* Transition hppa from linuxthreads to nptl is ready to proceed.
@ 2009-09-07 21:54 Carlos O'Donell
       [not found] ` <200909080034.30234.elendil@planet.nl>
From: Carlos O'Donell @ 2009-09-07 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GNU Libc Maintainers, Debian HPPA Port List, linux-parisc,
	Aurelien Jarno

Aurelian,

The following patches implement version 2 of the NPTL upgrade for
hppa. This second version is a rewrite of internal pthread structures
and is 100% ABI backwards compatible. All old applications will run
with the new glibc, including during partial upgrades.

I have tested the following patches with eglibc_2.10.1-0exp1, the
testing has included the standard glibc regression testing, simulation
of partial upgrades, and heavy chroot testing with Xnest, and several
large multithreaded UI applications (evince, xchat, nautilus,
gnome-session etc). All tests succeeded.

* Please add the following patch to the hppa set of patches:
http://www.parisc-linux.org/~carlos/debian-final_glibc-ports-hppa-nptl.diff

* Please use this exepcted testsuite failures file:
http://www.parisc-linux.org/~carlos/debian-final_expected-results-hppa-linux-gnu-libc

* Please remove the hppa/local-nptl-compat.diff patch from the patch series.

* Please enable nptl in sysdeps/hppa.mk.

Feel free to roll out the nptl upgrade whenever is convenient for you.
I will be checking in an identical patch to glibc ports later tonight.

Please email me directly if anything is wrong or you need help.

Grant, Petr, Aurelian, thank you for reviewing this patch.

Cheers,
Carlos.

* Re: Transition hppa from linuxthreads to nptl is ready to proceed.
       [not found] ` <200909080034.30234.elendil@planet.nl>
@ 2009-09-08 10:59   ` Domenico Andreoli
From: Domenico Andreoli @ 2009-09-08 10:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: debian-hppa; +Cc: GNU Libc Maintainers

On Tue, Sep 08, 2009 at 12:34:29AM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
> Carlos O'Donell wrote:
> > I have tested the following patches with eglibc_2.10.1-0exp1, the
> > testing has included the standard glibc regression testing, simulation
> > of partial upgrades, and heavy chroot testing with Xnest, and several
> > large multithreaded UI applications (evince, xchat, nautilus,
> > gnome-session etc). All tests succeeded.
>
> Congratulations Carlos. Excellent job!
>
> Many thanks to you and all others who have worked (and are working) on
> this.

Really Cool. Thank you.

cheers,
Domenico

-----[ Domenico Andreoli, aka cavok
 --[ http://people.debian.org/~cavok/gpgkey.asc
   ---[ 3A0F 2F80 F79C 678A 8936  4FEE 0677 9033 A20E BC50

@ 2009-09-08 17:57 ` Mike Frysinger
From: Mike Frysinger @ 2009-09-08 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carlos O'Donell
  Cc: Debian HPPA Port List, linux-parisc, Aurelien Jarno,
	Petr Salinger, Grant Grundler

[-- Attachment #1: Type: Text/Plain, Size: 1046 bytes --]

On Monday 07 September 2009 17:54:01 Carlos O'Donell wrote:
> The following patches implement version 2 of the NPTL upgrade for
> hppa. This second version is a rewrite of internal pthread structures
> and is 100% ABI backwards compatible. All old applications will run
> with the new glibc, including during partial upgrades.
>
> I have tested the following patches with eglibc_2.10.1-0exp1, the
> testing has included the standard glibc regression testing, simulation
> of partial upgrades, and heavy chroot testing with Xnest, and several
> large multithreaded UI applications (evince, xchat, nautilus,
> gnome-session etc). All tests succeeded.
>
> * Please add the following patch to the hppa set of patches:
> http://www.parisc-linux.org/~carlos/debian-final_glibc-ports-hppa-nptl.diff

any reason for not pushing this (and all the other hppa patches) to the glibc
ports tree ?  it isnt like you'll be breaking anything that isnt already
broken, and it'll make it easier for people to play with mainline glibc.
-mike

* Re: Transition hppa from linuxthreads to nptl is ready to proceed.
@ 2009-09-08 18:04   ` Carlos O'Donell
From: Carlos O'Donell @ 2009-09-08 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Frysinger
  Cc: Debian HPPA Port List, linux-parisc, Aurelien Jarno,
	Petr Salinger, Grant Grundler

On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 1:57 PM, Mike Frysinger<vapier@gentoo.org> wrote=
:
> On Monday 07 September 2009 17:54:01 Carlos O'Donell wrote:
>> The following patches implement version 2 of the NPTL upgrade for
>> hppa. This second version is a rewrite of internal pthread structure=
>> and is 100% ABI backwards compatible. All old applications will run
>> with the new glibc, including during partial upgrades.
>>
>> I have tested the following patches with eglibc_2.10.1-0exp1, the
>> testing has included the standard glibc regression testing, simulati=
on
>> of partial upgrades, and heavy chroot testing with Xnest, and severa=
>> large multithreaded UI applications (evince, xchat, nautilus,
>> gnome-session etc). All tests succeeded.
>>
>> * Please add the following patch to the hppa set of patches:
>> http://www.parisc-linux.org/~carlos/debian-final_glibc-ports-hppa-np=
tl.diff

> any reason for not pushing this (and all the other hppa patches) to t=
he glibc
> ports tree ? =A0it isnt like you'll be breaking anything that isnt al=
ready
> broken, and it'll make it easier for people to play with mainline gli=
bc.

It would have been upstream *before* the email went out, but my git-fu
is incredibly weak.

I've been talking to Roland about my problems with pushing upstream
(and the accidental branch I created on glibc.git).

git push -v
Pushing to git://sourceware.org/git/glibc-ports.git

git remote show origin
* remote origin
  HEAD branch: master
=2E..
  Local branch configured for 'git pull':
    master merges with remote master
  Local ref configured for 'git push':
    master pushes to master (fast forwardable)

I don't know what's wrong here. AFAICT it should just work, I've been
using `git pull --rebase` to keep my repo updated.

Cheers,
Carlos.
 in

* Re: Transition hppa from linuxthreads to nptl is ready to proceed.
@ 2009-09-08 18:35     ` Carlos O'Donell
From: Carlos O'Donell @ 2009-09-08 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Frysinger
  Cc: Debian HPPA Port List, linux-parisc, Aurelien Jarno,

On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 2:04 PM, Carlos O'Donell<carlos@systemhalted.org> wrote:
> git push -v
> Pushing to git://sourceware.org/git/glibc-ports.git

Oh gosh this was lame, I kept checking out "git://" urls when I meant
to checkout the "ssh://" url.

Checking out the "ssh://" url (for which I have keys to sourceware)
allowed me to checkin the patches.

Checked in here:
http://sourceware.org/git/?p=glibc-ports.git;a=commit;h=be0f2008ac41c83db39d1d1112c0392dbb8b18e9

Cheers,