* new sensor for a t613 camera
@ 2009-11-13 19:34 Nicolau Werneck
From: Nicolau Werneck @ 2009-11-13 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: video4linux-list

Hello.

I bought me a new webcam. lsusb said me it was a 17a1:0128 device, for
which the gspca_t613 module is available. But it did not recognize the
sensor number, 0x0802.

I fiddled with the driver source code, and just made it recognize it
as a 0x0803 sensor, called "others" in the code, and I did get images
from the camera. But the colors are extremely wrong, like the contrast
was set to a very high number. It's probably some soft of color
encoding gone wrong...

How can I start hacking this driver to try to make my camera work
under Linux?

Thanks,
  ++nicolau

--
Nicolau Werneck <nwerneck@gmail.com>          1AAB 4050 1999 BDFF 4862
http://www.lti.pcs.usp.br/~nwerneck           4A33 D2B5 648B 4789 0327

* Re: new sensor for a t613 camera
@ 2009-11-13 20:04 ` Erik Andrén
From: Erik Andrén @ 2009-11-13 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

2009/11/13 Nicolau Werneck <nwerneck@gmail.com>:
> Hello.
>
> I bought me a new webcam. lsusb said me it was a 17a1:0128 device, for
> which the gspca_t613 module is available. But it did not recognize the
> sensor number, 0x0802.
>
> I fiddled with the driver source code, and just made it recognize it
> as a 0x0803 sensor, called "others" in the code, and I did get images
> from the camera. But the colors are extremely wrong, like the contrast
> was set to a very high number. It's probably some soft of color
> encoding gone wrong...
>
> How can I start hacking this driver to try to make my camera work
> under Linux?

If possible you could open the camera to investigate if there is
anything printed on the sensor chip. This might give you a clue to
what sensor it is.

Best regards,
Erik

@ 2009-11-13 20:27   ` Nicolau Werneck
From: Nicolau Werneck @ 2009-11-13 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 09:04:23PM +0100, Erik Andrén wrote:
> 2009/11/13 Nicolau Werneck <nwerneck@gmail.com>:
> > Hello.
> >
> > I bought me a new webcam. lsusb said me it was a 17a1:0128 device, for
> > which the gspca_t613 module is available. But it did not recognize the
> > sensor number, 0x0802.
> >
> > I fiddled with the driver source code, and just made it recognize it
> > as a 0x0803 sensor, called "others" in the code, and I did get images
> > from the camera. But the colors are extremely wrong, like the contrast
> > was set to a very high number. It's probably some soft of color
> > encoding gone wrong...
> >
> > How can I start hacking this driver to try to make my camera work
> > under Linux?
> >

> If possible you could open the camera to investigate if there is
> anything printed on the sensor chip. This might give you a clue to
> what sensor it is.

Thanks for redirecting me.

I opened it (So much for the warranty seal...), but there is just
huge black blob of goo over the chip, as usual these days.

++nicolau

--
Nicolau Werneck <nwerneck@gmail.com>          1AAB 4050 1999 BDFF 4862
http://www.lti.pcs.usp.br/~nwerneck           4A33 D2B5 648B 4789 0327
Linux user #460716

* Re: new sensor for a t613 camera
@ 2009-11-13 20:35     ` leandro Costantino
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: leandro Costantino @ 2009-11-13 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Nicolau,
Are you able to give me some usb traces?
there's a little how to
http://deaglecito.blogspot.com/2008/10/new-sensor-merge-faq-tascorp-17a10128.html
here.

I don't have too much time now, but i can take a look and made some
changes to test and guide you.

Best Regards
Costantino Leandro

@ 2009-11-14  3:05       ` Nicolau Werneck
From: Nicolau Werneck @ 2009-11-14  3:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

OK, I'll try to get a windows box and log it.

I believe the original designer of this camera is a German company
named Logilink. I wrote an e-mail to and address in their website,
let's see if there is any feedback.

   ++nicolau

--
Nicolau Werneck <nwerneck@gmail.com>         25A1 1BCB 714C 29E7 D84C
http://www.lti.pcs.usp.br/~nwerneck                   8514 152D 103F B001 8740

@ 2009-11-16 12:47       ` Nicolau Werneck
From: Nicolau Werneck @ 2009-11-16 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

I wrote an e-mail to the company that seems to have designed this
camera of mine, the German LogiLink, and they answered me this
morning. Looks like the camera uses the CNLTF LT-168G
sensor. Searching for the terms in Google shows some hits regarding
the microdia driver, so it might be possible we can even take some
stuff from them... Is this true?

So, should I try to get the log anyway, or can we try to do something
else now that we have this clue?

Thanks,
  ++nicolau

--

@ 2009-11-17 20:41       ` Nicolau Werneck
From: Nicolau Werneck @ 2009-11-17 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello, people.

I did it! I looked at the log and modified the driver to support my
webcam. It's working!! I'm sending an image attached. :]

I'll clean up my code now, and submit a patch later. Help is
appreciated, because I don't have much experience contributing to
large projects...

This webcam is a very cheap one, quite easy to find these days. I
hope the support will be appreciated by many users.

See you,

@ 2009-11-18 15:12         ` leandro Costantino
From: leandro Costantino @ 2009-11-18 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Please, send me the patch for review :)