* [U-Boot] U-boot "make config" errors
@ 2009-08-06 17:58 alfred steele
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: alfred steele @ 2009-08-06 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi all,
I have been building/using  u-boot for uite some time now. I never had
issues with it. Now, I am trying to use a versioning system to store a
version of u-boot and then check out a fresh version from the
repository on a different workspace and trying to compile it.
I get the following errors on running config for that specific platform.
u-boot]$ make mx31_config
Configuring for mx31 board...
rm: cannot remove `asm': Is a directory
make: *** [spin2_config] Error 1

I tracked this problem to be in the include directory and i can
alleviate this problem by copying the whole "include" directory from
my local "known to be working version".
But every time i do a build on freshly checked out version, it gives
me the same error as above.

Thanks,
Alfred

* [U-Boot] U-boot "make config" errors
@ 2009-08-06 18:02 ` alfred steele
From: alfred steele @ 2009-08-06 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

> Hi all,
> I have been building/using ?u-boot for uite some time now. I never had
> issues with it. Now, I am trying to use a versioning system to store a
> version of u-boot and then check out a fresh version from the
> repository on a different workspace and trying to compile it.
> I get the following errors on running config for that specific platform.
> u-boot]$ make mx31_config
> Configuring for mx31 board...
> rm: cannot remove `asm': Is a directory
> make: *** [spin2_config] Error 1
>
> I tracked this problem to be in the include directory and i can
> alleviate this problem by copying the whole "include" directory from
> my local "known to be working version".
> But every time i do a build on freshly checked out version, it gives
> me the same error as above.
To add to that i am having problems doing a distclean too.
make distclean
rm: cannot remove `include/asm/arch': Is a directory
rm: cannot remove `include/asm': Is a directory
make: *** [clobber] Error 1

Thanks,
Alfred.

* [U-Boot] U-boot "make config" errors
@ 2009-08-06 18:11 ` Alessandro Rubini
From: Alessandro Rubini @ 2009-08-06 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

> u-boot]$ make mx31_config
> Configuring for mx31 board...
> rm: cannot remove `asm': Is a directory

Asm should be a symlink. It seems you checked in your own versioning
system the directory pointed by the link and not the link itself.

Most likely your versioning system doesn't handle symlinks. You should
learn git instead of replicating the repository: it takes some time,
but it's well spent.

/alessandro

* [U-Boot] U-boot "make config" errors
@ 2009-08-06 19:37 ` Wolfgang Denk
From: Wolfgang Denk @ 2009-08-06 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Dear alfred steele,

In message <528f13590908061058p75cb632cubedee8990ceb7aa8@mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> I have been building/using  u-boot for uite some time now. I never had
> issues with it. Now, I am trying to use a versioning system to store a
> version of u-boot and then check out a fresh version from the
> repository on a different workspace and trying to compile it.
> I get the following errors on running config for that specific platform.
> u-boot]$ make mx31_config
> Configuring for mx31 board...
> rm: cannot remove `asm': Is a directory

Well, isn't this ia clear indication of the problem? Make sure that
incluse/asm is _not_ a directory. Make sure to check in only files and
directories that really belong to the source distribution.

Even better, dump your current versioning system, and use git instead
:-)

> I tracked this problem to be in the include directory and i can
> alleviate this problem by copying the whole "include" directory from
> my local "known to be working version".

At least make sure to run "make mrproper" before copying into the
repository.

> But every time i do a build on freshly checked out version, it gives
> me the same error as above.

Sure. In your case include/asm has been incorrectly copied.

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
In the beginning there was nothing.
And the Lord said "Let There Be Light!"
And still there was nothing, but at least now you could see it.