* [Buildroot] Problem using netsnmp
@ 2009-07-28 12:02 Chris Smith
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Chris Smith @ 2009-07-28 12:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

When I build netsnmp the built snmpd doesn't work on the target.  All
the other snmp stuff works but I get
lib.so.6 not found when trying to run snmpd.

Anyone have any thoughts?  It is as if some linkage to host based
libraries has crept in.

* [Buildroot] Problem using netsnmp
@ 2009-07-28 21:10 ` Peter Korsgaard
       [not found]   ` <4A855D74.5090308@tandberg.com>
From: Peter Korsgaard @ 2009-07-28 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

hi,

 Chris> When I build netsnmp the built snmpd doesn't work on the
 Chris> target.  All the other snmp stuff works but I get lib.so.6 not
 Chris> found when trying to run snmpd.

Sure that's 'lib.so.6'? That's a fairly strange library name.

 Chris> Anyone have any thoughts?  It is as if some linkage to host
 Chris> based libraries has crept in.

What arch are you building for?

What does build_*/staging_dir/*-readelf -x <snmpd> | grep NEEDED give?

--
Bye, Peter Korsgaard

* [Buildroot] Problem using netsnmp
@ 2009-07-29  8:06   ` Chris Smith
       [not found]   ` <4A855D74.5090308@tandberg.com>
From: Chris Smith @ 2009-07-29  8:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Sorry that should have been libc.so.6.

Building for i486.

I noticed that snmpd is the only thing in the makefile using MAKE1 to
build and that it is the only binary with a problem.

readelf shows
 0x00000001 (NEEDED)                     Shared library:
[libnetsnmpagent.so.15]
 0x00000001 (NEEDED)                     Shared library:
[libnetsnmphelpers.so.15]
 0x00000001 (NEEDED)                     Shared library:
[libnetsnmpmibs.so.15]
 0x00000001 (NEEDED)                     Shared library: [libnetsnmp.so.15]
 0x00000001 (NEEDED)                     Shared library: [libdl.so.0]
 0x00000001 (NEEDED)                     Shared library:
[libcrypto.so.0.9.8]
 0x00000001 (NEEDED)                     Shared library: [libgcc_s.so.1]
 0x00000001 (NEEDED)                     Shared library: [libc.so.0]

Which looks ok to me. But on the target...

/usr/sbin/snmpd: can't load library 'libc.so.6'

Peter Korsgaard wrote:

> hi,
>
>  Chris> When I build netsnmp the built snmpd doesn't work on the
>  Chris> target.  All the other snmp stuff works but I get lib.so.6 not
>  Chris> found when trying to run snmpd.
>
> Sure that's 'lib.so.6'? That's a fairly strange library name.
>
>  Chris> Anyone have any thoughts?  It is as if some linkage to host
>  Chris> based libraries has crept in.
>
> What arch are you building for?
>
> What does build_*/staging_dir/*-readelf -x <snmpd> | grep NEEDED give?

TANDBERG Telecom UK Ltd
Registered in England and Wales No: 3390345.
Registered address:
Unit 2 Pine Trees, Chertsey Lane, Staines, Middlesex, TW18 3HR

* [Buildroot] Problem using netsnmp
@ 2009-07-29  8:25     ` Thomas Petazzoni
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2009-07-29  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Le Wed, 29 Jul 2009 09:06:39 +0100,
Chris Smith <chris.smith@tandberg.com> a ?crit :

> Sorry that should have been libc.so.6.
>
> Building for i486.

Ok, so same architecture on the build machine and the target machine.

> /usr/sbin/snmpd: can't load library 'libc.so.6'

I suspect that the host toolchain is leaking somewhere in the build.
libc.so.6 clearly indicates a glibc-based toolchain, which is the one
of your host. Such a mix usually gets detected when the build machine
and the target machine have a different architecture, but here, since
it's the same, it might remain undetected.

I suspect one of the libraries on which snmpd depends, gets compiled
against the host glibc instead of the target uClibc.

Will try to find some time to dig into this.

Sincerly,

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons
consulting, training and support.

* [Buildroot] Problem using netsnmp
@ 2009-08-03 15:01 ` Thomas Petazzoni
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2009-08-03 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Le Tue, 28 Jul 2009 13:02:57 +0100,
Chris Smith <chris.smith@tandberg.com> a ?crit :

> When I build netsnmp the built snmpd doesn't work on the target.  All
> the other snmp stuff works but I get
> lib.so.6 not found when trying to run snmpd.
>
> Anyone have any thoughts?  It is as if some linkage to host based
> libraries has crept in.

Could you report a bug for this in our bug tracker
(http://bugs.uclibc.org, product buildroot) ?

I'm currently working on switching this package to
Makefile.autotools.in in order to fix the build issue I have, and I
will also integrate the fix for
http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2008-6123, which
appears to be
http://net-snmp.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/net-snmp/branches/V5-4-patches/net-snmp/snmplib/snmpUDPDomain.c?view=patch&r1=17367&r2=17366&pathrev=17367
(thanks to Gustavo for noticing).

Thanks!

Thomas
--

@ 2009-08-04 14:29 ` Thomas Petazzoni
       [not found]   ` <4A785AE1.8010609@tandberg.com>
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2009-08-04 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Le Tue, 28 Jul 2009 13:02:57 +0100,
Chris Smith <chris.smith@tandberg.com> a ?crit :

> When I build netsnmp the built snmpd doesn't work on the target.  All
> the other snmp stuff works but I get
> lib.so.6 not found when trying to run snmpd.
>
> Anyone have any thoughts?  It is as if some linkage to host based
> libraries has crept in.

I've converted the package to the Makefile.autotools.in infrastructure.
And now it builds for me, with openssl support. However, I've removed
the Perl support since it was broken and took too much time to fix.

Could you test the patch I proposed (available at
http://git.buildroot.net/~tpetazzoni/git/buildroot/patch/?id=d96368ad9339edf62aa87890d5cea79bf7ddfc34) ?

It builds for me, and the snmpd daemon runs. But as I have absolutely
no knowledge about SNMP, you'll probably have more ideas on how to
verify that it is indeed working.

Moreover, I've added a few things in the TODO about netsnmp (see
http://git.buildroot.net/~tpetazzoni/git/buildroot/patch/?id=d7890dd09302bc912cca13d65aa128eb826f9123).
If you're interested in helping for one of them (like telling us how
netsnmp should be packaged, what are the different programs, libraries
and configuration files useful for), don't hesitate!

Thanks!

Thomas
--

@ 2009-08-04 19:39     ` Thomas Petazzoni
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2009-08-04 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hello,

[ I'm re-adding the Buildroot list in Cc: ]

Le Tue, 04 Aug 2009 16:59:29 +0100,
Chris Smith <chris.smith@tandberg.com> a ?crit :

> I tested the patch. Seems to work ok.

Thanks for testing the patch!

>  I had some issues with building in parallel,  I have set 4 as the
> Number of jobs to run simultaneously. I had to try and build a few
> times before it worked. Just dependency issues I think.

I didn't try with a number of jobs > 1, and before my patch, netsnmp
was forced to make -j1 even if a number of jobs > 1 was selected
globally in Buildroot.

I will try to provide another fix for this issue.

> > Moreover, I've added a few things in the TODO about netsnmp (see
> > http://git.buildroot.net/~tpetazzoni/git/buildroot/patch/?id=d7890dd09302bc912cca13d65aa128eb826f9123).
> > If you're interested in helping for one of them (like telling us how
> > netsnmp should be packaged, what are the different programs,
> > libraries and configuration files useful for), don't hesitate!

Any suggestions about this ?

Thanks again for the report and the test,

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons
consulting, training and support.
http://free-electrons.com

* [Buildroot] IPv6 in busybox
       [not found]   ` <4A855D74.5090308@tandberg.com>
@ 2009-08-24 21:30     ` Peter Korsgaard
From: Peter Korsgaard @ 2009-08-24 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

 Chris> There is a problem with IPv6 support in busybox.  I think you need to
 Chris> modify the busybox.mk file to add the CONFIG_FEATURE_IFUPDOWN_IPV6
 Chris> lines to allow ipv6 support in 'ifup'

Thanks, committed.

Please send fixes to the BR mailing list instead of directly to me in
the future, please.

 Chris> ifeq ($(BR2_INET_IPV6),y)
 Chris>    $(SED) "s/^.*CONFIG_FEATURE_IPV6.*/CONFIG_FEATURE_IPV6=y/;"
 Chris> $(BUSYBOX_DIR)/.config
 Chris>    $(SED)
 Chris> "s/^.*CONFIG_FEATURE_IFUPDOWN_IPV6.*/CONFIG_FEATURE_IFUPDOWN_IPV6=y/;"
 Chris> $(BUSYBOX_DIR)/.config
 Chris> else
 Chris>    $(SED) "s/^.*CONFIG_FEATURE_IPV6.*/CONFIG_FEATURE_IPV6=n/;"
 Chris> $(BUSYBOX_DIR)/.config
 Chris>    $(SED)
 Chris> "s/^.*CONFIG_FEATURE_IFUPDOWN_IPV6.*/CONFIG_FEATURE_IFUPDOWN_IPV6=n/;"
 Chris> $(BUSYBOX_DIR)/.config
 Chris> endif

--
Bye, Peter Korsgaard