* Tie a CVS-aware app into GIT?
@ 2009-08-12 18:01 david.hagood
From: david.hagood @ 2009-08-12 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

I have an application (closed source, unfortunately) that can use CVS to
manage its files (specifically, Enterprise Architect by Sparx).

I'd rather use GIT to manage the files, but EA doesn't "speak" git - just
CVS and Subversion (and Microsoft's SCC protocol, but...)

Are there any programs which
1) accept the same command line parameters as CVS or Subversion
and
2) access a GIT repository.

git-svn is almost exactly NOT what I need, as it accepts "git" type
command line parameters and access a SVN repo, rather than accepting SVN
command line parameters and accessing a GIT repo.

Now, obviously, such a tool wouldn't have access to all the things that
GIT can do, and that is NOT what I am expecting - what I want is just to
enable EA to do the things it needs to do, namely adding/removing/moving
files from a repo. Branching, commits, and so on can be done manually.

I've thought about git-cvsserver as a solution, but I don't know if it can
be run on a local machine to access a local repository.

I'd appreciate any help on this.

* Re: Tie a CVS-aware app into GIT?
@ 2009-08-12 18:34 ` Martin Langhoff
From: Martin Langhoff @ 2009-08-12 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: david.hagood; +Cc: git

On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 2:01 PM, <david.hagood@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've thought about git-cvsserver as a solution, but I don't know if it can
> be run on a local machine to access a local repository.

Even though the docs say you can't (well, you should have to run it
over pserver) ISTR there is a way to get the cvs client to instantiate
a server using the CVS_SERVER envvar even for local ops.

Worth checking in the more detailed CVS user guide.

 martin.langhoff@gmail.com
 martin@laptop.org -- School Server Architect
 - ask interesting questions

* Re: Tie a CVS-aware app into GIT?
@ 2009-08-12 20:30 ` Robin Rosenberg
From: Robin Rosenberg @ 2009-08-12 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: david.hagood; +Cc: git

onsdag 12 augusti 2009 20:01:45 skrev david.hagood@gmail.com:
> I have an application (closed source, unfortunately) that can use CVS to
> manage its files (specifically, Enterprise Architect by Sparx).
>
> I'd rather use GIT to manage the files, but EA doesn't "speak" git - just
> CVS and Subversion (and Microsoft's SCC protocol, but...)
>
> Are there any programs which
> 1) accept the same command line parameters as CVS or Subversion
> and
> 2) access a GIT repository.
>
> git-svn is almost exactly NOT what I need, as it accepts "git" type
> command line parameters and access a SVN repo, rather than accepting SVN
> command line parameters and accessing a GIT repo.
>
> Now, obviously, such a tool wouldn't have access to all the things that
> GIT can do, and that is NOT what I am expecting - what I want is just to
> enable EA to do the things it needs to do, namely adding/removing/moving
> files from a repo. Branching, commits, and so on can be done manually.
>
> I've thought about git-cvsserver as a solution, but I don't know if it can
> be run on a local machine to access a local repository.

What makes you there would be an issue here?

-- robin

* Re: Tie a CVS-aware app into GIT?
@ 2009-08-12 21:52   ` david.hagood
From: david.hagood @ 2009-08-12 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robin Rosenberg; +Cc: david.hagood, git

> What makes you there would be an issue here?
>
> -- robin

Mostly just paranoia, a lack of experience with it, and a general
brain-overload because of the bazillion other things I'm trying to work
through. I was hoping I might get good pointers from somebody who's
already done something like this.