* ASoC: TWL4030 driver support multi channel playback
@ 2009-06-01 14:20 Naveen Krishna Ch
From: Naveen Krishna Ch @ 2009-06-01 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel; +Cc: Peter Ujfalusi

Hi Peter,

I am using linux 2.6.28 kernel,

there is a requirement to support multi (4) channel play back .

I guess TWL4030 ASoC driver now has full fledged support for both the
DAC1(TX1) and  DAC2(TX2) paths
in option 1 of codec operation.

I am looking forward to back port the ASoC stuff drivers from 2.6.30 rc7  to
2.6.28.

Is there any better way of meeting the requirement with out back porting the
stuff

Suggestions please.

Sorry for the english,,
--
Cheers
(: Naveen Krishna Ch :)

* Re: ASoC: TWL4030 driver support multi channel playback
@ 2009-06-02  5:16 ` Peter Ujfalusi
From: Peter Ujfalusi @ 2009-06-02  5:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ext Naveen Krishna Ch; +Cc: alsa-devel

Hello,

On Monday 01 June 2009 17:20:01 ext Naveen Krishna Ch wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> I am using linux 2.6.28 kernel,
>
> there is a requirement to support multi (4) channel play back .
>
> I guess TWL4030 ASoC driver now has full fledged support for both the
> DAC1(TX1) and  DAC2(TX2) paths in option 1 of codec operation.

Yes it does. It has support for TX1L/R, TX2L/R, RX1L/R and RX2L/R (four
channel playback and recording)

> I am looking forward to back port the ASoC stuff drivers from 2.6.30 rc7
> to 2.6.28.
>
> Is there any better way of meeting the requirement with out back porting
> the stuff

Well, I think this is not going to be an easy ride. It is not that hard, but
takes some time. I could think of two approaches to get the twl4030 codec work
backported (plus one):
1. Backport the the whole ASoC changes to 2.6.28
2. Backport the twl4030 codec driver with minimal amount of ASoC changes
3. Convince whoever you need to convince that you need to move to 2.6.30 ;)

1. Since ASoC has been dramatically changed since 2.6.28 this is not going to
be easy, but you will have the current ASoC features and it will be easier to
follow upstream.
2. Pick the changes to the twl4030 codec one-by-one apply it, compile the
result, if it breaks, take the needed patches to fix the errors. Fair amunt of
work, but you will end up a working twl4030 codec, but you need to backport
the new patches from upstream every time..
3. This only exist in the ideal world.

In overall, I think your best bet is 1) You can take the 2) if you really know
what you are doing...

--
Péter

* Re: ASoC: TWL4030 driver support multi channel playback
@ 2009-06-02  5:33   ` Naveen Krishna Ch
From: Naveen Krishna Ch @ 2009-06-02  5:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Ujfalusi; +Cc: alsa-devel

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your quick reply,
I have an issue, probably the last one.

2009/6/2 Peter Ujfalusi <peter.ujfalusi@nokia.com>

> Hello,

> On Monday 01 June 2009 17:20:01 ext Naveen Krishna Ch wrote:
> > Hi Peter,
> >
> > I am using linux 2.6.28 kernel,
> >
> > there is a requirement to support multi (4) channel play back .
> >
> > I guess TWL4030 ASoC driver now has full fledged support for both the
> > DAC1(TX1) and  DAC2(TX2) paths in option 1 of codec operation.
>
> Yes it does. It has support for TX1L/R, TX2L/R, RX1L/R and RX2L/R (four
> channel playback and recording)
>

> > I am looking forward to back port the ASoC stuff drivers from 2.6.30 rc7
> > to 2.6.28.
> >
> > Is there any better way of meeting the requirement with out back porting
> > the stuff
>
> Well, I think this is not going to be an easy ride. It is not that hard,
> but
> takes some time. I could think of two approaches to get the twl4030 codec
> work
> backported (plus one):
> 1. Backport the the whole ASoC changes to 2.6.28
> 2. Backport the twl4030 codec driver with minimal amount of ASoC changes

I tried this last night,  i was able to boot the board...
Except the following thing

Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.18rc3.
No device for DAI twl4030
No device for DAI twl4030 Voice
No device for DAI omap-mcbsp-dai-0
No device for DAI omap-mcbsp-dai-1
No device for DAI omap-mcbsp-dai-2
No device for DAI omap-mcbsp-dai-3
No device for DAI omap-mcbsp-dai-4
omap3apple SoC init
ALSA device list:
  No soundcards found.

I tried to fix this, it seems like a dev structure is missing during the
codec registration.
Can u help me find where i went wrong..

> 3. Convince whoever you need to convince that you need to move to 2.6.30 ;)

There is some powermanagment issue which restricting us to move forward to

--

@ 2009-06-02  6:04     ` Peter Ujfalusi
From: Peter Ujfalusi @ 2009-06-02  6:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ext Naveen Krishna Ch; +Cc: alsa-devel

On Tuesday 02 June 2009 08:33:59 ext Naveen Krishna Ch wrote:
> 2. Backport the twl4030 codec driver with minimal amount of ASoC changes
> I tried this last night,  i was able to boot the board...
> Except the following thing
>
> Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.18rc3.
> No device for DAI twl4030
> No device for DAI twl4030 Voice
> No device for DAI omap-mcbsp-dai-0
> No device for DAI omap-mcbsp-dai-1
> No device for DAI omap-mcbsp-dai-2
> No device for DAI omap-mcbsp-dai-3
> No device for DAI omap-mcbsp-dai-4
> omap3apple SoC init
> ALSA device list:
>   No soundcards found.
>
> I tried to fix this, it seems like a dev structure is missing during the
> codec registration. Can u help me find where i went wrong..

To resolve this you need to backport the changes in sound/soc/omap-* also and
probably take a look at arch/arm/plat-omap/mcbsp.c as well.

--
Péter

* Re: ASoC: TWL4030 driver support multi channel playback
@ 2009-06-02  9:37   ` Mark Brown
       [not found]     ` <ef0d8a250906020254w3ecc60d2w7c196765e48eab25@mail.gmail.com>
From: Mark Brown @ 2009-06-02  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Ujfalusi; +Cc: ext Naveen Krishna Ch, alsa-devel

On Tue, Jun 02, 2009 at 08:16:41AM +0300, Peter Ujfalusi wrote:

> Well, I think this is not going to be an easy ride. It is not that hard, but
> takes some time. I could think of two approaches to get the twl4030 codec work
> backported (plus one):
> 1. Backport the the whole ASoC changes to 2.6.28
> 2. Backport the twl4030 codec driver with minimal amount of ASoC changes
> 3. Convince whoever you need to convince that you need to move to 2.6.30 ;)
>
> 1. Since ASoC has been dramatically changed since 2.6.28 this is not going to
> be easy, but you will have the current ASoC features and it will be easier to
> follow upstream.

I'd recommend just backporting ASoC in its entirety - it is relatively
well insulated against changes in the rest of the kernel other that any
arch code the machine drivers rely on so this process normally goes
fairly smoothly.  It's much easier than trying a partial backport.

* Re: ASoC: TWL4030 driver support multi channel playback
       [not found]       ` <20090602095845.GA20046@rakim.wolfsonmicro.main>
@ 2009-06-02 10:02         ` Naveen Krishna Ch
From: Naveen Krishna Ch @ 2009-06-02 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel; +Cc: Mark Brown

2009/6/2 Mark Brown <broonie@opensource.wolfsonmicro.com>

> On Tue, Jun 02, 2009 at 03:24:11PM +0530, Naveen Krishna Ch wrote:
>
> > I am done with the entire back porting of ASoC.
> >
> > I can see the dapm widgets getting ON/OFF and codec registers being
> changed.
> >
> > But, there is no audio out.  Am i missing somthing
> >
> > A direct aplay should play the audio on the headset, right?
>
> I am not familiar with the TWL4030, you should ask these questions on
> the list.

I hit reply (Instead of replyall) Sorry,

>  As a first step I would check that there is data being
> transferred over the digital link to the CODEC, then look at the
> audio routing to ensure that the signal is routed to the output.

Thanks for suggestions..

--

@ 2009-06-02 10:25           ` Peter Ujfalusi
From: Peter Ujfalusi @ 2009-06-02 10:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel; +Cc: ext Naveen Krishna Ch, Mark Brown

On Tuesday 02 June 2009 13:02:38 ext Naveen Krishna Ch wrote:
> 2009/6/2 Mark Brown <broonie@opensource.wolfsonmicro.com>
>
> > On Tue, Jun 02, 2009 at 03:24:11PM +0530, Naveen Krishna Ch wrote:
> > > I am done with the entire back porting of ASoC.
> > >
> > > I can see the dapm widgets getting ON/OFF and codec registers being
> >
> > changed.
> >
> > > But, there is no audio out.  Am i missing somthing
> > >
> > > A direct aplay should play the audio on the headset, right?

By default the headset outputs should work (AudioL2 and AudioR2 is routed to
the output).
Try with the following:
aplay -f dat /dev/urandom
If there is no noise, than from another terminal try to play with the alsa
mixers...

> >  As a first step I would check that there is data being
> > transferred over the digital link to the CODEC, then look at the
> > audio routing to ensure that the signal is routed to the output.
>
> Thanks for suggestions..

If aplay exits with timeout, than it means that the clocks are not running.
You can check the HW/SW pointers if they are moving while the playback is
running:
cat /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/sub0/status

--
Péter