* DOSEmu has crashed while calling INT 3!
@ 2009-11-06 19:30 ?????? ????????
       [not found] ` <4AF5E993.8090601@comcast.net>
From: ?????? ???????? @ 2009-11-06 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-msdos

DOSEmu has crashed while calling the Int 3! I running the Borland Turbo
Pascal 7.0 and so, while I press F7 for debugging program, DOSEmu (I
have DOSEmu 1.4 in Ubuntu Linux 9.10), DOSEmu has crashed momentally! I
write in assembler tiny program with commands INT 3 and INT 20, they,
when calling this program, DOSEmu is crashed! Please fix these bug!

* Re: DOSEmu has crashed while calling INT 3!
@ 2009-11-06 23:38 ` John Coppens
       [not found]   ` <4AF4BB60.60806@sbcglobal.net>
       [not found] ` <4AF5E993.8090601@comcast.net>
From: John Coppens @ 2009-11-06 23:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-msdos

On Fri, 06 Nov 2009 21:30:36 +0200
?????? ???????? <vargulin@rambler.ru> wrote:

> DOSEmu has crashed while calling the Int 3! I running the Borland Turbo
> Pascal 7.0 and so, while I press F7 for debugging program, DOSEmu (I
> have DOSEmu 1.4 in Ubuntu Linux 9.10), DOSEmu has crashed momentally! I
> write in assembler tiny program with commands INT 3 and INT 20, they,
> when calling this program, DOSEmu is crashed! Please fix these bug!

I'm not sure if you are aware that you first have to install an interrupt
handler in vector 3 before executing INT 3. The debugging mechanism (such
as DEBUG does) is to replace the next instruction to be executed by an
INT 3, just before executing the program, and then swap it back to the
previous opcode. g123,234,345 installs INT3s in 234 and 345 (temporarily)

But before that, DEBUG installs a pointer at the vector location pointing
to a routine which knows how to handle it. You should too, in you tiny
assembler program.

If, using TP 7, and using F7, you have a crash, then look at the code you
are executing. It's unlikely to be DOSEMU's fault. I've used F7 many
times.

John

@ 2009-11-07  0:21     ` John Coppens
From: John Coppens @ 2009-11-07  0:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike McCarty; +Cc: linux-msdos

On Fri, 06 Nov 2009 18:12:16 -0600
Mike McCarty <Mike.McCarty@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> > If, using TP 7, and using F7, you have a crash, then look at the code
> > you are executing. It's unlikely to be DOSEMU's fault. I've used F7
> > many times.
>
> Very possibly the case. More than one assembly program has overwritten
> important code or data areas, including interrupt vectors. :-)
>
> In any case, without more information, and experimentation, it's
> impossible to know what's gone wrong. I wonder if he could try
> an experiment with a small program which simply comprises a bunch
> of NOPs and then try the F7 trick, and then try inserting an INT3
> in the middle of his NOPs. If this works, then he's almost surely
> looking for a defect in his own code, and not with DOSEMU.

I agree, but the solution is not yelling "Please fix these bug!"

Thanks for your help helping the OP.

John

* DOSEmu has crashed while running debugging
@ 2009-11-07 21:01       ` ?????? ????????
From: ?????? ???????? @ 2009-11-07 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-msdos

In the turned CPU emulation mode in the dosemu.conf to 'full' or
'fullsim' DOSEmu don't crashed while calling INT 3 interrupt, but
tracing in the runned Borland Turbo Pascal 7.0 on DOSEmu using F7 and F8
keys always crash the DOSEmu. I use DOSEmu 1.4 in the Ubuntu Linux 9.10.
Please help! How to fix these bug?

@ 2009-11-07 21:29   ` ?????? ????????
       [not found]     ` <4AF5F28A.5060503@sbcglobal.net>
From: ?????? ???????? @ 2009-11-07 21:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-msdos

 >If, using TP 7, and using F7, you have a crash, then look at the code you
 >are executing. It's unlikely to be DOSEMU's fault. I've used F7 many
 >times.
DOSEmu crashed while trying to trace *any* program in the Turbo Pascal
environment using F7 or F8 keys, for example, DOSEmu crashing after
second pressing the F7 after pressing F9 key in the program called 'hello':
Program Hello;
Begin
 WriteLn('Hello!');
end.
DOSEmu does not crashed in the previous version of DOSEmu, for example,
DOSEmu v1.2 and v1.3 does not crashed while trying to trace any program
in the Turbo Pascal.
Gicked people! Please help me to fix these *very* bad bug in the
DOSEmu!!! DOSEmu 1.4 is suxx?

@ 2009-11-08 16:55   ` ?????? ????????
From: ?????? ???????? @ 2009-11-08 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-msdos

Paul Lagasse ???????(??):
> ?????? ???????? wrote:
>> (I have DOSEmu 1.4 in Ubuntu Linux 9.10), DOSEmu has crashed
> Does the problem occur in Ubuntu 9.04? I've had things crash in 9.10
> that don't crash in earlier Ubuntu releases.
>
> Paul Lagasse

Yes, problem has occur in the Ubuntu 9.04. In the Ubuntu 8.04 and 8.10
(with DOSEmu 1.2 and DOSEmu 1.3) problem does not exist.

* Re: DOSEmu has crashed while calling INT 3!
@ 2009-11-08 17:10     ` Bart Oldeman
From: Bart Oldeman @ 2009-11-08 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ?????? ????????, dosemu

On Sun, Nov 8, 2009 at 11:55 AM, ?????? ???????? <vargulin@rambler.ru> wrote:
> Paul Lagasse ???????(??):
>>
>> ?????? ???????? wrote:
>>>
>>> (I have DOSEmu 1.4 in Ubuntu Linux 9.10), DOSEmu has crashed
>>
>> Does the problem occur in Ubuntu 9.04? I've had things crash in 9.10 that
>> don't crash in earlier Ubuntu releases.
>>
> Yes, problem has occur in the Ubuntu 9.04. In the Ubuntu 8.04 and 8.10 (with
> DOSEmu 1.2 and DOSEmu 1.3) problem does not exist.

How did dosemu crash? Do you see a trace in ~/.dosemu/boot.log?
It might actually be a kernel bug, if dosemu crashes with a plain
"segmentation fault", and if you run "dmesg" after, which says
something like:

--May 22 16:47:47 localhost kernel: note: dosemu.bin[5281] exited with
preempt_count 1

I attempted to fix the issue in the kernel but there was a problem
with the patch -- I'll revisit when I have time.
A workaround is using $_cpu_emu="vm86" or recompiling the kernel with
preemption disabled.

Bart

@ 2009-11-08 17:20       ` ?????? ????????
From: ?????? ???????? @ 2009-11-08 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-msdos

Mike McCarty ???????(??):
> ?????? ???????? wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> Gicked people! Please help me to fix these *very* bad bug in the
>> DOSEmu!!! DOSEmu 1.4 is suxx?
>
> I don't know what "gicked" means, but unless your attitude improves,
> and I mean like RIGHT NOW, then you aren't going to get any help
> from me. You'll get kicked to the curb. You know what "Plonk!" means?
>
> http://www.newsdemon.com/usenet_term_plonk.php
>
> You get a free tool. It _maybe_ doesn't work properly, and you
> cop an attitude like this?
>
> I have two words
>
> SPOILED BRAT
>
> or
>
> USELESS GIT
>
> Apologize, or get lost, buddy!
>
> Mike
I don't know who are You write about this. I confuse "geek" with "gick",
and so, I see the English dictionary, and see who not "geek" or "gick"
word I needed, but "clever". But I sorry.

* Re: DOSEmu has crashed while calling INT 3!
@ 2009-11-08 17:53       ` ?????? ????????
From: ?????? ???????? @ 2009-11-08 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-msdos

Bart Oldeman ???????(??):
> On Sun, Nov 8, 2009 at 11:55 AM, ?????? ???????? <vargulin@rambler.ru> wrote:
>
>> Paul Lagasse ???????(??):

>>> Does the problem occur in Ubuntu 9.04? I've had things crash in 9.10 that
>>> don't crash in earlier Ubuntu releases.
>>>

>> Yes, problem has occur in the Ubuntu 9.04. In the Ubuntu 8.04 and 8.10 (with
>> DOSEmu 1.2 and DOSEmu 1.3) problem does not exist.
>>

> How did dosemu crash? Do you see a trace in ~/.dosemu/boot.log?
> It might actually be a kernel bug, if dosemu crashes with a plain
> "segmentation fault", and if you run "dmesg" after, which says
> something like:
>
> --May 22 16:47:47 localhost kernel: note: dosemu.bin[5281] exited with
> preempt_count 1
>
> I attempted to fix the issue in the kernel but there was a problem
> with the patch -- I'll revisit when I have time.
> A workaround is using $_cpu_emu="vm86" or recompiling the kernel with
> preemption disabled.
>
> Bart
> I see the boot.log on the DOSEmu directory. In these file does not contain "segmentation fault" or "

I see the boot.log on the DOSEmu directory. In these file does not
contain "segmentation fault". I can sent to someone of Your's Turbo.Exe,
Turbo.Tpl and Hello.pas for make an experiment with these shitted bug.
For experiment, please download the Ubuntu 9.10 ISO image, and boot from
it, written to the CD disk, and after booting from it, install the
official dosemu package (with dosemu 1.4) and download the my package
with turbo.exe, turbo.tpl and hello.pas, and in the dosemu go to
directory contain these files and run the turbo.exe and press F9 and
twice press the F7 or F8 key for get this ugly bad bug. These file
package at: http://www.sendspace.com/file/b6mq0j (238 KB). Deletion link
is:
http://www.sendspace.com/delete/b6mq0j/538417c630a0d4cf233e8f86f76d6d11.
Enjoy.

* Re: DOSEmu has crashed while calling INT 3!
@ 2009-11-08 17:58         ` Bart Oldeman
From: Bart Oldeman @ 2009-11-08 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ?????? ????????; +Cc: linux-msdos

On Sun, Nov 8, 2009 at 12:53 PM, ?????? ???????? <vargulin@rambler.ru> wrote:

> I see the boot.log on the DOSEmu directory. In these file does not contain
> "segmentation fault".

Did you run and check "dmesg", just after running dosemu and having it
crashed like I mentioned before? It would be easier for you to confirm
that it is a kernel bug.

Bart