* Leon patches...
@ 2009-11-02 12:24 David Miller
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: David Miller @ 2009-11-02 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sparclinux

Konrad, I've just done a review of the two pending Leon patches.
Sorry for taking so long.

The SMP patch looks fine, I've applied it to sparc-next-2.6 and am
doing some build validation tests before pushing it out to kernel.org

The AMBA device patch needs a little bit of work.

I think you should create a CONFIG_AMBA in drivera/ambapp/Kconfig
that protects everything.  CONFIG_AMBA should "depends on SPARC_LEON"

Then drivers/Makefile should only traverse down into ambapp/
if CONFIG_AMBA is set, just as we do for other bus layers such
as PCI.

Fix that up and I'll try to add the Amba patch into sparc-next-2.6
too, thanks!

Thanks.

* Re: Leon patches...
@ 2009-11-02 13:08 ` David Miller
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: David Miller @ 2009-11-02 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sparclinux

From: Konrad Eisele <konrad@gaisler.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 2009 14:13:35 +0100

> We are currently trying to rewrite this patch anyway:
> kristoffer@gaisler.com sent the uart driver (that was included
> in the AMBA device patch) to linux-serial instead. He seem to have
> rewritten it so that it was only dependent on Openfirmware, not the
> AMBA plug and play scanning. So, I'll have to rewrite this patch
> anyway
> and take that driver out. What remains will be the AMBA p&p scanning.

What prevents all AMBA drivers from using openfirmware?

That would be the ideal situation.

> Can you until then postphone the AMBA device patch so that
> it (the new patch to be sent) might be applied at a later time?

I'll just apply the Leon SMP patch for now, and then I'll apply
the updated device stuff when you send it to me.

Thanks.

* Re: Leon patches...
@ 2009-11-02 13:13 ` Konrad Eisele
From: Konrad Eisele @ 2009-11-02 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sparclinux

David Miller wrote:
> Konrad, I've just done a review of the two pending Leon patches.
> Sorry for taking so long.
>
> The SMP patch looks fine, I've applied it to sparc-next-2.6 and am
> doing some build validation tests before pushing it out to kernel.org

O, that is great news.

> The AMBA device patch needs a little bit of work.
>
> I think you should create a CONFIG_AMBA in drivera/ambapp/Kconfig
> that protects everything.  CONFIG_AMBA should "depends on SPARC_LEON"
>
> Then drivers/Makefile should only traverse down into ambapp/
> if CONFIG_AMBA is set, just as we do for other bus layers such
> as PCI.
>
> Fix that up and I'll try to add the Amba patch into sparc-next-2.6
> too, thanks!

I'll do that in the new version of the patch.
We are currently trying to rewrite this patch anyway:
kristoffer@gaisler.com sent the uart driver (that was included
in the AMBA device patch) to linux-serial instead. He seem to have
rewritten it so that it was only dependent on Openfirmware, not the
AMBA plug and play scanning. So, I'll have to rewrite this patch anyway
and take that driver out. What remains will be the AMBA p&p scanning.

It'll take a  while to get a new patch.
Can you until then postphone the AMBA device patch so that
it (the new patch to be sent) might be applied at a later time?

-- Greetings Konrad

> Thanks.

* Re: Leon patches...
@ 2009-11-02 13:19 ` Kristoffer Glembo
From: Kristoffer Glembo @ 2009-11-02 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sparclinux

David Miller wrote:

> What prevents all AMBA drivers from using openfirmware?
>
> That would be the ideal situation.

We are working on converting our device drivers to only depend on OF.
Currently only the UART and Ethernet are done. I will send the Ethernet
driver to netdev pretty soon. As Konrad said I posted the UART driver to
linux-serial. I haven't gotten any response or feedback though, and I'm
not sure who is the responsible maintainer for the serial subsystem. Is
it possible to push it through sparc-next instead? In that case I can
send the patch to this list.

Still, the code that scans the bus and creates the device tree must
reside somewhere and that is what we want to clean up and put in
drivers/ambapp.

Thanks,
Kristoffer

* Re: Leon patches...
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-11-02 13:35 ` David Miller
From: David Miller @ 2009-11-02 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sparclinux

From: Kristoffer Glembo <kristoffer@gaisler.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 2009 14:19:48 +0100

> David Miller wrote:
>> What prevents all AMBA drivers from using openfirmware?
>> That would be the ideal situation.
>>

> We are working on converting our device drivers to only depend on
> OF. Currently only the UART and Ethernet are done. I will send the
> Ethernet driver to netdev pretty soon. As Konrad said I posted the
> UART driver to linux-serial. I haven't gotten any response or feedback
> though, and I'm not sure who is the responsible maintainer for the
> serial subsystem. Is it possible to push it through sparc-next
> instead? In that case I can send the patch to this list.

Sure, you can post it here.

> Still, the code that scans the bus and creates the device tree must
> reside somewhere and that is what we want to clean up and put in
> drivers/ambapp.

Ok, that works for me.