* Off-line xfsrestore to avoid level 0 dumps
@ 2009-11-24 16:03 Oliver Hitz
From: Oliver Hitz @ 2009-11-24 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xfs

Hi all,

We have to back up several fairly large XFS filesystem (multiple TB)
using xfsdump to a remote server (no tape drive involved, all on disks).

In order to avoid doing level 0 dumps every now and then, we came up
with the idea of constructing level 0 dumps off-line:

- xfsrestore of the latest level 0 dump to a temporary location
- xfsrestore of the latest level 1 dump
- xfsdump -l 0 of this location to create the new level 0 dump

By setting the time of the next level 1 dump (using the -t switch), we
can then force the dump time to that of our artificial level 0 dump.

Has anybody done this before? Can anybody see any issues with this
approach? We wouldn't want to end up with a solution where our
artificial level 0 dump drifts off from the real content of the
filesystem.

Thanks in advance for any feedback

Oliver