* about headers_instal
@ 2009-11-26  3:11 Zhi Li
From: Zhi Li @ 2009-11-26  3:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kbuild

Hello,

I'm building OS via LFS similar mode. Now I'm trying to build kernel
2.6.31.5, then upon it building application packages. Now my trouble
is on those header files generated by kernel build option -
"header_install". Until now I met 2 problems:
1)  2.6.31.5 generated several include sub folders: asm, asm-generic,
drm, linux, mtd, rdma, scsi, sound, video, xen. After I copied them
into /usr/include, I found some packages like cdrtools, eject, hdparm,
util-linux can not be compiled, because in scsi/scsi.h line 145 "u8"
is undefined. I checked it, it seems that u8 definition is for kernel
build not for application.
2)  perl (5.8.8) and raidtools (1.00.3) need "asm/page.h", but there's
none generated.

Previously, I built my system under kernel 2.6.27.7. There's no above
problems. Could some kindly answer my questions?

Thanks a lot.
Zhi

* Re: about headers_instal
@ 2009-11-27  5:49 ` Sam Ravnborg
From: Sam Ravnborg @ 2009-11-27  5:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zhi Li; +Cc: linux-kbuild

On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 11:11:50AM +0800, Zhi Li wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm building OS via LFS similar mode. Now I'm trying to build kernel
> 2.6.31.5, then upon it building application packages. Now my trouble
> is on those header files generated by kernel build option -
> "header_install". Until now I met 2 problems:
> 1)  2.6.31.5 generated several include sub folders: asm, asm-generic,
> drm, linux, mtd, rdma, scsi, sound, video, xen. After I copied them
> into /usr/include, I found some packages like cdrtools, eject, hdparm,
> util-linux can not be compiled, because in scsi/scsi.h line 145 "u8"
> is undefined. I checked it, it seems that u8 definition is for kernel
> build not for application.

The scsi headers have know shortcomings.
In a normal build setup the scsi headers comes in via the glibc
provided headers. Fix up your build so you uses the glibc provided headers
and you should be fine.

> 2)  perl (5.8.8) and raidtools (1.00.3) need "asm/page.h", but there's
> none generated.
page.h is a kernel internal header. The applications should not
rely on this header.
On my box /usr/include does not contain a file named page.h??

Investigate why these tools needs page.h.
- From where is it included
- What happens if you drop the include
- etc.

	Sam