* BUG? linux-mips flush_dcache_page
@ 2009-10-16  5:17 Minchan Kim
From: Minchan Kim @ 2009-10-16  5:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ralf Baechle, Atsushi Nemoto; +Cc: lkml, linux-mips, Chungki woo

Hi, Ralf.

I suffered form data consistency problem.

Many code of kernel fs usually allocate high page and flush.
But flush_dcache_page of mips checks PageHighMem to avoid flush
so that data consistency is broken, I think.

I found it's by you and Atsushi-san on 585fa724.
Why do we need the check?
Could you elaborte please?

--
Kind regards,
Minchan Kim

* Re: BUG? linux-mips flush_dcache_page
@ 2009-10-16  9:24 ` Ralf Baechle
From: Ralf Baechle @ 2009-10-16  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Minchan Kim; +Cc: Atsushi Nemoto, lkml, linux-mips, Chungki woo

On Fri, Oct 16, 2009 at 02:17:19PM +0900, Minchan Kim wrote:

> Many code of kernel fs usually allocate high page and flush.
> But flush_dcache_page of mips checks PageHighMem to avoid flush
> so that data consistency is broken, I think.

What processor and cache configuration?

> I found it's by you and Atsushi-san on 585fa724.
> Why do we need the check?
> Could you elaborte please?

The if statement exists because __flush_dcache_page would crash if a page
is not mapped.  This of course isn't correct but that wasn't a problem
since highmem still is only supported on machines that don't have aliases.

  Ralf

* Re: BUG? linux-mips flush_dcache_page
@ 2009-10-16 10:43   ` Minchan Kim
From: Minchan Kim @ 2009-10-16 10:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ralf Baechle; +Cc: Atsushi Nemoto, lkml, linux-mips, Chungki woo

On Fri, Oct 16, 2009 at 6:24 PM, Ralf Baechle <ralf@linux-mips.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 16, 2009 at 02:17:19PM +0900, Minchan Kim wrote:
>
>> Many code of kernel fs usually allocate high page and flush.
>> But flush_dcache_page of mips checks PageHighMem to avoid flush
>> so that data consistency is broken, I think.
>
> What processor and cache configuration?

Chungki. Could you anwer this question ?

>> I found it's by you and Atsushi-san on 585fa724.
>> Why do we need the check?
>> Could you elaborte please?
>
> The if statement exists because __flush_dcache_page would crash if a page
> is not mapped.  This of course isn't correct but that wasn't a problem
> since highmem still is only supported on machines that don't have aliases.

Thansk for good explanation.
Chungki. Please let us know your machine(processor and cache configuration)

--
Kind regards,
Minchan Kim