* Reserve CPU cores for specific guests?
@ 2009-11-08 22:56 Neil Aggarwal
From: Neil Aggarwal @ 2009-11-08 22:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kvm

Hello:

I don't think there is a way to do this with KVM, but
I figured I would ask:

I want to be able to offer virtual private servers (VPSs)
to clients.  I am going to use KVM for it.

I would like to offer clients the option to buy either:
1. A VPS which allows CPUs to be overcommitted.
2. A VPS with a dedicated CPU core.

So, for example, if I have a six core opteron, I might
sell:
2 VPSs with a dedicated CPU core
6 VPSs which allow overcommitted CPUs

Since I need one core for the hypervisor, there would
need to be a way to say that it gets a dedicated core
plus the other 2 VPSs get a dedicated core.  That
leaves 3 pooled cores to serve the 6 VPSs that
are allowed to overcommit.

Is there a way to set up a pooled set of cores
for a given list of VPSs?

I think I may have to use separate physical machine
for the VPSs with dedicated cores and the ones with
overcommitted ones.

Thanks,
	Neil

--
Neil Aggarwal, (281)846-8957, http://www.JAMMConsulting.com
CentOS 5.4 KVM VPS $55/mo, no setup fee, no contract, dedicated 64bit CPU

* Re: Reserve CPU cores for specific guests?
@ 2009-11-09  0:26 ` Zdenek Kaspar
From: Zdenek Kaspar @ 2009-11-09  0:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Neil Aggarwal; +Cc: kvm

Neil Aggarwal napsal(a):
> Hello:
>
> I don't think there is a way to do this with KVM, but
> I figured I would ask:
>
> I want to be able to offer virtual private servers (VPSs)
> to clients.  I am going to use KVM for it.
>
> I would like to offer clients the option to buy either:
> 1. A VPS which allows CPUs to be overcommitted.
> 2. A VPS with a dedicated CPU core.
>
> So, for example, if I have a six core opteron, I might
> sell:
> 2 VPSs with a dedicated CPU core
> 6 VPSs which allow overcommitted CPUs
>
> Since I need one core for the hypervisor, there would
> need to be a way to say that it gets a dedicated core
> plus the other 2 VPSs get a dedicated core.  That
> leaves 3 pooled cores to serve the 6 VPSs that
> are allowed to overcommit.
>
> Is there a way to set up a pooled set of cores
> for a given list of VPSs?
>
> I think I may have to use separate physical machine
> for the VPSs with dedicated cores and the ones with
> overcommitted ones.
>
> Thanks,
> 	Neil
>
> --
> Neil Aggarwal, (281)846-8957, http://www.JAMMConsulting.com
> CentOS 5.4 KVM VPS $55/mo, no setup fee, no contract, dedicated 64bit CPU
> 1GB dedicated RAM, 40GB RAID storage, 500GB/mo premium BW, Zero downtime

I think you can achieve that on some simple level DIY with taskset from
util-linux(-ng).

HTH, Z.

* RE: Reserve CPU cores for specific guests?
@ 2009-11-09  3:12   ` Neil Aggarwal
From: Neil Aggarwal @ 2009-11-09  3:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kvm

> I think you can achieve that on some simple level DIY with
> taskset from
> util-linux(-ng).

That is a good utility to know.  I did not know about that
earlier.  Thanks for the info.

I am wondering one thing though:

I will either need to call taskset when executing the
process or run taskset on a PID after it starts up.

Unless there is a way to tell KVM to call taskset when starting
a guest, I think that is going to be hard to automate since the
guests will get different PID each time they are started.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
	Neil

--

@ 2009-11-09  3:14     ` Thomas Fjellstrom
From: Thomas Fjellstrom @ 2009-11-09  3:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kvm

On Sun November 8 2009, Neil Aggarwal wrote:
> > I think you can achieve that on some simple level DIY with
> > taskset from
> > util-linux(-ng).
>
> That is a good utility to know.  I did not know about that
> earlier.  Thanks for the info.
>
> I am wondering one thing though:
>
> I will either need to call taskset when executing the
> process or run taskset on a PID after it starts up.
>
> Unless there is a way to tell KVM to call taskset when starting
> a guest, I think that is going to be hard to automate since the
> guests will get different PID each time they are started.
>
> Any suggestions?

None directly related, but libvirt's kvm support supports pinning a vm to a
physical cpu. At least it has the option in virt-manager.

> Thanks,
> 	Neil
>
> --
> Neil Aggarwal, (281)846-8957, http://www.JAMMConsulting.com
> CentOS 5.4 KVM VPS $55/mo, no setup fee, no contract, dedicated 64bit CPU
> 1GB dedicated RAM, 40GB RAID storage, 500GB/mo premium BW, Zero downtime

Thomas Fjellstrom
tfjellstrom@shaw.ca

* RE: Reserve CPU cores for specific guests?
@ 2009-11-09  5:08       ` Neil Aggarwal
From: Neil Aggarwal @ 2009-11-09  5:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kvm

> None directly related, but libvirt's kvm support supports
> pinning a vm to a
> physical cpu. At least it has the option in virt-manager.

That is exactly what I needed.
My KVM host does not have a GUI so I have been using
virsh.  I did not notice that option before.

Thank you,
	Neil