* video loopback device
@ 2009-06-02 22:02 Stefano Sabatini
From: Stefano Sabatini @ 2009-06-02 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

I'm looking for an application/driver which let to create a
virtual device where to send the video output of an application or of
another video device.

Typical application would be for example to capture from a webcam,
apply some filter to it, and finally pulish it to another application
reading from a video device.

I see there are at least three distinct projects which provides a
video for loopback device:

* video4linux loopback device/vloopback:
  http://www.lavrsen.dk/twiki/bin/view/Motion/VideoFourLinuxLoopbackDevice

  Seems to be unmaintained, also if I'm not wrong it only supports
  video4linux and not video4linux 2 API.

* video4linux2 virtual device
  http://sourceforge.net/projects/v4l2vd/

  This should be the successor of vloopback, unfortunately it seem not
  to work with linux 2.6.26:
  https://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thread_id=2897804&forum_id=579262

  and also seems a little unmaintained.

* http://code.google.com/p/v4l2loopback/

  I don't know if there are applications using it, just read about it
  in this ML.

I wonder if someone can express an opinion on these projects, for
example to tell their current status / usability.

TIA, regards.

* Re: video loopback device
@ 2009-07-03  1:05 ` vasaka
From: vasaka @ 2009-07-03  1:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 1:02 AM, Stefano
Sabatini<stefano.sabatini-lala@poste.it> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking for an application/driver which let to create a
> virtual device where to send the video output of an application or of
> another video device.
>
> Typical application would be for example to capture from a webcam,
> apply some filter to it, and finally pulish it to another application
> reading from a video device.
>
> I see there are at least three distinct projects which provides a
> video for loopback device:
>
> * video4linux loopback device/vloopback:
>  http://www.lavrsen.dk/twiki/bin/view/Motion/VideoFourLinuxLoopbackDevice
>
>  Seems to be unmaintained, also if I'm not wrong it only supports
>  video4linux and not video4linux 2 API.
>
> * video4linux2 virtual device
>  http://sourceforge.net/projects/v4l2vd/
>
>  This should be the successor of vloopback, unfortunately it seem not
>  to work with linux 2.6.26:
>  https://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thread_id=2897804&forum_id=579262
>
>  and also seems a little unmaintained.
>
> * http://code.google.com/p/v4l2loopback/
>
>  I don't know if there are applications using it, just read about it
>  in this ML.
>
> I wonder if someone can express an opinion on these projects, for
> example to tell their current status / usability.
>
> TIA, regards.

Hello, I am an author of http://code.google.com/p/v4l2loopback/
this driver works with kernels up to 2.6.30 and I also written small
helper program to apply video effects
http://code.google.com/p/v4lsink/

It works fine with skype and there is bug report about interaction
with adobe flash. I started this driver exactly because all others did
not work with skype.

by the way, this mailing list is no longer used, please go to
linux-media@vger.kernel.org mailing list

vasaka

* Re: video loopback device
@ 2010-10-15  2:19   ` Esben Stien
From: Esben Stien @ 2010-10-15  2:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

vasaka@gmail.com writes:

> I am an author of http://code.google.com/p/v4l2loopback/

Does this work with recent kernels?. It hasn't been touched for over a
year. Do you intend to maintain this?.

I find it strange that there aren't more cries for such an
application. There are so many v4l2 applications and we all want them to
be gstreamer apps or JACK VIDEO apps, but a bridge to be able to feed
v4l2 applications from gstreamer is so useful.

--
Esben Stien is b0ef@e     s      a
         http://www. s     t    n m