* ALSA porting to h/w having kernel version 2.6.18.5
@ 2009-07-17 14:49 Rakesh Kumar
From: Rakesh Kumar @ 2009-07-17 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

Hi

I am new to ALSA and going to start porting of ALSA driver on out H/W box which is having 2.6.18.5 kernel (ARM), soc scenario. ALSA version supported on 2.6.18.5 is 1.0.12.

I have following questions:

1. Shall I go ahead with ALSA 1.0.12 (which is already part of my kernel)?

2. or shall I download latest ALSA version 1.0.20?

I can go with either with 1.0.12 or 1.0.20 versions, I want to know what is general trend followed in this scenario.

I tried building my kernel with latest ALSA (as a part of kernel) but facing some compilation errors.

Thanks

Regards,

Rakesh

Stay updated! Add Facebook, LinkedIn, MySpace & Hi5  friends to your Windows Live network instantly. Add Now!
http://profile.live.com/webactivities/?mkt=en-in

* Re: ALSA porting to h/w having kernel version 2.6.18.5
@ 2009-07-17 15:00 ` Mark Brown
From: Mark Brown @ 2009-07-17 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rakesh Kumar; +Cc: alsa-devel

On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 08:19:01PM +0530, Rakesh Kumar wrote:

> I have following questions:

> 1. Shall I go ahead with ALSA 1.0.12 (which is already part of my kernel)?

> 2. or shall I download latest ALSA version 1.0.20?

I would recommend going with the most current ALSA version you can since
ASoC, the subsystem normally used for handling audio on embedded
platforms, is not present in 2.6.18.

> I tried building my kernel with latest ALSA (as a part of kernel) but
> facing some compilation errors.

It is likely that you will have to do some backporting, there have been
many changes in the kernel since 2.6.18 was released and ALSA will have
been updated for them.

It would be worth looking at moving forward to a more current kernel
version 2.6.18 is almost three years old and you are much more likely to
be able to obtain help from the community with a more current kernel
version.