* [U-Boot] Environment structure.
@ 2009-07-30 11:34 Tuma
From: Tuma @ 2009-07-30 11:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hello All!
I develop some "upgrade" tool based on the U-Boot booted from SD card.
I want to boot from SD card, and execute some simple script which is stored in
bootcmd environment variable:
"echo Hello! ; mmcinit ; sleep 10 ; reset; " etc...
So I need to generate some environment file. I find source from tools/env very
useful (I try to get variables from correct file I already have), but I can't
find any description of environment file (or flash partition) at all (which I
need to write tool for generating environment file).
Can someone explain me the structure of the file, please.
Something like:
0-4 - CRC
5-... - (Environment)\0(Environment)\0...
... Environment End Mark...
and so on.

Or tell me in what file should I see from U-Boot source.

And is there any difference between content of OneNAND flash
environment-partition and file on SD card?

Thank you.

--
Software Developer
General Satellite Corp.

* [U-Boot] Environment structure.
@ 2009-07-30 15:29 ` Detlev Zundel
From: Detlev Zundel @ 2009-07-30 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi Tuma,

> Hello All!

Hiya.

> I develop some "upgrade" tool based on the U-Boot booted from SD card.
> I want to boot from SD card, and execute some simple script which is stored in
> bootcmd environment variable:
> "echo Hello! ; mmcinit ; sleep 10 ; reset; " etc...
> So I need to generate some environment file.

Sorry, but I do not understand why you need to generate an environment
image if you only eant to run some scripts.  Can we please step back
again and talk about what you want to achieve?  Pretty likely there is a
different and cleaner solution to your problem.

> I find source from tools/env very
> useful (I try to get variables from correct file I already have), but I can't
> find any description of environment file (or flash partition) at all (which I
> need to write tool for generating environment file).
> Can someone explain me the structure of the file, please.
> Something like:
> 0-4 - CRC

Well the problem is that environment can be in a different format,
depending on configuration options.  If for example you enable redundand
environments, you will have another byte after the crc signalling which
of the two copies is the active one.

> 5-... - (Environment)\0(Environment)\0...
> ... Environment End Mark...
> and so on.
>
> Or tell me in what file should I see from U-Boot source.

A good start would be to read /include/environment.h - but only after
you are really sure that you want to generate an environment after all
:)

> And is there any difference between content of OneNAND flash
> environment-partition and file on SD card?

I can parse the sentence syntactically, but I have no clue what you are
asking here...

Cheers
  Detlev

--
Math and Alcohol don't mix, so...
PLEASE DON'T DRINK AND DERIVE

[Motto of the society: Mathematicians Against Drunk Deriving]

* [U-Boot] BMP display.
@ 2009-08-03 13:03   ` Tuma
From: Tuma @ 2009-08-03 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hello, all!
Detlev, thank for oyur reply.
So I don't need environment file parser any more.

But now I have new question - how can I display a Bitmap picture on the
board's LCD? I know there is the "bmp" command, but how should I configure
and build U-Boot to have this command in prompt? My board is OMAP3EVM.

Thank you.

--
Software Developer
General Satellite Corp.

* [U-Boot] BMP display.
@ 2009-08-05 14:31     ` Detlev Zundel
From: Detlev Zundel @ 2009-08-05 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi Tuma,

> But now I have new question - how can I display a Bitmap picture on the
> board's LCD? I know there is the "bmp" command, but how should I configure
> and build U-Boot to have this command in prompt? My board is OMAP3EVM.

Well for the bmp command to work, an implementation for the LCD part
needs to be there.  Checking the configs for supported OMAP boards, not
one defines CONFIG_LCD:

$ grep CONFIG_LCD `grep -l OMAP include/configs/*` | wc -l
0

As an example the MPC823 LCD controller is supported:

$  grep CONFIG_LCD `grep -l MPC823 include/configs/*` | wc -l
25

I fear that you will need to implement support for the LCD controller
yourself.

Cheers
  Detlev

--
You are God.  Remember?
      -- Timothy Leary

* [U-Boot] BMP display.
@ 2009-08-06 11:48       ` Tuma
From: Tuma @ 2009-08-06 11:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hello, Detlev!
Thanks for your reply.
While I've been waiting for reply, I've found some information from Internet
and source code. I tryed to configure current omap3evm config file, but I get
errors during compilation.
So I know there is no LCD support for OMAP3evm now.
And now I think about the way I could implement LCD support for my board.

Thank you!

--
Software Developer
General Satellite Corp.

* [U-Boot] BMP display.
@ 2009-08-06 15:25         ` Detlev Zundel
From: Detlev Zundel @ 2009-08-06 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi Tuma,

> While I've been waiting for reply, I've found some information from Internet
> and source code. I tryed to configure current omap3evm config file, but I get
> errors during compilation.
> So I know there is no LCD support for OMAP3evm now.

This can be changed ;)

> And now I think about the way I could implement LCD support for my board.

Good.  Let me give you one piece of advice though - post your efforts
early and often so that people here in the ML with experience can help
you not going down the wrong route.  Also someone else may jump in and
help out ;)

Cheers
  Detlev

--
config LGUEST
        If unsure, say N.  If curious, say M.  If masochistic, say Y.

* [U-Boot] BMP display.
@ 2009-08-13  9:26           ` Tuma
From: Tuma @ 2009-08-13  9:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi, All!
Thank you, Detlev!

Now I have a question.
I have LCD drivers from TI for OMAP3 evm board. I need to include this files
to my current u-boot. I have .h and .c files with some functional I need. I
want to call some functions implemented in this files from main_loop (). I
put .h files in the "include" directory, adn .c files to the "drivers"
directory. Then I include appropriate .h file in main.c, compile and get
error:
"/root/GS/Taimen/U-Boot-Upgrader/common/main.c:343: undefined reference to
`enable_lcd_power'".

What do I do wrong? How new files should be added to the project?

Thank you!

--
Software Developer
General Satellite Corp.

* [U-Boot] BMP display.
@ 2009-08-13  9:45             ` Wolfgang Denk
       [not found]               ` <200908171305.55605.chernigovskiy@spb.gs.ru>
From: Wolfgang Denk @ 2009-08-13  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Dear Tuma,

In message <200908131326.20857.chernigovskiy@spb.gs.ru> you wrote:

> I have LCD drivers from TI for OMAP3 evm board. I need to include this files
> to my current u-boot. I have .h and .c files with some functional I need. I
> want to call some functions implemented in this files from main_loop (). I

You definitely do NOT want to do that. the main_loop is the command
interpreter. Don't mess with that code.

> put .h files in the "include" directory, adn .c files to the "drivers"
> directory. Then I include appropriate .h file in main.c, compile and get
> error:
> "/root/GS/Taimen/U-Boot-Upgrader/common/main.c:343: undefined reference to
> `enable_lcd_power'".
>
> What do I do wrong? How new files should be added to the project?

You also have to make sure these files get linked, so check the parts
of the Makefiles that include objects into the respective libraries.

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"Wish not to seem, but to be, the best."                  - Aeschylus

* [U-Boot] BMP display.
       [not found]               ` <200908171305.55605.chernigovskiy@spb.gs.ru>
@ 2009-08-17  9:33                 ` Wolfgang Denk
From: Wolfgang Denk @ 2009-08-17  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Dear Tuma,

please keep the mailing list on Cc: - thanks.

In message <200908171305.55605.chernigovskiy@spb.gs.ru> you wrote:

> > In message <200908131326.20857.chernigovskiy@spb.gs.ru> you wrote:
> > > I have LCD drivers from TI for OMAP3 evm board. I need to include this
> > > files to my current u-boot. I have .h and .c files with some functional I
> > > need. I want to call some functions implemented in this files from
> > > main_loop (). I
> >
> > You definitely do NOT want to do that. the main_loop is the command
> > interpreter. Don't mess with that code.
>
> Okay. We'll talk about it a little bit later.
>
> > > put .h files in the "include" directory, adn .c files to the "drivers"
> > > directory. Then I include appropriate .h file in main.c, compile and get
> > > error:
> > > "/root/GS/Taimen/U-Boot-Upgrader/common/main.c:343: undefined reference
> > > to `enable_lcd_power'".
> > >
> > > What do I do wrong? How new files should be added to the project?
> >
> > You also have to make sure these files get linked, so check the parts
> > of the Makefiles that include objects into the respective libraries.
>
> I understand what you've written but what file should I check?
> Maybe we should start from question - where (in what directories) I should put
> my new files? I have some .h files and few .c.

I cannot answer this question without knowing that these files
contain. Is this board specific code? Then it should go into your own
board directory. Is it OMAP3 specific, generic stuff? Then it should
probably go into the cpu/arm_cortexa8/omap3 directory. Is it driver
code? Then it should go into some directory below drivers/ - maybe
into drivers/video/ ?

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
The high cost of living hasn't affected its popularity.

* [U-Boot] BMP display.
@ 2009-08-17  9:38                   ` Tuma
From: Tuma @ 2009-08-17  9:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On Monday 17 August 2009 13:33:50 you wrote:
> Dear Tuma,
>
> please keep the mailing list on Cc: - thanks.

> > > You definitely do NOT want to do that. the main_loop is the command
> > > interpreter. Don't mess with that code.
> >
> > Okay. We'll talk about it a little bit later.

> > > You also have to make sure these files get linked, so check the parts
> > > of the Makefiles that include objects into the respective libraries.
> >
> > I understand what you've written but what file should I check?
> > Maybe we should start from question - where (in what directories) I
> > should put my new files? I have some .h files and few .c.
>
> I cannot answer this question without knowing that these files
> contain. Is this board specific code? Then it should go into your own
> board directory. Is it OMAP3 specific, generic stuff? Then it should
> probably go into the cpu/arm_cortexa8/omap3 directory. Is it driver
> code? Then it should go into some directory below drivers/ - maybe
> into drivers/video/ ?

Yes, you're right - this is LCD driver (as I see it is based on some specific
i2c driver, so it should be included too). And not specific for the OMAP3 evm
board - OMAP3's display is only experimental for me now, final H/W will use
another LCD.
But I cannt find subdirectory "video" int "drivers". Do you mean "drivers" in
the root of U-Boot directory tree?

Thank you.

--
Software Developer
General Satellite Corp.

* [U-Boot] BMP display.
@ 2009-08-17  9:52                     ` Wolfgang Denk
From: Wolfgang Denk @ 2009-08-17  9:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Dear Tuma,

In message <200908171338.23342.chernigovskiy@spb.gs.ru> you wrote:
> > I cannot answer this question without knowing that these files
> > contain. Is this board specific code? Then it should go into your own
> > board directory. Is it OMAP3 specific, generic stuff? Then it should
> > probably go into the cpu/arm_cortexa8/omap3 directory. Is it driver
> > code? Then it should go into some directory below drivers/ - maybe
> > into drivers/video/ ?
>
> Yes, you're right - this is LCD driver (as I see it is based on some specific
> i2c driver, so it should be included too). And not specific for the OMAP3 evm
> board - OMAP3's display is only experimental for me now, final H/W will use
> another LCD.

The LCD type is probably the least concern here.

> But I cannt find subdirectory "video" int "drivers". Do you mean "drivers" in
> the root of U-Boot directory tree?

Yes, I do:

-> ls drivers/video/
Makefile         ati_radeon_fb.h  cfb_console.c  mx3fb.c     sed156x.c    videomodes.c
ati_ids.h        atmel_lcdfb.c    ct69000.c      s6e63d6.c   sm501.c      videomodes.h
ati_radeon_fb.c  bus_vcxk.c       mb862xx.c      sed13806.c  smiLynxEM.c

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
e-credibility: the non-guaranteeable likelihood that  the  electronic
data you're seeing is genuine rather than somebody's made-up crap.
- Karl Lehenbauer

* [U-Boot] BMP display.
@ 2009-08-17 11:12                       ` Tuma
From: Tuma @ 2009-08-17 11:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On Monday 17 August 2009 13:52:46 you wrote:
> Dear Tuma,
>
> In message <200908171338.23342.chernigovskiy@spb.gs.ru> you wrote:
>
> > > I cannot answer this question without knowing that these files
> > > contain. Is this board specific code? Then it should go into your own
> > > board directory. Is it OMAP3 specific, generic stuff? Then it should
> > > probably go into the cpu/arm_cortexa8/omap3 directory. Is it driver
> > > code? Then it should go into some directory below drivers/ - maybe
> > > into drivers/video/ ?
> >
> > Yes, you're right - this is LCD driver (as I see it is based on some
> > specific i2c driver, so it should be included too). And not specific for
> > the OMAP3 evm board - OMAP3's display is only experimental for me now,
> > final H/W will use another LCD.
>
> The LCD type is probably the least concern here.
>
> > But I cannt find subdirectory "video" int "drivers". Do you mean
> > "drivers" in the root of U-Boot directory tree?
>
> Yes, I do:
>
> -> ls drivers/video/
> Makefile         ati_radeon_fb.h  cfb_console.c  mx3fb.c     sed156x.c
> videomodes.c ati_ids.h        atmel_lcdfb.c    ct69000.c      s6e63d6.c
> sm501.c      videomodes.h ati_radeon_fb.c  bus_vcxk.c       mb862xx.c
> sed13806.c  smiLynxEM.c

Here are all my subdirectoryes in "drivers":

ls ./drivers -l | grep -i drwx
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root    552 2009-08-12 16:42 nand
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root    216 2009-08-12 16:42 nand_legacy
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root    280 2009-08-12 16:42 onenand
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root   1176 2009-08-12 16:42 sk98lin

I see videomodes.* in your "video", so what is about videomodes.* in my
U-Boot:
ls ./drivers/videomodes.* -l
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 7137 2009-07-14 16:31 ./drivers/videomodes.c
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3204 2009-07-14 16:31 ./drivers/videomodes.h
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 7396 2009-08-12 16:42 ./drivers/videomodes.o

It seems I have no "video" subdirectory. So should I put all my drivers files
to "drivers"?

Sorry, but I _have to_ use this (not latest) version of U-Boot now.

--
Software Developer
General Satellite Corp.

* [U-Boot] BMP display.
@ 2009-08-17 11:51                         ` Wolfgang Denk
       [not found]                           ` <200908171631.17975.chernigovskiy@spb.gs.ru>
From: Wolfgang Denk @ 2009-08-17 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Dear Tuma,

In message <200908171512.57938.chernigovskiy@spb.gs.ru> you wrote:

> It seems I have no "video" subdirectory. So should I put all my drivers files
> to "drivers"?

No.

> Sorry, but I _have to_ use this (not latest) version of U-Boot now.

This will not work. Please use recent code. You must have a really,
really (I mean: awfully) old version.

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Is the glass half empty, half full, or twice as large as it needs to

* [U-Boot] BMP display.
       [not found]                           ` <200908171631.17975.chernigovskiy@spb.gs.ru>
@ 2009-08-17 12:38                             ` Wolfgang Denk
From: Wolfgang Denk @ 2009-08-17 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Dear Tuma,

again: please keep the mailing list on Cc: !!!

In message <200908171631.17975.chernigovskiy@spb.gs.ru> you wrote:

> Okay. Is new version configurable for OMAP3evm out of the box?

Yes.

> And is the v2009.08-rc2 stable enought?

Yes.

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
The price of curiosity is a terminal experience.
                         - Terry Pratchett, _The Dark Side of the Sun_

* [U-Boot] BMP display.
@ 2009-08-17 13:55                               ` Tuma
                                                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Tuma @ 2009-08-17 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On Monday 17 August 2009 16:38:31 you wrote:
> Dear Tuma,
>
> again: please keep the mailing list on Cc: !!!
>
> In message <200908171631.17975.chernigovskiy@spb.gs.ru> you wrote:
> > Okay. Is new version configurable for OMAP3evm out of the box?
>
> Yes.
>
> > And is the v2009.08-rc2 stable enought?
>
> Yes.

Thank you. I've downloaded new U-Boot 2009.08.rc2.
I have some error while making it.
I do:
make distclean  (Okay)
make omap3_evm_config  (Okay)
make

And get:

make[1]: arm-linux-gcc: Command not found

My old U-Boot used "arm-none-linux-gnueabi-gcc" which make system could easyly
find on my system.
Should I install some new software to build new U-Boot?
Or configure existing Makefile?

--
Software Developer
General Satellite Corp.

* [U-Boot] BMP display.
@ 2009-08-17 14:01                                 ` Tuma
From: Tuma @ 2009-08-17 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On Monday 17 August 2009 17:55:31 Tuma wrote:
> On Monday 17 August 2009 16:38:31 you wrote:
> > Dear Tuma,
> >
> > again: please keep the mailing list on Cc: !!!
> >
> > In message <200908171631.17975.chernigovskiy@spb.gs.ru> you wrote:
> > > Okay. Is new version configurable for OMAP3evm out of the box?
> >
> > Yes.
> >
> > > And is the v2009.08-rc2 stable enought?
> >
> > Yes.
>
> Thank you. I've downloaded new U-Boot 2009.08.rc2.
> I have some error while making it.
> I do:
> make distclean  (Okay)

Sorry, "make clean", and "make distclean" give the same error as make.

--
Software Developer
General Satellite Corp.

* [U-Boot] BMP display.
@ 2009-08-17 15:37                                 ` Premi, Sanjeev
From: Premi, Sanjeev @ 2009-08-17 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Can you try:
make CROSS_COMPILE=arm-none-linux-gnueabi-

> > Best regards,
> >
> > Wolfgang Denk
>

> --
> Software Developer
> General Satellite Corp.

* [U-Boot] BMP display.
@ 2009-08-17 20:31                                 ` Wolfgang Denk
From: Wolfgang Denk @ 2009-08-17 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Dear Tuma,

In message <200908171755.31690.chernigovskiy@spb.gs.ru> you wrote:

> make[1]: arm-linux-gcc: Command not found
>
> My old U-Boot used "arm-none-linux-gnueabi-gcc" which make system could easyly
> find on my system.
> Should I install some new software to build new U-Boot?
> Or configure existing Makefile?

Maybe you should read the documetnation; then try:

	CROSS_COMPILE=arm-none-linux-gnueabi-
	export CROSS_COMPILE

before running make.

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"A little knowledge is a dangerous thing."                - Doug Gwyn

* [U-Boot] BMP display.
@ 2009-08-18  9:00                                   ` Tuma
From: Tuma @ 2009-08-18  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On Monday 17 August 2009 19:37:53 you wrote:
> [...]

Oo, thank you! I forgot about CROSS_COMPILE=. In my old U-Boot this parameter
was set in Makefile. In 2009 CROSS_COMPILE= in Makefile was ignored.

U-boot 2009 is built now, and runs on OMAP3 evm.

So I have to put i2c driver files (as .h as .c) to drivers/i2c and LCD driver
file s (as .h as .c) to drivers/video?

> > > Best regards,
> > >
> > > Wolfgang Denk
> >
> > --
> > Software Developer
> > General Satellite Corp.

Software Developer
General Satellite Corp.

* [U-Boot] BMP display.
@ 2009-08-18 11:04                                     ` Wolfgang Denk
From: Wolfgang Denk @ 2009-08-18 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Dear Tuma,

In message <200908181300.25197.chernigovskiy@spb.gs.ru> you wrote:

> Oo, thank you! I forgot about CROSS_COMPILE=. In my old U-Boot this parameter
> was set in Makefile. In 2009 CROSS_COMPILE= in Makefile was ignored.

This statement is plain wrong. CROSS_COMPILE= has never been ignored
in the Makefile, at leats as far as the mainline code is concerned. [I
don't know which crippeled version you might be using, and I don;t
actually care.]

> U-boot 2009 is built now, and runs on OMAP3 evm.
>
> So I have to put i2c driver files (as .h as .c) to drivers/i2c and LCD driver
> file s (as .h as .c) to drivers/video?

I don't know the code, so what can I say? Maybe?

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Quantum particles: The dreams that stuff is made of.