* Hibernate broke?
@ 2009-06-17  4:19 Warren Togami
       [not found] ` <4A386ECD.1070906-H+wXaHxf7aLQT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org>
From: Warren Togami @ 2009-06-17  4:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: initramfs

I noticed today that hibernation is broken for dracut generated images.
  Fedora 11 mkinitrd generated initrd works just fine for me, but the
dracut generated image of the same kernel is failing to resume.

My system has root and swap both within an encrypted LVM vg.

My understanding is that if you hibernate, it somehow writes something
recongnized by grub upon the next boot so it knows to boot the same
kernel & initrd with additional cmdline parameters to resume.

When I hibernate from the mkinitrd initrd, the system shuts down.  When
I boot again, grub immediately jumps into that kernel bypassing the grub
menu, asks for my passphrase to decrypt, then reads the frozen system
from swap and resumes.

When I hiberate from a dracut initrd, the system shuts down.  When I
boot up again, it goes to the full grub menu and seems unaware that it
had hibernated.

Any idea what is going on here?  Did this ever work with dracut before?

Warren Togami
wtogami-H+wXaHxf7aLQT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org

* Re: Hibernate broke?
       [not found] ` <4A386ECD.1070906-H+wXaHxf7aLQT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org>
@ 2009-06-17 11:20   ` Harald Hoyer
       [not found]     ` <4A38D168.6080909-H+wXaHxf7aLQT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org>
From: Harald Hoyer @ 2009-06-17 11:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Warren Togami; +Cc: initramfs

On 06/17/2009 06:19 AM, Warren Togami wrote:
> I noticed today that hibernation is broken for dracut generated images.
> Fedora 11 mkinitrd generated initrd works just fine for me, but the
> dracut generated image of the same kernel is failing to resume.
>
> My system has root and swap both within an encrypted LVM vg.
>
> My understanding is that if you hibernate, it somehow writes something
> recongnized by grub upon the next boot so it knows to boot the same
> kernel & initrd with additional cmdline parameters to resume.
>
> When I hibernate from the mkinitrd initrd, the system shuts down. When I
> boot again, grub immediately jumps into that kernel bypassing the grub
> menu, asks for my passphrase to decrypt, then reads the frozen system
> from swap and resumes.
>
> When I hiberate from a dracut initrd, the system shuts down. When I boot
> up again, it goes to the full grub menu and seems unaware that it had
> hibernated.
>
> Any idea what is going on here? Did this ever work with dracut before?

you could try to just overwrite the mkinitrd generated image and see, if that
gets booted

* Re: Hibernate broke?
       [not found] ` <4A386ECD.1070906-H+wXaHxf7aLQT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org>
@ 2009-06-17 13:37   ` Jeremy Katz
       [not found]     ` <20090617133706.GC85083-H+wXaHxf7aLQT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org>
From: Jeremy Katz @ 2009-06-17 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: initramfs

On Wednesday, June 17 2009, Warren Togami said:
> My understanding is that if you hibernate, it somehow writes something
> recongnized by grub upon the next boot so it knows to boot the same
> kernel & initrd with additional cmdline parameters to resume.

Not entirely true -- on hibernate, we do a grub bootonce to force you
back into the same kernel you're already booted into.  The initrd then
as one of its first steps looks at the swap partition (... which in the
Fedora case, is specified as part of the initramfs with support for an
override in /proc/cmdline) and if its a swsusp partition, we resume from it.

> Any idea what is going on here?  Did this ever work with dracut before?

Unless someone added it when I wasn't looking, no one has added the
support to dracut for the resume bits

Jeremy

* Re: Hibernate broke?
       [not found]     ` <20090617133706.GC85083-H+wXaHxf7aLQT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org>
@ 2009-06-17 14:22       ` Victor Lowther
From: Victor Lowther @ 2009-06-17 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeremy Katz; +Cc: initramfs

On Jun 17, 2009, at 8:37 AM, Jeremy Katz <katzj-H+wXaHxf7aLQT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org> wrote:

> On Wednesday, June 17 2009, Warren Togami said:
>> My understanding is that if you hibernate, it somehow writes
>> something
>> recongnized by grub upon the next boot so it knows to boot the same
>> kernel & initrd with additional cmdline parameters to resume.
>
> Not entirely true -- on hibernate, we do a grub bootonce to force you
> back into the same kernel you're already booted into.  The initrd then
> as one of its first steps looks at the swap partition (... which in
> the
> Fedora case, is specified as part of the initramfs with support for an
> override in /proc/cmdline) and if its a swsusp partition, we resume
> from it.

Dracut just looks for the resume= parameter, and writes a udev rule
that fires when the device is found if the parameter was on the
commandline.

>> Any idea what is going on here?  Did this ever work with dracut
>> before?
>
> Unless someone added it when I wasn't looking, no one has added the
> support to dracut for the resume bits

I did way back in the day as a mount hook. I have not tested it since
it was turned into a dynamically generated udev rule.

> Jeremy

* Re: Hibernate broke?
       [not found]     ` <4A38D168.6080909-H+wXaHxf7aLQT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org>
@ 2009-06-17 15:11       ` Warren Togami
From: Warren Togami @ 2009-06-17 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: initramfs

On 06/17/2009 07:20 AM, Harald Hoyer wrote:

>> Any idea what is going on here? Did this ever work with dracut before?
>

> you could try to just overwrite the mkinitrd generated image and see, if
> that gets booted

Tried that.  It grub failed to jump directly into it during next boot.
I'm not sure what is missing here.

Warren