* AMD K10 temp.module ready since months, but missing in kernel...
@ 2009-08-20 22:13 mmi
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: mmi @ 2009-08-20 22:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hello out there,

i found the code to read temperature of AMD K10 (Phenom) processors a
couple of months ago in the net (GPL). I use it since January now and i
wonder, why it's not in the kernel till now.

It's from the same author, who wrote k8temp.c (which is in kernel).

Thanks,

M. Miederer

* Re: AMD K10 temp.module ready since months, but missing in kernel...
@ 2009-08-20 23:22 ` Jesper Juhl
From: Jesper Juhl @ 2009-08-20 23:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mmi; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Fri, 21 Aug 2009, mmi wrote:

> Hello out there,
>
> i found the code to read temperature of AMD K10 (Phenom) processors a
> couple of months ago in the net (GPL).

Perhaps you could provide a link to that code?

--
Jesper Juhl <jj@chaosbits.net>             http://www.chaosbits.net/
Plain text mails only, please      http://www.expita.com/nomime.html

* Re: AMD K10 temp.module ready since months, but missing in kernel...
@ 2009-08-21 10:45 ` Borislav Petkov
From: Borislav Petkov @ 2009-08-21 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mmi; +Cc: linux-kernel, Andreas Herrmann, r.marek

[ adding relevant CCs ]

On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 12:13:22AM +0200, mmi wrote:
> Hello out there,
>
> i found the code to read temperature of AMD K10 (Phenom) processors a
> couple of months ago in the net (GPL). I use it since January now and i
> wonder, why it's not in the kernel till now.
>
> It's from the same author, who wrote k8temp.c (which is in kernel).
>
> Thanks,
>
> M. Miederer

Regards/Gruss,
    Boris.

* Re: AMD K10 temp.module ready since months, but missing in kernel...
@ 2009-08-21 15:42   ` Gene Heskett
From: Gene Heskett @ 2009-08-21 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Borislav Petkov; +Cc: mmi, linux-kernel, Andreas Herrmann, r.marek

On Friday 21 August 2009, Borislav Petkov wrote:
>[ adding relevant CCs ]
>
>On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 12:13:22AM +0200, mmi wrote:
>> Hello out there,
>>
>> i found the code to read temperature of AMD K10 (Phenom) processors a
>> couple of months ago in the net (GPL). I use it since January now and i
>> wonder, why it's not in the kernel till now.
>>
>> It's from the same author, who wrote k8temp.c (which is in kernel).
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> M. Miederer

Butting in on the thread:
And I would like this to get in very much.  Not even gkrellm seems to be able
to read my phenom since about 2.6.30.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

It's ten o'clock. Do you know where your source code is?

* Re: AMD K10 temp.module ready since months, but missing in kernel...
@ 2009-08-25 11:36 ` Pavel Machek
From: Pavel Machek @ 2009-08-25 11:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mmi; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Fri 2009-08-21 00:13:22, mmi wrote:
> Hello out there,
>
> i found the code to read temperature of AMD K10 (Phenom) processors a
> couple of months ago in the net (GPL). I use it since January now and i
> wonder, why it's not in the kernel till now.
>
> It's from the same author, who wrote k8temp.c (which is in kernel).

So perhaps you need to clean it up and submit for mainline? Or just
submit for staging?

* Re: AMD K10 temp.module ready since months, but missing in kernel...
@ 2009-08-26 20:15   ` Christian Kujau
       [not found]     ` <20090827011019.59655f23@phenom>
From: Christian Kujau @ 2009-08-26 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Borislav Petkov; +Cc: mmi, LKML, Andreas Herrmann, r.marek

On Fri, 21 Aug 2009 at 12:45, Borislav Petkov wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 12:13:22AM +0200, mmi wrote:
> > Hello out there,
> >
> > i found the code to read temperature of AMD K10 (Phenom) processors a
> > couple of months ago in the net (GPL). I use it since January now and i
> > wonder, why it's not in the kernel till now.
> >
> > It's from the same author, who wrote k8temp.c (which is in kernel).

MMI, do you mean this:
http://linux.derkeiler.com/Newsgroups/alt.os.linux/2008-08/msg00398.html

...or which code are you referring to?

Christian.
--
BOFH excuse #12:

dry joints on cable plug

@ 2009-08-27  6:58       ` Christian Kujau
From: Christian Kujau @ 2009-08-27  6:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mm; +Cc: LKML, Andreas Herrmann, r.marek

On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 at 01:10, mm wrote:
> Am Wed, 26 Aug 2009 13:15:45 -0700 (PDT) haben Sie (Christian Kujau
> <lists@nerdbynature.de>) geschrieben:

> > MMI, do you mean this:
> > http://linux.derkeiler.com/Newsgroups/alt.os.linux/2008-08/msg00398.html
> >
> > ...or which code are you referring to?
> >
> > Christian.
>
> YES, i refer to the code of Rudolf Marek. I think, he also has written
> the k8tmp.c. So he and his code should be well known in main line.
>
> In the meanwhile i read a discussion where  Rudolf
> thinks that it's not working on all Phenoms. Probably a problem on first
> series of Phenom I.
>
> I tested it on latest Phenom I and since January on Phenom II, it works
> fine.

Well, it's Rudolf's code - if he thinks this code is ready for inclusion
as well, we'd need his Signed-off to do so....

C.
--
BOFH excuse #213:

Change your language to Finnish.

* Re: AMD K10 temp.module ready since months, but missing in kernel...
@ 2009-08-28 19:43         ` Rudolf Marek
From: Rudolf Marek @ 2009-08-28 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Kujau; +Cc: mm, LKML, Andreas Herrmann