* [B.A.T.M.A.N.] A peer-reviewed assessment of OLSR, BATMAN and Babel
@ 2009-11-06 19:05 Juliusz Chroboczek
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Juliusz Chroboczek @ 2009-11-06 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: babel-users, olsr-users, b.a.t.m.a.n; +Cc: jerryw, brett_hagelstein, mehrana

I've just come upon an interesting paper that experimentally compares
the performance of OLSR, BATMAN and Babel.

    Real-world Performance of Current Proactive Multi-hop Mesh
    Protocols.  M. Abolhasan, B. Hagelstein, J. C.-P. Wang.

    http://ro.uow.edu.au/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1747&context=infopapers

Short summary: see Table II on the last page.

A few comments on the paper:

1. Section II (the informal description of the protocols) doesn't make
   much sense.  Ignore it.

2. They evaluated original OLSR, not OLSR-ETX as used by our friends in
   Vienna and Berlin.

3. The results in Figure 3 would appear to imply that there's a bug in
   Babel -- it loses a packet every time it switches routes.  I think
   I understand why.

4. They ran the routing daemons with the default parameters.  This means
   that BATMAN ran with an OGM interval of 1 second, while Babel used
   a Hello interval of 4 seconds.  It would have been interesting to see
   the results with similar parameters.

5. They didn't measure the amount of routing protocol traffic.

                                        Juliusz

* Re: [B.A.T.M.A.N.] [Babel-users] A peer-reviewed assessment of OLSR, BATMAN and Babel
@ 2009-11-06 22:55 ` Henning Rogge
From: Henning Rogge @ 2009-11-06 22:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: babel-users
  Cc: olsr-users, b.a.t.m.a.n, jerryw, Juliusz Chroboczek,
	brett_hagelstein, mehrana

[-- Attachment #1: Type: Text/Plain, Size: 1079 bytes --]

Am Freitag 06 November 2009 20:05:31 schrieb Juliusz Chroboczek:
> I've just come upon an interesting paper that experimentally compares
> the performance of OLSR, BATMAN and Babel.
>
>     Real-world Performance of Current Proactive Multi-hop Mesh
>     Protocols.  M. Abolhasan, B. Hagelstein, J. C.-P. Wang.
>
>  http://ro.uow.edu.au/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1747&context=infopapers
Interesting link Juliusz, thank you.

> Short summary: see Table II on the last page.
>

> A few comments on the paper:
>
> 1. Section II (the informal description of the protocols) doesn't make
>    much sense.  Ignore it.
>
> 2. They evaluated original OLSR, not OLSR-ETX as used by our friends in
>    Vienna and Berlin.
This is the bane of the OLSR protocol. Most people not doing mesh-research
just "use the RFC compatible OLSR" to compare it with anything else... and
discover (as we all know) that hopcount metric does not work. I'm fighting for
including a simple ETX implementation into the coming OLSRv2 RFC at the
moment.

Henning Rogge

* Re: [B.A.T.M.A.N.] A peer-reviewed assessment of OLSR, BATMAN and Babel
@ 2009-11-07 10:42 ` Marek Lindner
From: Marek Lindner @ 2009-11-07 10:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: b.a.t.m.a.n
  Cc: olsr-users, jerryw, Juliusz Chroboczek, babel-users,
	brett_hagelstein, mehrana

On Saturday 07 November 2009 03:05:31 Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:
> I've just come upon an interesting paper that experimentally compares
> the performance of OLSR, BATMAN and Babel.
>
>     Real-world Performance of Current Proactive Multi-hop Mesh
>     Protocols.  M. Abolhasan, B. Hagelstein, J. C.-P. Wang.
>

>  http://ro.uow.edu.au/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1747&context=infopapers

Very interesting analysis - thanks for sharing this with us.

> 4. They ran the routing daemons with the default parameters.  This means
>    that BATMAN ran with an OGM interval of 1 second, while Babel used
>    a Hello interval of 4 seconds.  It would have been interesting to see
>    the results with similar parameters.

Although I get your point, you probably share my belief in default options,
hence it is the right thing to compare. Useful defaults are the first step
towards a working protocol.  ;)

Cheers,
Marek

PS: You might or might have not noticed that our list now is open for everyone
to post (without prior registration).

* Re: [B.A.T.M.A.N.] [Olsr-users] A peer-reviewed assessment of OLSR, BATMAN and Babel
@ 2009-11-07 16:42   ` Juliusz Chroboczek
From: Juliusz Chroboczek @ 2009-11-07 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marek Lindner
  Cc: olsr-users, b.a.t.m.a.n, jerryw, babel-users, brett_hagelstein, mehrana

>> 4. They ran the routing daemons with the default parameters.  This means
>>    that BATMAN ran with an OGM interval of 1 second, while Babel used
>>    a Hello interval of 4 seconds.

> Although I get your point, you probably share my belief in default options,
> hence it is the right thing to compare.

Fully agreed -- I would have liked to see a comparison with similar
parameters *in addition* to the comparison with the default parameters.

                                        Juliusz

* Re: [B.A.T.M.A.N.] [Olsr-users] A peer-reviewed assessment of OLSR, BATMAN and Babel
@ 2009-11-07 23:35     ` L. Aaron Kaplan
From: L. Aaron Kaplan @ 2009-11-07 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juliusz Chroboczek
  Cc: olsr list users mailing,
	The Ad-hoc Networking list for a Better Approach To Mobile,
	jerryw, babel-users, Marek Lindner, brett_hagelstein, mehrana

I would have liked to see a comparison with OLSR.org default settings
(ETX metric) instead of
hopcount metric. As Henning already pointed out, hop count metric is
not useful at all and was long abandoned.

Nobody in our freifunk/funkfeuer networks actually uses hopcount and
therefore we could achieved mesh sizes of 1000+ nodes *in practice*
with OLSR.

a.

@ 2009-11-08  1:08       ` Juliusz Chroboczek
From: Juliusz Chroboczek @ 2009-11-08  1:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: L. Aaron Kaplan
  Cc: olsr list users mailing,
	The Ad-hoc Networking list for a Better Approach To Mobile,
	jerryw, babel-users, brett_hagelstein, mehrana

> I would have liked to see a comparison with OLSR.org default settings
> (ETX metric) instead of hopcount metric.

Agreed.

Note however that this doesn't entirely explain why OLSR collapsed in
their tests.  If you look at table I, you'll notice that in the case of
node Babel did choose the shortest hop-count route, and Babel and OLSR
exhibited similar levels of route flapping; in other words, in this
particular test ETX and shortest-hop coincide.  However, Figure 2
indicates that OLSR's throughput was half that of Babel, and in
Figure 3, OLSR's packet delivery ratio was just 75%.

                                        Juliusz

* Re: [B.A.T.M.A.N.] [Babel-users] [Olsr-users] A peer-reviewed assessment of OLSR, BATMAN and Babel
@ 2009-11-08  8:15         ` Henning Rogge
From: Henning Rogge @ 2009-11-08  8:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: babel-users
  Cc: olsr list users mailing,
	The Ad-hoc Networking list for a Better Approach To Mobile,
	jerryw, Juliusz Chroboczek, brett_hagelstein, mehrana

[-- Attachment #1: Type: Text/Plain, Size: 981 bytes --]

Am Sonntag 08 November 2009 02:08:48 schrieb Juliusz Chroboczek:
> > I would have liked to see a comparison with OLSR.org default settings
> > (ETX metric) instead of hopcount metric.
>
> Agreed.
>
> Note however that this doesn't entirely explain why OLSR collapsed in
> their tests.  If you look at table I, you'll notice that in the case of
> node Babel did choose the shortest hop-count route, and Babel and OLSR
> exhibited similar levels of route flapping; in other words, in this
> particular test ETX and shortest-hop coincide.  However, Figure 2
> indicates that OLSR's throughput was half that of Babel, and in
> Figure 3, OLSR's packet delivery ratio was just 75%.
Good question. Maybe they activated an agressive MPR setting and hit a known
bug in the dijkstra algorithm that can create problems with MPR settings (the
bug is fixed in the development tree and the current 0.5.6 displays an error
message with the not-working settings).

Henning

* Re: [B.A.T.M.A.N.] A peer-reviewed assessment of OLSR, BATMAN and Babel
@ 2009-11-09  4:46 ` Dr. Mehran Abolhasan
From: Dr. Mehran Abolhasan @ 2009-11-09  4:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juliusz Chroboczek, babel-users, olsr-users, b.a.t.m.a.n
  Cc: Brett Hagelstein, justin.lipman, Brett Hegelstein, Chun-Ping Wang

Hi All,

Many Thanks for all your comments. Just a couple of point of clarification.

1. The aim of this paper was to study all the protocols in their default
settings. We did not
switch off ETX with olsr (note we used the olsr version from olsr.org). In
fact the link quality metric was left to 2 by default. We are well aware
that ETX provide more stable routes than hop count.

2. In terms of looking at performance using different parameters, we will be
doing this in our future studies.
Also, note that the conference papers were limited to 4 pages only.

3. In terms of overheads, given that this was a small scale indoor test-bed,
we believed the amount of overhead introduced into the network is not
signficant enough to adversely affect the network. So we did not look into
overheads for this paper, however we would do this for larger test-beds.

4. We previously ran OLSR using various different outdoor and indoor
test-beds and at the time we were doing the experimentations BATMAN and
BABEL were more stable.

We would be interested to hear what other aspects of the protocols (such as
different parameters) you would like to see studied.

Kind regards,
Mehran

@ 2009-11-09  9:07   ` Henning Rogge
From: Henning Rogge @ 2009-11-09  9:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dr. Mehran Abolhasan
  Cc: olsr-users, b.a.t.m.a.n, Brett Hegelstein, justin.lipman,
	Chun-Ping Wang, Juliusz Chroboczek, babel-users,
	Brett Hagelstein

On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 05:46, Dr. Mehran Abolhasan <mehrana@uow.edu.au> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Many Thanks for all your comments. Just a couple of point of clarification.
>
> 1. The aim of this paper was to study all the protocols in their default
> settings. We did not
> switch off ETX with olsr (note we used the olsr version from olsr.org). In
> fact the link quality metric was left to 2 by default. We are well aware
> that ETX provide more stable routes than hop count.
The problem is that the "RFC" mode of olsr.org is not well tested, the
MPR algorithm is broken in 0.5.6 and RFC conform OLSR networks do not
work in practice for non-trivial networks. I'm surprised that you got
results this good.

> 2. In terms of looking at performance using different parameters, we will be
> doing this in our future studies.
> Also, note that the conference papers were limited to 4 pages only.
If you plan to start your tests, feel free to contact the olsr mailing
lists for some suggestions for parameters. ;)

> 3. In terms of overheads, given that this was a small scale indoor test-bed,
> we believed the amount of overhead introduced into the network is not
> signficant enough to adversely affect the network. So we did not look into
> overheads for this paper, however we would do this for larger test-beds.
>
> 4. We previously ran OLSR using various different outdoor and indoor
> test-beds and at the time we were doing the experimentations BATMAN and
> BABEL were more stable.
Noone surprised (without ETX).

Henning Rogge

--
"Wo kämen wir hin, wenn alle sagten, wo kämem wir hin, und niemand
ginge, um einmal zu schauen, wohin man käme, wenn man ginge." (Kurt

* Re: [B.A.T.M.A.N.] A peer-reviewed assessment of OLSR, BATMAN and Babel
@ 2009-11-09 17:06   ` Juliusz Chroboczek
From: Juliusz Chroboczek @ 2009-11-09 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dr. Mehran Abolhasan
  Cc: olsr-users, b.a.t.m.a.n, justin.lipman, Brett Hegelstein,
	Chun-Ping Wang, babel-users, Brett Hagelstein

Hello to both of you, and thanks a lot for your paper.

MA:

> 1. The aim of this paper was to study all the protocols in their default
> settings.

I realise that.  My comments were just a quick guide to the paper, to
make it easier for folks to read it, by no way a criticism.

MA:

> We did not switch off ETX with olsr

CPW:

> The results shown in our paper is actually the performance of OLSR
> with ETX.

In Section IV.A, at the bottom of the first column, you say

   OLSR, which based on hop-count metric, always maintains the minimum
   number of hops for any given destination.

I'd really like this to be clarified, it is part of an ongoing debate in
our community (which I'm not going to summarise right now, since I'm
trying to avoid a flamewar).

MA:

> 3. In terms of overheads, given that this was a small scale indoor
> test-bed, we believed the amount of overhead introduced into the
> network is not signficant enough to adversely affect the network.

I agree.  However, this is the kind of informaton that would be
interesting to me -- Babel extensively uses reactive requests and
updates, and the heuristics used are somewhat tricky to tune.  Packet
count is the information I need in order to know out if I got it right.

(I'm not quite sure what to measure here, but I'd say that the values of
interest are the number of packets sent on average per unit of time, the
average, median and standard derivation of packet size, and the average
interval between two packets -- the latter being an estimate of how
bursty the routing traffic is).

CPW:

> You may also aware the protocols that we used are already out-dated.
> This is because this work was done back in 2008.

The results are still very interesting.  While our routing daemons have
gone through extensive amounts of tuning since then, the basic
principles have not changed, and your paper validates the approaches
that we've taken.

CPW:

> We are more than happy to undergo another study with more recent
> protocols.

That would be excellent.  We all know how time-consuming it is to set up
a testbed and perform quantitative measures, and we're most grateful for
any data you're willing to share.

Two comments:

In Figure 3, you show that Babel tends to have a packet loss rate of 1%.
Since you had redundant routes in your case, and were running normal
802.11 with link-layer ARQ, this should not happen -- and the BATMAN
results show that, indeed, it is possible to have 0% loss rate.

I suspect that the explanation is that Babel ocasionally loses a packet
when it switches routes -- that would be consistent with the RCF given
in Table I.  Do you have any extra data on this test that you'd be
willing to share?  In particular, do you know whether the losses were
evenly distributed, or whether they came in bursts?

Finally, in Section IV.C, you say

  BABEL had the fastest route convergence time with a fastest repair
  time of nine seconds. Interestingly, it was found in the bandwidth
  test that the route changed in as little as two seconds when parallel
  paths were available. This suggests the route preference algorithm is
  more active than the route repair algorithm.

This is, unfortunately, an effect that I don't know how to avoid.  Since
you were running with a Hello interval of 2 seconds, you have shown that
Babel repairs a broken route after 2 to 3 hellos; anything more
aggressive than that, and you risk massive amounts of route flapping,
since a single stray packet could too easily cause a route switch.

However, you have witnessed route flaps happening in two seconds in the
worst case -- given two neighbours A and B, two seconds is the average
time for receiving first a packet from A, then a packet from B; if the
two routes have very similar metrics, slight oscillations of ETX might
cause Babel to switch after just two hellos.

As you justly point out, the two facts put together indicate that the
link cost computation and hysteresis in Babel do not interact quite
right.  This is the most tricky bit of Babel, since it appears to be
a pure engineering tradeoff and I don't see any theoretical arguments to
guide me in its design.

Thanks again for your work,

                                        Juliusz