspot.com

* Re: usbutils 0.82 release
@ 2009-05-08  4:01   ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2009-05-08  4:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xiaofan Chen; +Cc: linux-usb, linux-kernel

On Thu, May 07, 2009 at 07:51:23PM +0800, Xiaofan Chen wrote:
> On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 6:24 AM, Greg KH <greg@kroah.com> wrote:
> > Here's the 0.82 release of usbutils.
> >
> > Many bugs with autoconf were resolved to hopefully make it easier for
> > distros to find where the usb.ids file is dynamically.  Wireless USB
> > device support was added, as well as other bugfixes.  The full shortlog
> > is below.
> >
> > The tarballs can be downloaded from sf.net at:
> >        https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=3581
> >

> Not sure if this is a real problem or not. There is a compiler warning
> for gcc 4.4.0.
>
> gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I.   -DDATADIR=\"/usr/share\"   -g -O2 -MT
> lsusb-names.o -MD -MP -MF .deps/lsusb-names.Tpo -c -o lsusb-names.o
> `test -f 'names.c' || echo './'`names.c
> names.c: In function ‘names_init’:
> names.c:803: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast

Care to provide a patch for this?

thanks,

greg k-h

* Re: usbutils 0.82 release
@ 2009-05-08  6:40     ` Xiaofan Chen
From: Xiaofan Chen @ 2009-05-08  6:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg KH; +Cc: linux-usb, linux-kernel

On Fri, May 8, 2009 at 12:01 PM, Greg KH <greg@kroah.com> wrote:
> On Thu, May 07, 2009 at 07:51:23PM +0800, Xiaofan Chen wrote:
>> Not sure if this is a real problem or not. There is a compiler warning
>> for gcc 4.4.0.
>>
>> gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I.   -DDATADIR=\"/usr/share\"   -g -O2 -MT
>> lsusb-names.o -MD -MP -MF .deps/lsusb-names.Tpo -c -o lsusb-names.o
>> `test -f 'names.c' || echo './'`names.c
>> names.c: In function ‘names_init’:
>> names.c:803: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast
>
> Care to provide a patch for this?

To be honest, I do not know the reason of the warning. It looks fine to me
but I am not a real programmer.

In fact, I tried version 0.73 and there is no warning there and the file name.c
is the same between 0.73 and 0.81/0.82.

For 0.73:
[mcuee@myhost usbutils-0.73]$ make
make  all-am
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/mcuee/Desktop/build/usbutils/usbutils-0.73'
if gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.  -DUSBIDS_DIR='"/usr/local/share"'
-Wall -W -Wunused -g -O2 -MT lsusb.o -MD -MP -MF ".deps/lsusb.Tpo" -c
-o lsusb.o lsusb.c; \
	then mv -f ".deps/lsusb.Tpo" ".deps/lsusb.Po"; else rm -f
".deps/lsusb.Tpo"; exit 1; fi
lsusb.c: In function ‘do_wireless’:
lsusb.c:2648: warning: unused parameter ‘fd’
if gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.  -DUSBIDS_DIR='"/usr/local/share"'
-Wall -W -Wunused -g -O2 -MT names.o -MD -MP -MF ".deps/names.Tpo" -c
-o names.o names.c; \
	then mv -f ".deps/names.Tpo" ".deps/names.Po"; else rm -f
".deps/names.Tpo"; exit 1; fi
if gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.  -DUSBIDS_DIR='"/usr/local/share"'
-Wall -W -Wunused -g -O2 -MT devtree.o -MD -MP -MF ".deps/devtree.Tpo"
-c -o devtree.o devtree.c; \
	then mv -f ".deps/devtree.Tpo" ".deps/devtree.Po"; else rm -f
".deps/devtree.Tpo"; exit 1; fi
if gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.  -DUSBIDS_DIR='"/usr/local/share"'
-Wall -W -Wunused -g -O2 -MT usbmisc.o -MD -MP -MF ".deps/usbmisc.Tpo"
-c -o usbmisc.o usbmisc.c; \
	then mv -f ".deps/usbmisc.Tpo" ".deps/usbmisc.Po"; else rm -f
".deps/usbmisc.Tpo"; exit 1; fi
gcc -Wall -W -Wunused -g -O2   -o lsusb  lsusb.o names.o devtree.o
usbmisc.o  -lz -lusb
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/mcuee/Desktop/build/usbutils/usbutils-0.73'

--

@ 2009-05-08 12:24       ` Xiaofan Chen
From: Xiaofan Chen @ 2009-05-08 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg KH; +Cc: linux-usb, linux-kernel

On Fri, May 8, 2009 at 2:40 PM, Xiaofan Chen <xiaofanc@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, May 8, 2009 at 12:01 PM, Greg KH <greg@kroah.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, May 07, 2009 at 07:51:23PM +0800, Xiaofan Chen wrote:
>>> Not sure if this is a real problem or not. There is a compiler warning
>>> for gcc 4.4.0.
>>>
>>> gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I.   -DDATADIR=\"/usr/share\"   -g -O2 -MT
>>> lsusb-names.o -MD -MP -MF .deps/lsusb-names.Tpo -c -o lsusb-names.o
>>> `test -f 'names.c' || echo './'`names.c
>>> names.c: In function ‘names_init’:
>>> names.c:803: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast
>>
>> Care to provide a patch for this?
>
> To be honest, I do not know the reason of the warning. It looks fine to me
> but I am not a real programmer.
>
> In fact, I tried version 0.73 and there is no warning there and the file name.c
> is the same between 0.73 and 0.81/0.82.

I still do not know the exact reason but it seems to be related to the
generated config.h file or zlib.

If I use the file config.h from 0.73, there will be no warning. It is
longer than the one generated in 0.82 or git.

And if I undefine HAVE_LIBZ in names.c, there will be no warning.

The warning is not only in gcc 4.4.0, but also in gcc 4.3.3.

--

@ 2009-05-08 12:59         ` Xiaofan Chen
From: Xiaofan Chen @ 2009-05-08 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg KH; +Cc: linux-usb, linux-kernel

On Fri, May 8, 2009 at 8:24 PM, Xiaofan Chen <xiaofanc@gmail.com> wrote:
> I still do not know the exact reason but it seems to be related to the
> generated config.h file or zlib.
>
> If I use the file config.h from 0.73, there will be no warning. It is
> longer than the one generated in 0.82 or git.
>
> And if I undefine HAVE_LIBZ in names.c, there will be no warning.
>
> The warning is not only in gcc 4.4.0, but also in gcc 4.3.3.

I think the problem is in zlib. I got the warning under Ubuntu 9.04
(gcc 4.3.2 and zlib 1.2.3.3) and Arch Linux (gcc 4.4.0 and zlib 1.2.3.3).

zlib 1.2.3.3 in Ubuntu 9.04 and Arch Linux

typedef voidp gzFile;

/*
ZEXTERN gzFile ZEXPORT gzopen  OF((const char *path, const char *mode));

     Opens a gzip (.gz) file for reading or writing. The mode parameter
   is as in fopen ("rb" or "wb") but can also include a compression level
   ("wb9") or a strategy: 'f' for filtered data as in "wb6f", 'h' for
   Huffman only compression as in "wb1h", or 'R' for run-length encoding
   as in "wb1R". (See the description of deflateInit2 for more information
   about the strategy parameter.)

     gzopen can be used to read a file which is not in gzip format; in this
   case gzread will directly read from the file without decompression.

     gzopen returns NULL if the file could not be opened or if there was
   insufficient memory to allocate the (de)compression state; errno
   can be checked to distinguish the two cases (if errno is zero, the
   zlib error is Z_MEM_ERROR).  */

ZEXTERN gzFile ZEXPORT gzdopen  OF((int fd, const char *mode));
/*
     gzdopen() associates a gzFile with the file descriptor fd.  File
   descriptors are obtained from calls like open, dup, creat, pipe or
   fileno (in the file has been previously opened with fopen).
   The mode parameter is as in gzopen.
     The next call of gzclose on the returned gzFile will also close the
   file descriptor fd, just like fclose(fdopen(fd), mode) closes the file
   descriptor fd. If you want to keep fd open, use gzdopen(dup(fd), mode).
     gzdopen returns NULL if there was insufficient memory to allocate
   the (de)compression state.
*/

I got no warning under Fedora 10 (gcc 4.3.3 and zlib 1.2.3).

zlib 1.2.3 in Fedora 10. But this seems strange. It defines two version
of gzopen. The first one seems to be used so that no warning is caused.

@ 2009-05-08 15:22 ` Xiaofan Chen
From: Xiaofan Chen @ 2009-05-08 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg KH; +Cc: linux-usb, linux-kernel

On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 6:24 AM, Greg KH <greg@kroah.com> wrote:
> Here's the 0.82 release of usbutils.
>
> Many bugs with autoconf were resolved to hopefully make it easier for
> distros to find where the usb.ids file is dynamically.  Wireless USB
> device support was added, as well as other bugfixes.  The full shortlog
> is below.

By the way, the issue with "lsusb -t" has not been solved.

mcuee@ubuntu904:~/Desktop/build/usbutils/usbutils-0.82$ lsusb -t
2-2:1.0: No such file or directory
2-8:1.0: No such file or directory
/:  Bus 02.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=ohci_hcd/8p, 12M
    |__ Port 1: Dev 2, If 0, Class=stor., Driver=usb-storage, 12M
    |__ Port 2: Dev 3, If 0, Class=HID, Driver=, 12M
    |__ Port 4: Dev 4, If 0, Class=HID, Driver=usbhid, 1.5M
    |__ Port 5: Dev 5, If 0, Class=vend., Driver=ftdi_sio, 12M
    |__ Port 7: Dev 6, If 0, Class=HID, Driver=usbhid, 12M
    |__ Port 8: Dev 7, If 0, Class=vend., Driver=, 12M
/:  Bus 01.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=ehci_hcd/8p, 480M

--

@ 2009-05-09  4:55   ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2009-05-09  4:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xiaofan Chen; +Cc: linux-usb, linux-kernel

On Fri, May 08, 2009 at 11:22:43PM +0800, Xiaofan Chen wrote:
> On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 6:24 AM, Greg KH <greg@kroah.com> wrote:
> > Here's the 0.82 release of usbutils.
> >
> > Many bugs with autoconf were resolved to hopefully make it easier for
> > distros to find where the usb.ids file is dynamically.  Wireless USB
> > device support was added, as well as other bugfixes.  The full shortlog
> > is below.
>
> By the way, the issue with "lsusb -t" has not been solved.

Yes, it's an interm fix before I get the time to hook into libudev...

If anyone wants to provide patches to fix this before then, I'll gladly
take them :)

thanks,

greg k-h