* [B.A.T.M.A.N.] opkg doesn't rmmod
@ 2009-06-18 18:42 Jacob Marble
From: Jacob Marble @ 2009-06-18 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The list for a Better Approach To Mobile Ad-hoc Networking

Using OpenWrt SVN and batman-advanced SVN (yay!).

When I "opkg remove kmod-batman-adv-kernelland", the kernel module
stays loaded, so when I "opkg install kmod-batman-adv-[newer version]"
the old module stays loaded.  A simple rmmod gets rid of the old
module.

There is a script in the openwrt SVN called postinst that inserts the
module after install.  Very convenient.  A similar script could be
added, called prerm, that would remove the module before removing the
ipk.  There are several ways to rmmod; "rmmod -f batman-adv" might be
best for removing the package.

When I create the file in my build_dir, make just deletes it, so I
leave this up to someone else (Marek?).

Jake

--
Jacob Marble
435 760 4321

* Re: [B.A.T.M.A.N.] opkg doesn't rmmod
@ 2009-06-19 11:50 ` Marek Lindner
From: Marek Lindner @ 2009-06-19 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The list for a Better Approach To Mobile Ad-hoc Networking

On Friday 19 June 2009 02:42:54 Jacob Marble wrote:
> When I "opkg remove kmod-batman-adv-kernelland", the kernel module
> stays loaded, so when I "opkg install kmod-batman-adv-[newer version]"
> the old module stays loaded.  A simple rmmod gets rid of the old
> module.

I thought of that more as a feature as it allows over the mesh updates. If I
the module gets removed while running an update over the mesh you might render
your node unusable. On the other hand you can reboot the node after the update
was completed to have a consistent system.

> There is a script in the openwrt SVN called postinst that inserts the
> module after install.  Very convenient.  A similar script could be
> added, called prerm, that would remove the module before removing the
> ipk.  There are several ways to rmmod; "rmmod -f batman-adv" might be
> best for removing the package.
>
> When I create the file in my build_dir, make just deletes it, so I
> leave this up to someone else (Marek?).

You have to place the script into the corresponding package folder (batman-adv
in this case) to avoid deletion. For OpenWRT the package directory is the
source (nothing will be deleted there) and build_dir is the build path.

If you agree to the point mentioned above I still could add your script but
keep it deactivated, so that other people can find it. May be someone has an
idea how to keep everyone happy.  :-)

Regards,
Marek

* Re: [B.A.T.M.A.N.] opkg doesn't rmmod
@ 2009-06-19 16:05   ` Jacob Marble
From: Jacob Marble @ 2009-06-19 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The list for a Better Approach To Mobile Ad-hoc Networking

On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 5:50 AM, Marek Lindner<lindner_marek@yahoo.de> wrote:
> On Friday 19 June 2009 02:42:54 Jacob Marble wrote:
>> When I "opkg remove kmod-batman-adv-kernelland", the kernel module
>> stays loaded, so when I "opkg install kmod-batman-adv-[newer version]"
>> the old module stays loaded.  A simple rmmod gets rid of the old
>> module.
>
> I thought of that more as a feature as it allows over the mesh updates. If I
> the module gets removed while running an update over the mesh you might render
> your node unusable. On the other hand you can reboot the node after the update
> was completed to have a consistent system.

Hmm, you're right there.  Too bad there isn't a way to "opkg remove X
--preserve-loaded-modules"