* [GIT PULL] block updates for 2.6.32-rc
@ 2009-09-30 17:41 Jens Axboe
From: Jens Axboe @ 2009-09-30 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linus Torvalds; +Cc: Linux Kernel

Hi Linus,

This looks huge, but it's mostly a cciss driver update and the addition
of drbd. I would have submitted this before -rc1, but Plumbers got in
the way.

Apart from that, it includes the discard bits from Christoph and a few
trivial updates and fixes.

Please pull.

  git://git.kernel.dk/linux-2.6-block.git for-linus

Alexander Beregalov (1):
      cciss: fix build when !PROC_FS

Alexey Dobriyan (2):
      cpqarray: switch to seq_file
      dac960: switch to seq_file

Andrew Patterson (3):
      cciss: Remove sysfs entries for logical drives on driver cleanup.
      cciss: Use one scan thread per controller and fix hang during rmmod
      cciss: Allow triggering of rescan of logical drive topology via sysfs entry

Christoph Hellwig (2):
      block: use normal I/O path for discard requests
      block: allow large discard requests

H Hartley Sweeten (1):
      fs/bio.c: move EXPORT* macros to line after function

Jens Axboe (3):
      cciss: cciss_host_attr_groups should be const
      Merge branch 'for-jens' of git://git.drbd.org/linux-2.6-drbd into for-linus
      Merge branch 'for-jens' of git://git.drbd.org/linux-2.6-drbd into for-linus

Jun'ichi Nomura (1):
      Add a tracepoint for block request remapping

Lars Ellenberg (1):
      dropping unneeded include autoconf.h

Martin K. Petersen (2):
      block: Set max_sectors correctly for stacking devices
      block: Do not clamp max_hw_sectors for stacking devices

Philipp Reisner (1):
      The DRBD driver

Randy Dunlap (1):
      cciss: fix schedule_timeout() parameters

Stephen M. Cameron (17):
      cciss: Remove some unused code in rebuild_lun_table()
      cciss: Dynamically allocate struct device for each logical drive as needed.
      cciss: Rearrange logical drive sysfs code to make the "changing a disk" path work.
      cciss: Handle failure of blk_init_queue gracefully in cciss_add_disk.
      cciss: Handle cases when cciss_add_disk fails.
      cciss: Handle special case for sysfs attributes of the first logical drive.
      cciss: Clear all sysfs-exposed data for deleted logical drives.
      cciss: Fix usage_count check in rebuild_lun_table when triggered via sysfs.
      cciss: Fix excessive gendisk freeing bug on driver unload.
      cciss: Silence noisy per-disk messages output by cciss_read_capacity
      cciss: Preserve all 8 bytes of LUN ID for logical drives.
      cciss: Don't check h->busy_initializing in cciss_open().
      cciss: Add lunid attribute to each logical drive in /sys
      cciss: fix some magic numbers in the raid-level decoding
      cciss: Add a "raid_level" attribute to each logical drive in /sys
      cciss: Add usage_count attribute to each logical drive in /sys
      cciss: Dynamically allocate the drive_info_struct for each logical drive.

Suresh Jayaraman (1):
      swapfile: avoid NULL pointer dereference in swapon when s_bdev is NULL

Zdenek Kabelac (1):
      Add missing blk_trace_remove_sysfs to be in pair with blk_trace_init_sysfs

 .../ABI/testing/sysfs-bus-pci-devices-cciss        |   28 +
 .../blockdev/drbd/DRBD-8.3-data-packets.svg        |  588 +++
 Documentation/blockdev/drbd/DRBD-data-packets.svg  |  459 ++
 Documentation/blockdev/drbd/README.txt             |   16 +
 Documentation/blockdev/drbd/conn-states-8.dot      |   18 +
 Documentation/blockdev/drbd/disk-states-8.dot      |   16 +
 .../drbd/drbd-connection-state-overview.dot        |   85 +
 Documentation/blockdev/drbd/node-states-8.dot      |   14 +
 MAINTAINERS                                        |   13 +
 block/blk-barrier.c                                |   45 +-
 block/blk-core.c                                   |    7 +-
 block/blk-settings.c                               |   34 +-
 block/blk-sysfs.c                                  |   11 +-
 drivers/block/DAC960.c                             |  156 +-
 drivers/block/Kconfig                              |    2 +
 drivers/block/Makefile                             |    1 +
 drivers/block/cciss.c                              |  753 +++-
 drivers/block/cciss.h                              |   12 +-
 drivers/block/cpqarray.c                           |   63 +-
 drivers/block/drbd/Kconfig                         |   82 +
 drivers/block/drbd/Makefile                        |    8 +
 drivers/block/drbd/drbd_actlog.c                   | 1484 +++++++
 drivers/block/drbd/drbd_bitmap.c                   | 1327 ++++++
 drivers/block/drbd/drbd_int.h                      | 2258 ++++++++++
 drivers/block/drbd/drbd_main.c                     | 3734 ++++++++++++++++
 drivers/block/drbd/drbd_nl.c                       | 2364 +++++++++++
 drivers/block/drbd/drbd_proc.c                     |  265 ++
 drivers/block/drbd/drbd_receiver.c                 | 4455 ++++++++++++++++++++
 drivers/block/drbd/drbd_req.c                      | 1131 +++++
 drivers/block/drbd/drbd_req.h                      |  326 ++
 drivers/block/drbd/drbd_strings.c                  |  113 +
 drivers/block/drbd/drbd_tracing.c                  |  752 ++++
 drivers/block/drbd/drbd_tracing.h                  |   87 +
 drivers/block/drbd/drbd_vli.h                      |  351 ++
 drivers/block/drbd/drbd_worker.c                   | 1528 +++++++
 drivers/block/drbd/drbd_wrappers.h                 |   91 +
 drivers/mtd/mtd_blkdevs.c                          |   19 +-
 drivers/staging/dst/dcore.c                        |    2 +-
 fs/bio.c                                           |   49 +-
 include/linux/blkdev.h                             |    9 +-
 include/linux/blktrace_api.h                       |    2 +
 include/linux/drbd.h                               |  349 ++
 include/linux/drbd_limits.h                        |  137 +
 include/linux/drbd_nl.h                            |  137 +
 include/linux/drbd_tag_magic.h                     |   83 +
 include/linux/lru_cache.h                          |  294 ++
 include/trace/events/block.h                       |   33 +
 kernel/trace/blktrace.c                            |   39 +
 lib/Kconfig                                        |    3 +
 lib/Makefile                                       |    2 +
 lib/lru_cache.c                                    |  560 +++
 mm/swapfile.c                                      |   12 +-
 create mode 100644 Documentation/blockdev/drbd/DRBD-8.3-data-packets.svg
 create mode 100644 Documentation/blockdev/drbd/DRBD-data-packets.svg
 create mode 100644 Documentation/blockdev/drbd/README.txt
 create mode 100644 Documentation/blockdev/drbd/conn-states-8.dot
 create mode 100644 Documentation/blockdev/drbd/disk-states-8.dot
 create mode 100644 Documentation/blockdev/drbd/drbd-connection-state-overview.dot
 create mode 100644 Documentation/blockdev/drbd/node-states-8.dot
 create mode 100644 drivers/block/drbd/Kconfig
 create mode 100644 drivers/block/drbd/Makefile
 create mode 100644 drivers/block/drbd/drbd_actlog.c
 create mode 100644 drivers/block/drbd/drbd_bitmap.c
 create mode 100644 drivers/block/drbd/drbd_int.h
 create mode 100644 drivers/block/drbd/drbd_main.c
 create mode 100644 drivers/block/drbd/drbd_nl.c
 create mode 100644 drivers/block/drbd/drbd_proc.c
 create mode 100644 drivers/block/drbd/drbd_receiver.c
 create mode 100644 drivers/block/drbd/drbd_req.c
 create mode 100644 drivers/block/drbd/drbd_req.h
 create mode 100644 drivers/block/drbd/drbd_strings.c
 create mode 100644 drivers/block/drbd/drbd_tracing.c
 create mode 100644 drivers/block/drbd/drbd_tracing.h
 create mode 100644 drivers/block/drbd/drbd_vli.h
 create mode 100644 drivers/block/drbd/drbd_worker.c
 create mode 100644 drivers/block/drbd/drbd_wrappers.h
 create mode 100644 include/linux/drbd.h
 create mode 100644 include/linux/drbd_limits.h
 create mode 100644 include/linux/drbd_nl.h
 create mode 100644 include/linux/drbd_tag_magic.h
 create mode 100644 include/linux/lru_cache.h
 create mode 100644 lib/lru_cache.c

--
Jens Axboe

* Re: [GIT PULL] block updates for 2.6.32-rc
@ 2009-09-30 19:39 ` Christoph Hellwig
From: Christoph Hellwig @ 2009-09-30 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jens Axboe; +Cc: Linus Torvalds, Linux Kernel

On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 07:41:10PM +0200, Jens Axboe wrote:
> Hi Linus,
>
> This looks huge, but it's mostly a cciss driver update and the addition
> of drbd. I would have submitted this before -rc1, but Plumbers got in
> the way.

And DRBD is defintively not ready.  Even if people want to merge another
duplicate RAID driver including another crappy user interface it has
tracing stuff of a form that would let Ingo go beserk and also uses the
stupid connector.

* Re: [GIT PULL] block updates for 2.6.32-rc
@ 2009-10-01  7:05   ` Jens Axboe
From: Jens Axboe @ 2009-10-01  7:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christoph Hellwig; +Cc: Linus Torvalds, Linux Kernel

On Wed, Sep 30 2009, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 07:41:10PM +0200, Jens Axboe wrote:
> > Hi Linus,
> >
> > This looks huge, but it's mostly a cciss driver update and the addition
> > of drbd. I would have submitted this before -rc1, but Plumbers got in
> > the way.
>
> And DRBD is defintively not ready.  Even if people want to merge another
> duplicate RAID driver including another crappy user interface it has
> tracing stuff of a form that would let Ingo go beserk and also uses the
> stupid connector.

Can we get rid of the connector? Didn't look very closely, but looks
kinda stuck with it. I killed the tracing bits, agree on that.

--

@ 2009-10-01  9:23     ` Lars Ellenberg
From: Lars Ellenberg @ 2009-10-01  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jens Axboe; +Cc: Christoph Hellwig, Linus Torvalds, Linux Kernel

On Thu, Oct 01, 2009 at 09:05:49AM +0200, Jens Axboe wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 30 2009, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> > On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 07:41:10PM +0200, Jens Axboe wrote:
> > > Hi Linus,
> > >
> > > This looks huge, but it's mostly a cciss driver update and the addition
> > > of drbd. I would have submitted this before -rc1, but Plumbers got in
> > > the way.
> >
> > And DRBD is defintively not ready.  Even if people want to merge another
> > duplicate RAID driver including another crappy user interface it has
> > tracing stuff of a form that would let Ingo go beserk and also uses the
> > stupid connector.
>
> Can we get rid of the connector? Didn't look very closely, but looks
> kinda stuck with it. I killed the tracing bits, agree on that.

Thanks for killing the tracing bits ;)
We might add trace_events at appropriate places later,
once we need them again.

Getting rid of the connector: If we have to, the easiest way for us
would be to switch to genetlink.  I can prepare such a change.

--
: Lars Ellenberg

* Re: [GIT PULL] block updates for 2.6.32-rc
@ 2009-10-01 18:44 ` Linus Torvalds
From: Linus Torvalds @ 2009-10-01 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jens Axboe; +Cc: Linux Kernel

On Wed, 30 Sep 2009, Jens Axboe wrote:

> This looks huge, but it's mostly a cciss driver update and the addition
> of drbd. I would have submitted this before -rc1, but Plumbers got in
> the way.

I'm perfectly happy to pull drbd, but please do it for the next merge
window. There's been enough discussion about it that I think we'll be
better off giving it some time.

		Linus

* Re: [GIT PULL] block updates for 2.6.32-rc
@ 2009-10-01 18:59   ` Jens Axboe
From: Jens Axboe @ 2009-10-01 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linus Torvalds; +Cc: Linux Kernel

On Thu, Oct 01 2009, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Sep 2009, Jens Axboe wrote:
> >
> > This looks huge, but it's mostly a cciss driver update and the addition
> > of drbd. I would have submitted this before -rc1, but Plumbers got in
> > the way.
>
> I'm perfectly happy to pull drbd, but please do it for the next merge
> window. There's been enough discussion about it that I think we'll be
> better off giving it some time.

Alright, your call. I'll move the drbd driver to a for-2.6.33 branch.
The tracing bits are already gone, this will give them plenty of time to
kill the connector bits too.

--

@ 2009-09-30 23:25 devzero
From: devzero @ 2009-09-30 23:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel; +Cc: Christoph Hellwig, Jens Axboe

>> Hi Linus,
>>
>> This looks huge, but it's mostly a cciss driver update and the addition
>> of drbd. I would have submitted this before -rc1, but Plumbers got in
>> the way.
>
>And DRBD is defintively not ready.  Even if people want to merge another
>duplicate RAID driver including another crappy user interface it has
>tracing stuff of a form that would let Ingo go beserk and also uses the
>stupid connector.

so, if DRBD is too ugly to be merged, i wonder why it`s not put in staging
then before other kernel devs find yet another reason for not merging it
at all. if they want it to be cleaned up, they can do it there or they can
make the driver maintainer do it. or they can do it together. or they can
let just sit it there until greg complains :)

all in all, it`s better than letting brilliant things like these live outside the
kernel tree. (which is more than 8 yrs now for DRBD)

What the Linux Staging tree is
The Linux Staging tree (or just "staging" from now on) is used to hold
stand-alone drivers and filesystems that are not ready to be merged into
the main portion of the Linux kernel tree at this point in time for various
technical reasons. It is contained within the main Linux kernel tree so that
users can get access to the drivers much easier than before, and to provide
a common place for the development to happen, resolving the "hundreds
of different download sites" problem that most out-of-tree drivers have had
in the past.

( taken from http://www.kroah.com/log/linux/linux-staging-update.html )