* LTTng 0.165 for 2.6.31.5 : refactoring/cleanup
@ 2009-11-03  6:17 Mathieu Desnoyers
From: Mathieu Desnoyers @ 2009-11-03  6:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ltt-dev; +Cc: linux-kernel, Steven Rostedt, Lai Jiangshan, KOSAKI Motohiro

Hi,

I just finished testing the LTTng refactoring. It consists of:

- Change design to inheritance for channels and buffers.
  - Eliminate structure duplication for locking/allocation level of buffer and
    channel.
  - Remove now unnecessary krefs.
- Fix cpu hotplug for timers.
- Cleanups.

Impact:
- Cleaner code.
- Simpler structures for channel/buffers.
- Smaller d-cache footprint.

It also permits to change the license of all LTTng modules needed both
for kernel and user-space tracing to dual LGPL/GPL license.

Due to the size of this change, review and testing would be very
welcome. I decided to do it in a separate patch on top of the tree
rather than rebasing. Considering the size of this modification, going
over the modified code on a file by file basis rather than looking at
the patch itself is probably easier.

I decided to mark the "locked" and "irqoff" locking schemes as "BROKEN"
for now and focus on the lockless scheme. We could re-create them if
needed by deriving from the lockless code-base.

Thanks,

Mathieu

--
Mathieu Desnoyers

* LTTng 0.166 for 2.6.31.5 : refactoring/cleanup - 32-bit fix
@ 2009-11-09 15:27 ` Mathieu Desnoyers
From: Mathieu Desnoyers @ 2009-11-09 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ltt-dev; +Cc: linux-kernel, Steven Rostedt, Lai Jiangshan, KOSAKI Motohiro

Hi,

A little word to tell about the updated LTTng 0.166, which fixes a trace
session destruction type-size problem on 32-bit machines introduced in
0.165. A simple printk() expecting a size_t rather than an unsigned long
caused this.

Mathieu

--
Mathieu Desnoyers