* several sites through router
@ 2009-09-08 16:59 tony.chamberlain
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: tony.chamberlain @ 2009-09-08 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-ppp

We have several machines here among which are 192.168.5.66 and 192.168.5.68.
They each are running pptp and try to connect via pppd to another site
(actually in China) and establish a VPN.  Now the first machine connects
fine and sets up an VPN id of 10.0.0.26.  Problem is, the second just times
out.  It connects but never makes a connection.

What I think I finally figured out is that they are both going through router
W.X.Y.Z (I am leaving the IP address of this router anonymous which we use
to connect to the internet), so probably the VPN server in China gets confused
and does not realize it is a new machine, and so just ignores the connection
attempt or something.

Now I have control of all the machines, clients and server, and they are all
running poptop available through CentOS 4.5.  Is there anyway I can make the
server so it allowd multiple connections?  I do specify in the one client
IP address 10.0.0.26 and in the other 10.0.0.27.

Thanks

* Re: several sites through router
@ 2009-09-09  1:12 ` James Cameron
From: James Cameron @ 2009-09-09  1:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-ppp

This has nothing to do with pppd, but is a common problem with pptp,
in future ask on the pptpclient-devel mailing list instead.  Or even the
poptop (pptpd) mailing list.

Since I'm there anyway ... what you describe is a failure of the router
to use a unique call identifier when it readdresses the packets, or a
failure of the pptpd at the remote site to demultiplex the PPP over GRE
stream.

> Now I have control of all the machines, clients and server, and they
> are all running poptop available through CentOS 4.5.

You should use OpenVPN instead then.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/

* Re:  several sites through router
@ 2009-09-09 12:51 ` tony.chamberlain
From: tony.chamberlain @ 2009-09-09 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-ppp

Will openvpn allow you to assign IP address by user id?
I mean its true now that when I make the pppd call I can specify
(request) what address I want, but it would be nice if the server could
do the assigning.  Clients do rely on receiving the same IP address.
(I mean the same one, but each client gets a different IP).

@ 2009-09-09 13:21 ` Charlie Brady
From: Charlie Brady @ 2009-09-09 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-ppp

On Wed, 9 Sep 2009, tony.chamberlain@lemko.com wrote:

> Will openvpn allow you to assign IP address by user id?

This is not the right place to be asking questions about openvpn. Please
read the documentation, and find the appropriate support forum.