* Re: realtime kernel for Debian
       [not found]             ` <49CF50D3.1080000@gmail.com>
@ 2009-03-29 18:28               ` Grammostola Rosea
From: Grammostola Rosea @ 2009-03-29 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Debian Developers; +Cc: pkg-multimedia-maintainers, rt-users

Grammostola Rosea wrote:
> Andreas Tille wrote:
>> On Sat, 28 Mar 2009, Cassiel wrote:
>>
>>> debian stable aims to production servers,
>>
>> That's wrong.  Debian stable aims at production systems.  If your
>> arguing would be true I wonder why stable contains applications like
>> Openoffice.org or audio players or  ...
>>
>>> IMO multimedia users can/should live with
>>> testing without any fear of system crashes and security updates.
>>
>> I guess there are multimedia users out there who care much about a
>> stable system, reproducible results and have to earn some money from
>> their work - so they do not want to deal with unforseable changes.
>> Please do not advertise testing as a release which is ready for
>> users.  (Yes, I admit I use testing in the way you describe - but
>> *I* know what I'm doing.)
>>

> But is not that big problem to install two kernels? One, the default
> Lenny kernel and an RT kernel from testing?

To get some progress here, I'm searching for a person who wants and is
capable in filing a wishlist bug (with a patch vs. the package linux-2.6

thanks in advance,

\r

* Re: realtime kernel for Debian
@ 2009-03-29 18:55                 ` Uwe Kleine-König
From: Uwe Kleine-König @ 2009-03-29 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Grammostola Rosea; +Cc: Debian Developers, pkg-multimedia-maintainers, rt-users

Hello,

>>> I guess there are multimedia users out there who care much about a
>>> stable system, reproducible results and have to earn some money from
>>> their work - so they do not want to deal with unforseable changes.
>>> Please do not advertise testing as a release which is ready for
>>> users.  (Yes, I admit I use testing in the way you describe - but
>>> *I* know what I'm doing.)
>>>

>> But is not that big problem to install two kernels? One, the default
>> Lenny kernel and an RT kernel from testing?
>>
> To get some progress here, I'm searching for a person who wants and is
> capable in filing a wishlist bug (with a patch vs. the package linux-2.6
Maybe providing a patch package is a better first step?

Best regards
Uwe

--
Pengutronix e.K.                              | Uwe Kleine-König            |
Industrial Linux Solutions                    | http://www.pengutronix.de/  |

* Re: realtime kernel for Debian
@ 2009-03-29 19:01                   ` Grammostola Rosea
From: Grammostola Rosea @ 2009-03-29 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: debian-devel; +Cc: Debian Developers, pkg-multimedia-maintainers, rt-users

Uwe Kleine-König wrote:
> Hello,

>>> But is not that big problem to install two kernels? One, the default
>>> Lenny kernel and an RT kernel from testing?
>>>

>> To get some progress here, I'm searching for a person who wants and is
>> capable in filing a wishlist bug (with a patch vs. the package linux-2.6
>>
> Maybe providing a patch package is a better first step?

thanks for thinking. Who could provide such a patch package?

\r

* Re: realtime kernel for Debian
@ 2009-03-29 19:56                     ` Uwe Kleine-König
       [not found]                       ` <49DF05B6.6000603@gmail.com>
From: Uwe Kleine-König @ 2009-03-29 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Grammostola Rosea; +Cc: Debian Developers, pkg-multimedia-maintainers, rt-users

Hello,

[your To: header was strange, maybe my mail reaches less recipents than
your's]

>>> To get some progress here, I'm searching for a person who wants and
>>> is  capable in filing a wishlist bug (with a patch vs. the package
>>> linux-2.6
>>>
>> Maybe providing a patch package is a better first step?
>>
> thanks for thinking. Who could provide such a patch package?
I can.  I'd need a sponsor, though.  I know two Debian developers, I
will ask them.

The patch on top of Debian's 2.6.29 is already made[1]---I just merged
v2.6.29-rt1 and Debian's tree.

Best regards
Uwe

[1] Available in my git repo at

	git://git.pengutronix.de/git/ukl/linux-2.6.git debian-rt

or browsable at:

	http://git.pengutronix.de/?p=ukl/linux-2.6.git;a=shortlog;h=debian-rt

The actual diff is at:

	http://git.pengutronix.de/?p=ukl/linux-2.6.git;a=commitdiff;h=debian-rt;hp=debian/v2.6.29

--

@ 2009-03-30  8:22                       ` Alexander Reichle-Schmehl
       [not found]                       ` <49DF05B6.6000603@gmail.com>
From: Alexander Reichle-Schmehl @ 2009-03-30  8:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Kleine-König
  Cc: Grammostola Rosea, Debian Developers, pkg-multimedia-maintainers,
	rt-users

Hi!

Uwe Kleine-König schrieb:

> [your To: header was strange, maybe my mail reaches less recipents than
> your's]

Well, at least it reached me ;)

>>> Maybe providing a patch package is a better first step?
>> thanks for thinking. Who could provide such a patch package?
> I can.  I'd need a sponsor, though.  I know two Debian developers, I
> will ask them.

Willing to sponsor as soon as you've got a package to test ready.

Best regards,
  Alexander

* Re: realtime kernel for Debian
@ 2009-03-30 15:13                         ` Uwe Kleine-König
From: Uwe Kleine-König @ 2009-03-30 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander Reichle-Schmehl
  Cc: Grammostola Rosea, Debian Developers, pkg-multimedia-maintainers,
	rt-users

Hi Alexander,

On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 10:22:02AM +0200, Alexander Reichle-Schmehl wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Uwe Kleine-König schrieb:
>
> > [your To: header was strange, maybe my mail reaches less recipents than
> > your's]
>
> Well, at least it reached me ;)

> >> thanks for thinking. Who could provide such a patch package?
> > I can.  I'd need a sponsor, though.  I know two Debian developers, I
> > will ask them.
>
> Willing to sponsor as soon as you've got a package to test ready.
Great thanks.  I plan to package rt-tests, too.  Maybe you can sponser
that, too?

Expect me to contact you via irc to go into details.

Best regards
Uwe

--

       [not found]                           ` <4A09CEBC.70207@gmail.com>
@ 2009-05-13  9:35                             ` Uwe Kleine-König
From: Uwe Kleine-König @ 2009-05-13  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Grammostola Rosea
  Cc: Debian Developers, pkg-multimedia-maintainers, linux-rt-users, 521893

Hi,

>>> I was wondering about how far are we with implementing a RT kernel in
>>>  Debian... Some progress here? Would be nice.
>>>
>> The patch I created that "fits" on Debian's vanilla kernel creates
>> conflicts on the sources with the Debian patches.
>> I hope to be able to clean that up by minimizing the -rt series (e.g.
>> the first broken out patch consists usually of various bits from the
>> -tip tree that are (AFAIK) not all needed.)
>>
>> So just have some more patience.
>>

> How are things going? Just interest...
Hhhm, well, I spottet a problem.  The thing is that linux-rt does many
deep changes in the kernel and I won't be able to support the harder
problems.  And upstream probably won't help because the Debian rt-kernel
isn't a vanilla rt-kernel.  Moreover even the broken out rt-patch isn't
nicely sorted (e.g. bisectable, some patches undo changes of other
patches earier in the series etc. pp), so I fear the Debian kernel team
isn't filled with enthusiasm when asked to add an rt variant.

I already thought about packaging debian-kernel + rt for Debian and
vanilla-kernel + rt for a non-Debian package repository such that it's
easy for bug reporters to try out a vanilla kernel.  But that still needs
more work.

I currently investigate how the Debian kernel packages are created.  Any
help is welcome.  Probably the first step will be to create a vanilla-rt
package, but that wont be accepted to go into Debian main.

Best regards
Uwe

--

@ 2009-06-04  9:28                               ` Grammostola Rosea
From: Grammostola Rosea @ 2009-06-04  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Kleine-König; +Cc: Debian Developers, linux-rt-users, 521893

Uwe Kleine-König wrote:
> Hi,

>>> The patch I created that "fits" on Debian's vanilla kernel creates
>>> conflicts on the sources with the Debian patches.
>>> I hope to be able to clean that up by minimizing the -rt series (e.g.
>>> the first broken out patch consists usually of various bits from the
>>> -tip tree that are (AFAIK) not all needed.)
>>>
>>> So just have some more patience.
>>>

>> How are things going? Just interest...
>>
> Hhhm, well, I spottet a problem.  The thing is that linux-rt does many
> deep changes in the kernel and I won't be able to support the harder
> problems.  And upstream probably won't help because the Debian rt-kernel
> isn't a vanilla rt-kernel.  Moreover even the broken out rt-patch isn't
> nicely sorted (e.g. bisectable, some patches undo changes of other
> patches earier in the series etc. pp), so I fear the Debian kernel team
> isn't filled with enthusiasm when asked to add an rt variant.
>
> I already thought about packaging debian-kernel + rt for Debian and
> vanilla-kernel + rt for a non-Debian package repository such that it's
> easy for bug reporters to try out a vanilla kernel.  But that still needs
> more work.
>
> I currently investigate how the Debian kernel packages are created.  Any
> help is welcome.  Probably the first step will be to create a vanilla-rt
> package, but that wont be accepted to go into Debian main.

Just trying to keep thinks a bit alive here ;)

How are things going Uwe?

Kind regards,

\r

* Re: realtime kernel for Debian
@ 2009-10-02 20:20                               ` Uwe Kleine-König
From: Uwe Kleine-König @ 2009-10-02 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Grammostola Rosea
  Cc: Debian Developers, pkg-multimedia-maintainers, linux-rt-users, 521893

Hello,

On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 11:35:17AM +0200, Uwe Kleine-König wrote:
> Hi,

> >> The patch I created that "fits" on Debian's vanilla kernel creates
> >> conflicts on the sources with the Debian patches.
> >> I hope to be able to clean that up by minimizing the -rt series (e.g.
> >> the first broken out patch consists usually of various bits from the
> >> -tip tree that are (AFAIK) not all needed.)
> >>
> >> So just have some more patience.
> >>

> > How are things going? Just interest...
> Hhhm, well, I spottet a problem.  The thing is that linux-rt does many
> deep changes in the kernel and I won't be able to support the harder
> problems.  And upstream probably won't help because the Debian rt-kernel
> isn't a vanilla rt-kernel.  Moreover even the broken out rt-patch isn't
> nicely sorted (e.g. bisectable, some patches undo changes of other
> patches earier in the series etc. pp), so I fear the Debian kernel team
> isn't filled with enthusiasm when asked to add an rt variant.
>
> I already thought about packaging debian-kernel + rt for Debian and
> vanilla-kernel + rt for a non-Debian package repository such that it's
> easy for bug reporters to try out a vanilla kernel.  But that still needs
> more work.
OK, the vanilla-kernel + rt is done.  See

	http://mid.gmane.org/20090926171218.GD13150@pengutronix.de

for an announcment and

	http://www.pengutronix.de/software/linux-rt/debian_en.html

for the documentation how to install it.

Best regards
Uwe

--

@ 2009-10-02 21:04                                 ` rosea grammostola
From: rosea grammostola @ 2009-10-02 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Kleine-König
  Cc: Debian Developers, pkg-multimedia-maintainers, linux-rt-users, 521893

Uwe Kleine-König wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 11:35:17AM +0200, Uwe Kleine-König wrote:
>
>> Hi,

>>> How are things going? Just interest...
>>>
>> Hhhm, well, I spottet a problem.  The thing is that linux-rt does many
>> deep changes in the kernel and I won't be able to support the harder
>> problems.  And upstream probably won't help because the Debian rt-kernel
>> isn't a vanilla rt-kernel.  Moreover even the broken out rt-patch isn't
>> nicely sorted (e.g. bisectable, some patches undo changes of other
>> patches earier in the series etc. pp), so I fear the Debian kernel team
>> isn't filled with enthusiasm when asked to add an rt variant.
>>
>> I already thought about packaging debian-kernel + rt for Debian and
>> vanilla-kernel + rt for a non-Debian package repository such that it's
>> easy for bug reporters to try out a vanilla kernel.  But that still needs
>> more work.
>>
> OK, the vanilla-kernel + rt is done.  See
>
> 	http://mid.gmane.org/20090926171218.GD13150@pengutronix.de
>
> for an announcment and
>
> 	http://www.pengutronix.de/software/linux-rt/debian_en.html
>
> for the documentation how to install it.
Looks like this is great news! Thanks for your time and effort Uwe!

\r