* Building a 32 bit on a 64 bit machine.
@ 2009-06-05 13:31 Kevin Wilson
From: Kevin Wilson @ 2009-06-05 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kbuild

Hello,
I want to build a module I developed for 32 bit on a 64 bit machine.
It is on a machine running Fedora.

I tried to install the kernel-devel of the 32 bit, and to build my module
agains that tree, with Make ARCH=i686. But I get error saying:
`-mcpu=' is deprecated. Use `-mtune=' or '-march=' instead.

error: CPU you selected does not support x86-64 instruction set

Any ideas? is it possible ?

I had success with building this module against other 64 bit kernels
using this method
(installing kernel-devel and building against it).

I appreciate if anybody can some link for some howto.

Rgs,
Kevin

* Re: Building a 32 bit on a 64 bit machine.
@ 2009-06-06  5:18 ` Karen Shaeffer
From: Karen Shaeffer @ 2009-06-06  5:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kevin Wilson; +Cc: linux-kbuild

On Fri, Jun 05, 2009 at 04:31:50PM +0300, Kevin Wilson wrote:
> Hello,
> I want to build a module I developed for 32 bit on a 64 bit machine.
> It is on a machine running Fedora.
>
> Rgs,
> Kevin

Hi Kevin,
You need a cross compile tool chain. You can learn about that
here:
http://cross-lfs.org/view/1.1.0/x86_64/introduction/chapter.html

You'll also need to port your module to 64 bits.

Good luck with it,
Karen
--
 Karen Shaeffer
 Neuralscape, Palo Alto, Ca. 94306

* Re: Building a 32 bit on a 64 bit machine.
@ 2009-06-06  5:40   ` Kevin Wilson
From: Kevin Wilson @ 2009-06-06  5:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karen Shaeffer; +Cc: linux-kbuild

Hello,
   I know that using cross compiler is needed when you want to compile
for different platforms (for example, to build a module for ARM or PPC on intel
machine).
I did not mention it, but the machine I am building on is an Intel
x86_64 machine, and I want to build on it a 32 bit module - also for
Intel machine.
So I believe there should be a way to do it with some gcc flag.

Any ideas ?

Rgs,
Kevin

@ 2009-06-06  6:06     ` Sam Ravnborg
From: Sam Ravnborg @ 2009-06-06  6:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kevin Wilson; +Cc: Karen Shaeffer, linux-kbuild

On Sat, Jun 06, 2009 at 08:40:39AM +0300, Kevin Wilson wrote:
> Hello,
>    I know that using cross compiler is needed when you want to compile
> for different platforms (for example, to build a module for ARM or PPC on intel
> machine).
> I did not mention it, but the machine I am building on is an Intel
> x86_64 machine, and I want to build on it a 32 bit module - also for
> Intel machine.
> So I believe there should be a way to do it with some gcc flag.
>
> Any ideas ?

Your gcc only support 64-bit.
So you need a cross compiler to build 32 bit x86.

	Sam