* Dash fails to compile on UTF-8 with the Coreutils i18n patch
@ 2009-11-30  0:54 William Immendorf
From: William Immendorf @ 2009-11-30  0:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dash

Hello,

I think you might rember this madness if you were around the LFS/BLFS
lists and this list:

http://linuxfromscratch.org/pipermail/blfs-support/2009-August/065714.html
http://linuxfromscratch.org/pipermail/lfs-dev/2009-August/063125.html
http://www.mail-archive.com/dash@vger.kernel.org/msg00151.html

As of now, HEAD still fails with the exact same error!!!!!! The
solution: Change all LC_COLLATES to LC_CTYPES in mkbuiltins, and it
should work on the affected (Both LFS and Fedora), and on ones that
aren't affected. Please, can you dash that fix out for me?

--
William Immendorf
The ultimate in free computing.

--------------

* Re: Dash fails to compile on UTF-8 with the Coreutils i18n patch
@ 2009-11-30  6:36 ` Herbert Xu
       [not found]   ` <62234dc60911300509n7c7b28b5n9b668c28e01b431e@mail.gmail.com>
From: Herbert Xu @ 2009-11-30  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William Immendorf; +Cc: dash

William Immendorf <will.immendorf@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I think you might rember this madness if you were around the LFS/BLFS
> lists and this list:
>
> http://linuxfromscratch.org/pipermail/blfs-support/2009-August/065714.html
> http://linuxfromscratch.org/pipermail/lfs-dev/2009-August/063125.html
> http://www.mail-archive.com/dash@vger.kernel.org/msg00151.html
>
> As of now, HEAD still fails with the exact same error!!!!!! The
> solution: Change all LC_COLLATES to LC_CTYPES in mkbuiltins, and it
> should work on the affected (Both LFS and Fedora), and on ones that
> aren't affected. Please, can you dash that fix out for me?

Well the fix just papers over the issue.

If you can reproduce the problem, please

1) Confirm that setting LC_CTYPES on the sed command only in
mkbuiltins also fixes the issue;
2) See if [[:lower:]] instead of [a-z] fixes the problem without
LC_CTYPES.

Email: Herbert Xu ~{PmV>HI~} <herbert@gondor.apana.org.au>

@ 2009-12-01  1:27     ` William Immendorf
From: William Immendorf @ 2009-12-01  1:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dash

On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 12:36 AM, Herbert Xu
<herbert@gondor.apana.org.au> wrote:
> If you can reproduce the problem, please
>
> 1) Confirm that setting LC_CTYPES on the sed command only in
> mkbuiltins also fixes the issue;
> 2) See if [[:lower:]] instead of [a-z] fixes the problem without
> LC_CTYPES.
Herbert,

I'm not talking about sed. I'm talking about the sort commands in
mkbuiltins. The known fix is to change both of the LC_COLLATE=C stuff
to LC_CTYPE=C, and that works.

--
William Immendorf
The ultimate in free computing.

--------------

and if you use the program, he is your master."  Richard Stallman

--

@ 2009-12-01  3:03     ` Herbert Xu
From: Herbert Xu @ 2009-12-01  3:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William Immendorf

On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 07:09:19AM -0600, William Immendorf wrote:

> I'm not talking about sed. I'm talking about the sort commands in
> mkbuiltins. The known fix is to change both of the LC_COLLATE=C stuff
> to LC_CTYPE=C, and that works.

Please check the archive, we have already established that sort
isn't the issue, it simply papers over the fact that sed didn't
cut out the necessary fields.

Cheers,

@ 2009-12-01  3:09       ` William Immendorf
From: William Immendorf @ 2009-12-01  3:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dash

On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 9:03 PM, Herbert Xu <herbert@gondor.apana.org.au> wrote:
> Please check the archive, we have already established that sort
> isn't the issue, it simply papers over the fact that sed didn't
> cut out the necessary fields.
Herbert, have you lost your mind?!?!?! It's not about Sed, it's about
the i18n enabled sort, and the fact you have to use LC_CTYPE instead
of LC_COLLATE to get it to compile under LFS 6.5 with en_US.UTF-8.
Please, at least fix this issue as soon as possible.