* clustered snapshots
@ 2009-09-28 23:16 Mikulas Patocka
From: Mikulas Patocka @ 2009-09-28 23:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Brassow; +Cc: Mike Snitzer, dm-devel, Alasdair G Kergon

Hi

I uploaded my test clustered snapshots to
http://people.redhat.com/mpatocka/patches/kernel/clustered-snapshots-preview/

My patches take different approach from Jon's patches. My patches
basically replace down_write(&s->lock) and up_write(&s->lock) with
clusterized locking.

If there are pending exceptions, the cluster lock must be held while the
local lock is unlocked. The cluster lock is droppen when all pending
exceptions are reallocated and the local lock is dropped.

The patches are based on my & Mike's merging.

These patches are less invasive than Jon's, they area small, they don't
change so much logic and most importantly, they leave merging as it is.

Note that it was never tried in a cluster because I don't have a cluster!!
So there may be a silly bug that makes it not work at all. The purpose of
the patches is to show different simpler approach to clustering. You
should test it and debug it.

TODO:
- implement lock caching (Jon's task for his dm-lock module)
- once we implement it, we can implement selective re-read --- i.e. don't
reread the exceptions if the cluster lock was not taken by any other node
- in a few cases we could optimize it to use readlock or only local lock
- implemented cluster merging

Mikulas

* clustered snapshots
@ 2011-04-26  9:18 Christian Motschke
From: Christian Motschke @ 2011-04-26  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lvm-devel

Hi,

I tried the unstable packages of lvm2 in debian with support for clustered snapshots (2.02.84) (I looked at the sources, the patch is included). It is unusable (at least for me ;-).
I have corosync and clvm with openais support running. Locking type is set to 3 in lvm.conf. I have only 1 server with clvm in this test setup. I hope this is not the problem.

What I did:
gcc:~# vgchange -cy vgtest
  Volume group "vgtest" successfully changed
gcc:~# vgdisplay -C
  VG     #PV #LV #SN Attr   VSize VFree
  vgtest   1   1   0 wz--nc 4.00g 3.00g
gcc:~# lvdisplay -C
  LV      VG     Attr   LSize Origin Snap%  Move Log Copy%  Convert
  test-lv vgtest -wi-a- 1.00g
gcc:~#

gcc:~# lvchange -aey vgtest/test-lv
gcc:~# lvcreate -s -n test-lv-snap -L 100m vgtest/test-lv
  Logical volume "test-lv-snap" created
gcc:~# lvdisplay -C
  LV           VG     Attr   LSize   Origin  Snap%  Move Log Copy%  Convert
  test-lv      vgtest owi-a-   1.00g
  test-lv-snap vgtest swi-a- 100.00m test-lv 100.00

So, after I created the snapshot it is immediately disabled and 100% full. What am I doing wrong?

With kind regards.
Christian Motschke