* N810: latest linux-omap-2.6.git master
@ 2009-05-09 22:45 Luke-Jr
From: Luke-Jr @ 2009-05-09 22:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-omap

Having trouble getting "2.6.30-rc4-omap1" to boot my US N810 (running Gentoo).
The initial problem appears to be related to /dev/mmcblk* missing, but I can't
debug it very far due to the second problem I encountered:
The keys "fghjvbnm" do not appear to work. I added debug info to print when
the keyboard FIFO is empty, and also when it has a valid mapping, but these
keys do not appear to be triggering the 'process_keys' function at all.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Luke

* Re: N810: latest linux-omap-2.6.git master
@ 2009-05-12  7:06 ` Jarkko Nikula
From: Jarkko Nikula @ 2009-05-12  7:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luke-Jr; +Cc: linux-omap

On Sat, 9 May 2009 17:45:00 -0500
"Luke-Jr" <luke@dashjr.org> wrote:

> Having trouble getting "2.6.30-rc4-omap1" to boot my US N810 (running
> Gentoo). The initial problem appears to be related to /dev/mmcblk*
> missing, but I can't debug it very far due to the second problem I

For me mmc is working. I'm booting through the modified initfs with
official major number 179 for /dev/mmcblk* device nodes.

> encountered: The keys "fghjvbnm" do not appear to work. I added debug
> info to print when the keyboard FIFO is empty, and also when it has a
> valid mapping, but these keys do not appear to be triggering the
> 'process_keys' function at all.

I see this problem as well. I think this wasn't here just couple weeks
ago after Tony's code reset to mainline patches but I'm not sure was
it still 2.6.29 when I last time used the keyboard.

--
Jarkko

* Re: N810: latest linux-omap-2.6.git master
@ 2009-05-12 23:18   ` Luke Dashjr
From: Luke Dashjr @ 2009-05-12 23:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jarkko Nikula; +Cc: linux-omap

On Tuesday 12 May 2009 02:06:58 am Jarkko Nikula wrote:
> On Sat, 9 May 2009 17:45:00 -0500
>
> "Luke-Jr" <luke@dashjr.org> wrote:
> > Having trouble getting "2.6.30-rc4-omap1" to boot my US N810 (running
> > Gentoo). The initial problem appears to be related to /dev/mmcblk*
> > missing, but I can't debug it very far due to the second problem I
>
> For me mmc is working. I'm booting through the modified initfs with
> official major number 179 for /dev/mmcblk* device nodes.

Modified initfs? Is there something needed beyond copying the filesystem's
modules?

@ 2009-05-13  9:12     ` Jarkko Nikula
From: Jarkko Nikula @ 2009-05-13  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luke Dashjr; +Cc: linux-omap

On Tue, 12 May 2009 18:18:13 -0500
Luke Dashjr <luke@dashjr.org> wrote:

> > For me mmc is working. I'm booting through the modified initfs with
> > official major number 179 for /dev/mmcblk* device nodes.
>
> Modified initfs? Is there something needed beyond copying the
> filesystem's modules?

Actually I'm not using modules from initfs at all nor updating them but
I have compiled the ext2 in so that initfs can mount the ext2 formatted
root from mmc (flasher --set-root-device=mmc).

This device node update to initfs is required since Maemo 2.6.21
kernel & initfs are using major number 254 for mmcblk whereas newer
kernels are using 179.

I basically copied initfs from running system or fiasco image, I don't
remember, modified it on desktop and then created new jffs2 image out
of it. That can be then flashed with "flasher -f -n initfs.jffs2".

I think it would be possible to boot modified initfs also from another
mmc partition so that initfs on NAND can be intact.

--
Jarkko

* Re: N810: latest linux-omap-2.6.git master
@ 2009-05-19  5:09       ` Luke-Jr
From: Luke-Jr @ 2009-05-19  5:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jarkko Nikula; +Cc: linux-omap

On Wednesday 13 May 2009 04:12:19 am Jarkko Nikula wrote:
> This device node update to initfs is required since Maemo 2.6.21
> kernel & initfs are using major number 254 for mmcblk whereas newer
> kernels are using 179.

Yes, that change seemed to get me booting... however, with "rc6", the keyboard
no longer works *at all*, and in neither rc4 nor rc6 does p54spi actually
work.

Tried setting up g_ether, but for some reason I couldn't get it to auto-
configure (via Gentoo's boot scripts) for rc6.

Is anyone actually trying to work on or maintain N8x0 support?

* Re: N810: latest linux-omap-2.6.git master
@ 2009-05-19  6:42         ` Jarkko Nikula
From: Jarkko Nikula @ 2009-05-19  6:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luke-Jr; +Cc: linux-omap

On Tue, 19 May 2009 00:09:20 -0500
"Luke-Jr" <luke@dashjr.org> wrote:

> Yes, that change seemed to get me booting... however, with "rc6", the
> keyboard no longer works *at all*, and in neither rc4 nor rc6 does
> p54spi actually work.

For me keyboard still works as partially (commit
0b2ce840c9fb58cf489bfdfc2d77f99a09a5dca3). I wonder what have caused it
to break during 2.6.30-rc since at quick look I don't point any special
from Tony's "Extra omap code in linux-omap tree" patches and patches
before those are from February?

git whatchanged arch/arm/mach-omap2/board-n800.c
git whatchanged drivers/input/keyboard/lm8323.c

> Tried setting up g_ether, but for some reason I couldn't get it to
> auto- configure (via Gentoo's boot scripts) for rc6.

For me it works but usually only if cable has been plugged in while
booting. Same with Beagle as well. Any idea from MUSB guys?

> Is anyone actually trying to work on or maintain N8x0 support?

I think N8x0 support is a little bit behind from other boards. Lot of
active development is going around on newer and more open platforms like
Beagle and not all patches are necessary tested on N8x0 (or other boards
too!). Of course active hacker base helps to point out breakages.

--
Jarkko

* Re: N810: latest linux-omap-2.6.git master
@ 2009-05-19 17:15           ` Tony Lindgren
From: Tony Lindgren @ 2009-05-19 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jarkko Nikula; +Cc: Luke-Jr, linux-omap

* Jarkko Nikula <jhnikula@gmail.com> [090518 23:41]:
> On Tue, 19 May 2009 00:09:20 -0500
> "Luke-Jr" <luke@dashjr.org> wrote:
>
> > Yes, that change seemed to get me booting... however, with "rc6", the
> > keyboard no longer works *at all*, and in neither rc4 nor rc6 does
> > p54spi actually work.
> >
> For me keyboard still works as partially (commit
> 0b2ce840c9fb58cf489bfdfc2d77f99a09a5dca3). I wonder what have caused it
> to break during 2.6.30-rc since at quick look I don't point any special
> from Tony's "Extra omap code in linux-omap tree" patches and patches
> before those are from February?
>
> git whatchanged arch/arm/mach-omap2/board-n800.c
> git whatchanged drivers/input/keyboard/lm8323.c

While waiting to get things in sync with mainline, something like this
might be handy too:

$ git diff omap-2.6.28..master -- arch/arm/mach-omap2/board-n800.c

> > Tried setting up g_ether, but for some reason I couldn't get it to
> > auto- configure (via Gentoo's boot scripts) for rc6.
> >
> For me it works but usually only if cable has been plugged in while
> booting. Same with Beagle as well. Any idea from MUSB guys?
>
> > Is anyone actually trying to work on or maintain N8x0 support?
>
> I think N8x0 support is a little bit behind from other boards. Lot of
> active development is going around on newer and more open platforms like
> Beagle and not all patches are necessary tested on N8x0 (or other boards
> too!). Of course active hacker base helps to point out breakages.

We should try to get the board-n8x0 stuff in shape for mainline maybe
the next merge window after this, anybody willing to spend some cycles
on preparing the patches against the mainline tree?

Tony

* Re: N810: latest linux-omap-2.6.git master
@ 2009-05-20 14:11             ` Kalle Valo
From: Kalle Valo @ 2009-05-20 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tony Lindgren; +Cc: Jarkko Nikula, Luke-Jr, linux-omap

Tony Lindgren <tony@atomide.com> writes:

>> > Is anyone actually trying to work on or maintain N8x0 support?
>>
>> I think N8x0 support is a little bit behind from other boards. Lot of
>> active development is going around on newer and more open platforms like
>> Beagle and not all patches are necessary tested on N8x0 (or other boards
>> too!). Of course active hacker base helps to point out breakages.
>
> We should try to get the board-n8x0 stuff in shape for mainline maybe
> the next merge window after this, anybody willing to spend some cycles
> on preparing the patches against the mainline tree?

So that's something like three months from now? Hmm. If someone else
doesn't volunteer I can try to spend some time on this. I would love to
see n800 and n810 supported in mainline.

But I cannot make any promises, though. It would be great if someone
else can step up.

--
Kalle Valo

* Re: N810: latest linux-omap-2.6.git master
@ 2009-05-20 15:13               ` Tony Lindgren
                                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Tony Lindgren @ 2009-05-20 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kalle Valo, ext-jani.1.nikula; +Cc: Jarkko Nikula, Luke-Jr, linux-omap

* Kalle Valo <kalle.valo@iki.fi> [090520 07:11]:

> >> I think N8x0 support is a little bit behind from other boards. Lot of
> >> active development is going around on newer and more open platforms like
> >> Beagle and not all patches are necessary tested on N8x0 (or other boards
> >> too!). Of course active hacker base helps to point out breakages.
> >
> > We should try to get the board-n8x0 stuff in shape for mainline maybe
> > the next merge window after this, anybody willing to spend some cycles
> > on preparing the patches against the mainline tree?
>
> So that's something like three months from now? Hmm. If someone else
> doesn't volunteer I can try to spend some time on this. I would love to
> see n800 and n810 supported in mainline.
>
> But I cannot make any promises, though. It would be great if someone
> else can step up.

OK, I can help a bit too. Here's what I have in mind we should do:

- Rename the board-*c files to board-n8x0-*.c. I can do this assuming
  people are OK with this.

- Get the gpio-switch replacement completed and into mainline.
  Jani, any news on that? There's a threaad about that at:
  http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/809866

- Stop using omap specific ATAGs and pass all the gpio etc info
  from platform_data. This should be easy with CONFIG_ATAGS_PROC
  that shows the passed ATAGs in /proc. I can work on this too.

- Get drivers/cbus into mainline. Kalle, do you want to do this?

I guess there's some other clean-up needed too that we can all
work once we have the initial patches working against the mainline.

Regards,

Tony

* Re: N810: latest linux-omap-2.6.git master
@ 2009-05-20 19:05                 ` Jarkko Nikula
From: Jarkko Nikula @ 2009-05-20 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tony Lindgren; +Cc: Kalle Valo, ext-jani.1.nikula, Luke-Jr, linux-omap

On Wed, 20 May 2009 08:13:02 -0700
Tony Lindgren <tony@atomide.com> wrote:

> OK, I can help a bit too. Here's what I have in mind we should do:

I can participate at least to testing if nothing else.

> - Get drivers/cbus into mainline. Kalle, do you want to do this?

I can be part of process how to remove drivers/cbus/retu-headset.c and
integrate that functionality with sound/soc/omap/n810.c.

--
Jarkko

* Re: N810: latest linux-omap-2.6.git master
@ 2009-05-20 19:11                 ` Kalle Valo
From: Kalle Valo @ 2009-05-20 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tony Lindgren; +Cc: ext-jani.1.nikula, Jarkko Nikula, Luke-Jr, linux-omap

Tony Lindgren <tony@atomide.com> writes:

> OK, I can help a bit too. Here's what I have in mind we should do:
>
> - Rename the board-*c files to board-n8x0-*.c. I can do this assuming
>   people are OK with this.
>
> - Get the gpio-switch replacement completed and into mainline.
>   Jani, any news on that? There's a threaad about that at:
>   http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/809866
>
> - Stop using omap specific ATAGs and pass all the gpio etc info
>   from platform_data. This should be easy with CONFIG_ATAGS_PROC
>   that shows the passed ATAGs in /proc. I can work on this too.
>
> - Get drivers/cbus into mainline. Kalle, do you want to do this?

Sure, I can work with cbus. I can't give any promises how long it will
take, so don't have your hopes up :)

> I guess there's some other clean-up needed too that we can all
> work once we have the initial patches working against the mainline.

Yes, I agree.

For reference, we discussed a bit about this last September:

http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-omap/msg05505.html

--
Kalle Valo

* Re: N810: latest linux-omap-2.6.git master
@ 2009-05-20 21:29                   ` Max Filippov
From: Max Filippov @ 2009-05-20 21:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jarkko Nikula
  Cc: Tony Lindgren, Kalle Valo, ext-jani.1.nikula, Luke-Jr, linux-omap

> Tony Lindgren <tony@atomide.com> wrote:
> > OK, I can help a bit too. Here's what I have in mind we should do:
>
> I can participate at least to testing if nothing else.

So am I. Testing and bughunting are what I can do best.
Or development of small comprehensible features.

Thanks.
-- Max

* Re: N810: latest linux-omap-2.6.git master
@ 2009-05-20 22:07         ` Max Filippov
From: Max Filippov @ 2009-05-20 22:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luke-Jr; +Cc: Jarkko Nikula, linux-omap

> Yes, that change seemed to get me booting... however, with "rc6", the
> keyboard no longer works *at all*, and in neither rc4 nor rc6 does p54spi
> actually work.

For p54spi to minimally work you need at least the following patches from
linux-wireless:

320abdf21a27e9f662f70d7726f56cd458343d3b
b4668d4eb59e0bc89059ba258c4aa278dcc3f872

For it to work good, all patches to drivers/net/wireless/p54 from linux-
wireless are required.

Thanks.
-- Max

* Re: N810: latest linux-omap-2.6.git master
@ 2009-05-23  3:41                 ` green
From: green @ 2009-05-23  3:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-omap