* 'git am' doubt
@ 2009-09-23 22:20 Thiago Farina
From: Thiago Farina @ 2009-09-23 22:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm trying to apply a patch from the mailing list using 'git am'.

What I'm doing is:

- In gmail:
 - Save original, then I copied the content to a text editor.
- In text editor:
 - Remove the first empty line.
 - Save the file in the same directory where I have the git source.
- In git directory:
 - $ git am -s ./filename.mbox

Of course I'm doing something wrong here, but I don't know what.
The error is:
cat: /home/tfarina/git/.git/rebase-apply/next: No such file or directory
previous rebase directory /home/tfarina/git/.git/rebase-apply still
exists but mbox given.

Sorry if this is already answered before in this mailing list, but I
couldn't find it.

Thanks anyway for the time and help.

* Re: 'git am' doubt
@ 2009-09-23 23:54 ` David Aguilar
From: David Aguilar @ 2009-09-23 23:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 07:20:53PM -0300, Thiago Farina wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to apply a patch from the mailing list using 'git am'.
>
> What I'm doing is:
>
> - In gmail:
>  - Save original, then I copied the content to a text editor.
> - In text editor:
>  - Remove the first empty line.
>  - Save the file in the same directory where I have the git source.
> - In git directory:
>  - $ git am -s ./filename.mbox
>
> Of course I'm doing something wrong here, but I don't know what.
> The error is:
> cat: /home/tfarina/git/.git/rebase-apply/next: No such file or directory
> previous rebase directory /home/tfarina/git/.git/rebase-apply still
> exists but mbox given.

Perhaps you tried this previously and 'git am' failed?
In which case, run 'git am --abort'.

Now.. I've _never_ had luck saving patches out of gmail.
But, I've had good luck with its imap interface.
I use mutt, save emails to an mbox file, and use 'git am'
on them.  This has worked great for me.

For sending emails to the list, I use msmtp and a
~/.gitconfig setting:

[sendemail]
        smtpserver = /usr/bin/msmtp

Then it's simply 'git send-email <patch-file>'.

Here's a random page explaining how to use mutt with gmail.
http://shreevatsa.wordpress.com/2007/07/31/using-gmail-with-mutt-the-minimal-way/

I can send you my .muttrc if that helps.

Here's the git wiki page about msmtp, gmail, and
git-send-email:

http://git-scm.org/gitwiki/GitTips#Usingmsmtptosendyourpatches

--

	David

* Re: 'git am' doubt
@ 2009-09-24 14:09   ` Thiago Farina
From: Thiago Farina @ 2009-09-24 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 8:54 PM, David Aguilar <davvid@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 07:20:53PM -0300, Thiago Farina wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm trying to apply a patch from the mailing list using 'git am'.
>>
>> What I'm doing is:
>>
>> - In gmail:
>>  - Save original, then I copied the content to a text editor.
>> - In text editor:
>>  - Remove the first empty line.
>>  - Save the file in the same directory where I have the git source.
>> - In git directory:
>>  - $ git am -s ./filename.mbox
>>
>> Of course I'm doing something wrong here, but I don't know what.
>> The error is:
>> cat: /home/tfarina/git/.git/rebase-apply/next: No such file or directory
>> previous rebase directory /home/tfarina/git/.git/rebase-apply still
>> exists but mbox given.
>

> Perhaps you tried this previously and 'git am' failed?
> In which case, run 'git am --abort'.
I didn't try before.

> Now.. I've _never_ had luck saving patches out of gmail.
> But, I've had good luck with its imap interface.
> I use mutt, save emails to an mbox file, and use 'git am'
> on them.  This has worked great for me.
Yeah, I tried with Evolution, and it worked for me, so the problem was
with Gmail.

> For sending emails to the list, I use msmtp and a
> ~/.gitconfig setting:
>

> [sendemail]
>        smtpserver = /usr/bin/msmtp
>

> Then it's simply 'git send-email <patch-file>'.
>

> Here's a random page explaining how to use mutt with gmail.
> http://shreevatsa.wordpress.com/2007/07/31/using-gmail-with-mutt-the-minimal-way/
>
> I can send you my .muttrc if that helps.
I'm using send-email to send my patches too. If you could, send me
your .muttrc, I will appreciate, may be I can try to use it instead of
Evolution.

Thanks for your help. ;)