* some RRECOMMENDed packages do not get included into the image
@ 2009-08-02 10:11 Klaus 'mrmoku' Kurzmann
From: Klaus 'mrmoku' Kurzmann @ 2009-08-02 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

Hello all,

I have problems building correct SHR images since some time now. Don't know
when this started exactly, but it might have been around the bitbake switch
from svn to git...

The problem is, that a whole bunch of packages does not get installed into the
image. As far as I can see all the packages are either RRECOMMENDS or
RDEPENDS. This was working fine.

Anybody got some idea where to look at to debug it or is experiencing the
same?

Thanks
--

Klaus 'mrmoku' Kurzmann

* Re: some RRECOMMENDed packages do not get included into the image
@ 2009-08-02 10:32 ` Nicola Mfb
From: Nicola Mfb @ 2009-08-02 10:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

On Sun, Aug 2, 2009 at 12:11 PM, Klaus 'mrmoku'
Kurzmann<mok@mnet-online.de> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have problems building correct SHR images since some time now. Don't know
> when this started exactly, but it might have been around the bitbake switch
> from svn to git...
>
> The problem is, that a whole bunch of packages does not get installed into the
> image. As far as I can see all the packages are either RRECOMMENDS or
> RDEPENDS. This was working fine.
>
> Anybody got some idea where to look at to debug it or is experiencing the
> same?

I'm experiencing some shr build problems too, but do not know if these
are related or were born from my changes or my gentoo unstable build
host.
For example, in /etc/init.d/ rcS is missing (it should belong to
sysvinit package), and the kernel is not installed in /boot, nor
modules in /lib, but the last may be as I changed the preferred
provider to linux-openmoko to try 2.6.30.1.

P.s. at first try I used the master branch of bitbake but had problems
building qt 4.5.2 (too many loop links), after I switched to 1.8
branch and the build was fine, is the 1.8 branch the right one?

Regards

    Nicola

* Re: some RRECOMMENDed packages do not get included into the image
@ 2009-08-02 10:50 ` Stefan Buschmann
From: Stefan Buschmann @ 2009-08-02 10:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

Hi,

I'm experiencing problems with current SHR images as well. In my case,
everything gets built and the image is created successfully, but when I
boot into the system on my device, I get a few error messages like "no
sound device" for alsa, "no network card" etc., and the X server fails
to start. However the fso-daemons etc. seem to be working, or at least
starting, correctly.

I haven't been able to understand what is going wrong here, as I'm still
starting to learn how the whole openembedded/bitbake system works. I
turned on logging in the hope that I would find out why e.g. the
X-server is not starting, but found no helpful error messages in the
logs. I first thought it was a fault in my build system, but than I
started completely from scratch with the SHR-Makefile, and got the same
non-working image in the end. So, any tips on how to debug this?

Currently I'm working on the fso/milestone5.5 branch again, as this
still results in a working image. But I know that this is going to be
abandoned, soon...

Bye,

Stefan

* Re: some RRECOMMENDed packages do not get included into the image
@ 2009-08-02 11:04   ` Klaus 'mrmoku' Kurzmann
From: Klaus 'mrmoku' Kurzmann @ 2009-08-02 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

Am Sonntag 02 August 2009 12:50:55 schrieb Stefan Buschmann:
> I'm experiencing problems with current SHR images as well. In my case,
> everything gets built and the image is created successfully, but when I
> boot into the system on my device, I get a few error messages like "no
> sound device" for alsa, "no network card" etc., and the X server fails
> to start. However the fso-daemons etc. seem to be working, or at least
> starting, correctly.
yeah, thats exactly what happens to me too.

I just gave the 1.8-parser-rework a shot and it looks like it builds correct
images with all needed stuff included. Did not boot it yet, but I checked that
the missing packages are included.

Is 1.8-parser-rework prime time ready?
--

@ 2009-08-04  7:48     ` Nicola Mfb
From: Nicola Mfb @ 2009-08-04  7:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel; +Cc: shr-user

On Sun, Aug 2, 2009 at 1:04 PM, Klaus 'mrmoku'
Kurzmann<mok@mnet-online.de> wrote:
> Am Sonntag 02 August 2009 12:50:55 schrieb Stefan Buschmann:
>> I'm experiencing problems with current SHR images as well. In my case,
>> everything gets built and the image is created successfully, but when I
>> boot into the system on my device, I get a few error messages like "no
>> sound device" for alsa, "no network card" etc., and the X server fails
>> to start. However the fso-daemons etc. seem to be working, or at least
>> starting, correctly.
> yeah, thats exactly what happens to me too.
>
> I just gave the 1.8-parser-rework a shot and it looks like it builds correct
> images with all needed stuff included. Did not boot it yet, but I checked that
> the missing packages are included.
>
> Is 1.8-parser-rework prime time ready?

Some news about that?
I just reverted bb thread numbers to 1, now kernel is installed and
rcS too, so I'm experiencing the same of you, no X startup, etc.. I
tryed 1.8, 1.8-parser-rework and old bitbake from svn, same result.

Regards

    Nicola

* Re: some RRECOMMENDed packages do not get included into the image
@ 2009-09-21 17:03       ` Nicola Mfb
From: Nicola Mfb @ 2009-09-21 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel; +Cc: shr-devel

On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 9:48 AM, Nicola Mfb<nicola.mfb@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]
> Some news about that?
> I just reverted bb thread numbers to 1, now kernel is installed and
> rcS too, so I'm experiencing the same of you, no X startup, etc.. I
> tryed 1.8, 1.8-parser-rework and old bitbake from svn, same result.

Hi Klaus,
I just tryed again in the latest days and got the same result.
Was it fixed? is there a workaround? building from milestone5.5 branch is ok.

Best Regards

     Nicola

* Re: [Shr-Devel] some RRECOMMENDed packages do not get included into the image
@ 2009-09-21 18:05         ` Klaus 'mrmoku' Kurzmann
From: Klaus 'mrmoku' Kurzmann @ 2009-09-21 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: shr-devel; +Cc: openembedded-devel

Am Montag 21 September 2009 19:03:38 schrieb Nicola Mfb:
> On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 9:48 AM, Nicola Mfb<nicola.mfb@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>
> > Some news about that?
> > I just reverted bb thread numbers to 1, now kernel is installed and
> > rcS too, so I'm experiencing the same of you, no X startup, etc.. I
> > tryed 1.8, 1.8-parser-rework and old bitbake from svn, same result.
>
> Hi Klaus,
> I just tryed again in the latest days and got the same result.
> Was it fixed? is there a workaround? building from milestone5.5 branch is
>  ok.
The reason is that some package that is needed by one of the tasks did not get
built. As a consequence that task does not get included into the image. I
don't remember which package it was for me, but manually building the package,
properly cleaning the tasks and rebuilding fixed it. What annoys me is that OE
continues to build the image instead of bailing out...

If this is the reason you will have some ERROR somewhere in the rootfs log.
Probably only on the first build though (at least that was my impression).

Right now building from scratch should work though (just did that today).

Hope that helps :-)

--

Klaus 'mrmoku' Kurzmann

* Re: [Shr-Devel] some RRECOMMENDed packages do not get included into the image
@ 2009-09-22 13:11           ` Nicola Mfb
From: Nicola Mfb @ 2009-09-22 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Klaus 'mrmoku' Kurzmann; +Cc: openembedded-devel, shr-devel

On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 8:05 PM, Klaus 'mrmoku' Kurzmann
<mok@mnet-online.de> wrote:
[...]
> The reason is that some package that is needed by one of the tasks did not get
> built. As a consequence that task does not get included into the image. I
> don't remember which package it was for me, but manually building the package,
> properly cleaning the tasks and rebuilding fixed it. What annoys me is that OE
> continues to build the image instead of bailing out...
>
> If this is the reason you will have some ERROR somewhere in the rootfs log.
> Probably only on the first build though (at least that was my impression).

Hi Klaus, thanks for the answer

My build from scratch finished, I found in rootfs log an error about
fso-abyss, so rebuilt it and removed staging/all/task-shr*, rebitbaked
shr-image, I do not know if this is the way you suggested.

Anyway it boots but at some point I get:

Configuring ...
Configuring ...
Removing old /usr/share/gpe/pixmaps ...
Press enter to continue

Usb0 is up but no dropbear and the boot does not proceed.

On the second forced boot I lost usb networking completely (no such
device), and the configure phase terminated again with "Press enter to
continue".

Finally did a git pull, and now I have problem on libxxf86dga, so
rebuilding again from scratch, hoping your last commit on fso-abyss
depends fixed all.

@ 2009-09-22 14:35             ` Nicola Mfb
From: Nicola Mfb @ 2009-09-22 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Klaus 'mrmoku' Kurzmann; +Cc: openembedded-devel, shr-devel

On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 3:11 PM, Nicola Mfb <nicola.mfb@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 8:05 PM, Klaus 'mrmoku' Kurzmann
[...]
> Anyway it boots but at some point I get:

> Configuring ...
> Configuring ...
> Removing old /usr/share/gpe/pixmaps ...
> Press enter to continue

It was opkg postinstallation of gpe icons, I just removed the "read"
line and it booted, finally I can see Xorg!

[...]
> On the second forced boot I lost usb networking completely

No way to reproduce doing normal reboot, passing the gpe-icons
postinst dropbear starts normally, before it may be that hard shutdown
with long power press broke my filesystem.

Regards

    Nicola