* Btrfs rescue images
@ 2009-06-16  0:53 Chris Mason
From: Chris Mason @ 2009-06-16  0:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel, linux-btrfs, Linus Torvalds

Hello everyone,

As Linus discovered, the new btrfs disk format in 2.6.31-git can be
problematic if your FS gets forward rolled to the new format and you end
up bisecting back to the old code.

It would also be nice to have a way to run btrfsck on a root filesystem
and do other assorted tasks.  So, I'm making live boot usb images for
both x86 and x86-64.

They should have enough to get your filesystems mounted and they also
include git, gcc, make and enough to compile the kernel.  These are
based on the Arch 2.6.30 distro with just the btrfs newformat code
added.

I've got the 32 bit image uploaded, and I'll queue up 64 bit overnight.
If anyone is feeling brave, just dd the image onto a usb stick and
rescue boot away.

They work on both of my test boxes, but a little extra testing would be
nice.

-chris

* Re: Btrfs rescue images
@ 2009-06-16  1:02 ` Chris Mason
From: Chris Mason @ 2009-06-16  1:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel, linux-btrfs, Linus Torvalds

On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 08:53:19PM -0400, Chris Mason wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> As Linus discovered, the new btrfs disk format in 2.6.31-git can be
> problematic if your FS gets forward rolled to the new format and you end
> up bisecting back to the old code.
>
> It would also be nice to have a way to run btrfsck on a root filesystem
> and do other assorted tasks.  So, I'm making live boot usb images for
> both x86 and x86-64.
>
> They should have enough to get your filesystems mounted and they also
> include git, gcc, make and enough to compile the kernel.  These are
> based on the Arch 2.6.30 distro with just the btrfs newformat code
> added.
>
> I've got the 32 bit image uploaded, and I'll queue up 64 bit overnight.
> If anyone is feeling brave, just dd the image onto a usb stick and
> rescue boot away.
>
> They work on both of my test boxes, but a little extra testing would be
> nice.

Well, I had the link in my paste buffer, but it helps to actually paste
it.

http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/mason/btrfs-boot-images/

-chris

* Re: Btrfs rescue images
@ 2009-06-16 11:52   ` Chris Mason
From: Chris Mason @ 2009-06-16 11:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel, linux-btrfs, Linus Torvalds

On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 09:02:01PM -0400, Chris Mason wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 08:53:19PM -0400, Chris Mason wrote:
> > I've got the 32 bit image uploaded, and I'll queue up 64 bit overnight.
> > If anyone is feeling brave, just dd the image onto a usb stick and
> > rescue boot away.
> >
> > They work on both of my test boxes, but a little extra testing would be
> > nice.
>
> Well, I had the link in my paste buffer, but it helps to actually paste
> it.
>
> http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/mason/btrfs-boot-images/

Ok, I've the x86-64 upload is complete too.  Just a note these are not
isos, but meant to be directly dd'd onto a usb stick.

-chris