* RE: RDMAoE verbs questions
       [not found]   ` <2ED289D4E09FBD4D92D911E869B97FDD01CBE494-ia22CT07NJfiMCgWhms8HQC/G2K4zDHf@public.gmane.org>
@ 2009-12-01 16:22     ` Liran Liss
       [not found]       ` <2ED289D4E09FBD4D92D911E869B97FDD01D0D6F9-ia22CT07NJfiMCgWhms8HQC/G2K4zDHf@public.gmane.org>
From: Liran Liss @ 2009-12-01 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Gunthorpe
  Cc: Eli Cohen, Jeff Squyres, linux-rdma-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

> Dealing with ABI compatability is a different issue, this new scheme
is API incompatible due to the change in semantics for existing values.

For rdmacm applications, there are no semantic changes between IB and
RDMAoE.

> Please look at my message regarding using multiple devices, perhaps
you can improve on that general idea.

RDMAoE *is* IB transport over Ethernet - we don't want different devices
with different node types exactly for this reason: applications
shouldn't care if they are running over IB or RDMAoE, and shouldn't add
another switch statement to support RDMAoE.
In addiiton, any existing rdmacm app can work transparently over RDMAoE
without recompilation or relinking.

* RE: RDMAoE verbs questions
       [not found]       ` <2ED289D4E09FBD4D92D911E869B97FDD01D0D6F9-ia22CT07NJfiMCgWhms8HQC/G2K4zDHf@public.gmane.org>
@ 2009-12-01 16:27         ` Sean Hefty
       [not found]           ` <44B4931AF8354AF3BABCCA052150D2BA-Zpru7NauK7drdx17CPfAsdBPR1lH4CV8@public.gmane.org>
From: Sean Hefty @ 2009-12-01 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Liran Liss', Jason Gunthorpe
  Cc: Eli Cohen, Jeff Squyres, linux-rdma-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

>RDMAoE *is* IB transport over Ethernet

RDMAoE carries something that looks a lot like IB L3 or an IPv6 header, so it
isn't exactly IB transport over Ethernet.

* RE: RDMAoE verbs questions
       [not found]           ` <44B4931AF8354AF3BABCCA052150D2BA-Zpru7NauK7drdx17CPfAsdBPR1lH4CV8@public.gmane.org>
@ 2009-12-01 17:00             ` Liran Liss
       [not found]               ` <2ED289D4E09FBD4D92D911E869B97FDD01D0D792-ia22CT07NJfiMCgWhms8HQC/G2K4zDHf@public.gmane.org>
From: Liran Liss @ 2009-12-01 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sean Hefty, Jason Gunthorpe
  Cc: Eli Cohen, Jeff Squyres, linux-rdma-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

The issue is that from an rdmacm app's point of view - there is no
visible difference between IB and RDMAoE ports: both support the
complete set of Verbs, just as any IB transport provider.
Therefore, both ports should reside on a node with an IB transport type.

@ 2009-12-01 17:46         ` Jason Gunthorpe
       [not found]           ` <20091201174604.GO1966-ePGOBjL8dl3ta4EC/59zMFaTQe2KTcn/@public.gmane.org>
From: Jason Gunthorpe @ 2009-12-01 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Liran Liss; +Cc: Eli Cohen, Jeff Squyres, linux-rdma-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

On Tue, Dec 01, 2009 at 06:22:06PM +0200, Liran Liss wrote:
> > Dealing with ABI compatability is a different issue, this new scheme
> is API incompatible due to the change in semantics for existing values.
>
> For rdmacm applications, there are no semantic changes between IB and
> RDMAoE.

So? There are substantial semantic differences for *all* non-rdmacm
applications. Even common ones like OpenMPI. You propose to ignore them?

> > Please look at my message regarding using multiple devices, perhaps
> you can improve on that general idea.
>
> RDMAoE *is* IB transport over Ethernet - we don't want different devices
> with different node types exactly for this reason: applications
> shouldn't care if they are running over IB or RDMAoE, and shouldn't add
> another switch statement to support RDMAoE.

Nonsense. RDMAoE is no such thing, it is utterly incompatible with the
IB management model. It is some new protocol that is only about 90%
compatible with IB.

Apps using rdmacm shouldn't care one way or the other, apps that don't
*need* a new transport type.

Jason

* Re: RDMAoE verbs questions
@ 2009-12-02  8:08                 ` Or Gerlitz
       [not found]                   ` <000001ca732d$1f99b4d0$5ecd1e70$@com>
From: Or Gerlitz @ 2009-12-02  8:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Liran Liss
  Cc: Sean Hefty, Jason Gunthorpe, Eli Cohen, Jeff Squyres,
	linux-rdma-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

Liran Liss wrote:
> from an rdmacm app's point of view - there is no visible difference between IB and RDMAoE ports: both support the complete set of Verbs, just as any IB transport provider

wrong,  local (loopback) communication aren't supported  with RDMAoE.

Or.

* RE: RDMAoE verbs questions
       [not found]           ` <20091201174604.GO1966-ePGOBjL8dl3ta4EC/59zMFaTQe2KTcn/@public.gmane.org>
@ 2009-12-02 10:38             ` Liran Liss
       [not found]               ` <2ED289D4E09FBD4D92D911E869B97FDD01D647E2-ia22CT07NJfiMCgWhms8HQC/G2K4zDHf@public.gmane.org>
From: Liran Liss @ 2009-12-02 10:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Gunthorpe
  Cc: Eli Cohen, Jeff Squyres, linux-rdma-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

> So? There are substantial semantic differences for *all* non-rdmacm
applications. Even common ones like OpenMPI. You propose to ignore them?

On the contrary! Any application that *does* care what the link layer is
can look up a new field in port_attr (rather than a new node transport
type).
Applications that don't, both old and new, can continue as normal - no
changes to the code are required.

>> RDMAoE *is* IB transport over Ethernet - we don't want different
>> devices with different node types exactly for this reason:
>> applications shouldn't care if they are running over IB or RDMAoE,
and
>> shouldn't add another switch statement to support RDMAoE.

> Nonsense. RDMAoE is no such thing, it is utterly incompatible with the
IB management model. It is some new protocol that is only about 90%
compatible with IB.

You are missing the point here - RDMAoE is 100% compatible with IB at
the *transport* level, as reflected by the Verbs.
The point that the management model is different is true, but
irrelevant. The only transport-related issue that matters is addressing,
but for user-space apps, it is completely abstracted by the rdmacm.

Non-rdmacm apps fall into 2 main categories:
1. IB management+diagnostics apps - these are irrelevant for an Eth
network anyway.
2. High-performance middleware such as MPI and SHMEM - these perform
optimizations according to the link protocol anyway.

So, all relevant apps will work great with either IB or RDMAoE, in a
transparent manner.

* RE: RDMAoE verbs questions
       [not found]                   ` <000001ca732d$1f99b4d0$5ecd1e70$@com>
@ 2009-12-02 10:49                     ` Liran Liss
From: Liran Liss @ 2009-12-02 10:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Grun, Or Gerlitz
  Cc: Sean Hefty, Jason Gunthorpe, Eli Cohen, Jeff Squyres,
	linux-rdma-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

Hi Paul, you are not missing anything - lookback communication will work
in RDMAoE just as in IB.
--Liran

From: Or Gerlitz @ 2009-12-02 10:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Grun
  Cc: 'Liran Liss', 'Sean Hefty',
	'Jason Gunthorpe', 'Eli Cohen',
	'Jeff Squyres',

Paul Grun wrote:
> Why do you say that Or?
I said that b/c the latest patch set posted by Mellanox doesn't support
loopback, I hear now that this was a temporal limitation which will be
removed, let it be.

Or.

* Re: RDMAoE verbs questions
@ 2009-12-02 17:33                 ` Jason Gunthorpe
       [not found]                   ` <20091202173314.GP1966-ePGOBjL8dl3ta4EC/59zMFaTQe2KTcn/@public.gmane.org>
From: Jason Gunthorpe @ 2009-12-02 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Liran Liss; +Cc: Eli Cohen, Jeff Squyres, linux-rdma-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

On Wed, Dec 02, 2009 at 12:38:31PM +0200, Liran Liss wrote:

> > So? There are substantial semantic differences for *all* non-rdmacm
> > applications. Even common ones like OpenMPI. You propose to ignore them?
>
> On the contrary! Any application that *does* care what the link layer is
> can look up a new field in port_attr (rather than a new node transport
> type).
> Applications that don't, both old and new, can continue as normal - no
> changes to the code are required.

Existing apps rely on transport_type == IBV_TRANSPORT_IB to indicate IB
management is present. There are many examples of this.

The art of API compatability is to not break existing old apps, so you
don't get to change the meaning of transport_type == IBV_TRANSPORT_IB
to mean 'it is only IB verbs like'. That breaks the API.

Adding a new field to port_attr preserves functionality but not
compatability. I hope you understand the difference.

> So, all relevant apps will work great with either IB or RDMAoE, in a
> transparent manner.

No, they won't. They will see transport_type == IBV_TRANSPORT_IB and
attempt to do PR queries to the SM. That won't work on RDMAoE.

Jason

* RE: RDMAoE verbs questions
       [not found]                   ` <20091202173314.GP1966-ePGOBjL8dl3ta4EC/59zMFaTQe2KTcn/@public.gmane.org>
@ 2009-12-03 18:26                     ` Liran Liss
From: Liran Liss @ 2009-12-03 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Gunthorpe
  Cc: Eli Cohen, Jeff Squyres, linux-rdma-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

> Existing apps rely on transport_type == IBV_TRANSPORT_IB to indicate
IB management is present. There are many examples of this.
> The art of API compatability is to not break existing old apps, so you
don't get to change the meaning of transport_type == IBV_TRANSPORT_IB to
mean 'it is only IB verbs like'. That breaks the API.
> Adding a new field to port_attr preserves functionality but not
compatability. I hope you understand the difference.

I understand exactly what you mean, but I want to propose another way of
looking at the compatibility issue:

IB management is a network service. Just as an administrator might
mistakenly try to access an FTP server over a wrong eth interface, an IB
admin can mistakenly run an IB management application (or a non-rdmacm
app that is incompatible with RDMAoE) on a RDMAoE port. In both cases,
the service is unreachable, but otherwise no harm is done.
Basically, IB management is "supported" by RDMAoE --- you use the same
verbs to access it but you don't get any answers...
(Of course that it terms of implementation, we can choose to drop SMPs
or non-CM MADs rather then sending them on the wire.)

There is a tradeoff here between transparently supporting existing
rdmacm apps versus making sure that non-rdmacm apps that may come across
an RDMAoE port do not attempt to use it.
Given the fact that rdmacm has become a preferred approach, and that for
non-rdmacm apps the worst case effect is that of being unable to create
a connection through a port that they were not designed to support to
begin with, we prefer the approach that we proposed.

* Re: RDMAoE verbs questions
       [not found]                             ` <20091209214843.GM6188-ePGOBjL8dl3ta4EC/59zMFaTQe2KTcn/@public.gmane.org>
@ 2009-12-09 22:31                               ` Eli Cohen
From: Eli Cohen @ 2009-12-09 22:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Gunthorpe
  Cc: Roland Dreier, Jeff Squyres, linux-rdma-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

On Wed, Dec 09, 2009 at 02:48:43PM -0700, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> Also, if we really must do this, can you please send a patch to Roland
> that at least adds the constants for IB, ASAP. Ideally to be included
> in OFED 1.5.
>
> At least that way people can make updates to check it prior to RDMAoE
> actually appearing..

Sure, I'll send the patch tomorrow and and it will be in the next
OFED-RDMAoE build too.

* Re: RDMAoE verbs questions
       [not found]                         ` <adak4wwrmpq.fsf-BjVyx320WGW9gfZ95n9DRSW4+XlvGpQz@public.gmane.org>
@ 2009-12-09 21:48                           ` Jason Gunthorpe
       [not found]                             ` <20091209214843.GM6188-ePGOBjL8dl3ta4EC/59zMFaTQe2KTcn/@public.gmane.org>
From: Jason Gunthorpe @ 2009-12-09 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roland Dreier; +Cc: Eli Cohen, Jeff Squyres, linux-rdma-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

@ 2009-12-09 19:06                       ` Roland Dreier
       [not found]                         ` <adak4wwrmpq.fsf-BjVyx320WGW9gfZ95n9DRSW4+XlvGpQz@public.gmane.org>
From: Roland Dreier @ 2009-12-09 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Cohen
  Cc: Jason Gunthorpe, Jeff Squyres, linux-rdma-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

 > It looks good to me. Thanks, I will take it for RDMAoE.

Great... as Jason suggested, please also add in the appropriate reserved
fields to pad the struct to a 32 bit boundary and zero them in the
wrapper.  So if there is a next time we don't have this problem again.

 - R.

* Re: RDMAoE verbs questions
       [not found]                   ` <ada1vjaukx8.fsf-BjVyx320WGW9gfZ95n9DRSW4+XlvGpQz@public.gmane.org>
@ 2009-12-07 17:25                     ` Eli Cohen
From: Eli Cohen @ 2009-12-07 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roland Dreier
  Cc: Jason Gunthorpe, Jeff Squyres, linux-rdma-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

@ 2009-12-05  4:16                     ` Jason Gunthorpe
From: Jason Gunthorpe @ 2009-12-05  4:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roland Dreier; +Cc: Eli Cohen, Jeff Squyres, linux-rdma-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

On Fri, Dec 04, 2009 at 08:03:31PM -0800, Roland Dreier wrote:

> then I think legacy apps should be OK (port_attr size doesn't change,
> binary compat is still there), and new apps that do check link_layer
> should also be OK ... if they use an old library and/or old driver,
> they'll see LINK_LAYER_UNSPECIFIED, which means that IBoE is not supported.
>
> What do you think, does this work?

Yeah, that should be fine, quite sneaky indeed..

Maybe zero the whole padding though, for future?

Jason

* Re: RDMAoE verbs questions
       [not found]               ` <20091130190345.GV6188-ePGOBjL8dl3ta4EC/59zMFaTQe2KTcn/@public.gmane.org>
@ 2009-12-05  4:03                 ` Roland Dreier
       [not found]                   ` <ada1vjaukx8.fsf-BjVyx320WGW9gfZ95n9DRSW4+XlvGpQz@public.gmane.org>
From: Roland Dreier @ 2009-12-05  4:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Gunthorpe
  Cc: Eli Cohen, Jeff Squyres, linux-rdma-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

       [not found]     ` <4B0CDBEC.1030203-smomgflXvOZWk0Htik3J/w@public.gmane.org>
@ 2009-12-02 12:12       ` Eli Cohen
From: Eli Cohen @ 2009-12-02 12:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Or Gerlitz; +Cc: Jeff Squyres, Liran Liss, linux-rdma-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 09:25:32AM +0200, Or Gerlitz wrote:
> Liran, where this limitation comes from? isn't the HCA supporting
> bridging (loopback connections) for RDMAoE? if this is the case
> maybe you should add a device capability to mark that.

Loopback support is not complete and is a temporary limitation. It
will be fixed in the near future.

* Re: RDMAoE verbs questions
@ 2009-12-01 21:00               ` Christoph Lameter
From: Christoph Lameter @ 2009-12-01 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Cohen
  Cc: Jeff Squyres, Jason Gunthorpe, linux-rdma-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

On Tue, 1 Dec 2009, Eli Cohen wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 09:03:47AM -0500, Jeff Squyres wrote:
> > Per my prior question: is it expected that IBoE will function
> > *exactly* the same as real IB?  The addition of the port attribute
> > seems to imply not.
>
> IBoE and IB should work exactly the same from the perspective of a
> user level application that makes use of rdmacm to create connections.
> Such apps can ignore the new attribute. And we believe this should
> cover the vast majority of apps.  The new port attribute optionally
> allows the distinction for apps that need it (e.g. those that do not
> use the rdmacm, apps that have a reason to prefer one over the other
> when there is a choice, etc).

rdmacm only? I would expect syscall API compatibility? For our use case
this needs to work with multicast traffic.

* Re: RDMAoE verbs questions
       [not found]                   ` <20091125173917.GK1966-ePGOBjL8dl3ta4EC/59zMFaTQe2KTcn/@public.gmane.org>
@ 2009-12-01 20:58                     ` Christoph Lameter
From: Christoph Lameter @ 2009-12-01 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Gunthorpe
  Cc: Eli Cohen, Jeff Squyres, Tziporet Koren,
	linux-rdma-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA, Eli Cohen

On Wed, 25 Nov 2009, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> If you have a single physical chip with two ports and they are running
> different protocols it seems much cleaner to me to report it to verbs
> apps as two devices.
>
> Doing this avoids creating compatability problems.

Right. Mellanox has some limitation between how each port can be
configured. But that could also be checked with two independent devices.

* Re: RDMAoE verbs questions
       [not found]               ` <5AEC2602AE03EB46BFC16C6B9B200DA81691763FEA-e4KNYiSEog6Xx9kJd3VG2h2eb7JE58TQ@public.gmane.org>
@ 2009-12-01 16:46                 ` Eli Cohen
From: Eli Cohen @ 2009-12-01 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Todd Rimmer
  Cc: Roland Dreier, Jason Gunthorpe, Jeff Squyres,

On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 02:01:45PM -0600, Todd Rimmer wrote:

> If a given architecture rounds sizeof(transport) up to 16 bits or 32 bits, then the replacement field should be uint16_t or uint32_t respectively, otherwise existing binary applications which fetch transport will fetch additional undefined bytes which follow it in the new structure.
>
> The big question is whether all presently supported architectures use the same size for enum?
>
> I did a quicky test program and on SLES10 x86_64 sizeof(an enum) is 32 bits.  Hence uint8_t would break binary compatibility on that platform.

You probably refer to binary compatibility between defferent versions
of the RDMAoE libibverbs (e.g. the one with enum and the one with
uint8_t). I think this is not a big issue and recompiling should solve
that.

* Re: RDMAoE verbs questions
       [not found]           ` <adaiqcrx2xx.fsf-BjVyx320WGW9gfZ95n9DRSW4+XlvGpQz@public.gmane.org>
@ 2009-12-01 14:42             ` Eli Cohen
From: Eli Cohen @ 2009-12-01 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roland Dreier
  Cc: Jason Gunthorpe, Jeff Squyres, linux-rdma-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 10:50:02AM -0800, Roland Dreier wrote:

> I was thinking the same thing, although maybe a name like "link_layer"
> would be clearer?

Sure, that's cleaer - I'll change that.

* Re: RDMAoE verbs questions
       [not found]           ` <5A90523D-56AE-4675-AA39-B6876FB32999-FYB4Gu1CFyUAvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
@ 2009-12-01 14:28             ` Eli Cohen
From: Eli Cohen @ 2009-12-01 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Squyres; +Cc: Jason Gunthorpe, linux-rdma-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 09:03:47AM -0500, Jeff Squyres wrote:
> Per my prior question: is it expected that IBoE will function
> *exactly* the same as real IB?  The addition of the port attribute
> seems to imply not.

IBoE and IB should work exactly the same from the perspective of a
user level application that makes use of rdmacm to create connections.
Such apps can ignore the new attribute. And we believe this should
cover the vast majority of apps.  The new port attribute optionally
allows the distinction for apps that need it (e.g. those that do not
use the rdmacm, apps that have a reason to prefer one over the other
when there is a choice, etc).

> Additionally, per Jason's question, why not simply expose this as an
> additional device?  E.g., can you APM across a real IB port and an
> IBoE port on the same CX2?  I'm guessing that they're *effectively*
> different devices; it might make sense expose them as different
> virtual device_t's.  Just my $0.02.

Yes. It should be possible to do APM across them. And with the ABI
compatible link-protocol attribute we see no reason to force the
isolation.

@ 2009-11-30 20:01             ` Todd Rimmer
From: Todd Rimmer @ 2009-11-30 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roland Dreier, Eli Cohen
  Cc: Jason Gunthorpe, Jeff Squyres, linux-rdma-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

>  > diff --git a/include/infiniband/verbs.h b/include/infiniband/verbs.h
>  > index 07d4395..f7fe68d 100644
>  > --- a/include/infiniband/verbs.h
>  > +++ b/include/infiniband/verbs.h
>  > @@ -192,7 +192,7 @@ struct ibv_port_attr {
>  >         uint8_t                 active_width;
>  >         uint8_t                 active_speed;
>  >         uint8_t                 phys_state;
>  > -       enum rdma_transport_type transport;
>  > +       uint8_t                 transport;

If a given architecture rounds sizeof(transport) up to 16 bits or 32 bits, then the replacement field should be uint16_t or uint32_t respectively, otherwise existing binary applications which fetch transport will fetch additional undefined bytes which follow it in the new structure.

The big question is whether all presently supported architectures use the same size for enum?

I did a quicky test program and on SLES10 x86_64 sizeof(an enum) is 32 bits.  Hence uint8_t would break binary compatibility on that platform.

Todd Rimmer

@ 2009-11-30 19:03             ` Jason Gunthorpe
       [not found]               ` <20091130190345.GV6188-ePGOBjL8dl3ta4EC/59zMFaTQe2KTcn/@public.gmane.org>
From: Jason Gunthorpe @ 2009-11-30 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roland Dreier; +Cc: Eli Cohen, Jeff Squyres, linux-rdma-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

@ 2009-11-30 18:50         ` Roland Dreier
       [not found]           ` <adaiqcrx2xx.fsf-BjVyx320WGW9gfZ95n9DRSW4+XlvGpQz@public.gmane.org>
From: Roland Dreier @ 2009-11-30 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Cohen
  Cc: Jason Gunthorpe, Jeff Squyres, linux-rdma-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

@ 2009-11-30 17:21         ` Jason Gunthorpe
From: Jason Gunthorpe @ 2009-11-30 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Cohen; +Cc: Jeff Squyres, linux-rdma-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

@ 2009-11-30 14:03         ` Jeff Squyres
       [not found]           ` <5A90523D-56AE-4675-AA39-B6876FB32999-FYB4Gu1CFyUAvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: Jeff Squyres @ 2009-11-30 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Cohen; +Cc: Jason Gunthorpe, linux-rdma-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

On Nov 30, 2009, at 8:34 AM, Eli Cohen wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 05:11:36PM -0700, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> > On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 06:23:15PM -0500, Jeff Squyres wrote:
> >
> > > 2. I am somewhat confused by the overloading of the term
> "transport".
> > > It appears that a device will have
> > > ibv_device.transport_type==IBV_TRANSPORT_IB for both IB and RDMAOE
> > > devices.  The only way to tell the difference is to examine the
> new
> > > ibv_port_attr.transport field to see if it is RDMA_TRANSPORT_IB or
> > > RDMA_TRANSPORT_RDMAOE.
> >
> > I haven't seen these patches but this seems poor to me. I think any
> > app that isn't using rdmacm will need patching and support for
> RDMAOE
> > (certainly all mine will). libibverbs shouldn't overload the
> existing
> > transport_type checks for something that is not 100% compatible with
> > IB.
> >
> > Is the same true for openmpi? If you try to run it as is on a RDMAOE
> > interface will it work? If not I think that alone should kill this
> > idea..
> >
> If we change struct ibv_port_attr transport field from enum to uint8,
> we eliminate binary compatibility problems. That's because the
> previous
> filed is aligned to 16 bits address so that leaves us 16 bits more.
>
> diff --git a/include/infiniband/verbs.h b/include/infiniband/verbs.h
> index 07d4395..f7fe68d 100644
> --- a/include/infiniband/verbs.h
> +++ b/include/infiniband/verbs.h
> @@ -192,7 +192,7 @@ struct ibv_port_attr {
>         uint8_t                 active_width;
>         uint8_t                 active_speed;
>         uint8_t                 phys_state;
> -       enum rdma_transport_type transport;
> +       uint8_t                 transport;
>  };
>
> Moreover, I would like to change the field's name from transport to
> link_protocl. Let me know if that makes more sense to you.

> rdma" in
> the body of a message to majordomo-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA@public.gmane.org

Jeff Squyres
jsquyres-FYB4Gu1CFyUAvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org

* Re: RDMAoE verbs questions
       [not found]             ` <4B0D4660.5060701-smomgflXvOZWk0Htik3J/w@public.gmane.org>
@ 2009-11-30 13:54               ` Jeff Squyres
From: Jeff Squyres @ 2009-11-30 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Or Gerlitz
  Cc: pasha-LDSdmyG8hGV8YrgS2mwiifqBs+8SCbDb,
	linux-rdma-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

Sorry -- I replied from my PDA last week but the list rejected the mail.

All I have is what was sent to the OMPI list (although I see Pasha
attached the patch in a later mail on this thread).  Note that we
(OMPI) tend to operate a bit differently than OpenFabrics -- we don't
typically send patches to lists, we don't typically use git, etc.

--
Jeff Squyres
jsquyres-FYB4Gu1CFyUAvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org

* Re: RDMAoE verbs questions
       [not found]     ` <20091125001136.GP6188-ePGOBjL8dl3ta4EC/59zMFaTQe2KTcn/@public.gmane.org>
@ 2009-11-30 13:34       ` Eli Cohen
                           ` (2 more replies)
From: Eli Cohen @ 2009-11-30 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Gunthorpe, Jeff Squyres; +Cc: linux-rdma-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

       [not found]                         ` <4B0E43BA.6070700-LDSdmyG8hGV8YrgS2mwiifqBs+8SCbDb@public.gmane.org>
@ 2009-11-26 11:16                           ` Or Gerlitz
From: Or Gerlitz @ 2009-11-26 11:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pasha-LDSdmyG8hGV8YrgS2mwiifqBs+8SCbDb
  Cc: Jeff Squyres, linux-rdma-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

Pavel Shamis (Pasha) wrote:
> The only reason for this changes is the fact that for IB devices we
> prefer to use our own open mpi connection managers. In case if we will
> decide to use RDMA-CM for all devices the number of changes will be zero...

whatever, currently, this change is still there, and best if you remove it
and find another way to set this predicate.

> So we decided to use the current ompi code as is, in future maybe we will
> implement own ompi rdmacm code that will not have all this work around flows.

just to make sure I am with you, all in all, only one patch is proposed to ompi for
rdmaoe support and is the patch which we discuss above, this patch does three things:

1. changes BTL_OPENIB_CONNECT_BASE_CHECK_IF_NOT_IB to look on the port transport type
2. if the port transport is rdmaoe don't run loopback connections on IB
3. some change in the qp destroy logic
4. that's it...

correct? can you comment on #2? why loopback connections aren't supported?

Or.

* Re: RDMAoE verbs questions
       [not found]                     ` <4B0E2DA7.7060809-smomgflXvOZWk0Htik3J/w@public.gmane.org>
@ 2009-11-26  9:00                       ` Pavel Shamis (Pasha)
       [not found]                         ` <4B0E43BA.6070700-LDSdmyG8hGV8YrgS2mwiifqBs+8SCbDb@public.gmane.org>
From: Pavel Shamis (Pasha) @ 2009-11-26  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Or Gerlitz; +Cc: Jeff Squyres, linux-rdma-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

Or Gerlitz wrote:
> Pavel Shamis (Pasha) wrote:
>> The patch is attached
> Thanks, this patch basically replaces checks for the device transport
> type to be IB to a check that makes sure either the former happens or
> the port transport type is rdmaoe. As Jason, Tziporet and noted, the
> port transport type seems to be bad and non-comapatible/operable idea,
> so it should and probably could be avoided.
The only reason for this changes is the fact that for IB devices we
prefer to use our own open mpi connection managers. In case if we will
decide to use RDMA-CM for all devices the number of changes will be zero...

> I see another patch @
> http://www.open-mpi.org/community/lists/devel/2009/11/7063.php
> can you send that one as well. The you sent patch isn't signed so I
> can't address the author in further replies (unless you are the
> author), also it wasn't generated with the -p option of diff which
> would show for each change what is the effected function, doing so
> would help in the review.
Ohh. It was our first patch. Some of iwarp devices have the "first
packet" issue. So the RDMACM code in Ompi have bunch of work-around code
that try to resolve the issue on MPI level. We don't have such problems
with IB, so we tried to disable the work-around flow for IB devices, but
it did not work well. So we decided to use the current ompi code as is,
in future maybe we will implement own ompi rdmacm code that will not
have all this work around flows.

Regards,

Pasha

* Re: RDMAoE verbs questions
       [not found]                 ` <4B0D8FD2.9000702-LDSdmyG8hGV8YrgS2mwiifqBs+8SCbDb@public.gmane.org>
@ 2009-11-26  7:26                   ` Or Gerlitz
       [not found]                     ` <4B0E2DA7.7060809-smomgflXvOZWk0Htik3J/w@public.gmane.org>
From: Or Gerlitz @ 2009-11-26  7:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pasha-LDSdmyG8hGV8YrgS2mwiifqBs+8SCbDb
  Cc: Jeff Squyres, linux-rdma-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

@ 2009-11-25 20:13               ` Pavel Shamis (Pasha)
       [not found]                 ` <4B0D8FD2.9000702-LDSdmyG8hGV8YrgS2mwiifqBs+8SCbDb@public.gmane.org>
From: Pavel Shamis (Pasha) @ 2009-11-25 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Or Gerlitz; +Cc: Jeff Squyres, linux-rdma-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

Or,
The patch is attached.

Regards,
Pasha.

Or Gerlitz wrote:
> Jeff Squyres wrote:
>> Here's one thread:
>> http://www.open-mpi.org/community/lists/devel/2009/11/7063.php
> Jeff, looking on the threads you have sent, I didn't find a way to
> download the patch in a form which can be applied on a source tree, is
> there a way to do it through this archive? are these patches available
> from some git tree @mellanox or elsewhere? does anyone have the email
> address of Vasily Philipov (/vasily_at_[hidden]/), if yes, can you op
> Pasha please ask him to send me or better, this list the proposed
> patch, many thanks.
>
> Or

[-- Attachment #2: rdmaoe.patch --]

diff -r 16b0d6d73529 ompi/config/ompi_check_openib.m4
--- a/ompi/config/ompi_check_openib.m4	Tue Nov 03 20:00:16 2009 -0800
+++ b/ompi/config/ompi_check_openib.m4	Sun Nov 15 14:58:37 2009 +0200
@@ -13,7 +13,7 @@
 # Copyright (c) 2006-2008 Cisco Systems, Inc.  All rights reserved.
 # Copyright (c) 2006-2007 Los Alamos National Security, LLC.  All rights
 #                         reserved.
-# Copyright (c) 2006-2008 Mellanox Technologies. All rights reserved.
+# Copyright (c) 2006-2009 Mellanox Technologies. All rights reserved.
 # $COPYRIGHT$
 #
 # Additional copyrights may follow
@@ -204,6 +204,21 @@
                        [$1_have_ibcm=1
                        $1_LIBS="-libcm $$1_LIBS"])])
            fi
+
+           # Check support for RDMAoE devices
+           $1_have_rdmaoe=0
+           AC_CHECK_DECLS([RDMA_TRANSPORT_RDMAOE],
+                          [$1_have_rdmaoe=1], [],
+                          [#include <infiniband/verbs.h>])
+
+           AC_MSG_CHECKING([if RDMAoE support is enabled])
+           if test "1" = "$$1_have_rdmaoe"; then
+                AC_DEFINE_UNQUOTED([OMPI_HAVE_RDMAOE], [$$1_have_rdmaoe], [Enable RDMAoE support])
+                AC_MSG_RESULT([yes])
+           else
+                AC_MSG_RESULT([no])
+           fi
+
           ])

     # Check to see if <infiniband/driver.h> works.  It is known to
diff -r 16b0d6d73529 ompi/mca/btl/openib/btl_openib.c
--- a/ompi/mca/btl/openib/btl_openib.c	Tue Nov 03 20:00:16 2009 -0800
+++ b/ompi/mca/btl/openib/btl_openib.c	Sun Nov 15 14:58:37 2009 +0200
@@ -354,6 +354,13 @@
         }
 #endif

+#ifdef OMPI_HAVE_RDMAOE
+        if(RDMA_TRANSPORT_RDMAOE == (openib_btl->ib_port_attr.transport) &&
+                OPAL_PROC_ON_LOCAL_NODE(ompi_proc->proc_flags)) {
+            continue;
+        }
+#endif
+
         if(NULL == (ib_proc = mca_btl_openib_proc_create(ompi_proc))) {
             return OMPI_ERR_OUT_OF_RESOURCE;
         }
diff -r 16b0d6d73529 ompi/mca/btl/openib/connect/base.h
--- a/ompi/mca/btl/openib/connect/base.h	Tue Nov 03 20:00:16 2009 -0800
+++ b/ompi/mca/btl/openib/connect/base.h	Sun Nov 15 14:58:37 2009 +0200
@@ -1,6 +1,7 @@
 /*
  * Copyright (c) 2007-2008 Cisco Systems, Inc.  All rights reserved.
  *
+ * Copyright (c) 2009      Mellanox Technologies.  All rights reserved.
  * $COPYRIGHT$
  *
  * Additional copyrights may follow
@@ -13,6 +14,17 @@

 #include "connect/connect.h"

+#ifdef OMPI_HAVE_RDMAOE
+#define BTL_OPENIB_CONNECT_BASE_CHECK_IF_NOT_IB(btl)                       \
+        (((IBV_TRANSPORT_IB != ((btl)->device->ib_dev->transport_type)) || \
+        (RDMA_TRANSPORT_RDMAOE == ((btl)->ib_port_attr.transport))) ?      \
+        true : false)
+#else
+#define BTL_OPENIB_CONNECT_BASE_CHECK_IF_NOT_IB(btl)                       \
+        ((IBV_TRANSPORT_IB != ((btl)->device->ib_dev->transport_type)) ?   \
+        true : false)
+#endif
+
 BEGIN_C_DECLS

 /*
diff -r 16b0d6d73529 ompi/mca/btl/openib/connect/btl_openib_connect_ibcm.c
--- a/ompi/mca/btl/openib/connect/btl_openib_connect_ibcm.c	Tue Nov 03 20:00:16 2009 -0800
+++ b/ompi/mca/btl/openib/connect/btl_openib_connect_ibcm.c	Sun Nov 15 14:58:37 2009 +0200
@@ -1,6 +1,6 @@
 /*
  * Copyright (c) 2007-2009 Cisco Systems, Inc.  All rights reserved.
- * Copyright (c) 2008      Mellanox Technologies. All rights reserved.
+ * Copyright (c) 2008-2009 Mellanox Technologies. All rights reserved.
  *
  * $COPYRIGHT$
  *
@@ -653,7 +653,7 @@
        we're in an old version of OFED that is IB only (i.e., no
        iWarp), so we can safely assume that we can use this CPC. */
 #if defined(HAVE_STRUCT_IBV_DEVICE_TRANSPORT_TYPE)
-    if (IBV_TRANSPORT_IB != btl->device->ib_dev->transport_type) {
+    if (BTL_OPENIB_CONNECT_BASE_CHECK_IF_NOT_IB(btl)) {
         BTL_VERBOSE(("ibcm CPC only supported on InfiniBand; skipped on %s:%d",
                      ibv_get_device_name(btl->device->ib_dev),
                      openib_btl->port_num));
diff -r 16b0d6d73529 ompi/mca/btl/openib/connect/btl_openib_connect_oob.c
--- a/ompi/mca/btl/openib/connect/btl_openib_connect_oob.c	Tue Nov 03 20:00:16 2009 -0800
+++ b/ompi/mca/btl/openib/connect/btl_openib_connect_oob.c	Sun Nov 15 14:58:37 2009 +0200
@@ -12,7 +12,7 @@
  * Copyright (c) 2006-2009 Cisco Systems, Inc.  All rights reserved.
  * Copyright (c) 2006      Los Alamos National Security, LLC.  All rights
  *                         reserved.
- * Copyright (c) 2008      Mellanox Technologies.  All rights reserved.
+ * Copyright (c) 2008-2009 Mellanox Technologies.  All rights reserved.
  *
  * $COPYRIGHT$
  *
@@ -120,7 +120,7 @@
        transport_type member, then we must be < OFED v1.2, and
        therefore we must be IB. */
 #if defined(HAVE_STRUCT_IBV_DEVICE_TRANSPORT_TYPE)
-    if (IBV_TRANSPORT_IB != btl->device->ib_dev->transport_type) {
+    if (BTL_OPENIB_CONNECT_BASE_CHECK_IF_NOT_IB(btl)) {
         opal_output_verbose(5, mca_btl_base_output,
                             "openib BTL: oob CPC only supported on InfiniBand; skipped on  %s:%d",
                             ibv_get_device_name(btl->device->ib_dev),
diff -r 16b0d6d73529 ompi/mca/btl/openib/connect/btl_openib_connect_rdmacm.c
--- a/ompi/mca/btl/openib/connect/btl_openib_connect_rdmacm.c	Tue Nov 03 20:00:16 2009 -0800
+++ b/ompi/mca/btl/openib/connect/btl_openib_connect_rdmacm.c	Sun Nov 15 14:58:37 2009 +0200
@@ -1,7 +1,7 @@
 /*
  * Copyright (c) 2007-2009 Cisco Systems, Inc.  All rights reserved.
  * Copyright (c) 2007-2008 Chelsio, Inc. All rights reserved.
- * Copyright (c) 2008      Mellanox Technologies. All rights reserved.
+ * Copyright (c) 2008-2009 Mellanox Technologies. All rights reserved.
  * Copyright (c) 2009      Sandia National Laboratories. All rights reserved.
  *
  * $COPYRIGHT$
@@ -1158,10 +1158,15 @@
  */
 static int rdmacm_destroy_dummy_qp(id_context_t *context)
 {
-    if (NULL != context->id->qp) {
-        ibv_destroy_qp(context->id->qp);
-        context->id->qp = NULL;
+    /* We need to check id pointer because of retransmitions.
+                                 Maybe the reject was already done. */
+    if (NULL != context->id) {
+	    if (NULL != context->id->qp) {
+            ibv_destroy_qp(context->id->qp);
+            context->id->qp = NULL;
+        }
     }
+
     if (NULL != context->contents->dummy_cq) {
         ibv_destroy_cq(context->contents->dummy_cq);
     }

* Re: RDMAoE verbs questions
@ 2009-11-25 17:39                 ` Jason Gunthorpe
       [not found]                   ` <20091125173917.GK1966-ePGOBjL8dl3ta4EC/59zMFaTQe2KTcn/@public.gmane.org>
From: Jason Gunthorpe @ 2009-11-25 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Cohen
  Cc: Jeff Squyres, Tziporet Koren, linux-rdma-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA,
	Eli Cohen

On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 04:41:08PM +0200, Eli Cohen wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 09:30:40AM -0500, Jeff Squyres wrote:
> >
> > In practice, we have seen that applications *do* need to query the
> > transport type -- at least (real) IB vs. iWARP.  It is your
> > expectation that IB and IBoE will function identically?
> >
> > Can you discuss the "transport" vs. "transport_type" questions?
> >

> The reason for identifying each specific port with its own transport
> is to allow devices which may configure each port differently to be
> distinhishable. ConnectX is one such device.

As far as I can tell there is no reason for a multi-port device to
be represented through verbs as a single device with multiple
protocols.

       [not found]         ` <10904370-1D66-4013-BB3F-0F4B5EE581EE-FYB4Gu1CFyUAvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
@ 2009-11-25 14:59           ` Or Gerlitz
       [not found]             ` <4B0D4660.5060701-smomgflXvOZWk0Htik3J/w@public.gmane.org>
From: Or Gerlitz @ 2009-11-25 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Squyres
  Cc: pasha-LDSdmyG8hGV8YrgS2mwiifqBs+8SCbDb,

       [not found]             ` <7127F20E-2307-492D-B929-A6ACA5A74D14-FYB4Gu1CFyUAvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
@ 2009-11-25 14:41               ` Eli Cohen
From: Eli Cohen @ 2009-11-25 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Squyres
  Cc: Tziporet Koren, Jason Gunthorpe,

       [not found]         ` <4B0D3982.2040408-VPRAkNaXOzVS1MOuV/RT9w@public.gmane.org>
@ 2009-11-25 14:30           ` Jeff Squyres
       [not found]             ` <7127F20E-2307-492D-B929-A6ACA5A74D14-FYB4Gu1CFyUAvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: Jeff Squyres @ 2009-11-25 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tziporet Koren
  Cc: Jason Gunthorpe, linux-rdma-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA, Eli Cohen

On Nov 25, 2009, at 9:04 AM, Tziporet Koren wrote:

> Note that application does not need to query the transport type, but
> we
> thought it can be good to know also from debug perspective.
> Thus I think sysfs is the best place.

In practice, we have seen that applications *do* need to query the
transport type -- at least (real) IB vs. iWARP.  It is your
expectation that IB and IBoE will function identically?

Can you discuss the "transport" vs. "transport_type" questions?

Thanks!

--

@ 2009-11-25 14:04       ` Tziporet Koren
       [not found]         ` <4B0D3982.2040408-VPRAkNaXOzVS1MOuV/RT9w@public.gmane.org>
From: Tziporet Koren @ 2009-11-25 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Gunthorpe
  Cc: Jeff Squyres, linux-rdma-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA, Eli Cohen

Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 06:23:15PM -0500, Jeff Squyres wrote:
>

>> 2. I am somewhat confused by the overloading of the term "transport".
>> It appears that a device will have
>> ibv_device.transport_type==IBV_TRANSPORT_IB for both IB and RDMAOE
>> devices.  The only way to tell the difference is to examine the new
>> ibv_port_attr.transport field to see if it is RDMA_TRANSPORT_IB or
>> RDMA_TRANSPORT_RDMAOE.
>>

> I haven't seen these patches but this seems poor to me. I think any
> app that isn't using rdmacm will need patching and support for RDMAOE
> (certainly all mine will). libibverbs shouldn't overload the existing
> transport_type checks for something that is not 100% compatible with
> IB.

Good catch - I agree that the ABI should be 100% backward compatible,
and we will fix this.
We can add a sysfs option to query the transport type, or add another verb

Note that application does not need to query the transport type, but we
thought it can be good to know also from debug perspective.
Thus I think sysfs is the best place.

Opinions?

Tziporet

* Re: RDMAoE verbs questions
       [not found]             ` <20091125045244.GJ1966-ePGOBjL8dl3ta4EC/59zMFaTQe2KTcn/@public.gmane.org>
@ 2009-11-25 12:01               ` Jeff Squyres
From: Jeff Squyres @ 2009-11-25 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Gunthorpe; +Cc: linux-rdma-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

On Nov 24, 2009, at 11:52 PM, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> > OMPI uses RDMACM (among others), so I'm not sure I follow what
> you're
> > asking me...?
>
> I think I'm asking you about the non RDMACM stuff in openmpi, ibcm,
> xoob, etc. I can't tell at glance if any of them will be safe to run
> on RDMAoE as-is..

Wait, I think I might have been mistaken.  I'm looking through the
patches this morning and I don't see the "don't allow host-loopback if
it's IBoE" logic.  The only places I see the check for real IB vs.
IBoE is when deciding to use IBCM or OOB connection schemes (which, as
Pasha said, are designed to be [real] IB only).

But, as you mentioned, there definitely are apps that don't use RDMACM
and use an "out of band" (i.e., OOB) mechanism for making IB QP's.
They therefore might have similar issues (need to check for real IB
vs. IBoE).

Sorry for the confusion... I'm going to chalk it up to the fact that
it was late at night when I sent that.  :-)

--

@ 2009-11-25 11:52       ` Jeff Squyres
       [not found]         ` <10904370-1D66-4013-BB3F-0F4B5EE581EE-FYB4Gu1CFyUAvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: Jeff Squyres @ 2009-11-25 11:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Or Gerlitz; +Cc: Liran Liss, linux-rdma-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

On Nov 25, 2009, at 2:25 AM, Or Gerlitz wrote:

> > I was reviewing Mellanox's Open MPI patches for RDMAoE support
>
> Can you send us point to the patch series (mail thread or some
> repository where they sit)?

Here's one thread:

http://www.open-mpi.org/community/lists/devel/2009/11/7063.php

the latest patch in that thread is here:

http://www.open-mpi.org/community/lists/devel/2009/11/7119.php

Here's another thread with a slightly different thread, but with
elements of IBoE support in it:

http://www.open-mpi.org/community/lists/devel/2009/11/7120.php

> > 1. It looks like there is a new field on the ibv_port_attr struct:
> > transport. Is it expected that all device drivers will start filling
> > in this value, or is it done in the OF core code somewhere?
> Please note that this field isn't present in the distro provided IB
> stack and hence it is highly recommended to avoid referring it in your
> code,

FWIW: we have configure tests checking for this field (just like we
have configure tests checking for transport_type, because that wasn't
always there, either).  However, it is a little disturbing that based
on this conversation, that field name may change, and therefore we'll
have to add *more* configure logic to figure out what exact field to
check.  The same is true for all the IBoE code -- since none of that
code has been approved yet, it's risky to base any code off it.  :-\

> as least some of us (...) are for decoupling ompi from ofed, so
> lets not put sticks in the wheels of that process.

Hear hear (let's remove MPI from OFED! :-) ).  But I think that this
is a separate issue.

--

       [not found] ` <209ECE49-3AB9-4E62-B825-54E474321FA6-FYB4Gu1CFyUAvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
@ 2009-11-25  7:25   ` Or Gerlitz
       [not found]     ` <4B0CDBEC.1030203-smomgflXvOZWk0Htik3J/w@public.gmane.org>
From: Or Gerlitz @ 2009-11-25  7:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Squyres, Liran Liss; +Cc: linux-rdma-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

Jeff Squyres wrote:
> I was reviewing Mellanox's Open MPI patches for RDMAoE support
Hi Jeff,

Can you send us point to the patch series (mail thread or some
repository where they sit)?

> 1. It looks like there is a new field on the ibv_port_attr struct:
> transport. Is it expected that all device drivers will start filling
> in this value, or is it done in the OF core code somewhere?
Please note that this field isn't present in the distro provided IB
stack and hence it is highly recommended to avoid referring it in your
code, as least some of us (...) are for decoupling ompi from ofed, so

       [not found]         ` <DD0B6BCA-5892-4CA9-8F5D-87C6CC1189DC-FYB4Gu1CFyUAvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
@ 2009-11-25  4:52           ` Jason Gunthorpe
       [not found]             ` <20091125045244.GJ1966-ePGOBjL8dl3ta4EC/59zMFaTQe2KTcn/@public.gmane.org>
From: Jason Gunthorpe @ 2009-11-25  4:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Squyres; +Cc: linux-rdma-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 09:12:53PM -0500, Jeff Squyres wrote:
> On Nov 24, 2009, at 7:11 PM, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
>
> >Is the same true for openmpi? If you try to run it as is on a RDMAOE
> >interface will it work? If not I think that alone should kill this
> >idea..
> >

> OMPI uses RDMACM (among others), so I'm not sure I follow what you're
> asking me...?

I think I'm asking you about the non RDMACM stuff in openmpi, ibcm,
xoob, etc. I can't tell at glance if any of them will be safe to run
on RDMAoE as-is..

At least it looks like there are some basic problems, like oob doesn't
exchange a GID, or setup the AH to use a GRH.

Basically, if setting transport_type == IB for RDMAoE breaks existing
stuff then it probably isn't a good strategy.

@ 2009-11-25  2:12       ` Jeff Squyres
       [not found]         ` <DD0B6BCA-5892-4CA9-8F5D-87C6CC1189DC-FYB4Gu1CFyUAvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: Jeff Squyres @ 2009-11-25  2:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Gunthorpe; +Cc: linux-rdma-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

On Nov 24, 2009, at 7:11 PM, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> Is the same true for openmpi? If you try to run it as is on a RDMAOE
> interface will it work? If not I think that alone should kill this
> idea..

OMPI uses RDMACM (among others), so I'm not sure I follow what you're
asking me...?

The checks that I was referring to was when OMPI is checking
reachability (before it makes QPs).  If the peer proc is on the same
server, if it's real IB, OMPI concludes "yes, this works".  If the
peer proc is on the same server and it's IBoE, OMPI concludes "no,
this won't work."

But I'm not actually sure that's a 100% standards compliant test.  We
have a long-standing bug ticket open to change this test to actually
try to open a QP to the same host and see if it works rather than
relying on the transport_type.  However, all [real] IB devices that we
run with seem to obey this semantic.  So there's at least historical
precedent...?  (that might be a weak argument)

--

@ 2009-11-25  0:11   ` Jason Gunthorpe
       [not found]     ` <20091125001136.GP6188-ePGOBjL8dl3ta4EC/59zMFaTQe2KTcn/@public.gmane.org>
From: Jason Gunthorpe @ 2009-11-25  0:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Squyres; +Cc: linux-rdma-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 06:23:15PM -0500, Jeff Squyres wrote:

> 2. I am somewhat confused by the overloading of the term "transport".
> It appears that a device will have
> ibv_device.transport_type==IBV_TRANSPORT_IB for both IB and RDMAOE
> devices.  The only way to tell the difference is to examine the new
> ibv_port_attr.transport field to see if it is RDMA_TRANSPORT_IB or
> RDMA_TRANSPORT_RDMAOE.

I haven't seen these patches but this seems poor to me. I think any
app that isn't using rdmacm will need patching and support for RDMAOE
(certainly all mine will). libibverbs shouldn't overload the existing
transport_type checks for something that is not 100% compatible with
IB.

Is the same true for openmpi? If you try to run it as is on a RDMAOE
interface will it work? If not I think that alone should kill this
idea..

Jason

* RDMAoE verbs questions
@ 2009-11-24 23:23 Jeff Squyres
       [not found] ` <209ECE49-3AB9-4E62-B825-54E474321FA6-FYB4Gu1CFyUAvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: Jeff Squyres @ 2009-11-24 23:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-rdma-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

I was reviewing Mellanox's Open MPI patches for RDMAoE support this
afternoon and came up with the following general questions:

1. It looks like there is a new field on the ibv_port_attr struct:
transport.  Is it expected that all device drivers will start filling
in this value, or is it done in the OF core code somewhere?
Regardless of where this value is supposed to be filled in, does the
Mellanox patch to community OFED ensure that this value is properly
initialized regardless of what device is used?  (this issue came up in
the OMPI review: whether we could *always* rely on this value being
accurate, or whether it was only accurate when Mellanox devices are
used -- and it should be considered uninitialized when other devices
are used)

2. I am somewhat confused by the overloading of the term "transport".
It appears that a device will have
ibv_device.transport_type==IBV_TRANSPORT_IB for both IB and RDMAOE
devices.  The only way to tell the difference is to examine the new
ibv_port_attr.transport field to see if it is RDMA_TRANSPORT_IB or
RDMA_TRANSPORT_RDMAOE.

This disparity seems a little odd to me.  They're both called
"transport" -- so why are they split across two fields?  Is there a
reason for not simply creating a new ibv_transport_type enum value
named IBV_TRANSPORT_RDMAOE and assigning that to the
ibv_device.transport_type field?

I'm *guessing* that Mellanox wants legacy code checking for the
ibv_device.transport_type value IBV_TRANSPORT_IB to work for RDMAOE
devices as well...?  If that's correct:

2a. That assumption seems risky -- the Open MPI RDMAOE patch implies
that host loopback is not supported in RDMAOE mode (but it is in IB
mode).  To be clear, the OMPI code had to do something different for
real IB vs. RDMAOE in at least 1 or 2 places.

2b. Can we come up with a different/better name for the
ibv_port_attr.transport field name and enum values?  Overloading the
term "transport" across two fields is quite confusing IMHO.  Example:
ignoring the code, how do Mellanox engineers refer to these two
different characteristics?  I ask because this might help come up with
better struct names.  The existing verbs code base has a long-
established "transport_type" field on the ibv_device struct which,
obviously, should not be changed.  If you now distinguish
"IBV_TRANSPORT_IB" devices as either real IB and IBoE, how do you
refer to this 2nd characteristic in spoken/written text?

Thanks!