* Re: Any tutorial to configure grub menu interface ?
@ 2009-11-15 17:49 Robert Millan
From: Robert Millan @ 2009-11-15 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: grub-devel

On Sun, Nov 15, 2009 at 3:16 PM, J. Bakshi <bakshi12@gmail.com> wrote:
> I just interested to know if the menu system is already there in grub2. My box is debian. Hope in a week I'll get the modification during package up-gradation.

Vladimir is currently reviewing Colin's work, and we expect that it will
be merged into GRUB soon.

--
Robert Millan

* Re: Any tutorial to configure grub menu interface ?
@ 2009-11-18 15:34 ` J. Bakshi
From: J. Bakshi @ 2009-11-18 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: grub-devel

On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 18:49:46 +0100
Robert Millan <rmh@aybabtu.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 15, 2009 at 3:16 PM, J. Bakshi <bakshi12@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I just interested to know if the menu system is already there in
> > grub2. My box is debian. Hope in a week I'll get the modification
> > during package up-gradation.
>
> Vladimir is currently reviewing Colin's work, and we expect that it
> will be merged into GRUB soon.

It is really a great news for grub2 users..

Please continue the good work

* Re: Any tutorial to configure grub menu interface ?
@ 2009-11-15 17:56                 ` Robert Millan
From: Robert Millan @ 2009-11-15 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GNU GRUB

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 01:36:05AM +0800, Bean wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 15, 2009 at 3:16 PM, J. Bakshi <bakshi12@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I just interested to know if the menu system is already there in grub2. My box is debian. Hope in a week I'll get the modification during package up-gradation.
>

> Hi,
>
> Binary package is only available for ubuntu karmic, although
> installation from source code is not complicated if you follow the
> steps in https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Burg

Bean,

In general, when people ask about GRUB 2 in this mailing list, they refer
to the official version of GNU GRUB.

If you stretch the definition, our experimental branch also falls in this
scope, and maybe even personal branches in our Bazaar repository in
Savannah.

Your project doesn't fall under any of these categories.  In the future,
I'll appreciate if you're more careful not to make the wrong assumption.

Thanks

--
Robert Millan

* Re: Any tutorial to configure grub menu interface ?
@ 2009-11-15 17:36               ` Bean
From: Bean @ 2009-11-15 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GNU GRUB

On Sun, Nov 15, 2009 at 3:16 PM, J. Bakshi <bakshi12@gmail.com> wrote:
> I just interested to know if the menu system is already there in grub2. My box is debian. Hope in a week I'll get the modification during package up-gradation.

Hi,

Binary package is only available for ubuntu karmic, although
installation from source code is not complicated if you follow the
steps in https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Burg

--
Bean

My repository: https://launchpad.net/burg
Document: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Burg

* Re: Any tutorial to configure grub menu interface ?
@ 2009-11-15  7:16             ` J. Bakshi
From: J. Bakshi @ 2009-11-15  7:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: grub-devel

On Sat, 31 Oct 2009 10:58:09 +0100
Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko <phcoder@gmail.com> wrote:

> Bean wrote:
> > On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 1:02 PM, J. Bakshi <bakshi12@gmail.com>
> > wrote:

> >> Bean, may I request you merge your great work in mainline grub2 ?
> >> A Lot of grub2 users like me are really interested to try your
> >> great work in  grub2.
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > It's not that I don't merge it to mainline, but parts of my branch
> > is not considered appropriate for grub2. So someone can just pull my
> > branch, review it and merge whatever part they want.
> >

> Ok, then the next weekend I'll do the cherrypicking. This weekend I
> just have no time for it (I'm on regional ACM)

Hello,

@ 2009-11-08  7:04                 ` J. Bakshi
From: J. Bakshi @ 2009-11-08  7:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: grub-devel

On Tue, 3 Nov 2009 01:15:22 +0800
Bean <bean123ch@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 7:54 PM, J. Bakshi <bakshi12@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sat, 31 Oct 2009 10:58:09 +0100
> > Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko <phcoder@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Ok, then the next weekend I'll do the cherrypicking. This weekend I
> >> just have no time for it (I'm on regional ACM)
> >>

> > so grub2 users, be ready to enjoy some really cool menu interfaces
> > with better control. Thanks a lot to you all developers to give us
> > such a great boot loader.
>
> Hi,
>
> I just write a document on configuration of the new menu system:
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Burg

Thanks a lot

* Re: Any tutorial to configure grub menu interface ?
@ 2009-11-03 10:25                 ` Peter Cros
From: Peter Cros @ 2009-11-03 10:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

That is a very useful doc, a good read. Thanks.

On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 4:15 AM, Bean

> Hi,
>
> I just write a document on configuration of the new menu system:
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Burg
>
> --
> Bean
>
> My repository: https://launchpad.net/burg

Cros (pxw)

* Re: Any tutorial to configure grub menu interface ?
@ 2009-11-02 17:15               ` Bean
From: Bean @ 2009-11-02 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

@ 2009-10-31 11:54             ` J. Bakshi
From: J. Bakshi @ 2009-10-31 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: grub-devel

@ 2009-10-31 10:26             ` Robert Millan
From: Robert Millan @ 2009-10-31 10:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 10:58:09AM +0100, Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko wrote:
> Bean wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > It's not that I don't merge it to mainline, but parts of my branch is
> > not considered appropriate for grub2. So someone can just pull my
> > branch, review it and merge whatever part they want.

Just for the record: I don't consider your new menu inappropiate, I simply
had other priorities (like the release) and not enough time to follow the
discussion (as I expressed back then, I think it is bad timing).

> Ok, then the next weekend I'll do the cherrypicking. This weekend I just
> have no time for it (I'm on regional ACM)

Bean, if you put the changes that you think should be in GRUB into branches,
I think this would make it easier to import into experimental than a
monolithic all-in-one branch.

And if you want to create /people/bean/ for this purpose in our repository,
you're welcome to.

--
Robert Millan

* Re: Any tutorial to configure grub menu interface ?
@ 2009-10-31  9:58           ` Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko
                               ` (2 more replies)
From: Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko @ 2009-10-31  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

Bean wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 1:02 PM, J. Bakshi <bakshi12@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 22:52:41 +0100
>> Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko <phcoder@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Till now Bean ignored all our requests to work on merging these
>>> changes in the mainline or experimental. Unless he collaborates on
>>> merging there is nothing we can do.
>>>
>> Bean, may I request you merge your great work in mainline grub2 ? A Lot of grub2 users like me are really interested to try your great work in  grub2.
>>

> Hi,
>
> It's not that I don't merge it to mainline, but parts of my branch is
> not considered appropriate for grub2. So someone can just pull my
> branch, review it and merge whatever part they want.

Ok, then the next weekend I'll do the cherrypicking. This weekend I just
have no time for it (I'm on regional ACM)

--
Regards
Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko

* Re: Any tutorial to configure grub menu interface ?
@ 2009-10-31  6:47         ` Bean
From: Bean @ 2009-10-31  6:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

@ 2009-10-31  5:02       ` J. Bakshi
From: J. Bakshi @ 2009-10-31  5:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: grub-devel

On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 22:52:41 +0100
Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko <phcoder@gmail.com> wrote:

> J. Bakshi wrote:
> > On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 04:01:05 +0800
> > Bean <bean123ch@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> There are actually two menu system. Colin has written a fancy menu
> >> patch as part of gsoc project, you can still get the code from
> >> http://grub.gibibit.com/, there are also some docs there. It looks
> >> good, but a little slow, and some feature like edit boot command
> >> hasn't been implemented.
> >>
> >> Recently, I have rewritten the menu system and it's almost done by
> >> now. The project is hosted at https://launchpad.net/burg, you can
> >> also follow this post in ubuntu forum:
> >>
> >> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1248647
> >>
> >> I plans to add some doc on menu config soon.
> >>

> > Hello Bean,
> >
> > It is nice to know about your project. I hope it can be in main
> > line grub soon. Eagerly waiting for that and also for your doc.
> >

> Till now Bean ignored all our requests to work on merging these
> changes in the mainline or experimental. Unless he collaborates on
> merging there is nothing we can do.

Bean, may I request you merge your great work in mainline grub2 ? A Lot of grub2 users like me are really interested to try your great work in  grub2.

with best wishes..

* Re: Any tutorial to configure grub menu interface ?
@ 2009-10-28 21:52     ` Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko
From: Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko @ 2009-10-28 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

J. Bakshi wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 04:01:05 +0800
> Bean <bean123ch@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 10:41 PM, J. Bakshi <bakshi12@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I wonder if there is any tutorial to crate cool grub menu
>>> interface. Can we use the grub2 2009 summer project to get those
>>> fancy interfaces ?
>>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> There are actually two menu system. Colin has written a fancy menu
>> patch as part of gsoc project, you can still get the code from
>> http://grub.gibibit.com/, there are also some docs there. It looks
>> good, but a little slow, and some feature like edit boot command
>> hasn't been implemented.
>>
>> Recently, I have rewritten the menu system and it's almost done by
>> now. The project is hosted at https://launchpad.net/burg, you can also
>> follow this post in ubuntu forum:

>> I plans to add some doc on menu config soon.
>>

> Hello Bean,
>
> It is nice to know about your project. I hope it can be in main line grub soon. Eagerly waiting for that and also for your doc.

Till now Bean ignored all our requests to work on merging these changes
in the mainline or experimental. Unless he collaborates on merging there
is nothing we can do.
> With best wishes

Regards

@ 2009-10-28 16:55   ` J. Bakshi