* howto downgrade ext4 to ext3
@ 2009-09-18 14:52 jehan procaccia
From: jehan procaccia @ 2009-09-18 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-ext4

some of you might have followed my miseries about quota support and ext4 ...
http://marc.info/?l=linux-ext4&m=125320312905576&w=2

Apparently the only sure and secure solution offered to me is to
downgrade my ext4 FS to ext3 :-( .
now , is there a procedure to do that ?
thanks .

* Re: howto downgrade ext4 to ext3
@ 2009-09-18 17:58 ` Theodore Tso
From: Theodore Tso @ 2009-09-18 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jehan procaccia; +Cc: linux-ext4

On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 04:52:53PM +0200, jehan procaccia wrote:
> some of you might have followed my miseries about quota support and ext4 ...
> http://marc.info/?l=linux-ext4&m=125320312905576&w=2
>
> Apparently the only sure and secure solution offered to me is to
> downgrade my ext4 FS to ext3 :-( .
> now , is there a procedure to do that ?

There isn't a procedure to do this, other than backup, reformat, and
restore.  Sorry about that; it's just one of those things we haven't
had the resources to create --- and it would not be a trivial task.

Looking at the problems you had, have you tried simply mounting your
ext4 filesystem with -o nodelalloc?  The RHEL5.4 kernel doesn't have
various delalloc patches, and I can certainly understand why Red Hat
might not be willing to try to engage in backporting all of the
delalloc fixes to its kernel, but you might be able to use the -o
nodelalloc feature to simply disable the ext4 feature which appears to
be causing the problem.  This will cause you to give up some
performance, but not as much as dropping back to ext3.

Regards,

	     	     	     		 - Ted

* Re: howto downgrade ext4 to ext3
@ 2009-09-18 18:24   ` Eric Sandeen
From: Eric Sandeen @ 2009-09-18 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Theodore Tso; +Cc: jehan procaccia, linux-ext4

Theodore Tso wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 04:52:53PM +0200, jehan procaccia wrote:
>> some of you might have followed my miseries about quota support and ext4 ...
>> http://marc.info/?l=linux-ext4&m=125320312905576&w=2
>>
>> Apparently the only sure and secure solution offered to me is to
>> downgrade my ext4 FS to ext3 :-( .
>> now , is there a procedure to do that ?
>
> There isn't a procedure to do this, other than backup, reformat, and
> restore.  Sorry about that; it's just one of those things we haven't
> had the resources to create --- and it would not be a trivial task.
>
> Looking at the problems you had, have you tried simply mounting your
> ext4 filesystem with -o nodelalloc?  The RHEL5.4 kernel doesn't have
> various delalloc patches, and I can certainly understand why Red Hat
> might not be willing to try to engage in backporting all of the
> delalloc fixes to its kernel, but you might be able to use the -o
> nodelalloc feature to simply disable the ext4 feature which appears to
> be causing the problem.  This will cause you to give up some
> performance, but not as much as dropping back to ext3.

Ah, that's a good idea I hadn't thought of, thanks.

Delalloc should be mostly ok in that kernel, but quota doesn't handle
it.  So dropping quota -or- dropping delalloc should suffice.

OTOH, the -o nodelalloc paths have not gotten a lot of test coverage, so
caveats apply.

-Eric

@ 2009-09-18 19:34     ` Theodore Tso
From: Theodore Tso @ 2009-09-18 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Sandeen; +Cc: jehan procaccia, linux-ext4

On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 01:24:32PM -0500, Eric Sandeen wrote:

> Delalloc should be mostly ok in that kernel, but quota doesn't handle
> it.  So dropping quota -or- dropping delalloc should suffice.
>
> OTOH, the -o nodelalloc paths have not gotten a lot of test coverage, so
> caveats apply.

I haven't dont a -o delalloc test in a while, but at one point,
probably about 2-3 months ago, I did do a regression test run using
the xfsqa test suite with -o delalloc.  Of course, just because
mainline -o delalloc has been tested doesn't say that much about RHEL
5.4's -o delalloc --- there's a reason why it was labelled a
Technology Preview on RHEL 5.4.  :-)

						 - Ted

* Re: howto downgrade ext4 to ext3
@ 2009-09-18 21:21       ` jehan procaccia
From: jehan procaccia @ 2009-09-18 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-ext4; +Cc: Theodore Tso, Eric Sandeen

Theodore Tso a écrit :
> On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 01:24:32PM -0500, Eric Sandeen wrote:
>
>> Delalloc should be mostly ok in that kernel, but quota doesn't handle
>> it.  So dropping quota -or- dropping delalloc should suffice.
>>
>> OTOH, the -o nodelalloc paths have not gotten a lot of test coverage, so
>> caveats apply.
>>

> I haven't dont a -o delalloc test in a while, but at one point,
> probably about 2-3 months ago, I did do a regression test run using
> the xfsqa test suite with -o delalloc.  Of course, just because
> mainline -o delalloc has been tested doesn't say that much about RHEL
> 5.4's -o delalloc --- there's a reason why it was labelled a
> Technology Preview on RHEL 5.4.  :-)
>
> 						 - Ted

I would love to test that option (-o nodelalloc) instead of move back to
ext3.
however I don't understand what it is ... Am I taking risk in term of
integrity of data if I set it ?, or just losing performances ?
anyway, I'am not sure it is available, when I search it in "man mount",
I can't find it, is it an undocumennted option ?
well it appears to be available as I set it on a test partition with
success apparently
$ mount
/dev/mapper/VolGroup03S2IA-LogVolS2ia01 on /disk00 type ext4dev
(rw,_netdev,acl,usrquota,grpquota,nodelalloc)

but now, how can I check that there's no more pb on that specific
partition( /disk00)?
 when kernel complains this way for example:
Sep 16 18:06:45 gizeh kernel: mpage_da_map_blocks block allocation
failed for inode 39419 at logical offset 0 with max blocks 2 with error
-122
Sep 16 18:06:45 gizeh kernel: This should not happen.!! Data will be lost
I've no indication from which partition that inode is. there's so many
error message like this that is won't be easy to tell that none  comes
from /disk00 .

thanks for your help .

* Re: howto downgrade ext4 to ext3
@ 2009-09-18 22:58         ` Theodore Tso
From: Theodore Tso @ 2009-09-18 22:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jehan procaccia; +Cc: linux-ext4, Eric Sandeen

On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 11:21:08PM +0200, jehan procaccia wrote:
> I would love to test that option (-o nodelalloc) instead of move back to
> ext3.
> however I don't understand what it is ... Am I taking risk in term of
> integrity of data if I set it ?, or just losing performances ?
> anyway, I'am not sure it is available, when I search it in "man mount",
> I can't find it, is it an undocumennted option ?

The mount man page is part of the util-linux package, and so it tends
to get updated a bit slower than the kernel.  The ext4 mount options
are fully documented in the kernel documentation; so if you install
the kernel-doc RPM, and look in the Documentation/filesystems/ext4.txt
you'll get a comprehensive list of ext4 mount options.  (Well, as
comprehensive as we can make it; occasionally we forget to update it,
but in general we've been pretty good at documenting everything.)

(Checking....)

Ugh, the description for nodelalloc in ext4.txt is pretty horrible;
it doesn't even parse as a valid English sentence.  I don't know how
that slipped by me (Mingming, Eric; can either of you see if your
respective companies can snag us a tech writer resource for a day or
two?), but I'll get that one fixed up.

Anyway, delayed allocation is a feature of ext4 which allow us to
delay allocating blocks until the very last minute --- when the VM
page writeback routine decides it times to write dirty pages to disk
(aka "cleaning pages", or "when the page cleaner runs" --- yeah, OS
programmers sometimes like to perpetuate some really horrible puns),
or when a program explicitly forces a file to be written to disk via
the fsync() system call.  This allows the block allocator to make more
intelligent decisions, which tends to avoid disk fragmentation and
tends to increase performance.  Delayed allocation is one of the
reasons why simply mounting an uncoverted ext2 or ext3 filesystem
using the ext4 file system driver can result in better performance.

The problem is that in older kernel programs, we didn't properly
account for quota.  Since we don't attempt to allocate files until
when the page cleaner runs, which could potentially be well after the
program which wrote the program has exited, the out-of-quota error
only gets noticed when the delayed allocation writepages function is
trying to clean up dirty pages.  This is a "should never happen
situation", and to avoid causing the VM to loop forever to write pages
where the write operation would never succeed, the writepages program
prints an extremely scary message and --- and then throws away the
user's data.

By using the nodelalloc mount option, ext4 will try to allocate blocks
while processing each and every write(2) system call.  This allows
quota to be checked right away, and if the user is over quota, the
write system call will return an error right away.  This is less
efficient in terms of CPU usage, and the block allocater will not be
able to do as good of a job, since it doesn't know how big the file
will ultimately be when it is doing block-by-block allocation.
However, it avoids the nasty bug that happens when the user has a
over-quota situation in the delalloc writepage function --- and it's
no worse than what ext3 does.

In more modern kernels, we've added quota checking in the write(2)
system call such that if we're not allocating the blocks right away,
so we don't know where the block will be located on disk, we charge
the block against user's quota right away, so the write(2) system call
can signal the over quota situation to the user program.
Unfortunately, these patches aren't present in the version of ext4
that was backported to RHEL 5.4.

> but now, how can I check that there's no more pb on that specific
> partition( /disk00)?
> when kernel complains this way for example:
> Sep 16 18:06:45 gizeh kernel: mpage_da_map_blocks block allocation
> failed for inode 39419 at logical offset 0 with max blocks 2 with error
> -122
> Sep 16 18:06:45 gizeh kernel: This should not happen.!! Data will be lost
> I've no indication from which partition that inode is. there's so many
> error message like this that is won't be easy to tell that none  comes
> from /disk00 .

Well, error code 122 is EDQUOT, or "Quota exceeded".  So it's very
likely that this some other partition.  This is a bug; we really
should print the disk that was involved, and not just inode number.
I'll fix that in future kernels (but of course that won't help you for
RHEL 5.4).  What you can do to prove this is to check a quota report,
and see which users are over quota.  You can then check all of your
ext4 partitions to see which has an inode 39419 which is owned by one
of your over-quota users, using debugfs:

   debugfs -c -R "stat <39419>" /dev/sdXXX

Hope this helps you understand what's going on.

							- Ted

* Re: howto downgrade ext4 to ext3
@ 2009-09-19 20:29           ` jehan procaccia
From: jehan procaccia @ 2009-09-19 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Theodore Tso; +Cc: linux-ext4, Eric Sandeen

Theodore Tso a écrit :
> On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 11:21:08PM +0200, jehan procaccia wrote:
>
>> I would love to test that option (-o nodelalloc) instead of move back to
>> ext3.
>> however I don't understand what it is ... Am I taking risk in term of
>> integrity of data if I set it ?, or just losing performances ?
>> anyway, I'am not sure it is available, when I search it in "man mount",
>> I can't find it, is it an undocumennted option ?
>>

> The mount man page is part of the util-linux package, and so it tends
> to get updated a bit slower than the kernel.  The ext4 mount options
> are fully documented in the kernel documentation; so if you install
> the kernel-doc RPM, and look in the Documentation/filesystems/ext4.txt
> you'll get a comprehensive list of ext4 mount options.  (Well, as
> comprehensive as we can make it; occasionally we forget to update it,
> but in general we've been pretty good at documenting everything.)
>
> (Checking....)
>
> Ugh, the description for nodelalloc in ext4.txt is pretty horrible;
> it doesn't even parse as a valid English sentence.  I don't know how
> that slipped by me (Mingming, Eric; can either of you see if your
> respective companies can snag us a tech writer resource for a day or
> two?), but I'll get that one fixed up.

indeed, there's not a lot, and not very well understandable :
$ less /usr/share/doc/kernel-doc-2.6.18/Documentation/filesystems/ext4.txt
delalloc        (*)     Deferring block allocation until write-out time.
nodelalloc              Disable delayed allocation. Blocks are allocation
                        when data is copied from user to page cache.
> Anyway, delayed allocation is a feature of ext4 which allow us to
> delay allocating blocks until the very last minute --- when the VM
> page writeback routine decides it times to write dirty pages to disk
> (aka "cleaning pages", or "when the page cleaner runs" --- yeah, OS
> programmers sometimes like to perpetuate some really horrible puns),
> or when a program explicitly forces a file to be written to disk via
> the fsync() system call.  This allows the block allocator to make more
> intelligent decisions, which tends to avoid disk fragmentation and
> tends to increase performance.  Delayed allocation is one of the
> reasons why simply mounting an uncoverted ext2 or ext3 filesystem
> using the ext4 file system driver can result in better performance.

OK, understood ...
> The problem is that in older kernel programs, we didn't properly
> account for quota.  Since we don't attempt to allocate files until
> when the page cleaner runs, which could potentially be well after the
> program which wrote the program has exited, the out-of-quota error
> only gets noticed when the delayed allocation writepages function is
> trying to clean up dirty pages.  This is a "should never happen
> situation", and to avoid causing the VM to loop forever to write pages
> where the write operation would never succeed, the writepages program
> prints an extremely scary message and --- and then throws away the
> user's data.

That chapter becomes a bit obscure to me ... If I well understood, you
described the situation I ran into ?
> By using the nodelalloc mount option, ext4 will try to allocate blocks
> while processing each and every write(2) system call.  This allows
> quota to be checked right away, and if the user is over quota, the
> write system call will return an error right away.  This is less
> efficient in terms of CPU usage, and the block allocater will not be
> able to do as good of a job, since it doesn't know how big the file
> will ultimately be when it is doing block-by-block allocation.
> However, it avoids the nasty bug that happens when the user has a
> over-quota situation in the delalloc writepage function --- and it's
> no worse than what ext3 does.

Ok, that's where I should go now by mounting with nodelalloc, lower
performances, but no more "should never happen situation" ;-) .
> In more modern kernels, we've added quota checking in the write(2)
> system call such that if we're not allocating the blocks right away,
> so we don't know where the block will be located on disk, we charge
> the block against user's quota right away, so the write(2) system call
> can signal the over quota situation to the user program.
> Unfortunately, these patches aren't present in the version of ext4
> that was backported to RHEL 5.4.

 From which kernel version you " 've added quota checking in the
write(2) system call" ?,
the problem should not arise anymore with recent kernel, and still using
delalloc ? 2.6.30 should be OK ?
for RHEL, there's fedora project that has more recent kernel packages in
source RPMS:
kernel-2.6.29.4-167.fc11.src.rpm or kernel-2.6.31-33.fc12.src.rpm
probably recompiling these for rhel 5.4 could be a workaround instead of
using nodelalloc ?
>> but now, how can I check that there's no more pb on that specific
>> partition( /disk00)?
>> when kernel complains this way for example:
>> Sep 16 18:06:45 gizeh kernel: mpage_da_map_blocks block allocation
>> failed for inode 39419 at logical offset 0 with max blocks 2 with error
>> -122
>> Sep 16 18:06:45 gizeh kernel: This should not happen.!! Data will be lost
>> I've no indication from which partition that inode is. there's so many
>> error message like this that is won't be easy to tell that none  comes
>> from /disk00 .
>>

> Well, error code 122 is EDQUOT, or "Quota exceeded".  So it's very
> likely that this some other partition.  This is a bug; we really
> should print the disk that was involved, and not just inode number.
> I'll fix that in future kernels (but of course that won't help you for
> RHEL 5.4).  What you can do to prove this is to check a quota report,
> and see which users are over quota.  You can then check all of your
> ext4 partitions to see which has an inode 39419 which is owned by one
> of your over-quota users, using debugfs:
>
>    debugfs -c -R "stat <39419>" /dev/sdXXX

good, indeed, I only get -122 errors, and thanks to the search example I
noticed that those error do happened only for apparently over-quota
users, here's an example:

gizeh kernel: mpage_da_map_blocks block allocation failed for inode
3542694 at logical offset 0 with max blocks 1 with error -122
Message from syslogd@ at Sat Sep 19 21:08:03 2009 ...

[root@gizeh ~]
$ debuge4fs -c -R "stat <3542694>" /dev/mapper/VolGroup02S2IA-LVVG02Users07
debuge4fs 1.41.5 (23-Apr-2009)
/dev/mapper/VolGroup02S2IA-LVVG02Users07: catastrophic mode - not
reading inode or group bitmaps
Inode: 3542694   Type: regular    Mode:  0644   Flags: 0x80000
Generation: 2336084861    Version: 0x00000000:00000001
User: 42658   Group:   426   Size: 0
File ACL: 0    Directory ACL: 0
Links: 1   Blockcount: 0
Fragment:  Address: 0    Number: 0    Size: 0
 ctime: 0x4ab52c13:81a9f0d4 -- Sat Sep 19 21:08:03 2009
 atime: 0x4ab52c13:816ce76c -- Sat Sep 19 21:08:03 2009
 mtime: 0x4ab52c13:816ce76c -- Sat Sep 19 21:08:03 2009
crtime: 0x4ab52c13:812fde04 -- Sat Sep 19 21:08:03 2009
Size of extra inode fields: 28
BLOCKS:

[root@gizeh ~]
$ getent passwd |grep 42658
karipha:x:42658:426:Karipha BOUMER:/mci/mast2008/karipha:/usr/local/bin/bash
[root@gizeh ~]
$ quota -s karipha
Disk quotas for user karipha (uid 42658):
     Filesystem  blocks   quota   limit   grace   files   quota
limit   grace
/dev/mapper/VolGroup02S2IA-LVVG02Users07
                   603M*   489M    538M   39:07    6622   50000   55000

$ find /disk07 -inum 3542694
/disk07/mast2008/karipha/.recently-used.xbel

Other inodes incriminated showed the same result -> over-quota . So if
user data finally cannot be written, after all ... quota wouldn't allow
it anyway .

> Hope this helps you understand what's going on.
> 							- Ted

Yes, thanks for that detailed answer.
regards , jehan .

* Re: howto downgrade ext4 to ext3
@ 2009-09-20  1:14             ` Eric Sandeen
From: Eric Sandeen @ 2009-09-20  1:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jehan.procaccia; +Cc: Theodore Tso, linux-ext4

jehan procaccia wrote:

> [root@gizeh ~]
> $ getent passwd |grep 42658
> karipha:x:42658:426:Karipha
> BOUMER:/mci/mast2008/karipha:/usr/local/bin/bash
> [root@gizeh ~]
> $ quota -s karipha
> Disk quotas for user karipha (uid 42658):
>     Filesystem  blocks   quota   limit   grace   files   quota   limit
> grace
> /dev/mapper/VolGroup02S2IA-LVVG02Users07
>                   603M*   489M    538M   39:07    6622   50000   55000
>
> $ find /disk07 -inum 3542694
> /disk07/mast2008/karipha/.recently-used.xbel
>
> Other inodes incriminated showed the same result -> over-quota . So if
> user data finally cannot be written, after all ... quota wouldn't allow
> it anyway .

The unfortunate thing in your situation though is that the user
-thought- it did get written, just FYI.

When quota is working properly, the denial is obvious up front.

-Eric

@ 2009-09-22 15:31               ` jehan procaccia
From: jehan procaccia @ 2009-09-22 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Sandeen; +Cc: Theodore Tso, linux-ext4

Eric Sandeen a écrit :
> jehan procaccia wrote:
>> Other inodes incriminated showed the same result -> over-quota . So
>> if user data finally cannot be written, after all ... quota wouldn't
>> allow it anyway .
>
> The unfortunate thing in your situation though is that the user
> -thought- it did get written, just FYI.
>
> When quota is working properly, the denial is obvious up front.
OK, indeed it's not fair for the users !
I had the time to experiment an ext4 FS mounted with -nodelalloc, and
now quotas seems to work fine with it ;-) .

here's a test on a FS  mounted with -nodelalloc
while writing with dd for an amount of data between interval soft 300M
and hard  330M, it worked fine:

[test@b03-05 ~]$ dd if=/dev/zero of=./big-101M.dd bs=1024 count=101000
103424000 octets (103 MB) copiés, 9,06256 s, 11,4 MB/s
$ quota -s test
/dev/mapper/VolGroup03S2IA-LogVolS2ia01
                  317M*   293M    323M   7days    1760       0       0

Then, user "test" writes another 100 Mb and fails as expected :

[test@b03-05 ~]$ dd if=/dev/zero of=./big-102M.dd bs=1024 count=102000
dd: fermeture du fichier de sortie `./big-102M.dd': Débordement du
quota d'espace disque
$ quota -s test
/dev/mapper/VolGroup03S2IA-LogVolS2ia01
                  323M*   293M    323M   6days    1761       0       0
[root@gizeh /disk00/test/test]
$ ll big*
-rw-r--r-- 1 test mci 103424000 Sep 21 11:11 big-101M.dd
-rw-r--r-- 1 test mci  35729408 Sep 21 11:13 big-102M.dd

however in terms of performances, it seriously drops (nearly 50% !)
with -nodelalloc on the NFS disk server, here's a simple local dd write
test:

ext4 -nodelalloc
[root@gizeh /disk00]
$ dd if=/dev/zero of=./big-300M.dd bs=1024 count=300000
307200000 bytes (307 MB) copied, 1.20125 seconds, 256 MB/s

ext4 -delalloc
[root@gizeh /disk01]
$ dd if=/dev/zero of=./big-300M.dd bs=1024 count=300000
307200000 bytes (307 MB) copied, 0.752382 seconds, 408 MB/s

however, the same test from an NFS workstation shows very small
differences between partition mounted with nodelalloc and delalloc:

-nodealloc + NFS
$ dd if=/dev/zero of=./big-100M.dd bs=1024 count=100000
102400000 octets (102 MB) copiés, 9,09703 s, 11,3 MB/s

delalloc + NFS
$ dd if=/dev/zero of=./big-100M.dd bs=1024 count=100000
102400000 octets (102 MB) copiés, 9,00392 s, 11,4 MB/s

I supose that NFS is the bottleneck !

I will announce a maintenance on that server in order to remount  my 12
x 200GB partitions with -nodelalloc, if ever performances drops too much
, then I'll probably choose to set quotas off until a redhat kernel
package provides a solution .

does 2.6.31 already patche to deal correclty with delalloc and quotas ?

@ 2009-09-22 15:33                 ` Eric Sandeen
From: Eric Sandeen @ 2009-09-22 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jehan.procaccia; +Cc: Theodore Tso, linux-ext4

jehan procaccia wrote:

> I had the time to experiment an ext4 FS mounted with -nodelalloc, and
> now quotas seems to work fine with it ;-) .

> I will announce a maintenance on that server in order to remount  my 12
> x 200GB partitions with -nodelalloc, if ever performances drops too much
> , then I'll probably choose to set quotas off until a redhat kernel
> package provides a solution .
>
> does 2.6.31 already patche to deal correclty with delalloc and quotas ?

Mostly fixed in .31, although there is a recent thread on this list,
"ext4+quota+nfs issue"

For your purposes, I expect this will all get sorted out by RHEL5.5's
time :)

-Eric