* Waiting complete insertion of usb device
@ 2009-09-15  9:13 Anthony Viallard
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Anthony Viallard @ 2009-09-15  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-hotplug

Hello list,

I'm working on a 3G USB dongle which offer tty to communicate with him.

I need to start a service when this dongle is plugged to my system. This
service uses tty (there are 4 tty (diag, cmd, data and for voice). So, i
need to waiting the complete insertion of the USB dongle before
launching it.

For now, i'm waiting the last tty (ttyUSB3) event, sleep 1 second and
launch the service. But i think my solution is pretty crap.

Is there a better way to do this ?

(I'm working with old architecture of hotplug: /bin/hotplug script which
launch /etc/hotplug.d/${SUBSYSTEM}/ scripts...)

Anthony.

* Re: Waiting complete insertion of usb device
@ 2009-09-15 15:28 ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2009-09-15 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-hotplug

On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 11:13:43AM +0200, Anthony Viallard wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I'm working on a 3G USB dongle which offer tty to communicate with him.
>
> I need to start a service when this dongle is plugged to my system. This
> service uses tty (there are 4 tty (diag, cmd, data and for voice). So, i
> need to waiting the complete insertion of the USB dongle before
> launching it.
>
> For now, i'm waiting the last tty (ttyUSB3) event, sleep 1 second and
> launch the service. But i think my solution is pretty crap.
>
> Is there a better way to do this ?
>
> (I'm working with old architecture of hotplug: /bin/hotplug script which
> launch /etc/hotplug.d/${SUBSYSTEM}/ scripts...)

That architecture is obsolete, and is not shipped, or supported by any
distro or developer, so you are on your own if you want to rely and use
it.

good luck,

greg k-h

* Re: Waiting complete insertion of usb device
@ 2009-09-16  7:38 ` Anthony Viallard
From: Anthony Viallard @ 2009-09-16  7:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-hotplug

Le 15/09/2009 17:28, Greg KH a écrit :
> On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 11:13:43AM +0200, Anthony Viallard wrote:
>
>> Hello list,
>>
>> I'm working on a 3G USB dongle which offer tty to communicate with him.
>>
>> I need to start a service when this dongle is plugged to my system. This
>> service uses tty (there are 4 tty (diag, cmd, data and for voice). So, i
>> need to waiting the complete insertion of the USB dongle before
>> launching it.
>>
>> For now, i'm waiting the last tty (ttyUSB3) event, sleep 1 second and
>> launch the service. But i think my solution is pretty crap.
>>
>> Is there a better way to do this ?
>>
>> (I'm working with old architecture of hotplug: /bin/hotplug script which
>> launch /etc/hotplug.d/${SUBSYSTEM}/ scripts...)
>>
> That architecture is obsolete, and is not shipped, or supported by any
> distro or developer, so you are on your own if you want to rely and use
> it.

do you mean my problem will be solved if i use udev ?

* Re: Waiting complete insertion of usb device
@ 2009-09-16 13:19 ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2009-09-16 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-hotplug

On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 09:38:56AM +0200, Anthony Viallard wrote:
> Le 15/09/2009 17:28, Greg KH a écrit :
> > On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 11:13:43AM +0200, Anthony Viallard wrote:
> >
> >> Hello list,
> >>
> >> I'm working on a 3G USB dongle which offer tty to communicate with him.
> >>
> >> I need to start a service when this dongle is plugged to my system. This
> >> service uses tty (there are 4 tty (diag, cmd, data and for voice). So, i
> >> need to waiting the complete insertion of the USB dongle before
> >> launching it.
> >>
> >> For now, i'm waiting the last tty (ttyUSB3) event, sleep 1 second and
> >> launch the service. But i think my solution is pretty crap.
> >>
> >> Is there a better way to do this ?
> >>
> >> (I'm working with old architecture of hotplug: /bin/hotplug script which
> >> launch /etc/hotplug.d/${SUBSYSTEM}/ scripts...)
> >>
> > That architecture is obsolete, and is not shipped, or supported by any
> > distro or developer, so you are on your own if you want to rely and use
> > it.
> >

> do you mean my problem will be solved if i use udev ?

It will make things easier, yes.